Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IMFL Athlete Boos National Anthem at Banquet
Quote | Reply
I read ST daily, but rarely post. However, the more I thought about this, the more I realized I should not let it go and maybe some public ridicule is deserved if the athlete can be identified.

At the Thursday night athlete banquet, everybody stood for the National Anthem. About half way through, a guy at the table next to me sat down. That got me thinking maybe he was a foreigner; however, even if he was a foreigner, I would argue he should have some respect for the country he was visiting. As the National Anthem came to a conclusion, the guy started booing and motioning with his hands to get off the stage. I got in his face and told him to get the hell out if he didn't want to be here.

I wish I had a name, number, etc., but all I have to go from are the following set of facts (I hope #4 below may narrow the field of possibilities):
  1. He looked to be in his 50's or 60's
  2. He was wearing an Ironman Canada hat and jacket with a Buster Posey San Francisco Giants baseball jersey underneath
  3. He wore glasses and a thick mustache
  4. He stood when Dave Ragsdale asked for all athletes who have competed in every IMFL to stand

Can anyone identify this guy?
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL Athlete Boos National Anthem at Banquet [ttaylo5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boorish behavior regardless of what country he is from.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
10 minutes before we know this guy, what he had for lunch and his opinion on T2 peeing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Much respect to you for confronting the guy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absent of violating someone's rights or causing irreparable harm, I'm quite sure that he is free to attend and express his opinion within the bounds of the private event organizer's discretion.

Would public ridicule of this person make you a better American? Would it make you a better human being? Is it possible that stooping to such a level would be on par with the behavior that you're decrying?

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL Athlete Boos National Anthem at Banquet [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnman wrote:
Absent of violating someone's rights or causing irreparable harm, I'm quite sure that he is free to attend and express his opinion within the bounds of the private event organizer's discretion.

Would public ridicule of this person make you a better American? Would it make you a better human being? Is it possible that stooping to such a level would be on par with the behavior that you're decrying?

[thread / over]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMHO

Sitting down = acceptable.

Booing (in that setting) = unacceptable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you got to let it go. You said your peace to his face, don't let it bother you any further. If the guy is a big enough douche to not have a little respect, calling him out in public will do little good anyway.

I *heart* weak, dumb ass people...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I probably wouldn't show my disdain quite as openly as the culprit named herein, this uniquely American need to masturbate to the national anthem before any trivial event is pretty ridiculous and in some cases disrespectful. For example, playing the US national anthem before a WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP event (read - Kona) is a slap in the face to the very large international crowd.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's what makes this country so great. He is free to express those opinions. I am free to confront him for doing so, and others are free to shame him for his actions.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL Athlete Boos National Anthem at Banquet [cloesch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloesch wrote:
While I probably wouldn't show my disdain quite as openly as the culprit named herein, this uniquely American need to masturbate to the national anthem before any trivial event is pretty ridiculous and in some cases disrespectful. For example, playing the US national anthem before a WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP event (read - Kona) is a slap in the face to the very large international crowd.

That's a ridiculous statement. It's an American corporation, with an event taking place in the United States. They can do whatever they want. If they want to honor the country they are from, who really cares? It's not disrespectful. Just because it is respectful to one country, does not mean it's demeaning to others. I guess the Olympics should not have an entire opening ceremony celebrating the host country....simply because there are international guests? C'mon son.
Last edited by: dprocket: Nov 5, 14 9:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am glad you said something to him.
My guess is if he is the kind of guy that boo and draw attention to himself, public shame would work great on him.

Stupid comments about a national anthem played for world championship, like this doesn't happen in every host country for an international event!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll let you guys get started on this while I go swim and run a bit. I'll check back later.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cloesch wrote:

You know my son plays a lot of hockey and I have been fortunate to travel with him. Although I am an American I always stand and remove my hat when the Canadian national anthem is played before the game, its simple respect. And I don't question the need of the organizers to play the anthem at a trivial youth hockey event either. I think the only thing unique is you feeling like the playing of the national anthem is somehow a slap in the face, seems like you have some personal issues to deal with.

I *heart* weak, dumb ass people...
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Jerseydave77 [ In reply to ]
Re: IMFL Athlete Boos National Anthem at Banquet [coopdog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coopdog wrote:
cloesch wrote:

You know my son plays a lot of hockey and I have been fortunate to travel with him. Although I am an American I always stand and remove my hat when the Canadian national anthem is played before the game, its simple respect. And I don't question the need of the organizers to play the anthem at a trivial youth hockey event either. I think the only thing unique is you feeling like the playing of the national anthem is somehow a slap in the face, seems like you have some personal issues to deal with.

I can't imagine how awful this guy must feel during an Olympics Opening Ceremony. I mean, a universally televised hours long tribute to the host country's cultural heritage must be heart attack inducing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ttaylo5 wrote:
That's what makes this country so great. He is free to express those opinions. I am free to confront him for doing so, and others are free to shame him for his actions.

Exactly true. However, retaliatory behavior doesn't make you a better person. It simply adds to the pile of intolerance.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cloesch wrote:

So you think that each time the American Anthem is played here in the US in an international sporting even, and everyone stands at attention, it is being trivial, petty, ridiculous AND an exercise in MASTURBATION? This manner of respect is not only done in America but in every country in the world - and per your words - doing so is akin to masturbating.

Did you go to College, or even finish High School? Stay off those drugs, they are really screwing your mind

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really don't see what you hope to achieve here ? He is free to express his opinions - even if you disagree with them.

Let it go. Or would you prefer North Korean style adherence to the national line ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This story has the smell of trucker hats to me.

Assuming that this actually happened, he was seeking attention; you gave it to him - congratulations, you fed a real-life troll.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL Athlete Boos National Anthem at Banquet [paxfobiscum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
paxfobiscum wrote:
cloesch wrote:

So you think that each time the American Anthem is played here in the US in an international sporting even, and everyone stands at attention, it is being trivial, petty, ridiculous AND an exercise in MASTURBATION? This manner of respect is not only done in America but in every country in the world - and per your words - doing so is akin to masturbating.

Did you go to College, or even finish High School? Stay off those drugs, they are really screwing your mind

While you are free to disagree with the sentiment, your closing sentence smacks of intolerance and small mindedness. Many well educated people hold the view that nationalism/jingoism is responsible for many of the greater ills of the modern world. The constant need that nations have to fly a flag contributes to division/suspicion/fear/greed/etc.

John Lennon said it best:

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL Athlete Boos National Anthem at Banquet [paxfobiscum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
This manner of respect is not only done in America but in every country in the world

That's cute. And entirely incorrect. In most places outside of the US, in an international event including two teams (such as international soccer matches), both countries' anthems are played to honor the participants of BOTH countries, not just the one who's hosting. In the case of a large number of countries competing (i.e. Olympics), the only anthem that gets played is the winners' anthem.

My objection to the flag-waving, anthem playing crowd is very well summed up by The Guardian, so I'll just direct you to his post here.
Last edited by: cloesch: Nov 5, 14 10:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnman wrote:

this. x1000.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You made your point -- you're part of the majority and you don't care for dissent. So, secure in the safety of the mass, you decided to accost this guy for daring to oppose this militaristic song. Congratulations. That was very brave of you. The land of the free and the home of the brave, indeed.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL Athlete Boos National Anthem at Banquet [The Guardian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
John Lennon said it best:

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too

Thanks man. That's the best laugh I've had in a long time!!!! How are things in your make-believe would?

--------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply

Prev Next