Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IMFL poll [rjrankin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unbelievable, move a race 7 hours away with no hotels after people have already spent thousands on travel/lodging... and no mention of deferring ... just that we’re all automatically registered ... boo WTC.

http://m.ironman.com/...ironman/florida.aspx
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL poll [DDMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DDMike wrote:
Unbelievable, move a race 7 hours away with no hotels after people have already spent thousands on travel/lodging... and no mention of deferring ... just that we’re all automatically registered ... boo WTC.

"Please be mindful that our work is happening in real time so it will take a number of days for us to be able to answer many of your more detailed questions.

Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/...a.aspx#ixzz5U8eqflET"

I would put down the pitch fork for a couple of days. They have a pretty good history of making things right in these cases.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rjrankin wrote:
I’m not racing, so this is getting humorous at this point. Website now says nov 4th in Haines City. Watch the ledge getting out of that lake on both loops

any details?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DDMike wrote:

This is an amazing reaction. They’ve bent over backwards to pull this off on short notice, and it’s still not enough haha. A lot of people fly into Orlando for IMFL when it’s in PCB. They’ve given another day for added travel. Accommodations in that area are easy (it’s 25 minutes from Disney). I’m all for bashing Ironman but have to give them kudos here. Everyone who trained for a race is getting one
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, no offense meant but why try to be so negative?

I think its fantastic what IM did here. Yes I'm going to be out some $ but I more think about the 7 months I put into this.

My hats off to the IM team! I think this is absolutely fantastic in almost every way. They bent over backwards. They are helping out the PCB community. They are helping Haines City. they are certainly helping us athletes who have trained so hard for this.

I see nothing but positives and I think its a question of whether or not you see it as glass 90% full or 10% empty!

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DDMike wrote:

Pretend someone else wrote that and imagine what you'd be thinking about their post.

You're way out of line, IMO.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree. Haines City sucks and I would rather wait a year or choose another venue.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL poll [downtowndj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't disagree. Haines City is not my ideal vacation nor racing locale.
And the 70.3 run and swim courses there are at the rock bottom of my Ironman experiences.
I would have rather had a deferral to another race, or even better to have the choice.
But on the spectrum of possible scenarios, this seems much closer to the best than the worst case.

Folks coming in from overseas and elsewhere will be overjoyed.
FL participants will be pacified.
PCB residents will be happy we're not in their face, Orlando>Tampa tourism and residents will benefit.
Our buddies at WTC salvage a classic race on it's anniversary, and avoids the $ lost via deferrals to other races, not to mention sponsorships and already purchased equipment and food.

I am the master of my ship. I control everything in my world.
My reality is largely a construct of my own imagination anyways.
Everything around me on raceday- participants, spectators, pot holes- is peripheral and superfluous.
According to Elon Musk, it might even be a computer simulation.
All that I pay attention to is what's about 10 ft in front of me for 10 hours (ok, maybe 11 or 12).
I suspect pros would say the same thing.
So I don't care if it's an ocean, mountain or a ghetto (in the case of Haines City).
Dudes were getting drunk on 40s at 10:30 AM in the HUD housing on the back half of the run when I competed in 2013. The water was brown and hot.

It's all in your mind.
I would recommend watching the Matrix tonight and then complain about how this race isn't going on in the middle of a disaster relief area or outright cancelled.
Or pick up Jocko Wilink's Extreme Ownership, so you can control the only thing you can control.

Every year of training is a blessing and may be my last.
I don't know if I have another one in me, or will be granted to me.
All I know is I have today. And IMFL is in three weeks. And I missed my workout tonight booking $2K in travel accommodations as it was doubling in front of my eyes.

Tonight was the real race, I hope you secured your flight and lodging already- AirBnB said there "are [535] people looking at my property..." :-)
Last edited by: HankRearden: Oct 16, 18 17:46
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL poll [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rcmioga wrote:

I think its fantastic what IM did here. Yes I'm going to be out some $ but I more think about the 7 months I put into this.

My hats off to the IM team! I think this is absolutely fantastic in almost every way. They bent over backwards. They are helping out the PCB community. They are helping Haines City. they are certainly helping us athletes who have trained so hard for this.

I see nothing but positives and I think its a question of whether or not you see it as glass 90% full or 10% empty!

This is a good outcome ... for some. But it stinks to high heaven for those who have no choice. Some had already dropped out and registered for IMCOZ. Some cannot add another 6 or 7 hours to their drive. Some cannot change their vacation days and MUST be back at work on Monday. Some cannot get refunds for their prepaid lodging at PCB. The DNS rate for the new venue will be very high...I would be surprised if it were any less than a 1/4 of the field.

A win-win would be offering the race at Haines City and a deferral option for those who cannot make the new date/venue.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL poll [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
rcmioga wrote:

This is a good outcome ... for some. But it stinks to high heaven for those who have no choice. Some had already dropped out and registered for IMCOZ. Some cannot add another 6 or 7 hours to their drive. Some cannot change their vacation days and MUST be back at work on Monday. Some cannot get refunds for their prepaid lodging at PCB. The DNS rate for the new venue will be very high...I would be surprised if it were any less than a 1/4 of the field.

A win-win would be offering the race at Haines City and a deferral option for those who cannot make the new date/venue.

The mayor of the city and governor of the state have asked that people not living in the area, or helping with cleanup/restoration, not come to the area. I'd think condo owners would have to refund, but those pesky fine prints. I agree though, I think the DNS rate will be pretty high. I'd think people would be able to sneak an extra day off work, but I also try to limit my races to those I can drive to. I've read that people have had no issues switching flights at no cost, but don't know the truth to that. I'm 4 hours away contemplating what kinda time I'd have to pull off to get to a KQ off the training I've put in for a half a month later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
whats the water temp?
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL poll [HankRearden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All true my friend!

The greatest gift is to be able to deliver against what you have worked so hard to do. I wish the folks in the panhandle didn’t get crushed. I wish those in PCB wouldn’t lose this great boon to their economy. I wish those that paid much expense to get there that they can’t get back would have avoided this. I wish everyone got/gets what they ultimately signed up for.

I don’t envy Ironman trying to navigate all of this. As an executive in some complex ecosystems I can really relate to the damned if you do and damned if you don’t issues.

That said, in my view, IRONMAN (really the leaders in it) gets a 10 on this. They are still the most important and finest organization supporting this great sport and I’m supper grateful for their stewardship generally and their wisdom with respect to IMFL18...Haines style!

I can’t wait to race what will most likely my last IM.....thanks for the chance!

rc

Quote Reply
Re: IMFL poll [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You've got one more IM to do after this one sir!

p.s., first Slowtwitch post in ~10 years

-------
Anders
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL poll [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
DDMike wrote:

Pretend someone else wrote that and imagine what you'd be thinking about their post.

You're way out of line, IMO.

LOL WTF do these people do when IM gets tough during a race. Whine and walk off the course? Or figure out how to get the job done. Yeah it’s not easy, may be a PITA, but so what?
Last edited by: ChrisM: Oct 16, 18 21:53
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL poll [AMC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol...welcome back!

Quote Reply

Prev Next