Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IMFL Athlete Boos National Anthem at Banquet [TerramarMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TerramarMan wrote:
burnman

Nov 5, 14 9:25

Post #17 of 95 (2573 views)
Re: IMFL Athlete Boos National Anthem at Banquet [ttaylo5] [In reply to]Quote | Reply

ttaylo5 wrote:
That's what makes this country so great. He is free to express those opinions. I am free to confront him for doing so, and others are free to shame him for his actions.

Burnman wrote:

Exactly true. However, retaliatory behavior doesn't make you a better person. It simply adds to the pile of intolerance.

[ This Space For Rent ]

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"It simply adds to the pile of intolerance."

Burnman,

Why do you feel inappropriate behavior should be "tolerated?" Are you a supporter/defender of the Westboro Baptist Church as well?

Kudos to the OP.

Standing up for our beliefs and values and doing the right thing at the risk of retribution are the dues we pay for our character, which in my opinion DOES make you a better person.

Where do you draw the line? What do you stand up for? How much bullshit do you tolerate?.....How does allowing inappropriate behavior make you a better person? ...... In essence, ....Where is YOUR character?

In short, per your own sig line ...."This Space For Rent"......Is that "space for rent" your ball sac?

Quote Reply
Re: IMFL Athlete Boos National Anthem at Banquet [gunsbuns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gunsbuns wrote:
windywave wrote:
fulla wrote:
Americans are funny with their patriotism.

As a Kiwi, I always cringe whenever our media asks some overseas celebrity what they think of our country.

Still a country of 4.5 million beat USA 74-6 in rugby on the weekend. I guess I can be proud of that. :)

How would you do if we converted all of our NFL players to rugby? I think we'd hold our own.

The nightmare of all rugby loving nations! Would only be worse if you threw in basketball as well.

Not too concerned, they would just create a rugby "world series / championship" in which only american teams played...
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL Athlete Boos National Anthem at Banquet [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
I'm certain you would. But I guess drugs and slavery have provided a lot of assistance to your country's prowess in the NFL.

And just when you think this thread can't get any dumber......

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL Athlete Boos National Anthem at Banquet [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
And just when you think this thread can't get any dumber......

For a second, I thought I'd stumbled onto a Let's Run thread...

But the lack of "Obama is a space lizard" and "you're slow if you can't run 5k under 15 mins" comments made me realise it was ST.

For what it's worth: I'm Australian but I live in France. I generally race sprints and olympic, and I've never heard the national amthem played before the race in either country (even at the Oz sprint distance champs).
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL Athlete Boos National Anthem at Banquet [criswhit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
criswhit wrote:
First, thanks for all of the men and woman in the armed forces without you we would not have our freedom to do what we want on a daily basis. Second, if the guy at the banquet can not respect the national anthem then he needs to leave the country. I don't care what country he is from, he owes the respect to the country he is in by standing still, hat off for the national anthem. If this was overseas in a muslim country he probably would be 6 feet under by now. This crap of everyone's right is BS. Thanks to the OP for saying something to him, why wasn't there a line of 100 behind him the OP? If we do not respect our country who will?????????????????

No, he doesn't.

When I visit another country, I don't "owe" it anything. Esp. not following local rituals when the anthem is played. It's neither my anthem nor that of my home country. Stand and remove headwear all you like, but I'm under no obligation - legal, moral or otherwise - to follow suit. Not every people on Earth shares this affinity to (or is it "obsession with"?) state symbols like anthems, flags, birds etc.

What if he disrespected the US anthem silently, in his head? Would he have to leave the country regardless, because he's guilty of a thought crime?

Greetings from the German Wine Route,
Roland
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL Athlete Boos National Anthem at Banquet [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
veganerd wrote:
Quote:
First, thanks for all of the men and woman in the armed forces without you we would not have our freedom to do what we want on a daily basis.

which of your freedoms were granted by soldiers? last i checked, freedoms are granted by people sitting behind desks with pens or behind benches with gavels.

as for the rest of your post, why do you hate the first amendment so much? do you hate the rest of the constitution too?

just for the record, booing is rude, sitting down isnt. maybe he has a legitimate medical reason to need to sit. maybe he is a pacifist and doesnt want to stand for a war song. maybe he is a jehovahs witness and is simply following his religious mandates to not stand. who knows.

See my previous post regarding the First Amendment. Freedoms are granted to the People by the People via the Constitution. Judges interpret the Constitution and the Executive branch enforces said rulings. The military is part of the executive and for the record they protect the interests of the country and prevent invasion (the military is prohibited from operating domestically [broadly speaking] by the posse comitatus act)

I wholeheartedly agree with your comment about the first ammendment. However, it does apply to speech and acts regarding the flag. The op and others who posted werent upset because he did something in a procate venue, they were offended because it was a negative act towards the flag and song. They said nothing about it being a private event.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL Athlete Boos National Anthem at Banquet [RolandG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RolandG wrote:
criswhit wrote:
First, thanks for all of the men and woman in the armed forces without you we would not have our freedom to do what we want on a daily basis.
Second, if the guy at the banquet can not respect the national anthem then he needs to leave the country. I don't care what country he is from, he owes the respect to the country he is in by standing still, hat off for the national anthem. If this was overseas in a muslim country he probably would be 6 feet under by now. This crap of everyone's right is BS. Thanks to the OP for saying something to him, why wasn't there a line of 100 behind him the OP? If we do not respect our country who will?????????????????

No, he doesn't.

When I visit another country, I don't "owe" it anything. Esp. not following local rituals when the anthem is played. It's neither my anthem nor that of my home country. Stand and remove headwear all you like, but I'm under no obligation - legal, moral or otherwise - to follow suit. Not every people on Earth shares this affinity to (or is it "obsession with"?) state symbols like anthems, flags, birds etc.

What if he disrespected the US anthem silently, in his head? Would he have to leave the country regardless, because he's guilty of a thought crime?

Well, here in the USA it is still on the books. No penalties exist for this code since the Supreme Court ruled it in conflict with the 1st Amendment. So technically, it is still a law. 36 U.S.C. 171 reads:

§171-"During rendition of the national anthem when the flag is displayed, all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart. Men not in uniform should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Persons in uniform should render the military salute at the first note of the anthem and retain this position until the last note. When the flag is not displayed, those present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed there."

Formerly TriBrad02
Last edited by: TriBrad02: Nov 6, 14 4:54
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL Athlete Boos National Anthem at Banquet [criswhit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
criswhit wrote:
Is being deported versus being killed anywhere similar?

So your motto is: America: intolerant, but at least better than Muslim countries.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL Athlete Boos National Anthem at Banquet [TriBrad02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBrad02 wrote:
Well, here in the USA it is still on the books. No penalties exist for this code since the Supreme Court ruled it in conflict with the 1st Amendment. So technically, it is still a law. 36 U.S.C. 171 reads:

§171-"During rendition of the national anthem when the flag is displayed, all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart. Men not in uniform should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Persons in uniform should render the military salute at the first note of the anthem and retain this position until the last note. When the flag is not displayed, those present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed there."

So, if it cannot be enforced for violating the 1st Amendment, it's more of a guideline, then?

Roland
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL Athlete Boos National Anthem at Banquet [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnman wrote:
Absent of violating someone's rights or causing irreparable harm, I'm quite sure that he is free to attend and express his opinion within the bounds of the private event organizer's discretion.

Would public ridicule of this person make you a better American? Would it make you a better human being? Is it possible that stooping to such a level would be on par with the behavior that you're decrying?

Very well said. 'Getting in one's face' or the new favorite 'calling out' someone is just as crass as the behavior that prompts said response. At least according to the etiquette book we have. I notice the Original Poster is not 'getting in the face' of the drug dealer in the Bronx at 2AM
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL Athlete Boos National Anthem at Banquet [gshtrisport] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gshtrisport wrote:
I have to say there are a lot of comments here that bother me.

Full disclosure; I am a former United States Marine and I am also as liberal as they come.

That being said, there are some things that are at the core of who we are as a nation. You may not respect those that are in office, the direction the county is going, etc. but this is still America and there are things that Americans that we should do; pay respect to our flag, stand during our national anthem, etc.

If you do not agree, fine but don’t show disrespect for those who hold the American principals close to our way of life. Others have given their lives in order for you to have the freedom that you have today and you should show some respect.

This guy is lucky that you only confronted him. I know several people that would have loved to have a “conversation” with him.

For those of you like “ike” you are free to have your anti American opinions thanks to the people that put their lives on the line. Yet you say anti American things from the safety of being behind a keyboard… brave indeed.
I appreciate your response to this and I don't know how I feel about this. If this guy wants to sit then fine, I do however think it was rude of him to start booing. But, regarding the bold, was this guy not doing precisely that, exercising his freedom to speak his mind? That very freedom is what so many have given their lives to protect. The freedom to say whatever you want(within reason obviously) regardless of whether people agree with it?
There's also no reason to assume this guy is not an american. There are a lot of government hating anarchists(both right and left) who probably agree with his behavior.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL Athlete Boos National Anthem at Banquet [RobK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RobK wrote:
klehner wrote:

Do they play the local national anthem at every triathlon in countries other than the US?

Not in the UK, France, Denmark, Spain or Mexico to my knowledge. They did at IM Western Australia but no-one paid any attention. If you did it before a sporting event that wasn't something like an international football or rugby match (were both nations' anthems are played) in the UK everyone would think it was weird and I doubt anyone would stand up. There would just be an atmosphere of faint embarrassment and people would pretend it wasn't happening. Then again, our anthem has a really dreadful tune.

I believe they played the Mexican national anthem the first year of IMCozumel. I think the "local" anthem makes the event much grander.

I look forward to going to NHL games vs. Canadian opponents as I get to here both anthems. The Canadian hockey players on American teams have no problem respecting the anthem and I am sure the same goes the other way.

99% of people who "disrespect" the anthem probably have a mental illness or are just clueless of the standards vs. a "protest" mentality.

At my previous parish we had a guy who talked during mass. He wasn't trying to disrupt he just wasn't all there.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL Athlete Boos National Anthem at Banquet [linhardt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
linhardt wrote:
RobK wrote:
klehner wrote:

Do they play the local national anthem at every triathlon in countries other than the US?

Not in the UK, France, Denmark, Spain or Mexico to my knowledge. They did at IM Western Australia but no-one paid any attention. If you did it before a sporting event that wasn't something like an international football or rugby match (were both nations' anthems are played) in the UK everyone would think it was weird and I doubt anyone would stand up. There would just be an atmosphere of faint embarrassment and people would pretend it wasn't happening. Then again, our anthem has a really dreadful tune.

I believe they played the Mexican national anthem the first year of IMCozumel. I think the "local" anthem makes the event much grander.

I look forward to going to NHL games vs. Canadian opponents as I get to here both anthems. The Canadian hockey players on American teams have no problem respecting the anthem and I am sure the same goes the other way.

99% of people who "disrespect" the anthem probably have a mental illness or are just clueless of the standards vs. a "protest" mentality.

At my previous parish we had a guy who talked during mass. He wasn't trying to disrupt he just wasn't all there.

I honestly don't understand the logic behind playing the national anthem before amateur sporting events in the US. They even play it before our local kids' tri at the local pool. I suspect many RDs just do it because other events do it, but I'm not sure the rationale. I was actually at an event recently where they didn't play it, and was pleasantly surprised that we could just get on with the race. No-one seemed to mind the omission.

I think in general the level of nationalism in a country tends to be correlated with the age of the country. The USA is less than 250 years old, compared to, say, many European countries that are significantly older and where nationalistic tendencies have faded.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL Athlete Boos National Anthem at Banquet [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
windywave wrote:
veganerd wrote:
Quote:

which of your freedoms were granted by soldiers? last i checked, freedoms are granted by people sitting behind desks with pens or behind benches with gavels.

as for the rest of your post, why do you hate the first amendment so much? do you hate the rest of the constitution too?

just for the record, booing is rude, sitting down isnt. maybe he has a legitimate medical reason to need to sit. maybe he is a pacifist and doesnt want to stand for a war song. maybe he is a jehovahs witness and is simply following his religious mandates to not stand. who knows.

See my previous post regarding the First Amendment. Freedoms are granted to the People by the People via the Constitution. Judges interpret the Constitution and the Executive branch enforces said rulings. The military is part of the executive and for the record they protect the interests of the country and prevent invasion (the military is prohibited from operating domestically [broadly speaking] by the posse comitatus act)

I wholeheartedly agree with your comment about the first ammendment. However, it does apply to speech and acts regarding the flag. The op and others who posted werent upset because he did something in a procate venue, they were offended because it was a negative act towards the flag and song. They said nothing about it being a private event.

Again, it only protects people from government action regarding speech (desecrating the flag is considered a form of speech). If I walked down to the Federal courthouse and booed the national anthem while desecrating the flag the government could not do a thing. However, private actors could do things like out me on the internet, I could be fired from my job, I could banned from my club. The guy at IMFL literally has no protections from people getting in his face and telling him it's disrespectful to boo or to come on here and relate the story. Just because he has a right to be free from government interference does not mean he has the right to be from private interference. The point I am trying to convey is that it seems people do not understand my previous sentence.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL Athlete Boos National Anthem at Banquet [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
veganerd wrote:
windywave wrote:
veganerd wrote:
Quote:

Again, it only protects people from government action regarding speech (desecrating the flag is considered a form of speech). If I walked down to the Federal courthouse and booed the national anthem while desecrating the flag the government could not do a thing. However, private actors could do things like out me on the internet, I could be fired from my job, I could banned from my club. The guy at IMFL literally has no protections from people getting in his face and telling him it's disrespectful to boo or to come on here and relate the story. Just because he has a right to be free from government interference does not mean he has the right to be from private interference. The point I am trying to convey is that it seems people do not understand my previous sentence.

We aren't disagreeing on that point.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:

As a Kiwi, I always cringe whenever our media asks some overseas celebrity what they think of our country.

Still a country of 4.5 million beat USA 74-6 in rugby on the weekend. I guess I can be proud of that. :)

To me it seems normal for anyone to be proud of and to show patriotism towards the country they
were born in and call home. If you don't who's fault is that? Maybe look for a better country to call home.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL Athlete Boos National Anthem at Banquet [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pattersonpaul wrote:
fulla wrote:

To me it seems normal for anyone to be proud of and to show patriotism towards the country they
were born in and call home. If you don't who's fault is that? Maybe look for a better country to call home.

You seem to think that having a problem with the national anthem is unpatriotic. Am I wrong with that assessment?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
Where people really love their countries — and where they kinda don’t
http://www.vox.com/...m-pride-global-world

The US is in the middle below New Zealand and Australia.

Another post talked about more pride coming from younger countries and I do tend to see that in the survey with the European countries tending toward the bottom.

Some might be whether you generally regard your countries past history as positive or negative. Generally Americans regard our history very positively even regarding slavery where many feel we fought a brutal, costly war to end slavery(history texts have a mixed view on this opinion).

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL Athlete Boos National Anthem at Banquet [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pattersonpaul wrote:

Even if it's North Korea? Furthermore, normal doesn't necessarily equal right.

How can one be proud of a whole country? I've only ever been proud of my own achievements, which contribute little to nothing to the state of my country altogether. If others in my country do good and great things, how could it be my place to be proud of that? I didn't help them.

And how can one choose a new birth country, as you suggest?

Roland
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL Athlete Boos National Anthem at Banquet [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Patriotism is definitely a symptom of national insecurity. The question is where does that insecurity come from?
Young countries (or countries seeking independence) could be expected to be insecure. (U.S.A. in 1790, or Catalonia 2014).
Countries with oppressive (therefore semi-illegitimate) governments are at risk of internal disintegration (Soviet Union, North Korea) and thus insecure.

Neither of these things explain patriotism in the U.S.

How about some other theories:
1) Being in the military might be hard and dangerous work. It is cheaper to promote this activity through patriotism, than to offer fair and "reasonable" compensation. (Note what private contractors make versus U.S. soldiers).
2) Americans are too politically fractured and lack a sense of "common good" or "fair play." American politicians thus need a clear enemy to get anything done. The Taliban, Isis are good enemies. Economic crisis', poverty, ignorance, corruption are not. Patriotism and the military thus are the "good guys" that pull a fractured society together.

Maybe there are some better explannations.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL Athlete Boos National Anthem at Banquet [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
pattersonpaul wrote:
fulla wrote:

You seem to think that having a problem with the national anthem is unpatriotic. Am I wrong with that assessment?

The playing of The National Anthem means something to a lot of people in this country. This is not something new, not
something that's just now being sprung on everyone.

It's a 2-3 minute symbol honoring the people who have made The United States the sort of place that people
from other countries try to become a part of. There's not a huge problem with citizens of the United States trying
to escape to eastern europe, I'm not sure if you know that.

People from Cuba who have been lucky enough to come to the United States
don't have a problem with The National Anthem being sung here in public.

do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL Athlete Boos National Anthem at Banquet [TerramarMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TerramarMan wrote:
TerramarMan wrote:
burnman

Nov 5, 14 9:25

Post #17 of 95 (2573 views)
Re: IMFL Athlete Boos National Anthem at Banquet [ttaylo5] [In reply to]Quote | Reply

ttaylo5 wrote:
That's what makes this country so great. He is free to express those opinions. I am free to confront him for doing so, and others are free to shame him for his actions.

Burnman wrote:

Exactly true. However, retaliatory behavior doesn't make you a better person. It simply adds to the pile of intolerance.

[ This Space For Rent ]

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"It simply adds to the pile of intolerance."

Burnman,

Why do you feel inappropriate behavior should be "tolerated?" Are you a supporter/defender of the Westboro Baptist Church as well?

Kudos to the OP.

Standing up for our beliefs and values and doing the right thing at the risk of retribution are the dues we pay for our character, which in my opinion DOES make you a better person.

Where do you draw the line? What do you stand up for? How much bullshit do you tolerate?.....How does allowing inappropriate behavior make you a better person? ...... In essence, ....Where is YOUR character?

In short, per your own sig line ...."This Space For Rent"......Is that "space for rent" your ball sac?

Your entire response is rife with a pathetic breed of insecurity.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Re: IMFL Athlete Boos National Anthem at Banquet [RolandG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RolandG wrote:
pattersonpaul wrote:

Even if it's North Korea? Furthermore, normal doesn't necessarily equal right.

How can one be proud of a whole country? I've only ever been proud of my own achievements, which contribute little to nothing to the state of my country altogether. If others in my country do good and great things, how could it be my place to be proud of that? I didn't help them.

And how can one choose a new birth country, as you suggest?

I did not say "choose a new birth country". I said "look for a better country to call home". Obviously you can't pick
a new birth country. I think right there in Germany where you are is just right for you.

do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pattersonpaul wrote:
veganerd wrote:
pattersonpaul wrote:
fulla wrote:

The playing of The National Anthem means something to a lot of people in this country. This is not something new, not
something that's just now being sprung on everyone.

It's a 2-3 minute symbol honoring the people who have made The United States the sort of place that people
from other countries try to become a part of. There's not a huge problem with citizens of the United States trying

People from Cuba who have been lucky enough to come to the United States
don't have a problem with The National Anthem being sung here in public.

That doesn't answer my question

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pattersonpaul wrote:

I'm not sure if you know that significant parts of Eastern Europe are part of the EU and probably have - in some regions - higher quality of living than some regions in the US. Living in Warsaw or Prague could be preferable to living in, say, Detroit. Just saying.

Roland
Quote Reply

Prev Next