Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Interesting article against brick workouts [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
Ah, Endurance Nation. Never be afraid to give bad advice based on poor anecdotal evidence. First, they advise no swimming in the offseason. Now, no bricks.

If you want to read a REALLY interesting article on the PRECISE value of brick workouts - and why they are REALLY important - read the AIS study on lower-leg muscle activation during "normal" running vs. running off the bike. Then read the section of the conclusion where they explicitly state that running off the bike in training reduces the time it takes for your body to start firing your lower leg muscles "as normal" (typically, there is some residual carryover where your body is "confused" and still fires the muscles as if you were cycling).

But don't let actual, practical evidence get in the way of what a couple of hack "coaches" (using the term loosely) think.

Of course, rather than reading ANY study at all, you can think about one simple concept - specificity. Running off the bike is specific training for triathlon. Therefore, it is going to make you a better triathlete. But of course, that doesn't get anyone talking about your "articles."

Thanks Jordan, This is what I never understand: How do I prepare myselfy to run a 10K, 13.1, or 26.2 after a bike if I never practice it. Does something magical happen on race day as a result of never doing it in training. In the Army we always stressed 'Train as you fight', shouldn't we adhere to "Train you you race"?
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting article against brick workouts [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because I don't have the knoweldge to explain it with precisely I'll give a simple example.

Our bodies are hardwired to survive. In general our bodies really really don't want to die. As a result our bodies continually monitor the stress it experiences and learns how to copie with those stresses.

Now because our bodies really care about surviving it realizes that it should be prepared to cope with the regular amount of stress plus a little extra just in case something unusual happens.

Hence the reason our bodies can go above and beyond occasaionally.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting article against brick workouts [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
jayhawk. wrote:
2010 Bike: 6:16 Run 5:10
2011 Bike: 5:59 Run 5:01

You have a swimming background don't you?
Did you leave out 2009 on purpose?

2009 BIke 6:13, run 5:07

I would say he needs to drop most of his swimming and spend more time running. Those splits are clearly for a lifetime swimmer and MOP triathlete. Probably not the best guy to take advice from regarding how to structure your swim training .
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting article against brick workouts [jonahsdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am certainly NOT giving advice here! (you really can't on this forum without getting killed!)
I just put out there my experience (n=1)
You're right, I am a fish.
I am working on running this winter.
I AM getting stronger on the bike and run!
Certainly if someone is not a descent swimmer, they could benefit from techinque/form work in the winter.

Michael in Kansas
"Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit"
"Its not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up" Lombardi
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting article against brick workouts [jonahsdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
/wow, you took the time to find my splits from '09.!!!

BTW, I used to help with some medical advice a few years ago on ST to help people out....I got crucified by those who disagreed with me. I was just giving free advice FWIW!! Obviously I stopped that!!!

Michael in Kansas
"Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit"
"Its not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up" Lombardi
Last edited by: jayhawk.: Oct 28, 11 14:08
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting article against brick workouts [jayhawk.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jayhawk. wrote:
BTW, I used to help with some medical advice a few years ago on ST to help people out....I got crucified by those who disagreed with me. I was just giving free advice FWIW!! Obviously I stopped that!!!

What do you expect for someone that can't even spell orthopaedic correctly? :-)~

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting article against brick workouts [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. do you think the OP who is primarily on here to advertise a modified bento box expected this?
2. Jordan Rapp lives in America where free speech is a right.
3. I appreciate Jordan's insight and Paolo's advice. I deny the fact that a kitten dies every time they post.
4. Agree that the EN folks published an article mentioning evidence, but they did not publish or reference it.
5. I actually value the opinion of Jordan and Paolo about the coaching abilities of EN. I believe there is a big difference between a "coach" and a "person who emails you workouts with motivational articles".
6. Flame on

“I’m not going to stop yelling because that would mean, I lost the fight!” Kenny Powers
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting article against brick workouts [Sparks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Mike
I didn't mean to call anyone an idiot, especially a triathlete that does bricks because they have a full time job, family and everything. I actually think thats amazing that you always do brick workouts. I think what I meant was that if someone has time, they would probably not JUST do brick workouts if they want to go faster. You obviosuly are getting faster and are fast, but maybe you would be even faster if you had the time to do isolated workouts sometimes. So I take the idiot stuff back.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting article against brick workouts [runsliketurtle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
runsliketurtle wrote:
1. do you think the OP who is primarily on here to advertise a modified bento box expected this?

FYI, 2 corrections: I was on this forum well before I was in the Speedpack biz. Actually, some things I read on this forum inspired me to begin tinkering in that direction. And, finally, if you just look at (all) of my posts, you will quickly see that only a very small minority of them even mention the existence of our Speedpacks.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting article against brick workouts [TigerBlood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TigerBlood wrote:
What is really compelling about this thread, like so many others, is the psychology involved. To see otherwise very intelligent people reduced to clutching at straws to maintain their perceived dominance in an artificial world its very entertaining.

Not bad. Not only do you have an accurate assessment of the situation, your ability to put it into a concise sentence is impressive. Are you a writer? If you're not, it might be a direction to consider. I'm being serious.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.

--
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting article against brick workouts [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the wording of your posts includes includes a tagline for your product, therefore every post is an advertisement. i didn't intend an insult towards the bento box or your integrity, in fact i have strongly considered buying one of your products. I just find it funny that your single post generated a discussion which turned into a long thread about coaching ability/expectations with triathletes having the expectation that professional triathletes and coaches only post boring, professional opinions.

“I’m not going to stop yelling because that would mean, I lost the fight!” Kenny Powers
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting article against brick workouts [runsliketurtle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No worries, I understand.

But about the single post generating so many responses, I didn't expect that, but that's the internet for you. Sometimes things take on a life of their own.

--
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting article against brick workouts [tri_kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_kid wrote:
Hey Mike
I didn't mean to call anyone an idiot, especially a triathlete that does bricks because they have a full time job, family and everything. I actually think thats amazing that you always do brick workouts. I think what I meant was that if someone has time, they would probably not JUST do brick workouts if they want to go faster. You obviosuly are getting faster and are fast, but maybe you would be even faster if you had the time to do isolated workouts sometimes. So I take the idiot stuff back.

Don't worry, I didn't take offense to your comment. I freely admit that I do what I do because of time constraints. I'll be the first to admit that it's not the optimal way to train, but it's effective enough . . . for me. Now, if my schedule permitted, I'd love to do things differenly, but if I want to squeeze in the volume and frequency of SBR, then this is it for me.

Mike Sparks

I have competed well, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
Last edited by: Sparks: Oct 28, 11 17:58
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting article against brick workouts [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I run faster off the bike than I do in open running races of the same distance. My triathlon 5k PR on a true course is a full 20 seconds faster than my 5k PR on an open course.

My RPE is lower too.

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: Interesting article against brick workouts [SeasonsChange] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SeasonsChange wrote:
i remember the first time i did a brick, it was off the bike in my first tri, an OLY distance. my legs were felt weird for about 2 mins and things turned normal.

for triathletes, bricks are like speed work outs, likely only useful for the very elite of the field in shorter distances.

I disagree!

In any tri where the bike ride is over 20 minutes, after T2, it takes me at LEAST 20 minutes for my legs to work and run at a reasonable pace. I used to avoid brick workouts like the plage. Then for IMNZ 2006 I got a tri coach and he prescribed many brick workouts. I'd do my 5 hour rides and go right into a 1 hour run. I found that after about 8 weeks of doing that every week, I could get my 1 hour run route, off the bie, to within 1 minute of my regular run time on that same route. I'd still hurt coming off the bike, but a lot less, and I got into decent run form and speed a lot quicker than when not doing bricks.

OK so I was still an old slow fat FK, but for me, I found it made a huge difference to add a run to 1-2 rides each week.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting article against brick workouts [ZackC.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just out of curiosity...

Both Patrick and Rich are on Slowtwitch...why haven't they responded to any of the questions about the article? I am not talking about the "elite v hack" debate...more just the science and background of their article.

anyone?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You just had to open this can of worms again, didn't you!!??

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting article against brick workouts [JGell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, Rich posted today. Surely it would be worth their time to defend the validity of their program and the integrity of their qualifications for coaching?

I haven't gone through and read more than just the first page, so I'm not really sure how much mud has been slung, but surely no amount could be enough to vainly use the name of the deceased to fight a trivial personal battle against an outspoken critic...

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: Interesting article against brick workouts [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
You just had to open this can of worms again, didn't you!!??
When in Rome...

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that's due to triathlon's world renowned course-measuring accuracy.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting article against brick workouts [jpb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm...it's possible, but I would bet money that's not what's going on.

I've bested my USATF certified open 5k course PR on a tri course on several occasions. Not that that is necessarily evidence in and of itself, but there is something to be said for the fact that I've done it several times. Not only that, but my watch has also measured each of these courses to be essentially spot-on, or rather close enough that the substantial time difference between my tri course 5k and my open 5k couldn't be explained by a short course. I don't even put that much credence in that, but what really convinces me that I'm faster running off the bike than in an open run is that for a given pace (as read by my watch's GPS feature, and/or measured with a stopwatch on a track), my HR is lower, my RPE is lower, and finally, the instantaneous and average speed/pace on my watch is faster because I'm actually running faster.

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
perhaps you need to work on Hing TFU in open running races??
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting article against brick workouts [JGell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JGell wrote:
Just out of curiosity...

Both Patrick and Rich are on Slowtwitch...why haven't they responded to any of the questions about the article? I am not talking about the "elite v hack" debate...more just the science and background of their article.

anyone?

Hi Jared,

Please read this follow up, more detailed post, published last week, I believe. Patrick and I recorded a podcast to accompany it.

--

Rich Strauss
Endurance Nation Ironman 2013 and 2014 World Champion TriClub, Div I
Create a FREE 7-day trial membership
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting article against brick workouts [jpb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
perhaps you need to work on Hing TFU in open running races??

I'm pretty good at that, actually. Like I said, my HR is lower when I run off the bike, as is my RPE. I'm not afraid of pushing myself harder, I just can't.

My avg HR for the open half marathon is 183-187bpm, for the open 5k 193-196bpm (with a maximum of 200-204bpm in my final quarter).

I think it's pretty clear that my body has made some advantageous physiological adaptations to running off the bike.

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: Interesting article against brick workouts [Rich Strauss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Rich!
Quote Reply

Prev Next