Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: ITU Yokohama 2015 [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pan-American games are July 11-12 in Toronto.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bloody hell mag900 what are you blathering on about lad.

You've got the inaugural European games in Baku which will be a multi sport event taking place June 13-14th and you've also got the 2015 European Triathlon Championships taking place July 9-12th.

Do a little homework before sounding off. You've got London and Hamburg either side of those.

Back on thread, great win for Gomez. First in 7 or 8 races so definitely a solid result for him. Never can be quite sure how Alistair's feeling, he's always going on about feeling terrible after each race. Still if he was then his performance was great, and a big improvement from getting trounced last year. Also personally I think he's good for him that Gomez beat him to keep him motivated.

Apparently Buckingham used to be knocking back 1:40 hundreds so there's hope for us all.
Last edited by: messien: May 17, 15 7:32
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Yokohama 2015 [messien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and the european games and european triathlon championships involve which athletes not from europe? if you are going to list races that have nothing to do with WTS's schedule, why not just toss in some 70.3s or IM races? eagleman and IM france are in that 7-week window as well. i'm sure there are some Life Time races the non-europeans could jump into during their 7-week layoff. i suggest that you do a little homework before chiming in again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
C'mon Mags. Breathe!

A huge percentage of the athletes will be involved in thos a Euro races or Pan Ams. Like it or not, you know that is part of the decision making process. Same with Rio. WTS isn't in a vacuum.

That being said, I think you make valid points about the odd scheduling. It obviously isn't entirely about what is best physically for athletes. Probably lots of negotiations with host cities, etc.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
messien wrote:
Bloody hell mag900 what are you blathering on about lad.

You've got the inaugural European games in Baku which will be a multi sport event taking place June 13-14th and you've also got the 2015 European Triathlon Championships taking place July 9-12th.

Do a little homework before sounding off. You've got London and Hamburg either side of those.

Back on thread, great win for Gomez. First in 7 or 8 races so definitely a solid result for him. Never can be quite sure how Alistair's feeling, he's always going on about feeling terrible after each race. Still if he was then his performance was great, and a big improvement from getting trounced last year. Also personally I think he's good for him that Gomez beat him to keep him motivated.

Apparently Buckingham used to be knocking back 1:40 hundreds so there's hope for us all.

Indeed, it would be extremely interesting to hear an interview with him about his swim progress from an age 26 non-swimmer to 18:30 for 1500 m at age 30. His evolution as a swimmer might be the most impressive for an AOS that I've ever heard of:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Yokohama 2015 [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:

Indeed, it would be extremely interesting to hear an interview with him about his swim progress from an age 26 non-swimmer to 18:30 for 1500 m at age 30. His evolution as a swimmer might be the most impressive for an AOS that I've ever heard of:)

Dude our main man Fekete actually linked a great interview with him on that very subject. Check it out, it's long and you can cut through the first section which just has the presenters talking but it's absolutely sick. Talks about it in great detail.

http://www.oxygenaddict.com/podcast/2015/2/3/cup-of-tri-podcast-007-mark-buckingham
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
messien wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

Dude our main man Fekete actually linked a great interview with him on that very subject. Check it out, it's long and you can cut through the first section which just has the presenters talking but it's absolutely sick. Talks about it in great detail.

http://www.oxygenaddict.com/podcast/2015/2/3/cup-of-tri-podcast-007-mark-buckingham

Cool, thanks, somehow I missed that but now I will check it out. Thanks!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
messien wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

Mess - Indeed, this is an excellent podcast. Just as you said, he started out swimming around 7:00 for 400 m but has gotten down to 4:40, just an incredible progression in about 18 months of swimming 6-7 days/wk. He is indeed a great role model for AG triathletes:)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Mess - Indeed, this is an excellent podcast. Just as you said, he started out swimming around 7:00 for 400 m but has gotten down to 4:40, just an incredible progression in about 18 months of swimming 6-7 days/wk. He is indeed a great role model for AG triathletes:)

come on which AG triathlete would be swimming 7 times a week? that progression doing 3 TI sessions a week and I would agree with you ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know that when Mark was first accepted onto the Trigold development programme there was a big focus on his swim. 1:40 per hundred is about right for what I saw when I first met him in the pool. I think he moved down to Loughborough which was a bit of a mecca for UK triathlon development at the time, before it all came to Leeds. He would have been full time at that point I think, it was (is?) a privately funded scheme and I think the athletes were paid a living wage.

I seem to think I heard something that when he first took up cycling he was quickly into cat 1 or 2 in the local BC races. I remember a guy at our club talking about it. Obviously a massive aerobic engine, but that kind of swim progression is incredible. I'd expect big gains if I swam 6 or 7 times a week, but never that quick.
Last edited by: knighty76: May 17, 15 15:40
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Yokohama 2015 [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
I know that when Mark was first accepted onto the Trigold development programme there was a big focus on his swim. 1:40 per hundred is about right for what I saw when I first met him in the pool. I think he moved down to Loughborough which was a bit of a mecca for UK triathlon development at the time, before it all came to Leeds. He would have been full time at that point I think, it was (is?) a privately funded scheme and I think the athletes were paid a living wage.
I seem to think I heard something that when he first took up cycling he was quickly into cat 1 or 2 in the local BC races. I remember a guy at our club talking about it. Obviously a massive aerobic engine, but that kind of swim progression is incredible. I'd expect big gains if I swam 6 or 7 times a week, but never that quick.

My theory on swimming, which has developed over several years, is that if you take a runner like Mark and put him/her into an intensive swim program, and if he/she has a fair amount of innate swim ability, then he/she can become a very fast swimmer if he/she is willing to put forth a lot of effort. A guy like Mark who can run around 8:00 or 8:05 for the "plain" 3000 m (e.g, not steeple) on the track could potentially swim 8:00-ish for 800 scm IF he really worked at it. I say this b/c the WRs for the 3000 m and the 800 free scm are both around 7:20-25 (800 scm WR 7:23.4, 3000 m WR 7:20.7). In sum, my idea is that a guy/girl who is equally adept at the swim and run should be able to go roughly the same % slower than the WR in events that have similar WRs.

Quote Reply
Re: ITU Yokohama 2015 [jakob1989] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jakob1989 wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

come on which AG triathlete would be swimming 7 times a week? that progression doing 3 TI sessions a week and I would agree with you ;-)

Not even the most talented swimmer in the world would make that kind of progress if only swimming the TI way, even w/ 7 TI sessions/wk. He/she would be really good at "gliding" though:)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
now that london is approaching will there be a new thread for london or will these one be the ITU thread going forward?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mag900 wrote:
now that london is approaching will there be a new thread for london or will these one be the ITU thread going forward?

Generally I think someone starts a new thread for each race.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A couple of points:

Mark Buckingham is 30, not 26 as someone stated earlier. He has had some good results in the 2nd tier competitions. He is still a mid to back-of-mid pack swimmer but on a course like Yokohama when there is no bicycle break, his run can come to the fore as we saw on Saturday. He lives with Lucy Hall (one of the best swimmers in female triathlon), trains with the Brownlees and Richard Varga, so he has the perfect environment to improve his stroke etc.

As for Alistair Brownlee, if you look at his career, many of his poorest races have come after traveling west to east. I remember when he won in Gold Coast in 2009, he said in the interview that he struggles to adjust easily and was relieved he had managed to acclimatise in Australia. But no real surprise that he struggled a bit on Saturday - and I have never seen him at the back before, apologising to Gomez for not being able to drive it. As a rule of thumb, if Alistair is not leading the run, there is something wrong. Paradoxically, I think it was a brilliant race from him all things considered,

Regarding the hiatus in WTS events, the main event of the year for most athletes is the RIo test event on August 1st and the ITU has bowed to the inevitable and allowed space for training and preparation (Hamburg being an excellent warm up sprint race).
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Yokohama 2015 [FeketeBlob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a great result for Mark but I think it's fair to say that this running isn't on par with AB or JB. AB was 2nd at the Northern XC and challenged for the win while Mark was 9th. Therefore he will have a tough time because he is trying to improve in all three areas.

However, if Lucy and Mark could swap their strengths for one day you would have 2 really, really good triathletes!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was good to see American, Summer Cook have such a good swim in Japan, but not so much on the bike. I saw on her blog she was hit by a car a few weeks ago while riding so maybe she was still suffering from minor injuries from that. Or it may have been just a lack of confidence/experience on the bike (in the wet) as she seemed to get dropped by every bike group. It reminded me of Gwen a couple of seasons back, so hopefully she can make the same progress as Gwen has done in the next couple of years to become a stronger, more confident biker. She was having to work very hard after every corner to stay in touch with the group, which has to have affected her run too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FeketeBlob wrote:
A couple of points:
Mark Buckingham is 30, not 26 as someone stated earlier. He has had some good results in the 2nd tier competitions. He is still a mid to back-of-mid pack swimmer but on a course like Yokohama when there is no bicycle break, his run can come to the fore as we saw on Saturday. He lives with Lucy Hall (one of the best swimmers in female triathlon), trains with the Brownlees and Richard Varga, so he has the perfect environment to improve his stroke etc.

Ya, while 4:40 for 400 scm is quite good for most people, it still pales compared to Varga's sub-4:00:)

Quote Reply
Re: ITU Yokohama 2015 [newManUK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think anyone is proclaiming Mark Buckingham as the new Messiah! But he's a good athlete and I'm delighted he has had a good result. He has certainly stepped up since moving to Leeds, where initially he found the Brownlee's training schedule a tremendous burden on the system. But he adapted and I noticed that he was quoted thanking them for his success in the British Triathlon report.

He did beat Jonny into 3rd place at the Auld Lang Syne - he's the guy in yellow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dEaer2tzuc but only in fourth at this stage!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought he was very realistic in that podcast that he likely won't go to Rio. Course doesn't currently fit him.

It was painful watching Summer Cook bike. Definitely reminded me of other athletes after recent crashes. Best of luck to her in getting her mojo back.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Yokohama 2015 [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought I would chime in on this as I have seen Summer's progression firsthand from inside The Triathlon Squad.

When Summer came to work with Paulo, after her stint at the collegiate recruitment camp, she had severe anxiety with riding a bike, let along cornering on it. She's put in minimum 2 bike handling sessions per week, and frequently shows up early to rides to practice cornering in the could de sac our squad resides in.

It was still hard for me to watch as well, but also extremely encouraging. Just like Gwen, she's got the drive and the desire to continue working on her skills.. Expect to see her holding lead pack position before long. I think she may have even managed it at this race without the rain.

-Eric

Eric Lagerstrom
Professional Triathlete
https://www.youtube.com/c/ericlagerstrom
http://www.ericlagerstrom.com
https://www.instagram.com/eric_lagerstrom/
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Yokohama 2015 [Eric_Lagerstrom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the inside look! Sounds like she's approaching it well.

Glad to see your squadmate Joe Maloy make the lead pack. Maybe with a stronger Alistair they could have stayed away.

Anyone know what happened to Kanute? He was towards the front on the first lap of the swim, but I didn't see his name when they went to T1.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Yokohama 2015 [Eric_Lagerstrom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eric, I've seen first hand pros riding crap tires over inflated to 200psi because they didn't know better. I'm sure the triathlon squad would never ride bad rubber, but please check her. Tires!

Eric_Lagerstrom wrote:
I thought I would chime in on this as I have seen Summer's progression firsthand from inside The Triathlon Squad.

When Summer came to work with Paulo, after her stint at the collegiate recruitment camp, she had severe anxiety with riding a bike, let along cornering on it. She's put in minimum 2 bike handling sessions per week, and frequently shows up early to rides to practice cornering in the could de sac our squad resides in.

It was still hard for me to watch as well, but also extremely encouraging. Just like Gwen, she's got the drive and the desire to continue working on her skills.. Expect to see her holding lead pack position before long. I think she may have even managed it at this race without the rain.

-Eric

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Yokohama 2015 [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some what off topic, and I know this will probably make me quite unpopular, but why are the girls so weak on the technique side of the sport? Watching them coming out of T1 and trying to mount their bikes was scaring. Then there are a lot of these girls who you wouldn't want to ride in a pack with. Strange when you think about other sports like swimming, gymnastics etc ..
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Yokohama 2015 [newManUK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow Leeds is going to be one of the ITU series race for next year! Firstly they'll definitely put on a good show given the huge successes they've had in cycling in recent years and the crowds should be fantastic. Secondly, this is utterly hilarious for the Brownlees. Must be an incredible feeling for them to know they'll be racing in their back yard. Hopefully the race isn't too close to Rio.
Quote Reply

Prev Next