Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IMFL poll
Quote | Reply
Sorry, this is kinda a pointless post but I’m sitting on my trainer (yet again) after 7 months of training my ass off for IMFL (and hoping to start my taper this Friday) but I’m wondering what you all think the verdict that comes down today on IMFL will be....

1. Cancellation with accommodations for advantaged entry next year, or some other earlier races (this is what I think)

2. Same as 1 but with a lottery for all entered for Kona slots

3. Some type of shortened race (1/4-1/2 IM) in Panama City Beach on 11/3

4. Postponed full IM 2-4 weeks later

5. Race is on but somewhere near by (Pensacola?)

6. As planned

7. Other (what else?)

sigh.....

rc

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Last edited by: rcmioga: Oct 16, 18 4:35
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL poll [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm rooting for 4. Postponed full 2-4 weeks later. There's a marathon and half marathon coming up mid-November that perhaps IM could tie in with to be mutual supporting from a resource perspective.

Edit: If it *is* postponed, I have no idea how I'm going to train even two more weeks, I'm SO ready to taper!

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Last edited by: ericMPro: Oct 16, 18 4:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just playing along because I have no clue what will be decided today...…….

my vote, a combo of 3 & 4...… delayed 2 weeks and shortened (bike most likely shortened). This is sorta like Maryland from a few years ago.
gives area more time for recovery of services, cleanup.... means WTC doesn't have to refund over $2 million USD (3000 people @ $800), gives people time to find new accommodations if needed and adjust flights (potential huge costs, but that's all back to athletes), and IM get the race in, sell us all the 2018 finisher gear already made and helps locals by brining in business. from posts I've read many locals and business owners want the race and what it brings... but honestly they'll be more welcoming of this event the more that things get restored, cleaned up, and further away from the worst of the hurricane.

Nov 17th, shortened bike, no deferrals or cancellations.
Last edited by: DDMike: Oct 16, 18 5:09
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL poll [DDMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A good additional possibility! If they shortened the bike course, couldn’t they just do 2-3 laps and make it a full, or close to full IM?

Quote Reply
Re: IMFL poll [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eric: I feel your pain. I have my last Century tomorrow and the major thing that sets my mind at ease is that it will be the last. (Or maybe not, ugh)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think #1 - cancellation with deeply discounted registration for an IM next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1... I'm not in as good shape as I'd hoped. Second pass at training would be fine :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My inkling is 1.

They're talking about not having rentals to tourists until December on the official PCB Facebook page. You have hotels and condos with significant damage. You have cancellations to non-residents happening via VRBO/Air BNB. There's simply no resources to dedicate, and I feel like it'd certainly be the wrong kind of press to host a race down there right now.

I foresee a bunch of service projects going on, significantly more than the $50K already pledged going toward recovery, and a bigger race / party to celebrate PCB and the area being "back" next year.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL poll [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've heard that as well, but my VRBO owner (who is association president for one of the largest condos there) called me.... didn't tell me I was getting cancelled... kinda left it open ended.... got the idea he might let me move my reservation if the race moves... if not... I get the impression i'm SOL.... take a vacation to PCB as scheduled, or lose cost of 9 days. Insurance won't cover if the building is open which he says it will be.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t think WTC has to refund money in this case. Act of god and all that.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah - I mean it really depends. Our condo is at Shores of Panama and is fine, whereas we have two athletes that were supposed to be at Sunbird which got hit hard.

I just can't fathom them putting on an event when you're still talking about food drop zones, mandatory boil water notices, and communication being as spotty as it is.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL poll [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1 - This Ironman is going to be cancelled, any talk of a shorter course or a short time deferral is not going to happen. This issue is not the course itself but the hotels and condos that are available will be used for cleanup/rebuilding crews. The permitting to reschedule this in a couple of weeks is not possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am expecting #1. Don't care about any of the others. I've already pulled the plug on IM training and will be going to PC this weekend to help family with their homes and bring anything they need. And I have hernia surgery scheduled for 8 Nov that I should not postpone any longer. So my season is over. It sucks, but not as much as it does for the people who lost their homes. Looking forward to 2019!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
based on what I've seen in the news, I don't know how they can have the race. the devastation is massive and given how people are cut off from resources, I'm sure the bananas, pretzels, Gatorade, bottled water, etc could be used to help the locals. volunteers, were they impacted? can they not make it there now?

remember when NYC had to cancel the marathon due to Hurricane Sandy? they used the generators and supplies to help the thousands of people who were devastated and cut off from help.

maybe Ironman offers a discount for another race, maybe they partially refund the entry fee (they will have costs to cover too). not sure if this race offers insurance. but if so, that will help anyone that lost money for fees and travel.

it sucks for everyone that spent so much time, effort, etc in training for this. it really sucks for the people who live there and have seen their lives washed away.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL poll [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let's not forgot the volunteer base. Yes, it could serve as a temporary distraction for them, but is IM going to get full support from the local community when they have other, more pressing, concerns and needs?
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL poll [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m sure volunteers would be better served cleaning streets than handing bottles of water to athletes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
''2. Same as 1 but with a lottery for all entered for Kona slots ''

Ha, not in your wildest dreams!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL poll [BabaBooey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BabaBooey wrote:
I’m sure volunteers would be better served cleaning streets than handing bottles of water to athletes

Of course, except that they are volunteers, not conscript labor. They get to decide what they want to volunteer for, and the County/City will decide what they can do. E.g,. local Scout troops are probably not who you ask to clean streets. It's probably a moot point now, but some of these volunteer groups were looking for a check to fund their operation via WTC volunteer grants, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL poll [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
''2. Same as 1 but with a lottery for all entered for Kona slots ''

Ha, not in your wildest dreams!

Dare to dream, that's what happened when they cancelled Tahoe.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL poll [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
I am expecting #1. Don't care about any of the others. I've already pulled the plug on IM training and will be going to PC this weekend to help family with their homes and bring anything they need. And I have hernia surgery scheduled for 8 Nov that I should not postpone any longer. So my season is over. It sucks, but not as much as it does for the people who lost their homes. Looking forward to 2019!

I was about to start a Virtual Behavioral Health Project with the Navy Clinic at Panama City this Friday. The email I received from NH Pensacola stated that all service members are under mandatory evacuation orders until at least November 16. They have very limited communication means, and NO Cell Service. The positive aspect is the clinic took very little damage.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: IMFL poll [BabaBooey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BabaBooey wrote:
based on what I've seen in the news, I don't know how they can have the race. the devastation is massive and given how people are cut off from resources, I'm sure the bananas, pretzels, Gatorade, bottled water, etc could be used to help the locals. volunteers, were they impacted? can they not make it there now?

remember when NYC had to cancel the marathon due to Hurricane Sandy? they used the generators and supplies to help the thousands of people who were devastated and cut off from help.

maybe Ironman offers a discount for another race, maybe they partially refund the entry fee (they will have costs to cover too). not sure if this race offers insurance. but if so, that will help anyone that lost money for fees and travel.

it sucks for everyone that spent so much time, effort, etc in training for this. it really sucks for the people who live there and have seen their lives washed away.

^^^This

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DDMike wrote:
I've heard that as well, but my VRBO owner (who is association president for one of the largest condos there) called me.... didn't tell me I was getting cancelled... kinda left it open ended.... got the idea he might let me move my reservation if the race moves... if not... I get the impression i'm SOL.... take a vacation to PCB as scheduled, or lose cost of 9 days. Insurance won't cover if the building is open which he says it will be.....

Have a buddy dealing with the same thing. I'm supposed to stay there with him to cheer him on. I think they can be a bit more flexible in an instance like this... but it's a minor bitch considering what residents down there are going through.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
#1 surely to God they just cancel it and let us defer to 2019.

Too much to do down there. Even if they tried to pull something off later this year...who has the time to train again or prolong this training? I don't know about most of you, but I booked my condo a year in advance and time off from work. Do you think most of us have the luxury just to reschedule this and go down there later??? No! I certainly can't and I want to venture to guess most of who signed up does not.

I feel even worse for those who scheduled flights from around the country and other countries only to lose that $ all together.

Having said that, there will be a formal announcement from Ironman AT the end of the day today either way. I'm going, but I don't even know if I can get into that condo. I can only go on those days that I booked..likely i'm expecting my condo to cancel any minute from SOP as well.

Sucks for everyone involved in this.

Peace!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rcmioga wrote:
Sorry, this is kinda a pointless post but I’m sitting on my trainer (yet again) after 7 months of training my ass off for IMFL (and hoping to start my taper this Friday) but I’m wondering what you all think the verdict that comes down today on IMFL will be....

1. Cancellation with accommodations for advantaged entry next year, or some other earlier races (this is what I think)

2. Same as 1 but with a lottery for all entered for Kona slots

3. Some type of shortened race (1/4-1/2 IM) in Panama City Beach on 11/3

4. Postponed full IM 2-4 weeks later

5. Race is on but somewhere near by (Pensacola?)

6. As planned

7. Other (what else?)

sigh.....

rc

#7. WTC gives free entry to any 2019 race for anyone that volunteers to cleanup. The PR would be great and would also be great leverage in negotiating with municipalities over future race venues.
Quote Reply

Prev Next