Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Garmin 955 is screaming at me to take a day off, maybe this is how I dug myself into a hole 2 years ago [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, getting older sucks!

I'd caution on the HRV pieces, that it's something best analyzed with lots of data, longer term. Meaning, if you just picked up the watch (or, at least 19 days ago in your case since you have HRV Status), if some or all of that 19 days was out of the ordinary, your initial baseline is gonna be wonky. HRV status by itself won't be the major factor here telling you to relax, but a contributing one.

For example, I know someone that got COVID two days after they picked the FR955. So basically, their baselining data is all dorked up right now. Fair enough, it'll normalize over time, it's hard for a company to edge case every possible scenario.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 955 is screaming at me to take a day off, maybe this is how I dug myself into a hole 2 years ago [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcrainmaker wrote:

Though, you're HRV-High aspect is actually interesting because that puts you into a slightly different category of folks (more unusual), that spike their HRV values when they get strained.

I thought that was a fairly common pattern ? certainly have seen it in my HRV numbers..

https://simplifaster.com/articles/misconceptions-hrv-training-data/
Quote:
A very common pattern, especially for endurance athletes under high load, is to show unusually high HRV numbers after a big training block. A very low resting heart rate and general tiredness/fatigue generally accompany this.

started tracking HRV because I kept digging myself into training holes and taking weeks to clamber out.. turns out in your 60s recovery doesn't just happen, have to work hard at it, just like everything else ;-)
The Garmin sounds pretty good. I just use HRV4Training app on my phone..
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 955 is screaming at me to take a day off, maybe this is how I dug myself into a hole 2 years ago [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Resurfacing this thread as I have lately been following my watch's recommendations, typically, taking a day off every 8/9 days (when I would normally go several weeks without a rest day).

I'm actually feeling much stronger and less fatigued at this stage of the pre-season and wonder if it's down to adhering to the Garmin recommendations.

Do other Garmin users ignore or follow the day off recommendation and, if so, what have your impressions been of the results?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 955 is screaming at me to take a day off, maybe this is how I dug myself into a hole 2 years ago [kjwcanary] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nearly a year later; I take the recommendations into consideration but I go more by body battery.

When it starts telling me to slow down, I might not do it immediately but if i don't soon I'll be run down pretty quickly.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 955 is screaming at me to take a day off, maybe this is how I dug myself into a hole 2 years ago [Animalmom2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Animalmom2 wrote:
When I get to training peaks -30 form I try and ease up

The watch is not something I pay attention much to

Not sure how their algo works

this has never ever let me down

-30 +/- and it's time to chill

99.99% when I am that high I can't barely sleep so I don't need the watch to tell me what I already know.

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply

Prev Next