Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How fast can Lance swim?? [Fastyellow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know what they are saying, and what I'm saying it that it is bullshit. A 4;20 for Lance is not easy, especially when you factor in a tough 2 1/2 mile swim first.. ANd 2;30 in Hawaii would not be easy for Geb either. If he were even able to make the cutoff times of the swim and bike, it would be work for him.. Look at what the Kenyan runner did at Silverman, and he only had to do a relay run. Starting in the middle of the day, in the heat of the day, and having no one to pace off, is not as easy as folks seem to think. This guy was a 2;11 marathoner, and he went about 2;40 there on his own, and screwing his pacing..I commented at the time after the fact, that this guy probably runs 6 flat pace for his 2 hour+ runs, but he could not manage even workout pace in that unfamiliar venue..I think people hav sited examples of very good runners doing hawaii, and not coming even close to their PR times, different animal. To put it in perspective, Geb would have to run within 25 minutes of his PR for a 2;30, a time gap we have discovered is reserved for the best trained athletes who pace well. I do not think that would be him...

Granted that Lance will not be as taxed as a Geb would be if he had to do 6 hours of work in the heat prior to starting your marathon, but it will not be nothing to him. Everyone pays some price for what they do in Hawaii prior to the run, just a matter of how much?
Quote Reply
Re: How fast can Lance swim?? [Fastyellow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"There are 1000's of stories of people that leave their runs on the bike course, either due to going to hard, or screwing up their nutrition. It happens every year, to pros and AG'ers alike."

i did, i got so focus on hammering the bike even with 50 mph wind, that i forgot to eat.

Lance is very meticulous about is training, he also has money to buy the best coaches, but i am not sure he can time trial 112 miles, and then run a sub 3 marathon.

and yes the heat is against him, but i do understand that he is a excellent swimmer, but he is 39 also.

i think it will be fun to watch,
Quote Reply
Re: How fast can Lance swim?? [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Nick, Colin Dignum's 1997 IMC "record" run split is a bit of a joke in the sense that a 5:36 bike split in the context of a pro is not really even a pro bike split....it's more like "well, you may has well have just shown up to run the marathon fresh"

Here are the splits from sportstats

15 Colin G Dignum West Vancouv CAN 25 09:15:52 Pro Men 13/36 30 248 1:00:49 1:37 29 229 5:36:17 20.0 1 1 2:38:47 6:04
Quote Reply
Re: How fast can Lance swim?? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I know what they are saying, and what I'm saying it that it is bullshit. A 4;20 for Lance is not easy, especially when you factor in a tough 2 1/2 mile swim first.. ANd 2;30 in Hawaii would not be easy for Geb either. If he were even able to make the cutoff times of the swim and bike, it would be work for him.. Look at what the Kenyan runner did at Silverman, and he only had to do a relay run. Starting in the middle of the day, in the heat of the day, and having no one to pace off, is not as easy as folks seem to think. This guy was a 2;11 marathoner, and he went about 2;40 there on his own, and screwing his pacing..I commented at the time after the fact, that this guy probably runs 6 flat pace for his 2 hour+ runs, but he could not manage even workout pace in that unfamiliar venue..I think people hav sited examples of very good runners doing hawaii, and not coming even close to their PR times, different animal. To put it in perspective, Geb would have to run within 25 minutes of his PR for a 2;30, a time gap we have discovered is reserved for the best trained athletes who pace well. I do not think that would be him...

Granted that Lance will not be as taxed as a Geb would be if he had to do 6 hours of work in the heat prior to starting your marathon, but it will not be nothing to him. Everyone pays some price for what they do in Hawaii prior to the run, just a matter of how much?

25 minutes off a 2:11 is WAYYY different than 25 minutes off a 2:46, so it's not a valid comparison ---- it's actually 19% vs. 15% variation frpm open marathon. Understandably, some of the above mentioned runners were closer to 2:25, but for an elite marathoner an 18-20 minute gap is probably more realistic.

I have nothing to add about LA ...

You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you're having a good day. ~Daniel Behrman
Quote Reply
Re: How fast can Lance swim?? [thierry64] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lance is a 19 months older than Macca...and he seemed to do pretty well recently.

They're both doing Puerto Rico 70.3 in March (rumored).

I wont doubt a man that kicked cancer's ass, won 7 consecutive TdF's and has had many kids after ball cancer. Of course schizophrenia seems to be pretty likely in his world nowadays with his pelota alter ego.
Quote Reply
Re: How fast can Lance swim?? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hey Nick, Colin Dignum's 1997 IMC "record" run split is a bit of a joke in the sense that a 5:36 bike split in the context of a pro is not really even a pro bike split....it's more like "well, you may has well have just shown up to run the marathon fresh"

Here are the splits from sportstats

15 Colin G Dignum West Vancouv CAN 25 09:15:52 Pro Men 13/36 30 248 1:00:49 1:37 29 229 5:36:17 20.0 1 1 2:38:47 6:04

He did that on purpose because he wanted to break the record for the fastest Ironman Marathon.Pretty much the only reason that he raced Ironman that year.When he passed me just before the run turn I thought he must be on a team.Running shorts,hairly legs and the bugger took 50 mins out of me in around 14 miles. Poor guy was so trashed that he fell over twice in the finish chute with less than 50meters to go.

Last edited by: Ultra-tri-guy: Nov 9, 10 20:00
Quote Reply
Re: How fast can Lance swim?? [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everybody is assuming that a couple marathons he ran, just for sh#t and giggles, while partying and weighing about 184 is as fast as hem can run!

He was able to run sub 15 for a 5k at 16, but you will say that was years ago. That's right, he has only been the greatest endurance athlete on earth during this running " layoff".

All of you think that the 3 hour barrier is this magic # at Kona. There are 3 amateurs on the Timex team with full-time jobs that run under 3:05 year after year.

This forum is full of lance haters, but give the guy a little credit for his athletic ability, especially since an early age, he has constantly backed up everything that has been said about him.

The scariest thing is, he is excited and enjoying the Tri training! That will be the biggest wildcard.
Quote Reply
Re: How fast can Lance swim?? [screamin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sub 15 for a 5k? Where? Also, I think there are a few more endurance athletes that could have fought for the title as "World's Greatest" Haile Gebrselassie being among them. BTW I'm a huge Lance Armstrong fan, but I don't think he's going to do as well as people think. He's not 16 anymore and he's not the athlete he was 10 yrs ago.

Chris
Quote Reply
Re: How fast can Lance swim?? [crwnikeboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Take a look at Dave Scott.. after a 5 yr break he came back..
The same Dave Scott Lance beat a few times in his short tri career.

After retiring in 1989, Dave Scott came out of 'retirement' in 1994 at age 40 to take second place at the Hawaii Ironman World Championships
Quote Reply
Re: How fast can Lance swim?? [jbsurfin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where? Come over and I will show you the scrapbook with news paper clippings. I will try to find the time to scan some. On 3 mile cross country courses he regualry broke 15 min. in high school.

Do I hope he wins, sure, it would be great. Do i think he will win, no, but he will be super competitive and do much better than most people think.

Just look at history. Like the poster above said, Larsen had every PRO shaking in his boots until mile 17, and lance actually has a tri/running/swimming background, AND is a better cyclist.

This getting beat by women and amateurs is nonsense if, and that is an IF he takes this serious.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You do realize that if Lance broke 15 minutes for a 5k at age 16 he would've probably been the fastest 16 yr old in the country. I'm not buying it. He just wasn't that fast. Now if you say he broke 16 minutes I'd buy that. 15? No way.

Chris
Quote Reply
Re: How fast can Lance swim?? [jbsurfin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Take a look at Dave Scott.. after a 5 yr break he came back..
The same Dave Scott Lance beat a few times in his short tri career. \\

Hate to break it to you, but a lot of people beat Dave Scott in short races, myself included. It means nothing when it comes to Hawaii. Just to put it in perspective, only 3 people ever beat Dave in Hawaii if you count his masters race that you mentioned, Mark Allen, Greg Welch, and Scott Tinley.

If you push that out to the last time he raced hawaii at age 42, you can include a few more hackers who beat him, Luc Van Lierde, Thomas Hellriegel, and Peter Reid. By the way, the fastest year ever at Hawaii that year..

We are talking about Hawaii here, a completely different animal from most other long races, and certainly different from some 1 hour race Lance did when he was 17...
Quote Reply
Re: How fast can Lance swim?? [btmoney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
in maccas eyes lance is racing chrissie not him ;-)

In Reply To:
Lance is a 19 months older than Macca...and he seemed to do pretty well recently.

I wont doubt a man that kicked cancer's ass, won 7 consecutive TdF's and has had many kids after ball cancer. Of course schizophrenia seems to be pretty likely in his world nowadays with his pelota alter ego.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a Lance fan. At all. But I think the Larsen comparison is a good one. Steve was super competitive at Kona, and he wasn't nearly the athlete Lance is.

I don't think he wins, but I wouldn't call it a ridiculous possibility. Top 10 is well within his reach.

And if he comes close, expect to see him return a few times. Look at how he responded to the loss at Leadville. The dude is somewhat sociopathic in his competitiveness.
Quote Reply
Re: How fast can Lance swim?? [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
in maccas eyes lance is racing chrissie not him ;-)

In Reply To:

I'm gonna see Macca on Sunday and get his take......

-------------------------------
I'm faster in Kilometers!
Wattie Ink Triathlon Team