Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s a tyr swim skin with tyr buoyancy shorts
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [aftermath312] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
full leg buoy shorts? I've watched the daily videos, he's wearing a wetsuit, if I knew how to post a pic, I would (ST sucks with adding pics, somehow a basic photo is "too big" for the file to take).

He's wearing a sleeveless top w/ full legging bottom, whatever that is. I assume it's a wetsuit, he's not in "shorts" .

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Mar 4, 21 16:39
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [chuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My question is for aches and pains and swelling, how does it get better if your still on your feet day and day? He's walking today because he literally can't run on his right ankle. When/how does that get better with what less than 8 hours of "recovery" before he starts it all over again. Are we watching his body break down already? Is this "normal"? I mean I assume some aches and pains are normal, but he just posted a video he literally can't run. How does the body heal up from that?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Theres an expression: does it hurt or are you injured?

Aches and pains are normal, theres not a day that goes by where several things arent sore or hurt. But thats much different than an actual injury. Soreness and pains can slow you down but they dont stop you from running. If he cant run and is literally just walking then its much worse than it should be at this point. You dont recover from an actual injury, you just make it worse over the course of several days. If youre injured and close enough to finishing you might be able to tough it out and skip on sleep from slower finishing times. But he isnt close to finishing.

I havent seen his IG or what kind of condition he is in but normal soreness at this point shouldnt even come close to stopping him from running. Maybe he is cramping or something along those lines which he can recover from?

I guess we will see in the next few days what happens. But if youre running a marathon and 3 miles in you have to walk because youre already in so much pain then your odds of actually finishing arent good.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When does the Eliptical get wheeled out?
(Only half pink)
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
When does the Eliptical get wheeled out?
(Only half pink)

well you already have drafting and buoyancy shorts so probably sometime between the ebike and fins
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [Vegaskid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
don't forget the IV bags...
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [chuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I think it’s his left ankle is really swollen, I guess from the pounding. His training partners or friends just IG’d that by taking it easy it’s getting better.

I’m not following the logic. I mean I understand if he can’t run he can only walk, I’m not sure how that helps it get better. 1 extra hour of Walking on is still time on feet. I guess the intensity of the pounding can be softer by walking.

They don’t seem worried nor did he. I’m just shocked we are here day 4. I’ve always thought 12.5 hours would be the goal which would leave about 10 sleep hours. He’s literally going to be 16 hours which means less than likely 6 hours of sleep.

I am loving his openness and hope he goes as far as he can go. If we are at this point in day 4, when is the day where your body “finds the groove”....like how’s he even going to get there! Walking a marathon for a week? Is he going to get a cycling show to fit the swollen foot?

I would have thought right now would be “easy peasy” efforts. Not avg 40 mins over “goal time”.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Mar 4, 21 18:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
So I think it’s his left ankle is really swollen, I guess from the pounding.

Is it "pounding" if his run pace was almost walking pace and the rest of the day is non-impact? Maybe he rolled his ankle or something. I can't imagine an athlete hurting their ankle from shuffle-walking.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In one of his IG stories he describes it as a "settling" process, I guess just aches and pains of an IM marathon every single day. And likely not much actual recovery. When your behind schedule on your IM's it also means your behind schedule on rest, etc.

Just being on your feet for what 6+ hours a day of walking is "pounding", his feet are blistered and already destroyed; he showed a pic on IG yesturday...blood blisters, etc.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From the latest Insta story, he just got carried to the car after finishing the marathon. His ankle looks very painful.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [WhittleFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's no way he can continue....correction there's no point in continuing if he can't walk. His last story was of him almost with an shocked look on his face as his ankle/leg/foot was getting treatment.

Hope he makes a smart decision, or the people around him make a good sound decision. Like this isn't healing up well enough for him to just "walk" the marathons. That seems to be why he may have fallen on the marathon walk today, his ankle is just that stiff/swollen. Almost like compartment syndrome

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [WhittleFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know this is challenge is a bit of a gimmick with drafting on the bike etc but I was really rooting for him because it would be an impressive feat both physically and mentally regardless. I actually thought maybe he had it in him with the experience of his previous challenge. Honestly though, today it really looks like things are coming unstuck. His latest facebook picture he physically looks like he can't stand unaided and mentally he looks done. If he can claw back from here I will be surprises and very impressed.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [TIT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TIT wrote:
I know this is challenge is a bit of a gimmick with drafting on the bike etc but I was really rooting for him because it would be an impressive feat both physically and mentally regardless.
Yep...I was all over him like the rule police during his 50x50x50 and he (and his legion of rabid fans) knew it.This time around though ,now that he has openly stated he has changed a lot of rules to his own way of doing things, I can't really see a problem as it is his party. As I said to some of my Ultra-Tri friends on Facebook, there really isn't any point in spending the energy trying to pick apart what he is doing as he doesn't care and his legion of followers don't either.That would be nothing but an exercise in frustration.
The first time around I was amazed at the physical feat of what he did but was against the way he did it. Now it is all about seeing how long he takes to fall apart or if he indeed does come good and starts getting faster,something that is not uncommon in these types of multi-week events.He is a tough motherfucker so I would not be surprised to see him get through this first week and start getting stronger week by week.
I am treating the whole thing like the SUB7/SUB8 and am putting it in the sports novelty box like so many of the challenges I have seen done by Ultra-types during COVID.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He can't *apparently* walk on his own anymore based on the social media posts of the final effort.......someone in his corner needs to think about his actual health and safety and not let it continue if he wakes up tomorrow and can't walk. Like there's no point in "gutting it out"....his actual health and well being can be on the line if he can't walk.

D4
S 1:25
T1 0:19
B 7:13
T2 0:29
R 6:49

16:16

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Mar 4, 21 22:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
He can't walk on his own anymore.......someone in his corner needs to think about his actual health and safety and not let it continue if he wakes up tomorrow and can't walk. Like there's no point in "gutting it out"....his actual health and well being can be on the line if he can't walk.

D4
S 1:25
T1 0:19
B 7:13
T2 0:29
R 6:49

16:16
You should see some of the shit they put themselves through at the Deca,Double Deca and Triple Deca,Most of it isn't healthy but it can be done. Smart thing right now,if he is indeed really badly off,is to stop and reset in a few days while he recovers. Doing and extra 4 as a logistics "warm up" isn't so crazy when you are trying to do 100 of these silly things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wasn't even too bothered about the fake elliptical running last time it's still a massive effort. But it's just not an ironman if you draft the bike. I know he wants people to grasp the concept of his feat but this is just misleading. .

It reminds me of when Dave Bilzarian bet that he could bike 300miles from Las Vegas to las angeles in 24 hours. That would be an awesome feat, but in the end he couldn't ride 40km so then takes the piss saying "ahhhh yeah but you didn't say anything about an aero cave convoy and recumbent !"

Except here IM did state it in the rules, no drafting or blood bags..... And with drug testing

IM is usually pretty tight on copyright but maybe in this case they decided to let him diminish the brand (" what's the big deal with doing 1 if this guy did 100 in 100 days..." in trade for the exposure since he tours for years after going to schools and on shows like oprah and can inspirational conferences so lots of people hear the brand and story of a journey
Last edited by: lacticturkey: Mar 4, 21 22:59
Quote Reply
Post deleted by RowToTri [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: RowToTri: Mar 4, 21 23:06
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's not fit enough to rest for 10 days or 2 weeks and re-start. I mean he could certainly do it, but from my prospective he's just not in the shape he needs to be in order to nail this. That's very evident in the fact that he's not really been close to his goal times yet. I've always thought you need to be doing these events in ~12.5hrs and it must feel "easy". So that a *bad* day is 14 hours......if a good day is 13 hours and your avg 14.5hrs, your going to run out of time for the most important aspect- recovery

That's why I argued so much that in reality he is in fact chasing the clock. Every flat tire, every 15s he sits on the wall, every mile he walks at 13 min/mi instead of jog/ walking at 10:00 min/mi is time he's losing.

There just isnt enough time in the day to do these events in 14+ hours leaving him likely less than 7 hours of sleep a night.
It was 11:30pm and his last IG post his house was a buzz with tons of people....that's not an environment conducive for proper sleep and recovery. Now of course it seemed like they were doing the humpty dumpty approach of putting him back together still at that hour. But he's on day 4 and his body is already screaming at him, and how's he going to over come that? What "aid" is going to be the solution this time.

Hell if his ankle is as bad as it is, he's gotta make sure he doesnt crash from not being able to unclip. That's a real concern when your ankle doesnt really work and clipping out. Balance while getting off the bike can be a real issue there, with the way your leg wont really move or give while the other leg is being forced to unclip.

I'm sure he's going to keep trudging on, and maybe the ankle isn't as bad as it is.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonden if the swollen leg could be dvt? But mostly I agree with you. He was not in shape to start this, waaay to slow from day one. It’s funny that he was the one giving advice to that weird cross fit lady, basically telling her he would train her to get in shape to be ready for her next try.. Now he shows up to do 100 doing 15 hour zone 2 Ironman’s his first day what a joke.
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [Cookiebuilder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
was hoping it was going be similar to the 50 in 50 , but really can not see it happening , from day 1 looks to be struggling with overall fitness

i watched the build up video blogs and from what was shown to much time spent on the pastry rather than the filling.

swim/bike/run would have been better prep that all the gym work and all the hype stuff .

if you doing a endurance event then train for one .

Am NOT a cowboy knocker and would love to have see it unfold and him to complete it.

finally don,t get the logic behind the swim being done in intervals ,that seems a waste of actual mins he could be moving forward
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.ironcowboy.com/conquer-100/

Goal times (daily)
Swim: 1:30hr
T1: 15m
Bike: 6:45hr
T2: 30m
Run: 5hr
Total: 14 hours

Day 1- March 1st - Swim: 1:24hr/T1: 17m/Bike: 6:48hr/T2: 30m/Run: 5:40hr = Total: 14.41 hours
Day 2- March 2nd - Swim: 1:26hr/T1: 23m/Bike: 6:54hr/T2: 30m/Run: 5:49hr = Total: 15:05 hours
Day 3- March 3rd - Swim: 1:26hr/T1: 17m/Bike: 6:43hr/T2: 31m/Run: 5:30hr = Total: 14:28 hours
Day 4- March 4th - Swim: 1:25hr/T1: 19m/Bike: 7:13hr/T2: 29m/Run: 6:49hr = Total: 16:16 hours
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the ig live of the swim, a girl says, "he didn't hurt his ankle, it's just hurting. It's red and swollen and it's been looked at and been addressed. It's just a matter of gutting it out and going to the pain cave."

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
D5 effort and ankle was described as "swollen and hurting" and today is an "gutting it out day" from his wife's description. Already announced they'll be walking entire marathon again. Which is what yesturday was (full marathon walk), so is this going to be the new normal?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Mar 5, 21 6:46
Quote Reply
Re: IronCowboy - Conquer 100 (100 IM distances/100 CONSECUTIVE DAYS)- results page [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The medical guys gotta explain this to me. How is an ankle's swelling / pain going to improve if your on it for 7 hours a day walking an marathon?

I understand walking is likely much less stress than running on it, but if he actually can't run and he can only walk, is this what it's going to be for the next 3 months? Like how's it going to get better? Sure he'll get daily massages on it, and treatment, but is that going to be enough w only walking for it to suddenly "get stronger" or heal up?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply

Prev Next