Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: ITU Yokohama 2015 [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True we don't know what kind of running shape he's in.

My point was that even if he's in 28:00 open 10k shape that doesn't mean that he can post faster run splits than AB, Mola, Gomez, etc. in a tri.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Yokohama 2015 [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Following on from the Lukas Verzbicas announcement, Brett Sutton has written a blog:

https://trisutto.com/rebuilding-lucky-v/
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Yokohama 2015 [FeketeBlob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good hunting! Sounds like Sutto is approaching this intelligently. I really hope things work out for "Lucky V".

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks for posting. the part that i thought was ridiculous was when sutton said he has so many career options if triathlon doesn't work out. um, no. part of what is so tragic about LV is that his ONLY option is triathlon and that career so far has been stuck in reverse. it preposterous to think that he could become a SEAL. he would get bounced out of BUDS in day 1 with his me first attitude even if he could handle the physical part of it. hopefully sutton can rebuild him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought the SEAL thing was strange as well. However, maybe he's changed since the accident. Closest I've ever been to him is listening to interviews with Babbitt, but I do feel like he sounds different there.

Definitely glad I've advanced as a person since I was 17.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Yokohama 2015 [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He definitely didn't change post accident as he moved to florida, then san diego and then LA, leaving a trail of people less than enthused with him. hopefully he's changed with this latest move.

I was wondering where he has been because he hasn't raced all year but he has been training. It has to be hard training as a professional athlete with no plan and no races to be aiming for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What did he do or say to upset people?

I read the "SEAL" comment as the sort of magnanimous thing that coaches say to journalists about their charges, rather than anything more serious. Is it really true he has no options outside triathlon? Going back to the Malcolm Brown lectures I linked earlier, he made the point that they strongly encourage everyone to study academically alongside their training, which seems a good policy and it is a shame if Lukas has not done anything similar himself. But I know little about his personal life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well the rumor was that the real reason he left oregon was that he was failing his classes and wasn't going to be eligible in the winter or spring. part of the reason why he was so good in running was his singular focus on training and racing. he forewent nearly every normal pleasure most high school kids enjoy in that regard. he now has no degree and really no education and has managed to piss off a very large segment of the tri community. what do you think he could do to make a living at this point?

the SEAL comment was beyond preposterous given the extreme importance the SEALs place on teamwork and how there are probably few people on this planet who couldn't be any more the opposite of what they look for. he wouldn't make it through the first day of BUDS as they seek out to eliminate the egocentric and self-absorbed types. i remember reading about how BUDS classes often have superstar former D1 athletes in them and the ones with inflated senses of self-worth get bounced at that start (think star football QBs). this isn't surprising given that they are looking for the type of person who literally will fall on a grenade without giving a second thought in order to save his teammates.

i hope his has changed his ways or sutton can help guide him in that regard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting ...

How did he "piss off a very large segment of the tri community" though? I remember how pleased people were when he left Oregon to concentrate on triathlon, and they can't have been too unhappy with his results in summer 2012.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mag900 wrote:
well the rumor was that the real reason he left oregon was that he was failing his classes and wasn't going to be eligible in the winter or spring. part of the reason why he was so good in running was his singular focus on training and racing. he forewent nearly every normal pleasure most high school kids enjoy in that regard. he now has no degree and really no education and has managed to piss off a very large segment of the tri community. what do you think he could do to make a living at this point?

Well, he could always become a used car salesman, or sell life insurance:)

the SEAL comment was beyond preposterous given the extreme importance the SEALs place on teamwork and how there are probably few people on this planet who couldn't be any more the opposite of what they look for. he wouldn't make it through the first day of BUDS as they seek out to eliminate the egocentric and self-absorbed types. i remember reading about how BUDS classes often have superstar former D1 athletes in them and the ones with inflated senses of self-worth get bounced at that start (think star football QBs). this isn't surprising given that they are looking for the type of person who literally will fall on a grenade without giving a second thought in order to save his teammates. i hope his has changed his ways or sutton can help guide him in that regard.

You're dead on here, and this is NOT in pink:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm not going to flail him on here but ask some of the other ITU athletes what they think of him. better yet, when he did do his few ITU races, which pros did you see hanging around with him before and after the races? i think you will be looking long and hard...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Talking about education, knowing just how much swimming, biking and running the Brownlees were doing from their early teens onwards (they weren't part of any "programme", they just did it), you might imagine that they could not have had time to get much education. Annoyingly, they both were impressive "straight A" students, Alistair even managing to get a place to read Medicine at Cambridge which is extremely hard to do (he got it on academic merit, not the result of some sports scholarship). But given the amount of academic talent in triathlon (for example Sophia Saller and Marie Rabi are both outstanding mathematicians), I'd assumed Verzbicas would be similar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
let's just say that he is at the complete opposite end of the spectrum of the aforementioned. you also can add joanna zeiger to the list of triathletes with outstanding academic accomplishments.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mag900 wrote:
let's just say that he is at the complete opposite end of the spectrum of the aforementioned. you also can add joanna zeiger to the list of triathletes with outstanding academic accomplishments.

In fairness to Joanna isn't she a Dr but AB is a clever kid but actually took some pretty light weight courses to focus on triathlon?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've only heard similar things RE LV, hopefully that changes as he gets older/wiser.

Quote | Reply
The Yokohama race numbers have been finalised:

http://wts.triathlon.org/...hlon_yokohama/270688

I am surprised to see both Gomez and Mola, who really seem to be racing far too much. This will be their fourth Olympic distance race in seven weeks, their fifth WTS race in ten. The most important races are still months away. Murray and the Brownlees are pacing themselves, the danger for the Spaniards is that they are going to jaded (and Mola looked tired in Cape Town and had a surprisingly slow run by his standards)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not suprised Gomez is racing, he raced a ridiculous amount last year. Seems like he is building into the season, getting better with each race.

I agree re Mola, the WTS season is worryingly long now, 10 races is a little too much (even though only 5 + GF count).

Quote | Reply
Gomez is going from Japan to the London WTS race (a sprint), and then two weeks later, will be doing the Stafford half iron man... He has also signed a contract with the Bahrain Endurance 13 squad. That is a lot of punishment on a 32 year old body and I heard Jonny Brownlee saying at a press conference that "we haven't a clue how he is able to do this", because the Brownlees may look superhuman on race day but they do pay the price afterwards with fatigue etc! Gomez seems not to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can only guess there is some type of master plan? Maybe he starts to race much less at the end of the season and all this is kind of training? Needless to say we will know in Aug 16 if he made the right decisions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could be that he just loves racing. I know i did in my day, and raced similar schedules, along with a lot of other pros like Molina and Tinley. He also has some added pressure from his own countrymen right now, couple guys on given days punishing him. If he sits out a couple, they could pass him in rankings, and he probably does not want that going into Rio.

And keep in mind that doing a 1/2 for him could very well be just a long, hard, work out day. Depending if anyone really pushes him(usually not) he can shut it down in the run at some point. NOt having to run really hard all the way, and if it happens very early, well that is an easy day to recover from, and a great high intensity workout in the books. The travel would take more out of him than the actual race in that circumstance.
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Yokohama 2015 [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The race is on Saturday (Japanese time).

Predictions anyone?

I'm expecting the women's race to be boring beyond belief, with Gwen Jorgensen winning with ease. There is no Sarah True or Katie Zaferes, and generally a weak field. Non Stanford makes her much awaited come back, so if she can negotiate the swim, I'd expect her to podium. It is expected to rain, so there is just a chance this will cause problems on the bike which would possibly produce an unexpected result...

The men's field is also lacking in depth, with only Mola, Gomez and Alistair Brownlee among the big names. There is also no Richard Varga, A. Raphael or Fabian to take the swim out fast, but Coninx and Schoeman are the ones to watch. Also look out for the UK's Tom Bishop who often has front pack runs and is a good cyclist, so a breakaway is a possibility, made more likely by the lack of cycling firepower among the lesser swimmers (Sven Riederer will have to do most of the work.)

If Alistair B is acclimatised, as he wasn't last year (but has been training and Southern Spain and also traveled to Japan much earlier than last year), I'd expect him to win whatever the scenario. But the temperatures may be against him, in which case, one would not bet against Gomez. I don't think Mola is going to be fresh enough to challenge Gomez this time.

Not expecting fireworks, although I thought that about Cape Town and it produced two exciting races
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FeketeBlob wrote:
The race is on Saturday (Japanese time).

Predictions anyone?

I'm expecting the women's race to be boring beyond belief, with Gwen Jorgensen winning with ease. There is no Sarah True or Katie Zaferes, and generally a weak field. Non Stanford makes her much awaited come back, so if she can negotiate the swim, I'd expect her to podium. It is expected to rain, so there is just a chance this will cause problems on the bike which would possibly produce an unexpected result...

The men's field is also lacking in depth, with only Mola, Gomez and Alistair Brownlee among the big names. There is also no Richard Varga, A. Raphael or Fabian to take the swim out fast, but Coninx and Schoeman are the ones to watch. Also look out for the UK's Tom Bishop who often has front pack runs and is a good cyclist, so a breakaway is a possibility, made more likely by the lack of cycling firepower among the lesser swimmers (Sven Riederer will have to do most of the work.)

If Alistair B is acclimatised, as he wasn't last year (but has been training and Southern Spain and also traveled to Japan much earlier than last year), I'd expect him to win whatever the scenario. But the temperatures may be against him, in which case, one would not bet against Gomez. I don't think Mola is going to be fresh enough to challenge Gomez this time.

Not expecting fireworks, although I thought that about Cape Town and it produced two exciting races

On the men's side...Three Americans in the top 12. Shoemaker, McDowell and Kemper.

There's a nice piece on Hunter on triathlon.org today..http://www.triathlon.org/...t_for_fifth_olympics.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: ITU Yokohama 2015 [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If anyone is interested, the weather looks like being cloudy with showers, which favours the British contingent. Unless the sea heats up in the next three days, it should be a wetsuit swim (as it was in 2013 and 2014).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FeketeBlob wrote:
Gomez is going from Japan to the London WTS race (a sprint), and then two weeks later, will be doing the Stafford half iron man... He has also signed a contract with the Bahrain Endurance 13 squad. That is a lot of punishment on a 32 year old body and I heard Jonny Brownlee saying at a press conference that "we haven't a clue how he is able to do this", because the Brownlees may look superhuman on race day but they do pay the price afterwards with fatigue etc! Gomez seems not to.

Are you hinting that he may be getting a little "extra" help? It's not like Spanish athletes always are squeaky clean...

Murray is the other athlete who could mix it up in the men's race this weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mag900, Murray has decided to give Yokohama a miss, so another one who is pacing his season.

Gomez is an exceptional athlete and so I'd like to think he is squeaky clean. I really don't think that there is a doping culture in Olympic distance triathlon, so finger crossed, he is just an "outlier." More to the point, I'd rather see him race at his very best five or six times a year rather than averagely but in far more events.
Quote Reply

Prev Next