Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM Frankfurt this weekend
Quote | Reply
Very cool to have the last three Kona winners going head to head to head. The new slot allocation procedures tend to discourage top guys from racing each other, but of course these guys only need to validate and there are four slots available. This is really about the pride of winning on home soil.

Prediction:
Frodo
Sebi
Lange

In Kona, Lange would go at least above Sebi.

Will be very interesting to see where they are with their fitness.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Frankfurt this weekend [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like it's going to be non-wetsuit for everyone...again!

Yeah, I think Lange will keep his powder dry.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, since those guys just need to validate that means that there should be 7 males from this race with a slot. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that should mean a lot of guys really pushing it to get to Kona.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its turning into the German national championships, just need a couple more and we have all the top 10 from Kona the past few years..

I would assume that all starting are planning on a good race, see how it goes for the first 5 or 6 hours, then decide it going into the tank is worth what is going on at the moment..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone provide decent odds for placing Frodo and Ryf as winner in races? Feels like they win pretty much every time they toe the line. What would you need to put some $ on any one of them?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is 99 F at the moment. I'm here for work, and it is rather unbearable even to be out walking. Sunday forecast is a high of 98.

I happened to be here last year also, arriving on the day of the race and assembling my road bike on the marathon course as the first guys came through, which was pretty cool to see.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Frankfurt this weekend [TriRugby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I understand your question / comment right.
-There are 4 athletes racing (top 4 seeds) that already have Kona slots (Frodo, Lange, Kienle, Skipper
-There are likely 4 more slots to be given at the race
_ So that would be 8 on the men's side

So yes this will be a race within the race ... the 4 with slots can race to test themselves and win with no fear ... others may be more tactical in their approach pending how much Kona means to them

The women's race will be interesting too with Sarah True and Anja Ippach added to the start list.

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Last edited by: Dave Latourette: Jun 26, 19 12:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
our local pro from utah is racing, Skye Moench, she has taken 2nd in i think 3 70.3s this year all with good fields, Haug is out i think, and i don't know who Bleymehl is, naeth was a mess in that last race, and her bike fit sucks, that leaves Skyes major competition here at really Just Sarah True from what i can see. I know ironmans are so long a lot can happen but this could be a huge day for Skye.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Frankfurt this weekend [Cookiebuilder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes Haug is out

- Sarah True & Anja Ippach (formerly Beranek) both need spots ... Anja was 4th or 5th in Kona in 2016?
- Diana Bieymehl (formerly Sammler) very good as well
- Morrison, Annet, Basso, Watkinson all good athletes ... Don't count Simmonds out either

Also Naeth not racing

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM Frankfurt this weekend [Dave Latourette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw something on instagram today where Sarah's bike is apparently lost in the Boston airport. Hope that gets sorted for her soon!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Frankfurt this weekend [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Joe Skipper is racing and could nick a podium spot here, but is also already qualified. I hope he does really well!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave Latourette wrote:
Anja was 4th or 5th in Kona in 2016?

4th ... but recent results haven't been great (Cork DNF, 5th in SA).
Quote Reply
Re: IM Frankfurt this weekend [Cookiebuilder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cookiebuilder wrote:
our local pro from utah is racing, Skye Moench, she has taken 2nd in i think 3 70.3s this year all with good fields, Haug is out i think, and i don't know who Bleymehl is, naeth was a mess in that last race, and her bike fit sucks, that leaves Skyes major competition here at really Just Sarah True from what i can see. I know ironmans are so long a lot can happen but this could be a huge day for Skye.

Daniela Bleymehl (fomer Sämmler) won last years Challenge Roth and beat Lucy Charles. This year she became third in Samorin.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Frankfurt this weekend [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe its Frodo who should be taking it a bit easier in races like these if he's learnt anything from the last couple of years, going all out and 'proving his points' early have certainly contributed to writing off at least last years Kona!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave Latourette wrote:
If I understand your question / comment right.
-There are 4 athletes racing (top 4 seeds) that already have Kona slots (Frodo, Lange, Kienle, Skipper
-There are likely 4 more slots to be given at the race
_ So that would be 8 on the men's side

So yes this will be a race within the race ... the 4 with slots can race to test themselves and win with no fear ... others may be more tactical in their approach pending how much Kona means to them

The women's race will be interesting too with Sarah True and Anja Ippach added to the start list.

A quick look at last year's results and there were 21 starters on the men's side (out of 35 listed) with 13 started on the female side (out of 16) so I wouldn't be too sure that both allocated slots will go to the male side with that list of 59 starters, it appears they seem to have a lot of DNS over the past few years.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: IM Frankfurt this weekend [Schnellinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Last edited by: pk: Jun 26, 19 14:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Non-wetsuit? It will be over 100 Fahrenheit, almost no shade. The water temperature in the lake is already around 80 and rising. I swam there two days ago and in spots it felt like it was even close to 90. So yeah, wetsuit isn’t an option.
Imo the city/Ironman should postpone the whole thing. It is irresponsible for AGs to race 11hours+ in conditions like this. It will be 120+ in the sun and there is not much shade to be had on both the bike and the run. Hawaii will seem like a walk in the park compared to this. But they have been racing when it was almost as hot two years ago and in the end only one person died, so I guess they will just go ahead with it.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Frankfurt this weekend [Sebi76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They shouldn't cancel it. 2015 CDA was 106 degrees and it was fine. Nobody died. I had a great time and consider my finish there one of my best triathlon achievements.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Frankfurt this weekend [triniggel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triniggel wrote:
Cookiebuilder wrote:

Daniela Bleymehl (fomer Sämmler) won last years Challenge Roth and beat Lucy Charles. This year she became third in Samorin.

EEK, that is some competition then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sebi76 wrote:
Non-wetsuit? It will be over 100 Fahrenheit, almost no shade. The water temperature in the lake is already around 80 and rising. I swam there two days ago and in spots it felt like it was even close to 90. So yeah, wetsuit isn’t an option.
Imo the city/Ironman should postpone the whole thing. It is irresponsible for AGs to race 11hours+ in conditions like this. It will be 120+ in the sun and there is not much shade to be had on both the bike and the run. Hawaii will seem like a walk in the park compared to this. But they have been racing when it was almost as hot two years ago and in the end only one person died, so I guess they will just go ahead with it.

Sounds like my kind of race. The hotter the better!

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sebi76 wrote:

I guess you have never raced in SE Asia..There are so many things people can do to adjust for the conditions and get through the event happily..
Quote Reply
Re: IM Frankfurt this weekend [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've raced in SE Asia a lot, but 100 (37) to 120 (47) is even hotter than most races over this way!

I'm hoping things cool down before Roth a week later.

My race site: https://racesandplaces.wixsite.com/racesandplaces
Quote Reply
Re: IM Frankfurt this weekend [Jigsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jigsy wrote:
I've raced in SE Asia a lot, but 100 (37) to 120 (47) is even hotter than most races over this way!

I'm hoping things cool down before Roth a week later.

Yeah but the humidity in Frankfurt drops every afternoon and is pretty dry.I'll take that any day of the week over high humidity all day in Langkawi,Da Nang or where I am in Thailand.
It will be like some of the hot Penticton Ironmans from back in the day,cool in the morning warming up to a furnace by 4pm.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Frankfurt this weekend [jpk_phx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Except in 2015 when Frankfurt was 104 degrees, someone did die in hospital as a result of the conditions.

29 years and counting
Last edited by: Jorgan: Jun 27, 19 3:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:
Except in 2015 when Frankfurt was 104 degrees, someone did die in hospital as a result of the conditions.
I might be wrong, but didn't that person die of Hyponatremia? So drinking too much water therefore deluting electrolyte concentration in the blood to the point where as a reaction the brain starts swelling.

So it could be argued that that wasn't a direct result of the conditions because you can drink too much in any weather. My take-away from the reports back then was: Had that person drunk an electrolyte drink instead of water they would have probably been fine. Medical people please correct if I am wrong here...

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Quote Reply

Prev Next