Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM Frankfurt this weekend [flogazo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Conditions swing this one towards Lange; maybe his mid season form will be better with him wanting to cement dominance over his country rivals at home rather than thousands of miles away - it may matter more to him than in the past - ie not be a 'Kona only' beast, but show he can beat these guys anywhere.

I'm putting Skipper on the podium as well; hungry and race fit, fairly sure at least one of the big 3 Germans will be undercooked/not willing to go deep.

Cant call it beyond that...
Quote Reply
Re: IM Frankfurt this weekend [TRO Saracen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skipper had a DNF at Challenge Geraardsbergen two weeks ago due to an injury, so remains to be seen whether he will be recovered enough to run the Ironman up to his full potential.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Semantics. If it was 74 degrees, he could technically have done the same, but I expect he wouldn't have.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: IM Frankfurt this weekend [Cookiebuilder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't count out Jen Annett, if she can stay reasonable close on the swim she is a beast on the bike, especially with the fact she is riding a Ventum now.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Frankfurt this weekend [euroracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point re Skipper - just checked that and hard to see a podium in this sort of race so soon after, and he's already KQ'd so no need to take risks. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Frankfurt this weekend [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just checked the weather...up to 100 degrees and 40% humidity. People are going to suffer
Quote Reply
Re: IM Frankfurt this weekend [Coachderekyorku] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Coachderekyorku wrote:
....... especially with the fact she is riding a Ventum now.

What the hell does this mean? I mean Starky keeps setting bike records on an Orbea, for god's sake!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Frankfurt this weekend [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She already has the fastest bike split (4:35:10)on the women's side in IM history and exciting to see her on a different brand where I can see her beating that record this season
Quote Reply
Re: IM Frankfurt this weekend [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wanted to post a GIF of the guys face melting from Raiders of the Lost Ark...but file was too big ;(

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
flogazo wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
Except in 2015 when Frankfurt was 104 degrees, someone did die in hospital as a result of the conditions.

I might be wrong, but didn't that person die of Hyponatremia? So drinking too much water therefore deluting electrolyte concentration in the blood to the point where as a reaction the brain starts swelling.

So it could be argued that that wasn't a direct result of the conditions because you can drink too much in any weather. My take-away from the reports back then was: Had that person drunk an electrolyte drink instead of water they would have probably been fine. Medical people please correct if I am wrong here...

Correct. First ever recorded death from hyponatraemia in an Ironman event
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cookiebuilder wrote:
our local pro from utah is racing, Skye Moench, she has taken 2nd in i think 3 70.3s this year all with good fields, Haug is out i think, and i don't know who Bleymehl is, naeth was a mess in that last race, and her bike fit sucks, that leaves Skyes major competition here at really Just Sarah True from what i can see. I know ironmans are so long a lot can happen but this could be a huge day for Skye.

So sad for sarah that was tough to watch, but gooo skye! I wonder when skye knew she was in the lead. I would guess someone yelled at her or the lead bike guy told her, not much time to enjoy the finish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cookiebuilder wrote:
Cookiebuilder wrote:
our local pro from utah is racing, Skye Moench, she has taken 2nd in i think 3 70.3s this year all with good fields, Haug is out i think, and i don't know who Bleymehl is, naeth was a mess in that last race, and her bike fit sucks, that leaves Skyes major competition here at really Just Sarah True from what i can see. I know ironmans are so long a lot can happen but this could be a huge day for Skye.

So sad for sarah that was tough to watch, but gooo skye! I wonder when skye knew she was in the lead. I would guess someone yelled at her or the lead bike guy told her, not much time to enjoy the finish.

What happened to Sarah True? Bonk? Crash?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Frankfurt this weekend [Floating Debris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Floating Debris wrote:
Cookiebuilder wrote:
Cookiebuilder wrote:

What happened to Sarah True? Bonk? Crash?

Bonk half mile from the finishing line... :( It was so sad to watch this live.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Frankfurt this weekend [Floating Debris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bonk.
Ran out of sugar and was in a bad way. An age grouper stopped her near an aid station 800m from the finish and the medics then lifted her off the course. Shame as she was in the lead but not sure she could have finished without help.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Frankfurt this weekend [Tubs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tubs wrote:
Bonk.
Ran out of sugar and was in a bad way. An age grouper stopped her near an aid station 800m from the finish and the medics then lifted her off the course. Shame as she was in the lead but not sure she could have finished without help.

Not sure either that she could have finish but that age-grouper that tried to help just... made her give up! She was fighting hard but once people surrounded her head gave up... should have gave her a minute or 2.

I know she was out... going through that last aid station didn't tried to grab anything... a few meters after she collapsed.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Frankfurt this weekend [MTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wondered the same thing, as soon as he touched her she collapsed. If he hadn’t I wondered if she could have walked it in. Huge financial implications for her. But she walked dazed through that aid station without grabbing a thing..... didn’t have a clear mind at that point.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Frankfurt this weekend [MTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No way. She was done. She had to be saved from herself.
Difficult to watch such a great athlete in that state.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tubs wrote:
Shame as she was in the lead but not sure she could have finished without help.

Not in a million years. Once her legs went there was no coming back from that. No fuel is no fuel.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: IM Frankfurt this weekend [grobbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grobbo wrote:

completely agree. the AGers that helped absolutely did the right thing. she was fighting and was delirious.

hers hoping she didnt do any damage to herself. :(

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: IM Frankfurt this weekend [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, Ironman France shortened the race distance for both the bike and run legs, was that done in Frankfurt? If not, why not? Seems like an insurance nightmare.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Frankfurt this weekend [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon.lebeouf wrote:
grobbo wrote:

completely agree. the AGers that helped absolutely did the right thing. she was fighting and was delirious.

hers hoping she didnt do any damage to herself. :(

Not a lucky weekend for Sarah as also her bike got lost in the airport / flight to Frankfurt. Hope she recovers quick and well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tubs wrote:
Bonk.

Would not be sure if it was because of sugar. I think it was either
1) body temp went too high or
2) dehydrated
or a combination of the two.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Frankfurt this weekend [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
So, Ironman France shortened the race distance for both the bike and run legs, was that done in Frankfurt? If not, why not? Seems like an insurance nightmare.

Because the French authorities FORCED them to shorten it in Nice
(partly to reduce the burden on already overstretched emergency services due to the ongoing heatwave).
15,000 deaths in the 2003 heatwave in France. The French learned their lesson maybe ?

But you're right about not learning from another event (left hand, right hand, both independently operated)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's the moment when she collapsed and was taken out of the race:

https://www.hessenschau.de/...nde-true,video-95708~_story-ironman-frauen-100.html
Last edited by: AliiDriver: Jun 30, 19 9:12
Quote Reply
Re: IM Frankfurt this weekend [AliiDriver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very difficult to watch.

And some idiots think she should have been left to carry on ffs.
Quote Reply

Prev Next