Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [RFXCrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL, cutoff for amount of racers??? Better say that louder, I don't think NYRR and the NYC Marathon RD's can hear you.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [Jon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since when did triathletes start having a image as jerks ? The people in the financial industry have here a long time. You probably did not know they were from the financial industry because they are all pretty much not jerks.

Quote | Reply
I think a point to point race with the swim and part of the bike in Harriman might actually make the most sense. Finish bike in NJ, run 9W to GW Bridge and finish the marathon in Central Park.
-----------------------------------
Yea, I was thinking that too but you have two states involved....but I would like that race. I agree the best venue would be a point to point.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's the angle the Bloomberg story took, the article doesn't actually quote WTC as wanting to target financial professionals. Continue to bash WTC if you want but at least get the story straight.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Jon [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jon wrote:
I did not say people were jerks. I said that I worry about triathletes having an image as jerks. If it becomes a sport just targeting the very wealthy, or a sport that only the wealthy participate in, the average person may hear "triathlete" and think "jerk."

In places that have IM's, I know some of the locals get pissed at triathletes because they feel a sense of entitlement to train on the IM courses all year long even if they are in heavily trafficked area where it is not a great idea to bike. Talk to some locals in Lake Placid some time about the behavior of the cyclists riding bikes with aerobars on them, and you will know what I mean.

I also said it would be hard for me to resist signing up for the race. Jeez - gotta watch what you say on slowtwitch.

Do you think that about Yachtsmen, or Polo players or those Red Bull flyer guys? Pretty sure all those folks are filthy rich and I don't just assume they are jerks.
The few always ruin it for the many.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [gboulouk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the NYC should be a great place for a race and I can see it being a logistical nightmare. Even though I am not a resident, I think, if any city can pull it off is NYC.
Congrats to Wall Street thugs, they got their race, or I should not jump the gun until it is official.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I say send the bike through the tougher parts of the city... Call it the "NYC Warrior - Survive it if you can"
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [Chris G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chris G wrote:
jackmott wrote:
these guys can't even handle getting events right in depopulated areas like Mississippi and rural china and they think they can handle nyc?

oooookay!

Really? Ever been to a WTC event? You can bitch about them all you want but they know how to put on an event. Is there any other group out there who could be expected to pull off a first time event with 2500 people in it nearly as well? While everyone raves about their local guy/gal RD and the grassroots feel nonsense, 250 racers and 2500 is not remotely the same undertaking.

I disagree that "WTC knows how to put on an event". They get by as cheaply as they can.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [atomic916] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

"Ironman competitors have an average annual income of $161,000, according to World Triathlon."

“Our athletes come from a very high demographic profile, with high incomes and a high status within their professional pursuits,” Meckfessel said.

Really? $161k per year?

I'm a sucka b/c I'd do it, regardless of the entry fee, but our household doesn't make $161k annually?

Last edited by: dajeeman357: May 11, 11 9:50
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [dajeeman357] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's because its the "average." Theres probably a handful of people that just make a killing, and that throws the numbers off big time. A more realistic stat would be the median income, which we'll probably never see because I'm sure its much, much lower.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [mgalluzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is from the USAT website. it's probably 2 year old info...

Income
Average income: $126,000

12.9% have incomes under $50K
14.5% have incomes $50-74,999
16% have incomes $75-$99,999
23.4% have incomes $100-$149,999
12.1% have incomes $150-$199,999
8.4% have incomes $200-$299,999
5.5% have incomes over $300K

edit to add link: http://www.usatriathlon.org/about-usat/demographics

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Last edited by: Printer86: May 11, 11 10:07
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [Zulu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zulu wrote:
if it happens i think we can expect to see a new level of pricing for "Premier Events" or something similar and wouldnt be surprized to see pricing in or around the $1 000 mark...

And I'll bet it sells out in under an hour at that price or more. I'm interested: NYC would make a great race destination. Much better than most of the other venues in NA.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bmanners wrote:
Since when did triathletes start having a image as jerks ? The people in the financial industry have here a long time. You probably did not know they were from the financial industry because they are all pretty much not jerks.
---------------------------------

Agreed - I'm a manhattan based finance guy and universally considered a lovely person
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't see why they would want to restrict a city-wide race to only one of it's counties. I believe the city can accommodate this, but Manhattan alone cannot.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This would be an awesome event. The NYC Nautica Olympic tri was a blast and I can see pulling off a 140.6. I'm in!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [camo76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
camo76 wrote:
bmanners wrote:
---------------------------------

Agreed - I'm a manhattan based finance guy and universally considered a lovely person
Okay let's not get out of hand now :0) <insert pinky text.

Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [Printer86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting stuff....the only thing is that's data from everyone registered with USAT. I would imagine it is different from data collected from people doing IMs. But now I'm just getting off topic
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [mgalluzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's the best part of the quotes from the guy who runs WTC:

“There are a lot of entities and moving parts and permits that need to be completed,” Meckfessel said in a telephone interview. “This is permitting on steroids when it comes to New York.”

leave it to the WTC to use the word steroids in discussing a sporting event. They can't even do the littlest thing right.

-------------------------------------
You don't have to like what I say but you should respect my right to say them and I'll do the same to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone else think it's weird that the article says

Ironman world champion Chris McCormack of Australia will speak at a June 7 event at theHarvard Club of New York City to discuss “New York City’s Newest Triathlon,” according to a listing on the Active.com website.

I wouldn't have picked Macca as the guy who's gonna make an announcement about a new WTC race
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [Hot Tamales] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hot Tamales wrote:
Chris G wrote:
jackmott wrote:
these guys can't even handle getting events right in depopulated areas like Mississippi and rural china and they think they can handle nyc?

oooookay!

Really? Ever been to a WTC event? You can bitch about them all you want but they know how to put on an event. Is there any other group out there who could be expected to pull off a first time event with 2500 people in it nearly as well? While everyone raves about their local guy/gal RD and the grassroots feel nonsense, 250 racers and 2500 is not remotely the same undertaking.

I disagree that "WTC knows how to put on an event". They get by as cheaply as they can.

The WTC rarely actually put on the event themselves but instead license the Ironman brand to other race event companies/directors. In their defence, they do seem to take the quality of the event seriously if you consider as an example how they handled the Miami 70.3 debacle last year. At least Korff is experienced in putting on Triathlons in this city which at least gives him a head start over other possible event companies.

-----------------------------------------------
www.true-motion.com Triathlete Casual Wear since 2007
(Twitter/FB)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Positioning themselves for an IPO...only a fool would buy WTC at today's bubble evaluations though.

When they kick at your front door, How you gonna come?
With your hands on your head
Or on the trigger of your gun
Paul Simonon
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [SpicedRum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Macca is the current WTC "World Champion".

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
who has said he's not doing Kona this year and has expressed his frustration with WTC. I just can't believe he's the guy who will be announcing a new WTC race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Target towards cash heavy yuppies for sure. Pretty much all IMs do this, but the venue here will attract all the NYC/DC fat cats.

I predict $1000+ dollar entry fees.
Quote Reply

Prev Next