Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [JayZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JayZ wrote:
scofflaw wrote:
lightheir wrote:
I suspect they'll do fine.

The Half distance runs concurrently as the full, so they're not losing much by putting on the full - it's just a few more hours of course time on top of the fixed expenses.

Also, a lot of people sign up but don't show on race day - at Napa last year, over half the HIM spots were empty. (You can tell because they reserve stools with your name/number on them in transition - half my rack was empty.)

It's also a much more low key event - which I like. No big schwag bag, no big party - very minimal food, even less than that of the local sprints I've done here in Norcal. Just racing, no fuss, no muss. I do hope the continue though.

And I think that's the niche they're going for--two tiers down in production value from WTC and Rev3 and a more mom-and-pop feel. I didn't mind not having "name" pros at HITS NV . . . hell, the winner was being paced by a coach on an MTB when I saw him on the out-and-back run.

But if they could take COJO's advice and build courses where AG'ers have a shot at a PR (as opposed to Marble Falls and a hilly course (bike AND run) with poor roads in Napa), HITS would thrive. Sad but true.

Isn't that cheating?

Maybe my phone is black and white . . . Was pink font intended?

The answer is Yes, even in a gorilla suit.

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [trainlighter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am happy to answer just about any question you ask; however, I have a feeling you won't be satisfied with what/how I express it. Regardless, I'm here to help! What can I do for you?

Mark H. Wilson
Wilson Endurance Sports, LLC
Office: 914-466-9214
http://www.CoachMarkWilson.com
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [scofflaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pink font intended? Hell, I don't even know anymore.

In any case the post I quoted originally seemed to be insinuating that someone blatantly cheating and winning a race to boot somehow gives a "mom and pop" feel... Anyway... It's a discussion that really isn't Germane to the thread.
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [Dave Latourette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave Latourette wrote:
Dave ... their numbers are up in the short race because Envirosports is not holding their races this weekend ... and their numbers are down in the long races.

Dave, here is why I think their numbers are up, and I have done all their races at Napa and signed up for next year already.

First, the price!!! I just paid 65 bucks to register early for an Olympic race, nothing compares.

They are USAT sactioned. (I basically only do USAT races now)

They are early in the season.

The Napa course is a nice hard hilly bike and a real hard total hilly run course. I love this, very little drafting opportunity.

This it is a hard course, with a good quality/quantity field, decent USAT ranking point opportunity.

HITS transition area is the best of anyone on the Northern Calif circuit of races, minus WTC.

Swim has nice water to swim in.

Good parking.

Mark is always open to inputs.

Yep, their long numbers are down, but for the money and a nice honest tough course, for some, it is the best around. The half is a great distance for early in the season and is nice and hard. Full, well, WTC has the market but boy do you pay for it.

Bottom line, if the race was poor, I would not have already signed up for my 4th year, you know me.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [MarkWilson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MarkWilson wrote:
Hi...Thank you for asking!

1. Yes, same format.
2. Yes, it makes sense for us; that income for the Full is needed to offset the overall cost. And, if you're gonna spend that much money for 1 event (airfare, lodging, salaries, per diem) and spend the time for set-up, why not do 5 distances?
3. We're listening to everyone; ALL of the feedback we get is immediately implemented...in many cases, even the next day.
4. I guess you haven't raced with us recently; the latest medals are quite nice by Always Advancing.

Does this help?

Yes keep the 2 day format... people who do the 140.6 can do the olympic the next day and have true bragging rights! I remember at Havasu the 140.6 winner (low 10 hour time) did the spring next day and came in 3rd with a respectable time too.
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [trainlighter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like you, I'm interested in HITS developments.

My family hadn't ever considered racing with HITS prior to two weeks ago. Saturday, we raced Marble Falls Half. Our desires for the event were delivered to a surplus. Due to 70.3 Galviston's 2015 date change to the same weekend as Hits Marble Falls, my family debated, and chose the Marble Falls Half for 2015 because it better meets our goals, which says a lot because Galveston is a good WTC race.

We realized Galveston's date change also left late March / early April open, and HITS Ocala still has early pricing for one more day, so we're registering. If Naples still had early pricing, we'd register for that too. We've gone from zero to possibly three HITS races for 2015, so I'm very interested in developments.
Last edited by: DamonHenry: Apr 29, 14 14:02
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [MarkWilson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the response but you've really got me all wrong. I was previously lurking around this thread because I'm interested in seeing groups other than WTC be successful. Of course, the thread was already well on its way to Godwin status when you dropped in but, in my opinion, showing up with a nice snarky shot at the OP wasn't really how I'd go about promoting my race series. Regardless, I thought I'd try and get things back on track and asked the questions I did simply to try and get you to maybe open up about what going on over there. Since then it seems like there's others interested in talking with you and you've been answering those questions so maybe my post helped get what I was hoping for anyway.

Actually, one specific question I have is whether or not HITS has any plans or has tried to put on an in-season race in southern California? It's been widely lamented that short of IMCA, there's few long course races in the region and if it can be pulled off, it should be a popular.

Again, thanks for participating. Maybe I came off poorly and that certainly wasn't my intention.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe you might want to pick up the phone and call Mark and talk with him directly. Social Media, IMO, is the worst place to get answers on questions, and boy do I know this first hand. :o)

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [JayZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We might be missing the big picture here team. Anyone that organizes a start and finish line no matter what the program should be friends of ours and deserves our support.

Maybe they'll be more beers and pink tutu's at next years race? Don't forget this is an awesome, low stress first 1/2 iron distance and a great aqua bike full before Woodlands 140.6.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You do realize that Mark had posted several answers to the OP and others prior to his "We'll be fine, thanks for asking" post, right? That post wasn't his first on the thread (nor was it snarky IMHO)

I did HITS Grand Junction Oly last year. Mark did a great job and I had an awesome race. I would have done it again, but decided to focus only on Xterras.

And ironically, I was a hunter/jumper trainer for many years, so used to give lots of money to the HITS horse show series. I thought they were stalking me to get more of my money when they started the HITS triathlons!
Last edited by: LoDewey: Apr 29, 14 16:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trainlighter wrote:
Thanks for the response but you've really got me all wrong. I was previously lurking around this thread because I'm interested in seeing groups other than WTC be successful. Of course, the thread was already well on its way to Godwin status when you dropped in but, in my opinion, showing up with a nice snarky shot at the OP wasn't really how I'd go about promoting my race series. Regardless, I thought I'd try and get things back on track and asked the questions I did simply to try and get you to maybe open up about what going on over there. Since then it seems like there's others interested in talking with you and you've been answering those questions so maybe my post helped get what I was hoping for anyway.

Actually, one specific question I have is whether or not HITS has any plans or has tried to put on an in-season race in southern California? It's been widely lamented that short of IMCA, there's few long course races in the region and if it can be pulled off, it should be a popular.

Again, thanks for participating. Maybe I came off poorly and that certainly wasn't my intention.

I appreciate the "get this back on track". I think Mark handled it just fine. I didn't see it as snarky. I have been helping out a race director and it has been very clear to me how careful a race director's words need to be chosen when speaking to people. You never know what their mindset is when you respond. Some people may just be insecure about their first race, and some people feel they are part of a non-existent movement to destroy any races that they don't agree with (for a non-existent reason). If Mark had said, "We're making plenty of money.", Several people would have had their pitch-forks at the ready to say "Then why do you charge athletes so much?". It is a sad truth and I never saw it until I was on their side.

It is depressing to see how many athletes want to see race directors fail. An RD can say "lol...I wore mismatched shoes today!" and a handful of athletes will respond with, "That's because you let a volunteer gave me water instead of Gatorade last month, you jerk!". You can imagine how careful an RD must be when People are saying, "When is their company going to die?" with the underlying meaning of "ugghh...just go away" (at least that is how I interpreted it). There are many athletes that feel that no matter how little you charge and no matter how much you provide, they still want to see you crack...and for little or no reason.

I don't think he was snarky. I think he entered a den of wolves to make himself available and intelligently navigated it. If you want a "talk over beers" conversation...then have a "talk over beers"
conversation in person or over the phone....not a "Let me expose you in front of these people" conversation.
Last edited by: lifejustice: Apr 29, 14 16:51
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [CPA_PFS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CPA_PFS wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
The HITS company (which is HUGE in the Equestrian community) has plenty of money.

They are a large producer of jumping horse shows. HITS (Horse shows In The Sun). Weird name.

As an aside, the name comes from the fact that their first set of shows was in Ocala, Florida, in the winter. "Horse shows in the Sun" -> come down to Florida this winter to show in the sun. Then, if I recall correctly, they first expanded to hold other winter circuits - in California and Arizona. Then they expanded into other months and more northern locations, but kept the name.
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [lifejustice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't take Mark's replies as snarky. I just took it as him not answering the question.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trainlighter wrote:
You're right about that, he answered every question I asked, just as I asked them. My bad for not trying to create a better engagement for sure. I was simply hoping to hear more from him about what they're up to and probably should have not given him bullets to answer rather than offering some talking points. I should just avoid the pink font concept, maybe he thought I was just trolling...

It just seems like he's lost an opportunity to engage with some folks more than a snarky reply to the OP. I've seen plenty of others around here do a lot better when their brand is a topic of conversation and it certainly isn't the way I'd go about trying to get people interested in my race series.

I really don't know what you're expecting. This would be like me asking CEOIronman when he thinks Providence Equity is going to sell it, and to who, for how much. If he answered, of course it would be a canned response about always keeping options open and seeking to provide the best experience to the competitors. Neither is going to hand insider info out on a public forum.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trainlighter wrote:
it certainly isn't the way I'd go about trying to get people interested in my race series.

He's not sinking to our level, a completely un-fun tactic which I admire.

"The bullshit piles up so fast around here you need wings to stay above it."

Anyone?

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mark...
YOUR race got me into Tri... into ALL of this.. did an Oly last year and my first half is next month... You got me down 30 lbs, and into health... the high 5 I got from you exiting the water in Naples was epic.

Thanks, and glad 'y'all are doing fine.

Dr. G
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [dmounts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dmounts wrote:
16?? that's a group ride not a race.... Who wants to "race" 15 others??

GMAN19030 wrote:
Marble Falls over the weekend.

2014:
Sprint 108
Oly 137
Half 160
Full 16

2013:
Sprint 181
Oly 204
Half 223
Full 35

Looks like Napa Valley pulled similar numbers as 2013. Naples as well. Ocala short course numbers were similar to 2013, long course numbers down significantly.

This is year 3 for HITS and they certainly haven't grown and the four races this year have shown a down trend from the prior year.

If I were them I'd completely give up on the long course races and concentrate on the short stuff but even then I'm not sure there's money to be made on the short course racing for a national level company.

Didn't the original ironman race only have 12 guys finish? My guess is every one of those guys enjoyed racing each other.

Regardless, out here in Southern California they had an increase in participants for the 70.3 and 140.6 races. I believe they sold out the 70.3 in 2013:

70.3:
2012 -- 218 finishers
2013 -- 394 finishers

So the Palm Springs race seems to be doing well.
Last edited by: elburrito99: Apr 29, 14 18:36
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you!

Mark H. Wilson
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep; Brian Folts.

Mark H. Wilson
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [DamonHenry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bless you, Damon; and, if you've got a group for Naples, I can get you a SWEET discount for that, too! Please let me know. Again, thank you for your support!!!

Mark H. Wilson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No worries, Trainlighter; I'm truly happy to answer any questions...so, thank you very much for your interest in HITS!! Regarding an "in-season" southern CA HITS event; nope, we're VERY pleased with Palm Springs in December. However...with the right support locally (reduced or minimal police/venue/city fees) we could be swayed in that direction; please let me know if you and anyone else is interested. Sound good? Train well!

Mark H. Wilson
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you!

Mark H. Wilson
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [BonusTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you!

Mark H. Wilson
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [LoDewey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you!

Mark H. Wilson
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [lifejustice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you!

Mark H. Wilson
Quote Reply

Prev Next