Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I don't like "S" bends and these are the reasons why (link/photos) [Comaboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You make a very valid point that we discussed when shooting the X-rays. We did the X-rays without the elbow pads on. Now, truthfully, I don't see it making a hill of beans difference. I wanted to like "S" bends since they look cool. I tried them, I fit them, I adjusted them, I talked to aerobar designers about them, I adjsted them some more, I rode them, I raced on them, I tried multiple brands. Heck, I'd still try them...

So far though, I can't get them to work for me. My experience mimics most of our customers too. We just had to make sure we had enough ski bend extensions we could afford to give away on new bikes before we posted this review... :0

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: I don't like "S" bends and these are the reasons why (link/photos) [tryemdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom, Tom, Tom. X-rays went out with ski bends. Please resubmit with MRI images.

I can't yet speak to long term comfort, but I do find that with the T2 extensions I have more variety in hand position fore and aft as well as neutral to pronated positioning of the forearm and wrist. Like others have said, pronating and placing one's hands flat on top of, or along the inside of the extensions seems reasonably comfortable and is safer than the image you show where one's fist is clenched above the extensions.

Coach at KonaCoach Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: I don't like "S" bends and these are the reasons why (link/photos) [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No sorry...that's just old-age! ;-)

Just don't get any bright ideas about using x-ray to test saddle cut-outs, alright?

Dan DeMaio
---------------------------------------------------------
Life is like riding a bicycle.
To keep your balance you must keep moving.
- Albert Einstein
Quote Reply
Re: I don't like "S" bends and these are the reasons why (link/photos) [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That totally sucks!!! They look so much cooler! I'm bummed!
Quote Reply
Re: I don't like "S" bends and these are the reasons why (link/photos) [Daremo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Na, I am 6'5" and Ves got me the normal bars that fit just perfectly. It is all about fit.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Edit on Tom's signature:

"Take a look at the Slowtwitch Classifieds for ST exclusive discounts and sales on Blackwell "wrist-relief" Aerobars!!"
Quote Reply
Re: I don't like "S" bends and these are the reasons why (link/photos) [dongustav] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't even have any in the store!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check your PM Tom.

Regards,

Bryce.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe you should!! Your endorsement means alot to people here, I'm selling my s-bend stocks and trolling the classifieds to see how many will start dumping theirs cheap in favor of single-bends. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: I don't like "S" bends and these are the reasons why (link/photos) [UK Gear Muncher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Roger that Sir. I am juggling two fits and three web updates for tommorow right now so I'm a trifle over the top. I'll look in on it ASAP.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Impressive multi tasking as always Tom !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The irony for me is that I was considering them when they first came out and was convince to go ahead and get them based on a review by ... Tom Demerly!

I hated them from the moment I put them on. After a few days, I took them off and sold them on ebay at a loss.

Bob C.

The "science" on any matter can never be settled until every possible variable is taken into account.
Quote Reply
Re: I don't like "S" bends and these are the reasons why (link/photos) [UK Gear Muncher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check your "in" box My Friend.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Done and replied (but only when you have time).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just moved to Profile s bends from my Vision ski ends.....They have taken a bit to get used to......and for some reason my left wrist is uncomfortable...a little. While my right is just fine. I do feel that I am a bit more powerful with the s bends.....I am going to give it a little more time for final verdict......but I think that I will stay with the S bends.

I shall never misuse Rex Kwon Do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
impressive initiative and interesting info.

not sure i agree fully, but in any case, please please tell me that you did not expose your (and/or your wife's, friend's, etc.) arms to x-rays just for the sake of this web article !

x-rays are powerul ionizing radiation and are not good for the human body. it was really not worth it for the sake of this blurb.

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Re: I don't like "S" bends and these are the reasons why (link/photos) [Bladed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I own a pair of the HED Clip-lite's (S-bend)and the Oval A910's (single bend). I have the Hed's on my tri bike and the Oval on my road bike. I thought that I would try an experiment and switch just the extensions around and to my surprise, I was very happy with the results.

I really like the single bend Oval extensions with my Hed Clip-lites on the tri bike especially with the ways the shifters mount and the feeling over a long ride.

On the road bike with the Hed s-bend extensions and the Oval mounting system, I really like the position the s-bends give. I have them angled in just a bit towards the center and I am using a profile bridge. I can stay in the aero position for about a hour at a time which is fine for training.

It took a lot of trial and error over the years to get to this conclusion but I am glad that I tried it. The single bend for long rides and races just feels better to me on a tri bike. The s-bend feels a lot better to me on my road bike and I think this has to do with positioning as well.

When I am on the road bike, the s-bends feel very good and I do not have any problems with my hands hurting even after about an hour.

I guess it just boils down to a lot of trial and error to find what works best for you. Everyone is different and this works great for me.
Quote Reply
Re: I don't like "S" bends and these are the reasons why (link/photos) [GregX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought it was relatively safe. I only did about 20.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
20, wow.

well, no one can accuse you for not 'putting it all on the line' for your business and for your customers ...

please, for your health, don't do any more of these (x-ray articles), ok ?

Where would you want to swim ?
Last edited by: GregX: Feb 26, 07 14:09
Quote Reply
Re: I don't like "S" bends and these are the reasons why (link/photos) [GregX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I think Tom proved his point.

C'mon people, everyone get those double bend extensions BACK out of the bits box please...........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never liked S-bends and couldn't understand how some opt for them. Just because something is new, doesn't mean it's better. It doesn't take x-rays to figure that one out, either.

�The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.� -Michelangelo

MoodBoost Drink : Mood Support + Energy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate to be the odd man out, but..... I tried the three extention options last year & I found the s-bends to be the most comfortable.

Paul "Speedy" Gonsalves
http://www.rollingthundercanada.com
RollingThunderCanada

Canadian distributor for HED Cycling, Blue Competition, Akona Biospeed & Aerus Composites

Quote Reply
Re: I don't like "S" bends and these are the reasons why (link/photos) [Speedy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fiddlesticks.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
:-)

Fiddlestick/Devil stick (also Devil Stick, devilstick, devil-stick, Rhythm Stick, etc., or plural forms) manipulation is a form of gyroscopic juggling, or equilibristics and is generally considered to be one of the 'circus arts'. Sometimes called "devil-sticking" other terms often used are: "twirling", "sticking" and "stick juggling".
A "set" of devil sticks is made up of three pieces - the baton and two control sticks - but it will often be called a "pair of sticks".
Typically if a center stick is not tapered (i.e. a straight dowel or rod) and possesses tassels at its end, then it is known as a "Flower Stick" (as the tassels, when the stick is spun, will twirl outwards and resemble an open flower). This term is also now used to describe a straight center stick with any weights (not just tassels) at its end and sometimes refers to hybrid sticks which are both tapered and have weights. Tapered sticks without end weights are known simply as Devil Sticks. Flower sticks can also be properly called "Devil Sticks" as that is the more general term.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I've long suspected "S" bends are a bad choice for people. This feature on our website summarizes our thoughts on why "S" bends aren't optimal for most triathletes:

See the feature here:

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/features/sbend.shtml

Odd...I wonder if that twist could cause this...

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply

Prev Next