Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Holy drafting Batman IMFL
Quote | Reply
Wow, so that's what it's like to ride in an ITU race for 112 miles. I just finished IMFL, I was feeling good till about 40k when the Panama Express decided to suck me up. Yea not fun, why the F do people do that? At that point I had no choice but to ride with them or kill my bike split. I tried to keep everything as legal as I could but everytime a marshall showed up everyone hit the brakes. Jimmy R gave me a 4 minute penalty for drafting. I honestly felt terrible about it, I was really trying my best not to. There were also 3 really bad wrecks in the pack. One included Jessica Jacobs, I think she's ok I saw her later on the run. Seriously though, that really ruined my whole bike split and my day. I wasn't able to stick to my pacing plan on the bike and I think it's screwed my run. I think I would have gone a lot faster without them. One little hill (and there's not many) and these guys would die, I would break, and they would catch up to me in the pack and we'd be right back at and they could pedal the bike but had no clue how to ride in a pack. There were a few TDF 2002 LA through the field moments. Anyways, just wanted to rant because I signed up for an Ironman with the dream of getting a Kona slot or at least trying the old fashion way but other people had a different plan I guess. Welcome to Florida, even the pro men were shaking their head's at all the drafting on the out and back.
Quote Reply
Re: Holy drafting Batman IMFL [AlexG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess having the easiest, flattest course (by a long shot) in the circuit just isn't enough for some people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a shame. Hard to race your own race when you're constantly trying to stay back. Next time, swim faster!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there was drafting at an ironman?? In Florida?? no way!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm shocked...we all are! Drafting at IMFL wowsers! (Guess that's why some of us don't do that race...)

Founder of THE TRIATHLON COLLECTIVE (Closed Facebook Group). A SBR discussion group without the white noise/trolling!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ever considered The Great Floridian?

Infinitely more difficult bike course, less money and in a great area with little to no traffic. There are rolling hills all day and you can drop the wheel suckers on Sugarloaf while they vomit on their shoes. I did it in '92 and it was a seriously hot day. Bradford Rex went something like 9:30.....maybe a bit faster. I bet I saw 5 cars all day on the bike. Last time I raced in Panama City was that same year at Gulf Coast(Roast) and I swore I would never risk my life with that traffic again heading out of town....scariest ride I have ever been on.

If I ever get enough time to train for an IM again I will go back to Clermont.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is why I will not do IMFL again. Did it in 1999 and it reminded me of a group ride. What a joke that was. Don't even get me started about the marshalls not handing out penalties.

If you want to do a IM that has NO DRAFTING on the bike; then do the Great Floridian in Clermont, FL. I guarantee the wind and hills will deter the drafters.

Rex
Quote Reply
Re: Holy drafting Batman IMFL [draketriathlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
there was drafting at an ironman?? In Florida?? no way!
I too am shocked.

-------------------------------
Ignorance is bliss until they take your bliss away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Almost 200 penalties were handed out on the bike course, 21 DQ's for no show in penalty tent.

Jimmy just left the timing tent :)

I did the race in 2001 and its much harder not to draft with the large packs coming by but that is normal I guess for a flat course and 2400 athletes.

Marc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
why the F do people do that? At that point I had no choice but to ride with them

Ride Scoozy Electric Bicycles
http://www.RideScoozy.com
Quote Reply
Re: Holy drafting Batman IMFL [msuguy512] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NICE msu!

He answered his own question without knowing it!

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really sorry to hear, but this is why we need wave starts in an Ironman. At least it will spread things out a bit. Put 1500 people on the road in 15 minutes between 60 and 75 minutes and what else can we expect. That's almost 2 people per second starting the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you honestly think that you could get a Kona slot without drafting? I think a lot of people say that, but deep inside they know going in that "I had to cheat because everyone else was" will be their excuse.

Why did you expect your experience to be any different than the people from previous years who posted essentially the exact same story? Wait until after Clearwater, there will again be a gaggle of "I was shocked to see everyone blatantly cheating, but I had no choice but to join them?" posts.

IMFL drafting returns 15 pages of hits.

And especially this one:

Can we go ahead and start the IMFL drafting thread?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AlexG:

Please cut some slack for everyone's responses. I can see you've only been around here since Dec '07, and Dan's article came up a month before that. Plus, this looks like only your second IM, the other being a time trial start this year at Louisville? Not a fair comparision.

Welcome to the world of IM Florida, with a long reputation of being one of the the worst peleton (il)legal races out there. As others have noted, this comes up every year; what was an awakening for you was just another "ho-hum, here we go again" by the more-seasoned veterans here. Until something changes, if you want to qualify for Kona based on your own efforts, I'd recommend you try one of the other qualifiers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
here we go again and again and again and again.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also finished IMFL. I did not draft, and do not encourage it, but I do believe WTC is not helping the situation either. With 2400+ competitors, it doesn't really help. Dropping the total competitors would definitely help a little bit. That being said, getting passed by 6 different peletons and watching a bunch of fatties passing me during the bike was not cool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best thing to do is stay bout 3 bike lengths in back of the pack. Last year in Clearwater I went by so many people (at a legimately faster speed too), only to find that they passed me together in a group. I tried passing the group a few times, and this made my hr pop up 15 more beats (first race using HRM - valuable info), only for them to draft off me and eventually pass. Honestly, when that crap happens, stay the legal bike length (3 bike lengths) behind the group and you will still get some draft from those cheaters. If you try in pass them they will engulf you and make it look like you are cheating. You could always bring a six shooter and tell people not to cheat, but make sure you have enough money to make bail.

Running is the best source of fiber that I know of...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the perfect solution, at least at the pointy end of the pack. One drafting penalty gets you the standard 4 minutes. Second penalty means no Hawaii slot.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Holy drafting Batman IMFL [TriChris14] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe the weapon of choice for Clearwater is a nice old fashioned frame pump taped to the top tube that I can quickly remove and stick into the spokes of the second guy of a passing peleton? That should take another 10 riders out from the sound of things. Might be the best approach if Jimmy's boys won't/can't enforce a clean event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is why 2006 was my last time for IMF. I saw two guys in my age group pass me in a pack. Passed one during the run but never saw the other guy until the awards ceremony. I got 5th and he was ahead of me on the podium.

18x Ironman, 3x Hawaii
US Army (Ret.), Vietnam Vet ('71-'72)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best thing to do is stay bout 3 bike lengths in back of the pack
In Reply To:

Genius! Brilliant! (No pink font, seriously)

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Holy drafting Batman IMFL [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so what you are all saying is that I should take my road bike to IMFL rather than my tri bike???? correct me if im wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Holy drafting Batman IMFL [IRONwolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sometimes I wonder if they should just make IM's draft legal; the honest non cheaters are getting screwed, and the cheaters are getting pr's or kona slots.

Of course making it draft legal would make it too favored for the run. I'm not a fan of it, drafting is just a non enforceable rule and there's no real solution.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the trick is learning how to move up through the middle of the pack, that way you don't endanger yourself of going outside your aerobic zone

Ride Scoozy Electric Bicycles
http://www.RideScoozy.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next