Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Here you go - Chest/Belly Bottle Aero Test Results
Quote | Reply
Nine athletes tested - 5 men and 4 women. 28oz bottle and a 1.5 liter regular Crystal Geyser water bottle from the grocery store. Link to the YouTube video is down in my signature, but here are the results:

Note: Weights are combined athlete and all equipment. Watts are based on race pace for each individual athlete.

Tony - 180cm, 83.1 kg
  • 28oz Bottle (high on chest) = 2.31% drop in drag / 6 watts
  • 28oz bottle (low on belly) = .46% drop in drag / 1.2 watts
  • 1.5 Liter bottle = 6.02% drop in drag / 15.6 watts
  • 3 liter Camelbak bladder only = 4.17% drop in drag / 10.8 watts
  • Camelbak bladder + 28oz bottle stacked (see video) = 8.8% drop in drag / 22.9 watts
Meagan - 172cm, 74 kg
  • 28oz bottle = 2.31% drop in drag / 3.9 watts
  • 1.5 liter bottle = 5.56% drop in drag / 9.4 watts
Kristi - 167cm, 69.7kg
  • 28oz bottle = 3.19% / 5.7 watts
  • 1.5 liter bottle = 1.59% / 2.9 watts
Adam - 170cm, 86.2kg
  • 28oz bottle = 4.7% / 11.8 watts
  • 1.5 liter bottle = 8.55 / 21.4
You can erohighperformance.com to see the rest of the data (click on Aero Data in the main menu) as I'm too lazy to post it all, but the results are similar.

Obviously interesting results. Keeping the bottles high on the chest is key even though it may pull down the neck line. Unless it's a low neck line, in which case it'll kill you, which is covered in the video when we tested an athlete who came after our testing for this was complete. I questioned the results, but they were consistent and gel with what others are finding around the world. In fact, I've been jokingly asked to stop giving away secrets.

Keep in mind this is real world testing using an AeroLab sensor. We're measuring the differences as they're happening. For instance, Adam was going ~ 1km faster for the same power output and wind conditions with his drag savings. Impressive.

Other notes: The 28 oz bottle was empty, and the 1.5 liter bottle was about 1/3 way full (or 2/3 the way empty depending on your demeanor). All athletes tested at their race pace wattage.

Aero socks and calf sleeves are next. I wouldn't expect the same consistency in the results from that testing, but we may have found an interesting correlation for those who see a drag savings and those who don't. Oh, and we have a newly released aero shoe we're testing next week! Stay tuned.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Last edited by: Jim@EROsports: Jun 1, 23 11:30
Quote Reply
Re: Here you go - Chest/Belly Bottle Aero Test Results [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Here you go - Chest/Belly Bottle Aero Test Results [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent stuff Jim. Thanks for your contributions as always.

My wife and I went somewhat down this rabbit hole a few years ago. Post pregnancy, the added space up top dropped her CdA, which got me into testing different ways of adding things up top to shape the air and fill in some space on myself. It was quite effective for me in the end too. I ended up with implants. In all seriousness, I never tried stacking anything on top of the Camelbak so that will be interesting to test again.
Quote Reply
Re: Here you go - Chest/Belly Bottle Aero Test Results [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
Your URL is broken.

Thanks. I can't seem to get it to work so I just posted the main website address and when you click on Aero Data in the main menu it should take you there. That part of the site is still under construction, so I'm sure I have some setting wrong somewhere.

Anyone know how to post a YouTube link? I can't seem to get that to work either.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Here you go - Chest/Belly Bottle Aero Test Results [likes_bikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
likes_bikes wrote:
Excellent stuff Jim. Thanks for your contributions as always.

My wife and I went somewhat down this rabbit hole a few years ago. Post pregnancy, the added space up top dropped her CdA, which got me into testing different ways of adding things up top to shape the air and fill in some space on myself. It was quite effective for me in the end too. I ended up with implants. In all seriousness, I never tried stacking anything on top of the Camelbak so that will be interesting to test again.

So many rabbit holes to go down, so little time to explore them all.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
cloy wrote:
Your URL is broken.

Thanks. I can't seem to get it to work so I just posted the main website address and when you click on Aero Data in the main menu it should take you there. That part of the site is still under construction, so I'm sure I have some setting wrong somewhere.

Anyone know how to post a YouTube link? I can't seem to get that to work either.

I believe you need to specify your site cookie choices using the option boxes at the bottom of your screen before you can post YT links.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy shit that’s a lot. I guess we can now consider this bottle thingie officially adopted by triathletes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
21 watts for a rider in the slightly upright position for a 1.5L bottle!!!!

That's literally insane. I'm def one of those more-upright riders that still manages to go fast (for me, at least) in that slightly more upright position where the bottle tested better. I'm gonna have to get one of these and test it myself....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Intersting results given the huge drag chutes the bottles are making with the gap/opening beating created at the neck line...
Quote Reply
Re: Here you go - Chest/Belly Bottle Aero Test Results [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:

That's literally insane. I'm def one of those more-upright riders that still manages to go fast (for me, at least) in that slightly more upright position where the bottle tested better. I'm gonna have to get one of these and test it myself....

Yeah, if someone told me ahead of time we'd see those kind of results, I would've laughed. In fact, there's a gentleman on this forum who posted a 12 watt gain, and I almost pushed back thinking there's no way. I've since learned of nearly identical results from others who've tested and have been seen using similar bottles in races. I've received a few messages today from those same people who now want to try larger bottles. LOL. We did want to try a 2 liter bottle for fun, but never got around to it.

Once you really look at it, it makes sense that 1.there'd be a decent drop in drag, and 2. that a more upright position could be better for this sort of thing. In the end, it's the shape of the kit that's created which is directing air around the chest instead of into it. For fun, we'll test it on a road position in the next few weeks.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Here you go - Chest/Belly Bottle Aero Test Results [lastlap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lastlap wrote:
Intersting results given the huge drag chutes the bottles are making with the gap/opening beating created at the neck line...

Yeah, I thought so too, but when you take a good look, the athlete's chins are blocking that air, so it never really gets directed into that location anyway. Outside of our testing, I had an athlete test very poorly with bottles, the first to test poorly actually, and it was because the neckline of his kit was very low, and the bottles did open it up too much causing him to be scooping air.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Surely someone will soon release a wedge shaped bottle specifically made for stuffing into jerseys.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've seen the video. Now it's the time to delete it and stay quiet.
Quote Reply
Re: Here you go - Chest/Belly Bottle Aero Test Results [Michal_CH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really don’t want to start stuffing bottles down my trisuit. I hope these are banned by the rules to keep things simple.
Quote Reply
Re: Here you go - Chest/Belly Bottle Aero Test Results [khanlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
khanlon wrote:
I really don’t want to start stuffing bottles down my trisuit. I hope these are banned by the rules to keep things simple.

I agree! I was hoping that it was a negligible gain, so that I wouldn't feel pressured to look silly while on the bike. But 5-24w is too much to pass up on, so I guess I'm stuck doing it until they change the rules!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
lightheir wrote:

Yeah, if someone told me ahead of time we'd see those kind of results, I would've laughed. In fact, there's a gentleman on this forum who posted a 12 watt gain, and I almost pushed back thinking there's no way. I've since learned of nearly identical results from others who've tested and have been seen using similar bottles in races. I've received a few messages today from those same people who now want to try larger bottles. LOL. We did want to try a 2 liter bottle for fun, but never got around to it.

Once you really look at it, it makes sense that 1.there'd be a decent drop in drag, and 2. that a more upright position could be better for this sort of thing. In the end, it's the shape of the kit that's created which is directing air around the chest instead of into it. For fun, we'll test it on a road position in the next few weeks.

Rabbit hole?

How about the infinite testing now if changing position to more our right WITH 1.5 or even 2 liter bottle increases watt output as well as ERO gains

I’m sure you are way ahead of me in thinking this
Quote Reply
Re: Here you go - Chest/Belly Bottle Aero Test Results [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
Jim@EROsports wrote:
lightheir wrote:

Rabbit hole?

How about the infinite testing now if changing position to more our right WITH 1.5 or even 2 liter bottle increases watt output as well as ERO gains

I’m sure you are way ahead of me in thinking this

Yeah, I'm losing hair as I type just thinking about it.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After Kona I decided that if I ever did that race again I would start with a frozen bottle or bladder in my shirt just for cooling purposes. But these test results make me want to do it for everything. I have a sprint race this weekend, not sure If I'll try it there or wait until Boulder 70.3 the next week.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:

Other notes: The 28 oz bottle was empty, and the 1.5 liter bottle was about 1/3 way full (or 2/3 the way empty depending on your demeanor). All athletes tested at their race pace wattage.

Why was there water in the big bottle? Why no fully empty?
Quote Reply
Re: Here you go - Chest/Belly Bottle Aero Test Results [khanlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
khanlon wrote:

+1

People stuffing 90% empty bottles down their suits (that they are not going to drink from) for the aero gains are basically just using fairings. It's already getting ridiculous, with Joe Skipper putting the kitchen sink down his suit.

Again, many thanks to Jim for doing the testing and video to keep us all in the know.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Here you go - Chest/Belly Bottle Aero Test Results [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
After Kona I decided that if I ever did that race again I would start with a frozen bottle or bladder in my shirt just for cooling purposes. But these test results make me want to do it for everything. I have a sprint race this weekend, not sure If I'll try it there or wait until Boulder 70.3 the next week.

How about warm liquid in there to help with core temps at a cool race with a cold swim? The liquid would eventually cool from the wind, but it might help for those first few miles before you get warmed up!

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Here you go - Chest/Belly Bottle Aero Test Results [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mgreer wrote:
Jim@EROsports wrote:

Why was there water in the big bottle? Why no fully empty?

Honestly, because I couldn’t drink it all the first morning of testing. Lol. Then, once we started with it in there, I figured we should keep it consistent. No other thought put into it.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Here you go - Chest/Belly Bottle Aero Test Results [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You wouldn’t believe how many emails I’m getting from people buying water bottles for Honu this weekend. I really should’ve reached out to Crystal Geyser for a sponsorship, I guess. Live and learn.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Here you go - Chest/Belly Bottle Aero Test Results [jacob2727] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jacob2727 wrote:
khanlon wrote:

I agree! I was hoping that it was a negligible gain, so that I wouldn't feel pressured to look silly while on the bike. But 5-24w is too much to pass up on, so I guess I'm stuck doing it until they change the rules!

Same here. Way too much to pass up!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
khanlon wrote:
IM Rules (current)
4.02 (g) The most external part of the wetsuit will fit to the athlete’s body tightly while they are swimming; (DSQ)
5.01 (h) Cycling with a bare torso is prohibited. Athletes must wear a shirt, jersey, or sport-top/sports bra at all times during the cycling segment of the Race; (30 or 60 Second Time Penalty (as applicable), DSQ if not remedied promptly)
Drawing on those for inspiration/format:

Draft revision
h) During the cycling segment of the Race, Athletes must wear a shirt, jersey, or sport-top/sports bra at all times: cycling with a bare torso is prohibited. The inside of the top shall be no more than 10mm away from the body; (30 or 60 Second Time Penalty (as applicable), DSQ if not remedied promptly)

This would prohibit the temporary use of a top for carrying a bottle: which is a limitation worth accepting.
This stuff down the front is just ugly and I can envisage women (sensibly) will be deterred from doing this on aesthetic grounds. It does nothing to enhance triathlon's image, and risks reinforcing some 'nutter' stereotypes.
Is there a UCI rule which stops cyclists (competing under UCI rules) doing this?
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Jun 2, 23 1:52
Quote Reply

Prev Next