Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen this here yet, Garmin 945 leaked. [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Durhamskier wrote:
mgreer wrote:
The horror!!! Technology that's 2 years old!!!!


This would be funny if there weren't people here that agreed with you :p


And just think, I'm still using the 910..........

Ha! I'm still running a Forerunner 920XT! If you really want to be scared, I use an Edge 500 on my cyclocross bike. I literally don't need anything else. I'm not sure I can think of a single feature on any device that I feel like I would actually use.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen this here yet, Garmin 945 leaked. [chriselam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriselam wrote:
For most BT headphones the right ear bud is the master, i.e. it receives the signal from the sending device, be that your phone or watch. Therefore, putting the watch on your right hand will usually result in a better, more stable connection.

I had no idea this was a thing. I'm definitely going to try it out! Thanks for the life hack!
Quote Reply
Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen this here yet, Garmin 945 leaked. [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was really hoping they would go back to the square-face design of the 920 XT and previous models. I avoided the 935 for the round face

I need to try to keep my 920xt going for a few more years.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen this here yet, Garmin 945 leaked. [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
I was really hoping they would go back to the square-face design of the 920 XT and previous models. I avoided the 935 for the round face

I need to try to keep my 920xt going for a few more years.

I thought the same thing, but the screen quality on the 935 is so much better than the 920, it is totally worth the change. The colors are amazing in comparison.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen this here yet, Garmin 945 leaked. [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Disagree with this. Had a battery issue about 14 months after purchasing a 735XT. Ended up having to pay 50% of new watch cost for a replacement. I appreciate the watch was outside warranty, but that felt a really short period of time for a watch to crap out and would have expected a bit more goodwill from Garmin.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen this here yet, Garmin 945 leaked. [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
JoeO wrote:
I was really hoping they would go back to the square-face design of the 920 XT and previous models. I avoided the 935 for the round face

I need to try to keep my 920xt going for a few more years.


I thought the same thing, but the screen quality on the 935 is so much better than the 920, it is totally worth the change. The colors are amazing in comparison.

I've never had the slightest bit of trouble reading my 920, but even so, all they need to do is make a square one with that screen quality and it's the best of both worlds.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen this here yet, Garmin 945 leaked. [JerseyBigfoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’d call back and talk to someone else next time. They have been nothing but good to me
Quote Reply
Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen this here yet, Garmin 945 leaked. [jhammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jhammond wrote:
chriselam wrote:
For most BT headphones the right ear bud is the master, i.e. it receives the signal from the sending device, be that your phone or watch. Therefore, putting the watch on your right hand will usually result in a better, more stable connection.


I had no idea this was a thing. I'm definitely going to try it out! Thanks for the life hack!


BLE 4.0 is rated up to 100 meters, BLE 5.0 to 300 meters. I use a BLE headset for work and can walk at least 50 feet away from my PC without any dropouts or distortion. If you are having issues with dropouts or distortion where putting the watch on the right hand vs the left then there are some serious design flaws with whatever devices you are using.

I also use westone earbuds with a westone bluetooth cable outdoors biking and running and haven't had any dropouts using an iphone X in my pocket.

I suspect the biggest issue with any watch streaming music is that it's too low power. For obvious reasons, they probably use the lowest possible power usage and it most likely hinders it's functionality.
Last edited by: mcmetal: Apr 2, 19 6:47
Quote Reply
Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen this here yet, Garmin 945 leaked. [jhammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jhammond wrote:
chriselam wrote:
For most BT headphones the right ear bud is the master, i.e. it receives the signal from the sending device, be that your phone or watch. Therefore, putting the watch on your right hand will usually result in a better, more stable connection.


I had no idea this was a thing. I'm definitely going to try it out! Thanks for the life hack!

Also, you can have an issue picking up bluetooth and Ant signals outdoors when it's fine indoors. If you're outside and your body (mostly water, absorbs/blocks signal) is between your device and your headphones, it can block the signal. Indoors, the signal bounces off walls and gets picked up by your headphones just fine. This is why people can get very frustrated and disappointed when they try to use their wireless stuff outdoors when it worked fine in their training cave. I used to have a watch that wouldn't pick up my powertab hub outdoors in the aero position because too much of my body was between the two. But it worked fine indoors.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen this here yet, Garmin 945 leaked. [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have read the reasoning for this before. But the bottom line is that Garmin is selling a Running watch that doesn’t properly function outdoors. And in a gym, may have connectivity issues because there are so many other devices around. Got it. I hope they figure it out as I would (in fact did with the 645) pay extra to have one less thing (iPod or iPhone) to carry on my person when I run. But Garmin has got to figure this out first.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen this here yet, Garmin 945 leaked. [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Assuming the 945 does come with music - can anyone with a "Garmin music watch" already comment on audio quality? (available codec's, bitrate etc).
Quote Reply
Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen this here yet, Garmin 945 leaked. [p9ul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have commented here and in other threads on the 645. Are you only wanting specs?
Quote Reply
Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen this here yet, Garmin 945 leaked. [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
I have read the reasoning for this before. But the bottom line is that Garmin is selling a Running watch that doesn’t properly function outdoors. And in a gym, may have connectivity issues because there are so many other devices around. Got it. I hope they figure it out as I would (in fact did with the 645) pay extra to have one less thing (iPod or iPhone) to carry on my person when I run. But Garmin has got to figure this out first.


I don't disagree with your opinion. And I don't know if the Garmin watch music function works or not... I use an iPhone and airpods. I prefer to have a camera with me at all times to take pictures of nature or an incident if I have to. And the phone is handy as well. Until the watch takes pictures and makes calls, I'm probably still taking my phone with me anyway. I think the iPhone -Airpods combo probably has fewer issues than the Garmin watch because of the signal power the phone can crank out vs just a watch... along with whatever "miracle" engineering apple has put into their products. They do have far superior signal than any wireless headphone combo I've ever used before. Not sure Garmin can match Apple's R&D budget in that area.
Last edited by: ZenTriBrett: Apr 2, 19 9:50
Quote Reply
Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen this here yet, Garmin 945 leaked. [p9ul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
p9ul wrote:
Assuming the 945 does come with music - can anyone with a "Garmin music watch" already comment on audio quality? (available codec's, bitrate etc).
i have a Fenix 5x Plus. The music is awesome. Has a few issues when running under power lines near my home but once away from them I have no issues. Same when cycling.

Things I do to speed up connection to my Jaybird X3 headphones:

Turn off Bluetooth on my phone as they try to connect to that first.

And that’s it. Connects quickly and works as advertised.

I can’t comment about codecs and bitrates but the sound seems fine. It’s not a high end sound system after all.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen this here yet, Garmin 945 leaked. [p9ul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you’re an audiophile you’re going to be disappointed. If you just want to listen to music, podcasts, whatever then it’s great.

I randomly will get a bad connection with my $12 BT headphones. If I turn them off and reconnect then all is good.

I have it on my left hand and have had zero issues with solid connection. I’m not convinced that DFW Tri didn’t just get a bum unit.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen this here yet, Garmin 945 leaked. [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
ZenTriBrett wrote:
JoeO wrote:
I was really hoping they would go back to the square-face design of the 920 XT and previous models. I avoided the 935 for the round face

I need to try to keep my 920xt going for a few more years.


I thought the same thing, but the screen quality on the 935 is so much better than the 920, it is totally worth the change. The colors are amazing in comparison.


I've never had the slightest bit of trouble reading my 920, but even so, all they need to do is make a square one with that screen quality and it's the best of both worlds.

I still fantasize about brands moving back to the [Dot matrix? I don't know] screens like the Ambit 3 had. Although these new color screens are absolutely improving, the direct sunlight performance has always left me wanting. They look great on boxes, though, and that sells.

JustinDoesTriathlon
Quote Reply
Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen this here yet, Garmin 945 leaked. [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:
agreed, there isn't much I'd change.

I did actually have the baro sensor die on my 935 about three weeks ago.

Of course Garmin replaced it without charge despite it being well outside the warranty time frame. Hell, I got the 935 for free when my 920 died and got the 920 free after multiple 910 deaths.

Garmin is rock solid on the support front.

in the US maybe.
i'm in NZ. i also had my 935 barometer die, well within warranty. it took a couple of months of fighting to get response from garmin before they eventually agreed to replace it - not so much failing to honor warranty as just messing me around. they then left me with no watch for nearly 2 weeks while they went through their returns process before sending me out a reconditioned watch.
this is after i bought my 935 having had my 920 GPS become unreliable and since it was out of warranty they were only willing to charge me a significant amount for a reconditioned 920.

i'd drop garmin in a heartbeat if there was any real competition
Quote Reply
Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen this here yet, Garmin 945 leaked. [pk1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did not need to hear that... Jsut noticed my HR is cracked and need support. Last time I dealt with them I 'simply' bought a strap and HRM strap. Net result was being charged twice and taking 4 months and upwards of 10 phone calls / emails to get refunded. And note I was paying a premium to buy from Garmin direct thinking it would be hassle/risk free In fairness that's good business by them as I'm more tempted to buy a new one than go through the pain of a warranty replacement.

This is what worries me about the Tacx/Garmin merger. The unreliability of Tacx with the naff support (in NZ) of Garmin.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen this here yet, Garmin 945 leaked. [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
Did not need to hear that... Jsut noticed my HR is cracked and need support. Last time I dealt with them I 'simply' bought a strap and HRM strap. Net result was being charged twice and taking 4 months and upwards of 10 phone calls / emails to get refunded. And note I was paying a premium to buy from Garmin direct thinking it would be hassle/risk free In fairness that's good business by them as I'm more tempted to buy a new one than go through the pain of a warranty replacement.

This is what worries me about the Tacx/Garmin merger. The unreliability of Tacx with the naff support (in NZ) of Garmin.

sorry!
there is actually no garmin support in NZ, its run out of Australia which is why the phone line is only available in the afternoon. or i was emailing with someone in the UK which meant even slower than usual replies
Quote Reply
Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen this here yet, Garmin 945 leaked. [pk1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, that's where the problems started. There was a cockup between the website and order team in Aus, and the local warehouse in NZ that posted it. But then it turned into a comedy as it seems they didn't have the ability to refund in NZ$. The 4th person I spoke to honestly said "Let me explain how internet commerce works...". At which point my blood boiled and I explained in relatively simple terms to the 18 year old call centre employee that I pretty much had the basics, - customer orders, pays, get the goods. What assisted me in having the ability to fritter $1000 on a watch is the job I've had which does require some basic mental competency, such that the alternate that they had delivered - customer orders, customer told order cancelled for no reason, customer charged twice, customer pays for shipping of second set of goods, customer not refunded for either goods or shipping for 4 months is not textbook of internet commerce. There was then 20 minutes of "please can I speak to your supervisor" "no" "please can I speak to your supervisor", "no" etc. Admittedlywhen I did speak to his supervisor he was as inept, albeit slightly less offensive.

Anyway back on topic, which Suunto do I get to replace the 935.....
Quote Reply
Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen this here yet, Garmin 945 leaked. [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, here's my situation...... Bought a Fenix 5X Plus, returned it in under a week after I saw that the GPS was indeed way off as mentioned in another thread.

I'm using my beat up no-longer-waterproof 310xt for now, wondering whether to hold out for the 945 and see what's what, or if I should go ahead with a 935 if I don't care about contactless payments.

Seems to be a lot of 935 users in here - how have you found the GPS accuracy?
Quote Reply
Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen this here yet, Garmin 945 leaked. [AirWeaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AirWeaver wrote:

Seems to be a lot of 935 users in here - how have you found the GPS accuracy?

I've had zero complaints. I did get some crappy OW swims for a few weeks, but that was a specific weird case of swimming with the dual gonlass/GPS setting on, at the arse end of the world and in the shadow of volcano, and not starting it before I got into the water. I turned that back to 'just' gps and it's been flawless.

Honestly, no complaints about features, accuracy, comfort or anything. I was worried about battery life for IM but ended up with >50% left at the finish which makes that initial worry moot.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen this here yet, Garmin 945 leaked. [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can be a bit picky with audio quality but I wouldn't consider myself an audiophile by any stretch - but I can be very picky about earbuds!

NFC and music are nice to have (which I'd use intermittently) I'm more interested in a larger & crisper screen - one that extends further towards the outer bezel rather than having a 4mm ring of empty space,

I'll be upgrading from a Fenix 3 - I've held off from the 935 as it felt like I'd only be paying out for a weight reduction, but online prices seem to be dropping now - I'll go for one of those if the 945 isn't a decent step forward...
Quote Reply
Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen this here yet, Garmin 945 leaked. [p9ul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Then you’ll be fine I think with audio on it. Especially working out where I’m working out - not lounging to enjoy Dvorak.

I came from a 920xt and like the screen on the Fenix5+ a lot. So I bet a Fenix 3 to the 945 will be equally good of an upgrade.
Quote Reply
Re: I'm surprised I haven't seen this here yet, Garmin 945 leaked. [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just bought a 935 after 6 years using my 910 which is still going strong on my kids arm.

I loved this part..."the long awaited update to the 935 multi-sports watch"
Last edited by: Scottxs: Apr 3, 19 6:10
Quote Reply

Prev Next