Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As someone who's been obese, I gotta tell you...having extra body fat does nothing. If anything I get colder.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
As someone who's been obese, I gotta tell you...having extra body fat does nothing. If anything I get colder.

That's weird, I always heard the reverse but I'll take your word for it. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [WhittleFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Day 41:
Swim time: 1:25:45
Bike time: 5:59:45
Run time: 6:31:36

Total time: 14:54:27

Day 42:
Swim time: 1:25:46
Bike time: 6:16:33
Run time: 6:41:45

Total time: 15:21:52

Day 43:
Bike time: 6:26:39
Run time: 6:41:08

Total time: 15:44:03

Day 44:
Swim time: 1:25:55
Bike time: 6:26:46
Run time: 6:32:07

Total time: 15:34:01

Day 45:
Bike time: 6:25:09
Run time: 6:30:10

Total time: 15:38:33
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally, I remember last year, at the start line of a local bike race, with nearly everyone in jackets, arm and leg warmers, plus wind gillets and most shivering.
I think the air temp was around 3°C
With a BF% of 31, I was in normal knicks and short sleeve jersey, and trying to work out whether I would need long fingered gloves (I did)
By the end of the race, I was more than fine, and starting to feel a little warm while in direct sunlight. I was also out on the road for around 40mins longer than the leaders.

Having a little extra bioprene does help, at least compared to those sitting well under 14%, but so saying, now down to 23% and not feeling that much difference.

I did still feel cold at my fattest, but only if not moving at all, once there was movement, I was able to stay warm easily.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [bluefever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluefever wrote:
PJC wrote:
kny wrote:
I'd give the guy a lot more respect if he were doing 112 days. I mean 112x112 is respectable. 100x112 is kinda lame.

Truth be told, I find this whole thing stupid and pointless.

Agree 112 would have been way cooler.

Disagree its point For him. You’re just jealous you are heading to your job whilst he is doing what we would all prefer to be doing. Day after day.

I can say with absolute certainty that SBR 15 hours a day, seven days a week is not something I would prefer to be doing. I struggle to think of anything worse.
agreed. i didnt want to do my easy 2.5 hr ride on the trainer with tv shows to watch.

i dont care what anyone says, this dude is an absolute beast. and hes raised a lot of money for a good cause through this... i cant figure out why everyone here is hating on him so much.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
Consistently sub 16 with a sub 15. I think he's got this going to 100. Clearly the guy has found a groove that works and he can repeat. Its the number one thing that most age groupers never figure out with their training + life workload. What's the balance that is repeatable for the entire year.

I know many people here are looking at every possible way to criticize the guy but I am impressed and cheering him on.

I just don't get the criticism of him doing something pointless. I spent 3 years on a bicycle touring the world which for many is pointless but it certainly wasn't for me. Who gets to decide what is pointless for others?

He does seem to be getting into a groove and I agree, it is now something he might finish so good for him.

Spot on.

Call it 100 Ironmans (Ironmen?), or 100 days of mind-numbingly boring exercise or whatever. Who cares?

It is an impressively pointless exercise. I like pointless exercises. <<<golf clap>>>

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [Cape_Horn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cape_Horn wrote:
Personally, I remember last year, at the start line of a local bike race, with nearly everyone in jackets, arm and leg warmers, plus wind gillets and most shivering.
I think the air temp was around 3°C
With a BF% of 31, I was in normal knicks and short sleeve jersey, and trying to work out whether I would need long fingered gloves (I did)
By the end of the race, I was more than fine, and starting to feel a little warm while in direct sunlight. I was also out on the road for around 40mins longer than the leaders.
Having a little extra bioprene does help, at least compared to those sitting well under 14%, but so saying, now down to 23% and not feeling that much difference.
I did still feel cold at my fattest, but only if not moving at all, once there was movement, I was able to stay warm easily.

This is in line with what I've read about English Channel swimmers. Thanks!!!

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i cant figure out why everyone here is hating on him so much. //

As far as I can see, almost no one is hating on him. Most folks here are in support of,z or at least in awe of what he is doing. I think what you see as hate is just people talking about how his event is being described and portrayed by the media. Of course he is running with many of those misrepresentations, but there is no real hate in those discussions.

I for one am glad his times are ticking down to about 15 hours or so, looking forward to seeing if he will have acquired a level of fitness to start to pop 14's or below towards the end. How cool would it be if on day 100 he goes 10 hours+!!!

Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
i dont care what anyone says, this dude is an absolute beast. and hes raised a lot of money for a good cause through this... i cant figure out why everyone here is hating on him so much.

Has it really raised a lot (any?) money for charity though? I see a link to donate, but no mention on his website about how much has actually been raised/donated. Last time it took a lot of outside pressure to come clean about the charity angle because it was a centerpiece of the marketing. This time charity seems to have taken a backseat.

Good for this guy for doing a lot of exercise - I certainly couldn't do what he's doing, but everything just seems a shade off about the whole marketing of himself and the event.

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tallswimmer wrote:
damon.lebeouf wrote:

Has it really raised a lot (any?) money for charity though? I see a link to donate, but no mention on his website about how much has actually been raised/donated. Last time it took a lot of outside pressure to come clean about the charity angle because it was a centerpiece of the marketing. This time charity seems to have taken a backseat.

Good for this guy for doing a lot of exercise - I certainly couldn't do what he's doing, but everything just seems a shade off about the whole marketing of himself and the event.

He sent the below e-mail out just a few days ago.

Thank you all so much for your support, and everything that you’ve done to support the cause! It is all thanks to you that we hit $100,000 raised for Operation Underground Railroad before the campaign was half way done! Because of this, we are raising the goal to $250,000!

The Conquer 100 has gotten off to a great start. I forgot how hard this was!

Some of you may be wondering - why in the world am I doing this??

After accomplishing the fifty, I knew I wasn’t done yet. Over the next five years, I rode my mountain bike to the top of Mount Kilimanjaro, ran 235 miles across Greece, competed in Xtreme Triathlons around the world, and raced the Xtri World Championship in Norway. I also competed in the T.V. World Premiere of The World’s Toughest Race – a ten-day adventure race through the back jungles of Fiji, and The Uberman, all leading up to my biggest project––Conquer One Hundred––racing a full-distance triathlon for 100 consecutive days, from March 1, 2021 – June 8, 2021. 140.6 miles a day, for 14 weeks, totally 14,060 miles.

I am also the parent of four teenage girls and one son who is almost a teenager as well. After watching the documentary on Netflix for Operation Underground Railroad, I knew that I wanted to get involved. I contacted O.U.R. and was thrilled to create a partnership to raise money for the cause. Human trafficking is modern-day slavery, and I was excited to get involved in freeing modern-day slaves, particularly teenagers and children.

100% of the proceeds of our Conquer 100 virtual race series will go to O.U.R. The race series is a virtual event for all runners of all abilities from anywhere in the world! It’s our way of celebrating our amazing community and encouraging everyone to get outside, push their limits and enjoy the global connection. You can click here to find out more information about the race series and O.U.R.
Last edited by: SayHey Kid: Apr 15, 21 9:56
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, cuz that charity is legit...pfft...

https://www.reddit.com/...amp;utm_source=share
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [WhittleFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Day 41:

Day 42:

Day 43:

Day 44:

Day 45:

Day 46:
Swim time: 1:25:47
Bike time: 6:45:17
Run time: 6:40:49

Total time: 15:54:55
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [Vegaskid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vegaskid wrote:

Wow! Just wow!

I also get a kick out of the term "proceeds" go to the charity. What every charity drive should be doing (and it is by law in Canada - perhaps the same in the USA) is disclosing how much of the raised funds go towards the "purpose" of the charity instead of paying for the administrative salaries and other costs like the equipment and supplies that go into events like this one. It is astonishing how many charities and initiatives have a only a small percentage of the money go to the intended purposes (<60%).

A great model of good intent is the Terry Foundation. I believe they are the charity that has extremely low cost in order to preserve the money raised for the people in need and not to fund a lifestyle/salaries/perks to the people involved.

Perhaps James is doing right by the money he raises but it would be wise for him to have a person publicly displaying how the raised money, including the sponsorship money is raised, is being used.

Sorry fans, but I am old enough to be wise enough that this does not pass the sniff or gut check test. My perspective can easily be changed if he would be transparent. But when I see a guy that does not have a job and is the sole money maker for the household living large, I can't help but be a non-believer - especially considering he really never seems to work.

Quote | Reply
AJHull wrote:
Vegaskid wrote:

Wow! Just wow!

I also get a kick out of the term "proceeds" go to the charity. What every charity drive should be doing (and it is by law in Canada - perhaps the same in the USA) is disclosing how much of the raised funds go towards the "purpose" of the charity instead of paying for the administrative salaries and other costs like the equipment and supplies that go into events like this one. It is astonishing how many charities and initiatives have a only a small percentage of the money go to the intended purposes (<60%).

A great model of good intent is the Terry Foundation. I believe they are the charity that has extremely low cost in order to preserve the money raised for the people in need and not to fund a lifestyle/salaries/perks to the people involved.

Perhaps James is doing right by the money he raises but it would be wise for him to have a person publicly displaying how the raised money, including the sponsorship money is raised, is being used.

Sorry fans, but I am old enough to be wise enough that this does not pass the sniff or gut check test. My perspective can easily be changed if he would be transparent. But when I see a guy that does not have a job and is the sole money maker for the household living large, I can't help but be a non-believer - especially considering he really never seems to work.

Haha, come on....

Take your shots but don’t make things up.

Considering he is a highly paid and sought after key note speaker, runs his own coaching platform and training group, runs his own merchandising company, has royalties from book, audiobook, and Netflix documentaries, has multiple brand ambassadorships, he is the hardest working guy who ‘doesn’t have a job’ I’ve ever seen😂

He is very likely one of the highest earning triathletes in the world.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [Sub12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even if he only raises $1000 for a charity, that’s more than they would have got if he didn’t do it.

Will be interested to see how much he does raise and if those slamming him, even give 10% of what he does to charity themselves.

But I know they give nothing, just complain.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
Even if he only raises $1000 for a charity, that’s more than they would have got if he didn’t do it.

Will be interested to see how much he does raise and if those slamming him, even give 10% of what he does to charity themselves.

So if people collectively donate $100k and the charity only sees $1000 of it, they should be happy because it's more than nothing....your logic is flawed.

But I know, people just blindly support no matter the red flags.
Last edited by: Mugen_EP: Apr 16, 21 23:00
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [Mugen_EP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mugen_EP wrote:
PJC wrote:

So if people collectively donate $100k and the charity only sees $1000k of it, they should be happy because it's more than nothing....your logic is flawed.

But I know people just blindly support no matter the red flags.

How much money have you honestly donated to charity over the last 5years?

Give us a break down of each year.

I’ll be honest
2020 I did $500
2019 I did $800
2018 I did nothing
2017 I did $2000
2015 I didn’t donate anything.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
Mugen_EP wrote:
PJC wrote:

So if people collectively donate $100k and the charity only sees $1000k of it, they should be happy because it's more than nothing....your logic is flawed.

But I know people just blindly support no matter the red flags.

How much money have you honestly donated to charity over the last 5years?

Give us a break down of each year.

I’ll be honest
2020 I did $500
2019 I did $800
2018 I did nothing
2017 I did $2000
2015 I didn’t donate anything.

This really isn't a c*ck measuring contest and I'd have to go back through tax returns for exact figures, but I do donate plenty. I also volunteer at senior living centers and animal shelters.

How is what either of us do/give relevant in the context of the conversation of the percentage of donations that actually make it to the charities in question?
Last edited by: Mugen_EP: Apr 17, 21 0:24
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [Mugen_EP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
charity's = charities
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are correct...posting from my phone.

Thanks for the catch. Corrected original spelling.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [AJHull] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's an interesting point, I didn't realise that "proceeds go to" can also mean "after the costs of this event are deducted" or it can mean " you donate and I will transfer it to good hands"

https://bizfluent.com/...n-money-donated.html

An ambassador for a charity should do some checks into the charity before influencing many people to donate and then present some stats for transparency. Thinking about now it's amazing Livestrong withstood years of scrutiny at the time of all the cases...must've been legit for sure

Whether the charity is bogus or not I would expect that all the equipment and media isnt paid for by donations to OUR, because it's not promoted like that.

AJHull wrote:
Vegaskid wrote:

Wow! Just wow!

Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SayHey Kid wrote:
... all leading up to my biggest project––Conquer One Hundred––racing a full-distance triathlon for 100 consecutive days....

Don't have any hate for the IronCowboy or the Event, but I'm also lacking interest (could not be bothered watching the Netflix special on his 50/50/50). Part of the reason for disinterest is the lack of any RACING aspect. Who does he think he is racing?

This got me thinking. Assuming he completes the 100 days, this would set an elapsed time of around 2370 hours to cover:
- 380km of Swimming
- 18,000km of Cycling
- 4,220km of Running (/walking).

In the spirit of writing your own rules I suggest the event is to see how long (in elapsed time) it takes you to cover the above mentioned distances:
- you can do the disciplines in any order
- and your day's activities do not need to resemble the Ironman distances
- for example you could spend the early days swimming 10km and running 40km.
- and catch up on the cycling mileage later
- it is simply the elapsed time it takes to tick off the distances for all disciplines
- might take some of us 3 years
- but I'm sure the true endurance monsters would clock it off well under 100 days.

What do people think?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Day 41:

Day 42:

Day 43:

Day 44:

Day 45:

Day 46:
Bike time: 6:45:17
Run time: 6:40:49

Total time: 15:54:55

Day 47:
Bike time: 6:38:43
Run time: 6:20:05

Total time: 15:37:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there a page somewhere that posts all days and the times for each day? Just an overall summary, I can't seem to find that page on the conquer100 site.

Thanks
Jean :-)
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [CementBottle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CementBottle wrote:
Is there a page somewhere that posts all days and the times for each day? Just an overall summary, I can't seem to find that page on the conquer100 site.

Thanks
Jean :-)

No, not seen anything like that on his website.
Quote Reply

Prev Next