Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ultra-tri-guy wrote:
Remember,these days "an Ironman race"means anything from an
Olymipc distance to a 70.3 to what we used to call " an Ironman" ...

Maybe by the time the race is comfirmed Ironman will have started hosting sprint distance Ironmans as well..

-----------

Where is this true? (other than in ST forum lore)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [gboulouk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't the Hudson River kind of a cess pool that makes the Ohio River for IMKY look like swimming in Evian?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Few things.

1) I think someone up top suggested having T1 in NJ and T2 in Manhattan. I am not a logistics expert, but if someone can pull that off for an Ironman, I give them a cookie.
2) I would be completely shocked if they were to cross the GW bridge in any way or form. No way. Not happening.
3) The swim is the easy part - if you dont consider the currents that want to suck you out to the Atlantic. Opps.
4) The bike will be brutal. No way they can stay on Manhattan for the bike.

Options
1) East to long island
2) Up to Westchester and up near Poughkepsie,
3) West to NJ.

However:
1) Very tough to get through Queens/Brooklyn. Doable, but tough. Main avenues cant be closed to traffic all day.
2) Go through the bronx? Really? Once past that, it could be doable...again..closing roads for more than 5-6 hours...very tough 3) Very tough

5) Run portion. Two loops of 13 miles?...I thought the circle for central park was something like 6-8 miles. 3 laps of Central Park. eck.

I would be very interested to see this course. Would venture to guess. cross roads would need to remain open on the course. The course would have to move away from the city in some fashion, but most likely loops would need to be included.

nevertheless, people will do it.

oh and doing math....3,000 triathletes paying $850 a pop = $2.6 million. Add in sponsors and such, revenue can be $7-$8 million, but still...some bridges and roads are just too busy to close for one whole day...on a sunday.
Last edited by: Cervelo Apple: May 11, 11 6:27
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
anyone taking over/under on the entry fee?

-mike

No hotel, no airfare - start and finish in NYC - I'd pay 1k easily - be a lot cheaper than any other 140.6 race I could chose from.

As for the location - does IMLP take place just in LP - no - most don't - so leaving the city for most of the ride and bike - who cares.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [Cervelo Apple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cervelo Apple wrote:
2) I would be completely shocked if they were to cross the GW bridge in any way or form. No way. Not happening.
5) Run portion. Two loops of 13 miles?...I thought the circle for central park was something like 6-8 miles. 3 laps of Central Park. eck.

The GWB is undergoing major repairs now with preparation of replacing the upper span and ramps in the next couple years (In NYC construction terms, that means the next several years). So it wil be a complete mess in 2012 and 2013

I believe with Harlem Hill added, the full loop is 6.1 miles. double and quadruple eck
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's zero chance that the Central Park Conservancy is going to issue a permit to basically shutdown the entire loop in CP for a full day on the weekend in the summer. The marathon only shuts down the lower loop and part of the west side for part of the day and it's (1) in November when not too many other people care about being in CP and (2) it's the marathon with 40,000 people doing it so the economic impact to the city is massive and, everyone knows someone doing it (that will not be the case with just ~2,000 people doing an ironman).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bmanners wrote:
On a Sunday.

Having lived in Manhattan for three years, I agree. This is the only reasonable option. Traffic in Manhattan on Sundays is actually pretty light. Especially in the AM.

The bike would have to go North into Westchester county. Long Island is not an option. Queens and Brooklyn are too corwded, and the traffic in Nassau County is too heavy.

I bet it will be some form of two loop run going through the streets of Manhattan and ending in Central Park.

http://www.EpixGear.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [DougRob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope it is a sixty mile loop that goes by my house.

Quote | Reply
For the location and potentially super fast swim time sign me up...no airfare, hotel etc...I'm in!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [DougRob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
.....or for the bike they can do 100 loops of a 1 block rectangle in Manhattan and use race entry fees to have the businesses within the block to close for the day.
....and then have the run around the same 1 block rectangle. 26 loops.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bmanners wrote:
I hope it is a sixty mile loop that goes by my house.

Yeah, close the Garden State Parkway. Going over the Driscoll Bridge would be a hoot.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [gj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are lots of races in the Hudson and the water is fine.

They have the same problems any other metro waterway will have with street runoff after strong storms.

But as these things go, there's nothing wrong with the Hudson.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Start the swim somewhere around the Javits Center and head south towards T1 at the World Financial Center. Bike north along the West Side Highway and Rt. 9. Turn around somewhere in Westchester county and head back to the WFC and T2. Then run 2 loops up and back along the hudson, finishing at ground zero. Since I had 2013 as my year for doing an Ironman, I'd pay $1k for that.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it happens, this race would be on my "must do" list.... once.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [Printer86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Printer86 wrote:
Start the swim somewhere around the Javits Center and head south towards T1 at the World Financial Center. Bike north along the West Side Highway and Rt. 9. Turn around somewhere in Westchester county and head back to the WFC and T2. Then run 2 loops up and back along the hudson, finishing at ground zero. Since I had 2013 as my year for doing an Ironman, I'd pay $1k for that.

Dont worry...you will have to.

I can't wait for this race. I bet the average finish time is 16:10 as every wall street high flyer with a huge ego signs up
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [sinkinswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah, and make it a 12 hour cutoff. I know they won't do that, but they should.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Printer86 wrote:

That would be a great course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dunno, running a major race like that in NYC, I can imagine that the RDs would have a pretty strong impetus to bring the cutoff down. Having roads closed is expensive, having NYC roads closed has to be ridiculous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cervelo Apple wrote:
.....or for the bike they can do 100 loops of a 1 block rectangle in Manhattan and use race entry fees to have the businesses within the block to close for the day.
....and then have the run around the same 1 block rectangle. 26 loops.

Maybe they could use the Sri Chinmoy course in Queens that is used every summer for a 3100 mile running race. 5649 laps of a .5488 mile course.

http://3100.srichinmoyraces.org/
Last edited by: kcb203: May 11, 11 7:35
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
these guys can't even handle getting events right in depopulated areas like Mississippi and rural china and they think they can handle nyc?

oooookay!

Why are you always so negative about everything? Cheer up boy! Life is good!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually, it will be easier to handle logistics in NYC as oppose to less populated areas as NYC has a history and protocol on how to handle traffic re-routing, shut-downs, and such. NYC has hosted many major events, so this is not as hard as one might think.

Especially if most of the race takes place outside of the actual city, and NYC is used for the finishing line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
these guys can't even handle getting events right in depopulated areas like Mississippi and rural china and they think they can handle nyc?

oooookay!

Really? Ever been to a WTC event? You can bitch about them all you want but they know how to put on an event. Is there any other group out there who could be expected to pull off a first time event with 2500 people in it nearly as well? While everyone raves about their local guy/gal RD and the grassroots feel nonsense, 250 racers and 2500 is not remotely the same undertaking.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would be great! I've ridden over the new bridge b/w Sayreville and Perth Amboy which is fun. But cruising down the parkway would be awesome!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, it will be easier to handle logistics in NYC as oppose to less populated areas as NYC has a history and protocol on how to handle traffic re-routing, shut-downs, and such. NYC has hosted many major events, so this is not as hard as one might think.

Especially if most of the race takes place outside of the actual city, and NYC is used for the finishing line

--------------------
This is what I was thinking.

Maybe swim in LI sound or bay areas off the south shore. They would have some great bike/run options.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Last edited by: Longboarder: May 11, 11 8:06
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Jon [ In reply to ]

Prev Next