Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [AndresLD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndresLD wrote:
I've done HITS Napa and was quite happy with my overall experience. I was planning on doing it this year but unfortunately I was unable to. To your point of a podium not meaning anything at a HITS race. Relatively speaking, a podium finish in any race doesn't mean anything. Ironman, Rev3, Challenge, HITS, etc. Is a 4:30 different when you beat 12 people instead of 100? All things equal, is a 4:45 better if you beat 100 people than a 4:30 if you beat 3? I don't get it, most of us are just AG racing. If getting our Elite Card is what we're after, we wouldn't be racing HITS to begin with.

Please take a reading class. I specifically stated that I was referring to a podium position in a FULL distance race. My comment does not apply to any other HITS distance so your strawman argument about a HIM time has no relevance. But yes, the same time over a similar course or conditions would be just as good if not better in a HITS race specifically due to the lack of competition. And while times are useful metric, in the final analysis, racing is a concept that entails competition against others, not just the clock ... whether you are an AG racer (as am I) or an Elite.
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
AndresLD wrote:
I've done HITS Napa and was quite happy with my overall experience. I was planning on doing it this year but unfortunately I was unable to. To your point of a podium not meaning anything at a HITS race. Relatively speaking, a podium finish in any race doesn't mean anything. Ironman, Rev3, Challenge, HITS, etc. Is a 4:30 different when you beat 12 people instead of 100? All things equal, is a 4:45 better if you beat 100 people than a 4:30 if you beat 3? I don't get it, most of us are just AG racing. If getting our Elite Card is what we're after, we wouldn't be racing HITS to begin with.

Please take a reading class. I specifically stated that I was referring to a podium position in a FULL distance race. My comment does not apply to any other HITS distance so your strawman argument about a HIM time has no relevance. But yes, the same time over a similar course or conditions would be just as good if not better in a HITS race specifically due to the lack of competition. And while times are useful metric, in the final analysis, racing is a concept that entails competition against others, not just the clock ... whether you are an AG racer (as am I) or an Elite.

Instead of taking it so literally, double the times to make it full distance (or cut it in half for an Olympic) and my point remains the same. I'm sorry if you don't get my point, perhaps I should also enroll in a writing class.
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [CPA_PFS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahh, riding….The ONLY sport which costs more than triathlon. My meager living can attest to this- all money goes towards the horses and triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Twisting your comments would mean that I purposely changed what I knew to be true.....Instead...I gave you my genuine interpretation of your message that you wrote. After re-reading your post several times over...Im still convinced about the first paragraph...it looks like a straight up 'bash'...smells like a 'bash' and sounds like a 'bash'. I did my my part by rereading as you requested and it seems as if some others have made the same interpretation as I. Maybe you should re-read before you post to make sure that your message is clear? I dont think you meant any ill-will however, that first paragraph is a flat out bash on anyone who participated or was involved in that 140.6 race. If that was not your intentions....then you need to learn some tact.

These folks took great care of me Saturday and the 140.6 racers worked very hard that day and the months leading up to it...I hung around and watched some of them. So I take it personal because we all suffered together. And if you were one of the volunteers working your ass off for me...or one of the 140.6 podium winners that suffered right along with me(only twice as far).....I would defend you also.

"WHEW...I really regret that workout!"..............Noone
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the Oly this weekend at MF as a tuneup (success there) for Gulfcoast in two weeks. To get right to the point, I agree that at least for this area, they should focus on the Oly/Sprint distance. They could really blow it out of the water if they dropped the expense/energy of the half/full distance and made a weekend out of Oly/sprint. Perhaps, a sprint on Saturday and then Oly Sunday, and heck have a points shootout for doing the double. They need to face it . . . most folks doing half and full want more than to just do the distance (prestige and Mike Riley) . . . and the purists can put on their on personal iron distance race.

Use the extra manpower and budget for better post race food, entertainment, race support, and on course support/nutrition. I think the venue/course are excellent.
Swim- Clean water, wetsuit legal temps, calm, very spectator friendly (best my wife has experienced)
Bike- Simple course, roads a bit rough but very safe (no potholes/cracks), 8-10foot shoulder in general despite good traffic control, Profile was rolling (kinda tuff for average cyclist, but very manageable)
Run-Flat camber shoulder out and back, no shade, but no problem . . . rolling but 6% grade at most\\\
Summary- not a PR course, but simple to manage, and a good challenge. Someone referred to Buffalo Springs and I'd say the MF course is a good warmup for that . . . but the bike at BS is a bit steeper and more technical decents, run at BS is tougher (steeper hills and definitely hotter).

But to the point of the OP, if they stay with the current game plan at MF; I'd say it fails. You just can't be all things . . . pick something and do it very well. They did both days basically at Par.
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [gonzaleziam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gonzaleziam wrote:
Did the sprint the first year it started in Corpus. Was very disappointed with the .76 cent finisher medal they gave away .

I heard the 8th place AG ribbons they gave out were cheesy too.
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [COJO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
COJO wrote:
Twisting your comments would mean that I purposely changed what I knew to be true.....Instead...I gave you my genuine interpretation of your message that you wrote. After re-reading your post several times over...Im still convinced about the first paragraph...it looks like a straight up 'bash'...smells like a 'bash' and sounds like a 'bash'. I did my my part by rereading as you requested and it seems as if some others have made the same interpretation as I. Maybe you should re-read before you post to make sure that your message is clear? I dont think you meant any ill-will however, that first paragraph is a flat out bash on anyone who participated or was involved in that 140.6 race. If that was not your intentions....then you need to learn some tact.

These folks took great care of me Saturday and the 140.6 racers worked very hard that day and the months leading up to it...I hung around and watched some of them. So I take it personal because we all suffered together. And if you were one of the volunteers working your ass off for me...or one of the 140.6 podium winners that suffered right along with me(only twice as far).....I would defend you also.

Absolutely! It is a straight up, tactless, but FACTUAL punch to the nose that goes directly to the heart of the OP's question...the future viability of the race series. And what did I say ... "there can be no doubt that at the FULL 140.6 distance, the series is a spectacular failure. Getting a podium spot or even winning a HITS full means nothing." Maybe that hit some nerves but all the counter arguments are veering off in another direction. Do you really want to argue that the FULL distance races are a wild success? That 140.6 races with fewer than 20 finishers are not only financially successful but also competitive?

In no way does the complete absence of a competitive race diminish the achievement of those who did it. In fact their finisher's medal is as good as any other race (metaphorically speaking apart from the 76 cents medal someone else complained about). But a podium place in the HITS Full is nothing to brag about. Many age groups are completely unrepresented and others have 1 to 3 entrants. Thems are facts! And it's not like the top long course AG racers are coming out of the woodwork to be 1 of 1 in their division at HITS. I venture that some of the overall winners would have great difficulty placing in their AG in other race series (e.g., WTC or Challenge).

Financially and competitively, it all boils down to the abysmally low turn-out for the full distance offering which doesn't seem to be changing after over two years. So debate that if you want, but don't twist it into an attack on volunteers or something else about the race which I did not say. If it will make you happy, then kudos to the volunteers at the race you did.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I cant say the HITS 140.6 series has been a success or a failure at this point...because I dont know their objective. Neither do you. So its pointless to argue that part of it. Again, Im not twisting your words....and you are the one who has veered this argument off. My original problem was with your comments sounding insensitive and shallow...especially in the first paragraph of your post. i stand by that...your comments are insensitive and shallow. You could have gotten your point out with much better taste and a much better vernacular that would actually encourage the growth of the race and the sport in general. But when people google HITS 170.3 to find out if they should give it a shot now...theyre going to read a post that mentions "epic failure" "to podium means nothing" "people should just go do the distance on their own". Maybe HITS is targeting the exact demograph they are getting...sure numbers are low...but this is only its 3rd year at MF....and kinks are getting worked out. If HITS objective was to compete with IM140.6.....then youre distastefully right. I was only trying to point out that the words you used were crap and in NO WAY promoted the sport nor did it promote another race series that many of us can benefit from. Its a low key and enjoyable race that needs to be promoted not bashed.

"WHEW...I really regret that workout!"..............Noone
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [COJO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think they should time their races same date as WTC events but charge 1/2 the price. I think the people complaining about low turn out for 140.6 saying its a group ride - probably like to draft? Why are you worried about other people and not being the best you can be? Its not like you are going for a pro purse prize.
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We're going to do just fine. Thanks for asking!

Mark H. Wilson
Wilson Endurance Sports, LLC
Office: 914-466-9214
http://www.CoachMarkWilson.com
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [MarkWilson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MarkWilson wrote:

POTW
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [TriGirrrrl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
:)

Mark H. Wilson
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [TriGirrrrl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriGirrrrl wrote:
MarkWilson wrote:

POTW
_____

FLW ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [MarkWilson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay, points for the clever response but the OP and others have made some reasonable points. It would be great to hear more from you than "We're going to do just fine. Thanks for asking".

• What's next for HITS, do you intend to continue the same format of all distances for your race series?
  • Based on the full distance participation, does it really make sense to offer that option or could something be else done with the funds needed to manage those few racers?
  • How can HITS improve the racer's experience for its events to help promote more participation?

• Do you intend to offer better medals than those valued at .76 cents in the future?

It seems there's plenty of people on this board interested in your series, here's your chance to help us get on board.

Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [trainlighter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi...Thank you for asking!

1. Yes, same format.
2. Yes, it makes sense for us; that income for the Full is needed to offset the overall cost. And, if you're gonna spend that much money for 1 event (airfare, lodging, salaries, per diem) and spend the time for set-up, why not do 5 distances?
3. We're listening to everyone; ALL of the feedback we get is immediately implemented...in many cases, even the next day.
4. I guess you haven't raced with us recently; the latest medals are quite nice by Always Advancing.

Does this help?

Mark H. Wilson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Other than my pink font failure on the medal question I guess your succinct answers are fine. You really seem to be throwing your heart into this thread and it is quite telling to me. No sense in elaborating, it's only your chance to communicate with your customer base, after all.

Lots of luck with your series, don't bother wasting any more of your time here, I think we get the point.
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [trainlighter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He answered your questions. I personally appreciate brevity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
he answered your questions. chill out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't see anything wrong with the answers he gave you - it was nice of him to take the time to post.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mark,

Does HITS ever plan on having prize purses for pros?

speedySTATES
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [fartleker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Fartleker...Not at this time; at least, it's not been discussed. So, we're going with what we have right now; it's working, so full steam ahead. Thank you!

Mark H. Wilson
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're right about that, he answered every question I asked, just as I asked them. My bad for not trying to create a better engagement for sure. I was simply hoping to hear more from him about what they're up to and probably should have not given him bullets to answer rather than offering some talking points. I should just avoid the pink font concept, maybe he thought I was just trolling...

It just seems like he's lost an opportunity to engage with some folks more than a snarky reply to the OP. I've seen plenty of others around here do a lot better when their brand is a topic of conversation and it certainly isn't the way I'd go about trying to get people interested in my race series.
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave ... their numbers are up in the short race because Envirosports is not holding their races this weekend ... and their numbers are down in the long races.

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, if it helps at all, Mark does have his phone number in his posts. :)

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [scofflaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scofflaw wrote:
lightheir wrote:
I suspect they'll do fine.

The Half distance runs concurrently as the full, so they're not losing much by putting on the full - it's just a few more hours of course time on top of the fixed expenses.

Also, a lot of people sign up but don't show on race day - at Napa last year, over half the HIM spots were empty. (You can tell because they reserve stools with your name/number on them in transition - half my rack was empty.)

It's also a much more low key event - which I like. No big schwag bag, no big party - very minimal food, even less than that of the local sprints I've done here in Norcal. Just racing, no fuss, no muss. I do hope the continue though.

And I think that's the niche they're going for--two tiers down in production value from WTC and Rev3 and a more mom-and-pop feel. I didn't mind not having "name" pros at HITS NV . . . hell, the winner was being paced by a coach on an MTB when I saw him on the out-and-back run.

But if they could take COJO's advice and build courses where AG'ers have a shot at a PR (as opposed to Marble Falls and a hilly course (bike AND run) with poor roads in Napa), HITS would thrive. Sad but true.

Isn't that cheating?
Quote Reply

Prev Next