Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [DamonHenry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DamonHenry wrote:
Russaggie wrote:
DamonHenry wrote:
Russaggie wrote:
I think one of their biggest issues with Marble Falls is the timing of when they hold the event. It is three weeks after Galveston 70.3 and three weeks before IMTX.

Galveston is moved to April 26 2015.

Which is the same weekend that they are doing Marble Falls next year.

Galveston in early April sure was preferable. Do you know if the move a one year thing to avoid Easter? The move probable takes it off my schedule.

Where is confirmation of the Marble Falls 2015 date?

It's to avoid Easter.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [DamonHenry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have seen it's going to be May 16th.

Then starting in 2016 it's going to move up to April.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DamonHenry wrote:
Do you know a date for IMTX 2015?

IMTX will still be in mid-May for 2015 and 2016. The move to April doesn't happen until year 2 of the new contract, which is 2017.

Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [Russaggie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Russaggie wrote:
I'm not sure what's going to happen with Galveston after 2015 since IMTX is moving up on the calendar.

As for the date of HITS MF 2015, I asked the RD in the Marble Falls 2013 thread that was revived leading up to this past weekend and that's when he said it was going to be.

HITS would be incredibly foolish to hold the MF race the same day as Galveston.

Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [gonzaleziam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gonzaleziam wrote:
Did the sprint the first year it started in Corpus. Was very disappointed with the .76 cent finisher medal they gave away for the amount of money I paid for a sprint race.

They gave a finisher's medal for a sprint triathlon? Weird.
Thinking it wasn't good enough? Even weirder.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He could always say he raced the ironman distance ;).

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HITS also does a running series 5k-26.2 with some courses boston certified. Meb K who won boston was at this past weekend event in Kingston NY. I love the no pressure option of this race that you can drop down in distance if you want.
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I raced HITS Ocala last year. I almost did it again this year, but didn't want to race a HIM that early. I might be moving to Scottsdale and cancel out of Miamiman in November, so the Lake Havasu caught my attention. I would race with them again in a heart beat.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HITS has attracted some followers at the sprint and olympic levels, but there can be no doubt that at the FULL 140.6 distance, the series is a spectacular failure. Getting a podium spot or even winning a HITS full means nothing. With so few entrants, I'm surprised these folks just don't save their money and do the distance completely on their own...really not much difference than what it is now...minimal support for an essentially solo effort.

That said, I've read lots of positive comments about Mark Wilson in other forums over the past 2 years. He is trying. So as long as the horse owners are willing to subsidize this series, then I think it's a good thing for all of us that the option is there. However, they apparently misjudged the growth curve of the sport and it won't surprise me at some point if they pull the plug.
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi GMAN...Thank you for asking! FYI, I plan on another 17 years as the RD for HITS Endurance (we're in our 3rd year now); so, fasten your seat belts, Everyone, and enjoy the ride. It's about endurance...remember?!

Mark H. Wilson
Wilson Endurance Sports, LLC
Office: 914-466-9214
http://www.CoachMarkWilson.com
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [scofflaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dont really foresee an easy or fast course for the Marble Falls area HOWEVER, I believe they may can capitalize on the niche of superior challenge. Ive done BSLT and have heard many times over of the difficulty of BSLT......after Saturday...BSLT has NOTHING on the challenge of this last MF70.3 by HITS.

Maybe even give it an intimidating title like "The Hills have Tris" and advertise along the lines of ...I dare you to come try this course. Who needs pros anyways.

"WHEW...I really regret that workout!"..............Noone
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Getting a podium spot or even winning a HITS full means nothing.".......tell that to the people that did win or podium. Im happy for them....they kicked ass, and in a relative way...they are true champions. Theres a niche for the ones who dont live and breath triathlon, who are simply searching for a healthy lifestyle, and still want a bit of competitiveness to go along with it and be a positive example for society. Its not all a dick measuring contest of THE BEST races with THE BEST racers.

Also tell that to the badass volunteers and Mark, whom all busted their asses so the racers could enjoy their sufferfest. The volunteers literally kept me going....they were working to keep us motivated and did a fantastic job. My day started piss poor with a mechanical failure early in the morning and I was late for the swim...wanted to throw in the towel....they quickly got my bike in to the onsite mechanic and kept my head in the game....then at T2 made a comment on how much time I had made up after my mechanical. Aid stations were literally wiping me down with sponges and pleasantly conversing with me while I hydrated. They WORKED hard.

Sorry...but that comment you made was just very shallow and insensitive. If it means nothing to you...dont mention it.

"WHEW...I really regret that workout!"..............Noone
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [COJO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
COJO wrote:
I dont really foresee an easy or fast course for the Marble Falls area HOWEVER, I believe they may can capitalize on the niche of superior challenge. Ive done BSLT and have heard many times over of the difficulty of BSLT......after Saturday...BSLT has NOTHING on the challenge of this last MF70.3 by HITS.

Maybe even give it an intimidating title like "The Hills have Tris" and advertise along the lines of ...I dare you to come try this course. Who needs pros anyways.

As someone who did the half on Saturday as a tuneup for BSLT, I like hearing that!

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [MarkWilson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MarkWilson wrote:
Hi GMAN...Thank you for asking! FYI, I plan on another 17 years as the RD for HITS Endurance (we're in our 3rd year now); so, fasten your seat belts, Everyone, and enjoy the ride. It's about endurance...remember?!

I like your attitude at least.

While you're on the line... what's your rational for scheduling next year's Marble Falls race the same weekend/day as the Texas 70.3 in Galveston? Business decisions like that aren't going to keep you in business for another 17 years. I don't mean that to sound harsh but that's a mind boggling decision to me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you!

Mark H. Wilson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We didn't schedule it on the same weekend as Galveston; they moved their date to ours. As I've mentioned to others who were concerned about this, there are plenty of Texas triathletes that like HITS; we'll do just fine. Train well!

Mark H. Wilson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
COJO wrote:

Or like "the world's toughest half" in Auburn CA.

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did the Grand Junction half last year and doing it again this year. Great value for the money. Nice to do a half at this point in the season to warm up for a full later in the year. Ditto on the Race Director. I hope they are around for a very long time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
COJO wrote:
"Getting a podium spot or even winning a HITS full means nothing.".......tell that to the people that did win or podium. Im happy for them....they kicked ass, and in a relative way...they are true champions. Theres a niche for the ones who dont live and breath triathlon, who are simply searching for a healthy lifestyle, and still want a bit of competitiveness to go along with it and be a positive example for society. Its not all a dick measuring contest of THE BEST races with THE BEST racers.

Also tell that to the badass volunteers and Mark, whom all busted their asses so the racers could enjoy their sufferfest. The volunteers literally kept me going....they were working to keep us motivated and did a fantastic job. My day started piss poor with a mechanical failure early in the morning and I was late for the swim...wanted to throw in the towel....they quickly got my bike in to the onsite mechanic and kept my head in the game....then at T2 made a comment on how much time I had made up after my mechanical. Aid stations were literally wiping me down with sponges and pleasantly conversing with me while I hydrated. They WORKED hard.

Sorry...but that comment you made was just very shallow and insensitive. If it means nothing to you...dont mention it.

Well yes, I would tell someone in a factual, non-emotional sense that winning their age group in a HITS Full doesn't mean anything when there isn't any competition to speak of. And I would tell that to the volunteers and to Mark. However, you've twisted my comment which applies only to the Full Distance. I didn't say anything negative about Mark, the volunteers, or the overall race climate. You are part of the HITS following that I mentioned and the series is doing something right to generate that reaction. It just doesn't seem to be enough though because the series is not really growing even with the pricing structure they had last year. Anyway, go back and re-read my post. How you twisted my comment about the complete absence of a competitive field over the HITS 1406. distances - ONLY - into an attack on volunteers is beyond my understanding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They do a nice job with their events, I like those guys. My thought is the run course is boring and hot. Maybe if they run it through the wine country it would be more attractive? That course is tough btw. MF is cute, but also not a destination city.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
16?? that's a group ride not a race.... Who wants to "race" 15 others??

GMAN19030 wrote:
Marble Falls over the weekend.

2014:
Sprint 108
Oly 137
Half 160
Full 16

2013:
Sprint 181
Oly 204
Half 223
Full 35

Looks like Napa Valley pulled similar numbers as 2013. Naples as well. Ocala short course numbers were similar to 2013, long course numbers down significantly.

This is year 3 for HITS and they certainly haven't grown and the four races this year have shown a down trend from the prior year.

If I were them I'd completely give up on the long course races and concentrate on the short stuff but even then I'm not sure there's money to be made on the short course racing for a national level company.

Team Every Man Jack

http://www.teamemj.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
MarkWilson wrote:

While you're on the line... what's your rational for scheduling next year's Marble Falls race the same weekend/day as the Texas 70.3 in Galveston? Business decisions like that aren't going to keep you in business for another 17 years. I don't mean that to sound harsh but that's a mind boggling decision to me.

I wonder why 70.3 Galveston wasn't moved to March 29th, because the early season date and mild weather are two attractive aspects Galveston had. By moving a month later, key distinctions are lost.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DamonHenry wrote:
GMAN19030 wrote:
MarkWilson wrote:

I wonder why 70.3 Galveston wasn't moved to March 29th, because the early season date and mild weather are two attractive aspects Galveston had. By moving a month later, key distinctions are lost.

My guess is a scheduling conflict with Moody Gardens. Probably also why it wasn't the 12th or 19th. I'm sure they would have much preferred that the 70.3 not take place three weeks before IMTX but Easter falling on the 5th screwed them. I'm sure they will lose some business from the IMTX crowd who won't want to do a 70.3 twenty days earlier.

Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done HITS Napa and was quite happy with my overall experience. I was planning on doing it this year but unfortunately I was unable to. To your point of a podium not meaning anything at a HITS race. Relatively speaking, a podium finish in any race doesn't mean anything. Ironman, Rev3, Challenge, HITS, etc. Is a 4:30 different when you beat 12 people instead of 100? All things equal, is a 4:45 better if you beat 100 people than a 4:30 if you beat 3? I don't get it, most of us are just AG racing. If getting our Elite Card is what we're after, we wouldn't be racing HITS to begin with.
Quote Reply
Re: How much longer is HITS going to be able to survive? [MarkWilson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MarkWilson wrote:
We didn't schedule it on the same weekend as Galveston; they moved their date to ours. As I've mentioned to others who were concerned about this, there are plenty of Texas triathletes that like HITS; we'll do just fine. Train well!

Mark, fair enough that WTC moved the Galveston date. That stated, they announced their 2015 date before you did.

I'm inquisitive by nature so what's your reaction when you saw that Galveston moved to the same weekend? You have to know that's going to have a huge effect on your race. For example, if you're a struggling coffee shop (not yet established, not yet successful) and Starbucks moves in next store... you move to a new location because odds are Starbucks is going to cream you (pun intended) and put you out of business.

Quote Reply

Prev Next