Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [Asilverm1970] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, would that be great customer service if they can.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Wow, would that be great customer service if they can.

Please. We are not talking WTC which could be renames SOL.

Whether HITS would do it or not is another question. But they honestly will give it thought and consider it unliked the canned corporate response.
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [iron07] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's my pleasure; and, did you have a good time in Grand Junction?

Mark H. Wilson
Wilson Endurance Sports, LLC
Office: 914-466-9214
http://www.CoachMarkWilson.com
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [Asilverm1970] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Adam...Thank you for asking! And, I replied to your message directly...but wanted to mention it here, too. Yes, whatever the prices are when you register, you'd pay that pricing difference to upgrade to a longer distance. Sound good? See you soon!!

Mark H. Wilson
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Done.

Mark H. Wilson
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [Maui5150] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Maui5150...I want to honor the fact that folks have committed to race with HITS; if you register and want to go long(er), that works for me. And, you should in return be supported because of the decision to register EARLY; I want you to register early in order for HITS to plan the logistics associated with the event. So...enjoy!

Mark H. Wilson
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [MarkWilson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You guys are the best. Guess this is why I have done all the HITS napa races, and am already signed up again for next year!

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you, h2ofun! I'm doing my very best; thanks for noticing. See you in Napa, if not sooner!

Mark H. Wilson
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [MarkWilson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's awesome. Mark, you're really setting the bar pretty high for customer service. Looking froward to 2 great races this summer. Adam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's my pleasure, Adam; and, thanks for noticing! Train well.

Mark H. Wilson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MarkWilson wrote:
Hi Maui5150...I want to honor the fact that folks have committed to race with HITS; if you register and want to go long(er), that works for me. And, you should in return be supported because of the decision to register EARLY; I want you to register early in order for HITS to plan the logistics associated with the event. So...enjoy!

Hi Mark

Not disagreeing with you. I was infact stating that questions like the one posed are more likely to be considered by companies like HITS, Rev3, and many other small series, whether a single race or the local director who has a half dozen under their belts. I have seen a definite desires by those organizations to create an athlete-focused environment and experience, and more likely to accommodate those pesky issues that life throws at one. Haven't done a HITS race, and schedule wise don't see one in my future, but I would still love to see HITS grow and thrive as do I for the local races as well
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [Maui5150] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool! Thanks for the support, Maui5150; MUCH appreciated. I hope you meet you someday soon!

Mark H. Wilson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MarkWilson wrote:
Hi Adam...Thank you for asking! And, I replied to your message directly...but wanted to mention it here, too. Yes, whatever the prices are when you register, you'd pay that pricing difference to upgrade to a longer distance. Sound good? See you soon!!

Amazing! You make HITS enjoyable!
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [DamonHenry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you, Sir!

Mark H. Wilson
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [davedaprato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Dave,

I am coming late into this discussion and will not try to persuade you to change your opinion about the events or organizers. Not because I agree with it but because I respect it. It's your opinion and you are entitled to it.

If the negative impression you have stems from a bad experience in one of the HITS events I can only hope you give them another chance and experience the satisfaction most of us in this forum seem to share.

But more to the point, I want to ask you a favor. Help us make HITS better by volunteering in one of their upcoming events.

You are correct in that HITS is a fledgling company when it comes to triathlons, so help build it. Help it achieve its potential. I don't doubt you have ideas on how they can improve as an organization. Let them hear you.

If you volunteer for HITS North Country (Hague, NY) I will shake your hand (I am volunteering).

--
Marcelo Arruda
Last edited by: mbeolchi: Jun 5, 14 12:20
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [mbeolchi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great post. So many just complain but never help. My wife and I volunteer at more races than I race at, and I race a lot per year.

I will be racing, then helping with my wife at the Folsom Ca USAproductions races on Sunday. Come by and say hi.

Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [mbeolchi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for your optimism. In the case of HITS, it is a concern of logistics, organization, marketing, culture of triathlon, and year after year numbers. I have been in triathlon 14+ years now, and I consider that a respectable amount of time considering the popularity boom in triathlon didn't really hit until about 2005-2006. I have also volunteered at several races for several years as medical staff.
Logistics and organization: It is very difficult to be safe when you have that many races occurring in one weekend. I'm sure medical coverage is sparse at best. They might have a finish line tent, but nothing else at all from what I have seen and heard. The fact that they were planning to have a race in Northern MI in October tells me that not only have they not produced a needs analysis for the area, but that they were essentially just throwing out some "bait" and hoping lots of athletes would jump at the opportunity. October in Northern MI is not only way too cold for races of this distance, but MI is already so oversaturated with Tri's that an event like HITS would never survive.
Marketing: They marketed for races and then didn't deliver...bad form. Numbers show that HITS just isn't as popular as their marketing content might suggest. I am certainly not a mega-fan of IM like some people are, but if you can't draw numbers like IM does, you will not succeed with this type of event. My advice would have been to start small...like Rev3 did. Build up from a good foundation.
Culture of triathlon: this again speaks to how triathlon is spread way too thin especially in MI. Everyone thinks that you can make tons of money whether it be for charity or personal gain by hosting races. It really is not lucrative. In 1998, triathletes went to a race, competed, loved the challenge and the cameraderie, and enjoyed the ability to finish. I could write a book about how this has changed over the years. I love this sport with everything I have to offer, and I really don't want it becoming a mockery like 5k's have become. There are so many 5k's in the country it's rediculous.
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [davedaprato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Dave,

If I am correct you are a triathlon coach in addition to being a triathlete. Being also in the medical field you are in a position to provide HITS with valuable input and feedback. Even if a single suggestion you make were to be implemented we all would profit from it. So I urge you to voice your suggestions to the HITS team.

As for how well they will fare... please take a look at this article from The Wall Street Journal: http://online.wsj.com/...tle-brews-1401750109. It IS an uphill battle. You can help push them down or help lift them. It's a personal choice.

Interestingly enough, the article mentions the Norseman Xtreme (http://www.nxtri.com/...0th_anniversary_film), which I hope you get to do someday (if you haven't already done it). It allows only 250 participants each year, of which half must be Norwegian. This boils down to only 100 slots given to non-Norwegian males. There is a lottery for the slots. Cost of the event ~$450. Caveat: You must have your own support crew. Difficulty of the event: 19,000ft of vertical gain on the bike leg (5 mountain passages), last 10 miles on the run is up a mountain.

I believe that many races will fade away. Others will prosper. A few will be elevated to "cult" status, like the Norseman. My guess is that HITS is here to stay.

PS: I am one of the very fortunate ones to have gotten a slot for the Norseman this year. I have been using HITS races in preparation for the event. Wish me luck!

--
Marcelo Arruda
Quote Reply

Prev Next