Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
ITU Yokohama 2015
Quote | Reply
(I've noticed more people are contributing to the ITU threads, so here is another one for you all!)

The next round of the WTS takes place in Yokohama, Japan in 10 days time. The course is the same as previous years, and to my taste, not one of the more interesting ones.

The start lists are up: http://wts.triathlon.org/...hlon_yokohama/270689

For the women, the most exciting thing (as a UK person!) is the return of Non Stanford, who has not raced since winning the World Championship back in 2013. Non is the only person to have recorded a faster split than Gwen Jorgensen (Madrid 2013 but that was probably because of the demanding bike course) although has only done it once. Gwen is there and will surely win easily, but I think we'll see Stanford and Zaferes on the podium...

For the men, Richard Murray and Jonny Brownlee are sitting it out. All five British competitors start with the letter B, for some odd reason (Benson, Brownlee, Buckingham, Bolden, Bishop). Gomez and Mola are lining up again. Last year, the Brownlees had a dreadful race because they only flew into Japan a 36 hours before the race and totally failed to acclimatise and looked like they were running in treacle. And I think the UK guys are doing the same this year. So unless it is cold and wet, I think Gomez and Mola are the favourites.

6 American competitors including Canute, Maloy, Shoemaker and Kemper. The young Aussie Jake Birtwhistle will be there too, but the French are less well represented than in recent events.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Yokohama 2015 [FeketeBlob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any idea why the Brits are leaving it late again? Seems silly to fly half way around the world and not prepare properly.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Yokohama 2015 [Barlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are two ways of adapting to Japan, which is very awkward in terms of time zones. You go two weeks before and acclimatise that way, which of course, means you need to organise training facilities, support staff etc, and is very expensive. Or else you go at the last minute, try to eat and sleep etc according to your home rhythms, and avoid the problems of jet lag that way. And this is what most of the athletes (not just the Brits, pretty much everyone) do. Gomez seems brilliantly adaptable. Alistair Brownlee finds it much harder (although Jonny had one his best ever races in 2013 following this strategy.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got it. Thanks for the reply.
It will be really good to see Non race again. Hopefully all the time away has got her 100% healthy again. It will be interesting to see how she progresses. If she gets back to her 2013 best, or better, then the Rio course could suit her very well. If Gwen misses the lead bike pack, and Non is in there, she could be a real threat to Gwen's gold medal.

Have you got any inside info as to whether Non has completely healed whatever injury she had?

Thanks,

Will
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jodie Stimpson slicing her foot open still makes me cringe

-

http://www.thetrinerd.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No inside info but public info from Twitter etc implies that things are going well for her. She also lives with Vicky Holland (i.e. they share a house in Leeds, not "living" in any other sense!) so where one can go, another can follow!

I don't think Non Stanford is a better swimmer than Gwen J, so I wouldn't expect her to make the bike pack first. But she is a better cyclist. I said on another thread that the two hills in Rio are separated by a treacherously steep technical descent with a sweeping narrow right turn at the bottom. The only strategy I can think of for beating Gwen J is for people like Nicola Spirig to throw themselves down this descent and hope that they can leave Gwen isolated on the next climb. It doesn't guarantee they will get enough of a gap on her but it is the only way to pressure her mentally. And if that doesn't work, she will be a most deserving gold medalist. I think Non needs only about a 45 second gap on a course like this to guarantee she won't be overtaken...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Firstly thanks for these threads .... I'm really enjoying the insights you're giving particularly with the UK guys/girls.

Sort of surprised you don't mention AB as one of the favourites alongside Gomez and Mola. I'd have thought given the issues he had last time in Yokohama he'd have figured out the problem and at least had a plan to try and not repeat it.

Good to see Stanford race again, be great if she can give Jorgensen a real race as the season progresses. Huge respect for Gwen's ability but the women's race have been pretty dull (except for Cape Town) so far. Not sure who can really step up and give Gwen a race. With her run being such a huge advantage and her ability to sit on the front swim pack it's tough to see how to beat her. I'd guess a tough / hilly bike is going to be the best opportunity.

I'm very interested to see if Birtwhistle can at least be competitive in the swim in a WTS field. He had a shocking swim in his first WTS race in Auckland and his day just got worse from there. As an Aussie I think (or may be hope) he is our best prospect for many years.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Yokohama 2015 [HKoldtimer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AB was booked to give a talk at the Keswick Mountain Festival, so Yokohama never featured on his original plans. I'm surprised he is going, to be honest, and I wouldn't be surprised if he was a late withdrawal. But I hope he races and races well. Although the people of Keswick may be feeling differently!

Since you mentioned Birtwhistle elsewhere, I've actually been reading up on him and I can see why you are excited. He seems he is a very fast runner but he has yet to demonstrate it in a triathlon (good running but not eye-popping, even allowing for his age.) He turned 20 in January, so he is about the same age as AB during the Beijing Olympics, if that is a helpful comparison.
Last edited by: FeketeBlob: May 6, 15 4:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder how much non has been swimming though, she might have been concentrating on swimming while she was out of running!

-

Quote Reply
Re: ITU Yokohama 2015 [Anth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anth, she had a plantar fascia tear originally, got back in training and suffered a stress fracture. I imagine that she must have been swimming far longer than she's been running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
maybe its my English, but that's what I meant

-

Quote Reply
Re: ITU Yokohama 2015 [Anth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anth, I'm not sure why I posted the above because I had nothing to add! Nothing to do with your English, rather more to do with my fast fingers and slow mind!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FeketeBlob wrote:
No inside info but public info from Twitter etc implies that things are going well for her. She also lives with Vicky Holland (i.e. they share a house in Leeds, not "living" in any other sense!) so where one can go, another can follow!

I don't think Non Stanford is a better swimmer than Gwen J, so I wouldn't expect her to make the bike pack first. But she is a better cyclist. I said on another thread that the two hills in Rio are separated by a treacherously steep technical descent with a sweeping narrow right turn at the bottom. The only strategy I can think of for beating Gwen J is for people like Nicola Spirig to throw themselves down this descent and hope that they can leave Gwen isolated on the next climb. It doesn't guarantee they will get enough of a gap on her but it is the only way to pressure her mentally. And if that doesn't work, she will be a most deserving gold medalist. I think Non needs only about a 45 second gap on a course like this to guarantee she won't be overtaken...

I bit off topic but given how well Nicola Spirig raced on her first ITU back. If he improves her swim then I don't see why she can't win in Rio. She is a very strong biker and runs well off a tough bike. the british team could do very well too. Helen, Jodie, Non and Vicky all like tough bike courses. Their main challenge appears to be not getting injured.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FeketeBlob wrote:
(I've noticed more people are contributing to the ITU threads, so here is another one for you all!)

The next round of the WTS takes place in Yokohama, Japan in 10 days time. The course is the same as previous years, and to my taste, not one of the more interesting ones.

The start lists are up: http://wts.triathlon.org/...hlon_yokohama/270689

For the women, the most exciting thing (as a UK person!) is the return of Non Stanford, who has not raced since winning the World Championship back in 2013. Non is the only person to have recorded a faster split than Gwen Jorgensen (Madrid 2013 but that was probably because of the demanding bike course) although has only done it once. Gwen is there and will surely win easily, but I think we'll see Stanford and Zaferes on the podium...

For the men, Richard Murray and Jonny Brownlee are sitting it out. All five British competitors start with the letter B, for some odd reason (Benson, Brownlee, Buckingham, Bolden, Bishop). Gomez and Mola are lining up again. Last year, the Brownlees had a dreadful race because they only flew into Japan a 36 hours before the race and totally failed to acclimatise and looked like they were running in treacle. And I think the UK guys are doing the same this year. So unless it is cold and wet, I think Gomez and Mola are the favourites.

6 American competitors including Canute, Maloy, Shoemaker and Kemper. The young Aussie Jake Birtwhistle will be there too, but the French are less well represented than in recent events.

thanks for starting this thread. i don't see zafares on the start list so was she a scratch or a recent addition?

yokohama isn't the most athlete-friendly race. it's not near any other races (geographically) and japan is expensive to live in. it makes a lot of sense to get your european training base dusted off about now and live/train there for the summer as ITU will be moving to europe for the summer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm really happy to see Lisa Nordén on the start list. I hope that her achilles is fine. Not much running on her Strava, but I dont think she logs too much of it there.

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Yokohama 2015 [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure Zafares was on the list last week. Only best of five races count, so the sensible thing is to pick and choose wisely, and KZ has raced all four so far, so that makes sense. Interesting that Gomez and Mola are doing their fifth consecutive race, great that they are supporting the series but I wonder if it is their longer term interest. But I think Alex Emetique pointed out that selection for Rio 2016 is a function of consistent racing for the Spaniards, rather than specific races, so that makes sense.

If anyone is curious who Heather Sellars is, she is another of the Leeds contingent: a student nurse who got good at triathlon and trains with Vicky H and Non S etc. She is having a year off to concentrate on the sport.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saller and Hewitt are on the start list too.

You are forgetting that you still win prize money even if you have maxed out your 5 races. $18k, $12K and $8K for the podium isn't bad considering that for many (most?) it costs them nothing to do these races because their federations are footing the bill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's great to see Hunter Kemper on the start list. Let's see if the old dude still has what it takes to represent the US.

I betting the "High Performance" folks at USAT don't' want to see him in Rio.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mag900 wrote:
You are forgetting that you still win prize money even if you have maxed out your 5 races.

And you take away points from a competitor. Lets say you win 5 races, then win the 6th, the person that finishes second place only gets the 2nd place points and not the first place number of points. So racing more than 5 races can help you get a bigger points gap going into the grand finale.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Non seems anxious to comeback and seems to fear the swim. People didn't notive, but Alistair was also in the shadow for Cape Town if you compare with his usual style.

I'm pretty sure Stanford was conservative for her comeback. She was supposed to comeback sooner and then got injured again. I think, she just restart to run in march. So, 2 months on a half. I hope she will come back faster than Paula Findlay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mag900 wrote:
Saller and Hewitt are on the start list too.

No, its Heather Sellars, not Sophia Saller (who is sitting maths exams at Oxford University, incidentally)
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Yokohama 2015 [newManUK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nicola Spirig have been there for a long time, not sure you can expect to see her improve her swim...

Also, it's important to not judge to quickly Cape Town. Short swim, A LOT of missing athletes like Hewitt, Jorgensen, Jackson, the list was really long. I wouldn't say that she can't win, but there are a lot of new talents around.

The germans girls are coming. To me Emma Jackson will be really dangerous. Stimpson, Stanford seems to be perfect for the Rio course.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Yokohama 2015 [alex_emetique] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_emetique wrote:
Nicola Spirig have been there for a long time, not sure you can expect to see her improve her swim...

Also, it's important to not judge to quickly Cape Town. Short swim, A LOT of missing athletes like Hewitt, Jorgensen, Jackson, the list was really long. I wouldn't say that she can't win, but there are a lot of new talents around.

The germans girls are coming. To me Emma Jackson will be really dangerous. Stimpson, Stanford seems to be perfect for the Rio course.

I'm a bit vague on her swimming pre London but she was a first pack swimmer?

PS I have at much money as you want on Emma Jackson not winning in Rio? Have you seen her ride a bike? Always at the back of the pack. Always losing ground on the corners. See what happen at the Commonwealths she had nothing left for the run (which normally is her trump card)
Last edited by: newManUK: May 6, 15 8:57
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Yokohama 2015 [newManUK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Emma Jackson is weak for bike skills but a really strong bikers. She is used to train with boys only and stay at the back. She was second at Kitzbuhel. She is a strong cyclist with a lack of confidence like a lot of girls. She should ask some tips at Zafares :p
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Her open 10k pb is 32:40 so maybe only 30secs when back to peak form?
Quote Reply

Prev Next