Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Garmin 955 is screaming at me to take a day off, maybe this is how I dug myself into a hole 2 years ago
Quote | Reply
Training status: Strained
HRV status: Unbalanced High
Training Readiness: Poor (6 out of 100)

Normally I would have gone out for a moderately long/easy ride today. I did hit it pretty hard for the last 2 weeks and I'm no spring chicken.

This does seem to match up with the 2 week on / 1 week easier routine I've had success with in the past.

Going to listen to this thing for a while and see how I do. I don't have any races coming up for a while so I have time.

Anyone else have their watch telling them to ease up?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 955 is screaming at me to take a day off, maybe this is how I dug myself into a hole 2 years ago [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The watch is just telling you what you already know.

Take the day off (eat some BBQ, watch fireworks), otherwise you just get into the downward cycle of doing low quality workouts because you aren't recovered enough to do quality.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 955 is screaming at me to take a day off, maybe this is how I dug myself into a hole 2 years ago [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, that's what I'm thinking too.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 955 is screaming at me to take a day off, maybe this is how I dug myself into a hole 2 years ago [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My watch (945) beeps at the start of most runs, and some rides, telling my training status, sleep the night before, and the what first couple of minutes of the workout are like. I think its on a scale from -10 to +10, although maybe narrower. I think the worst i've gotten is a minus 6 and I definitely dialled it back for that run.

Edit to add:

I just scrolled the Garmin App on my phone and looked at some of the other metrics which rarely look at, and it says my body battery is at 5 out of 100. Do you think if i show my wife that i will get out of helping her in the garden?

AJ

-------------------------------------------------------
IM WC Hawaii 2024
Last edited by: Tri Bread: Jul 4, 22 13:39
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 955 is screaming at me to take a day off, maybe this is how I dug myself into a hole 2 years ago [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since I had gotten my 945(s) I have strived to get the sleep score higher. I didn't realize that I was getting little and poor sleep. I have been doing better since I started tracking it.

It's rare that I get my body battery that low, normally I'll get down into the teens and up to 75+ most nights. Exceptions to that are when I got covid, I got up to the 60's and low into the low teens, and when I've gone to Colorado for snowboarding, I stayed below 40 all of the time. I think making a case for not working in the garden is to show how recovery is needed to do better work in the garden when recovered. :)

The 955 is giving me a status of strained, which I understand since I had a 45 mile mountain bike ride on Saturday followed by a 50 mile spirited road ride yesterday. That one is new to me. I've not used HRV before, this watch does it and is giving me some data that I can see how it relates to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TrainingPeaks has some articles on training and your HRV that seemed well thought out.

AJ

-------------------------------------------------------
IM WC Hawaii 2024
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 955 is screaming at me to take a day off, maybe this is how I dug myself into a hole 2 years ago [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I'll look them up
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I get to training peaks -30 form I try and ease up

The watch is not something I pay attention much to

Not sure how their algo works
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, and yes. My 955 is addictive. I cannot take it off. When it is telling me to back off, it has been giving me good advice. I have never slept with a watch before, but I get anxious when I wake up and realize I forgot to wear it to bed.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 955 is screaming at me to take a day off, maybe this is how I dug myself into a hole 2 years ago [Animalmom2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm at -32 right now
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 955 is screaming at me to take a day off, maybe this is how I dug myself into a hole 2 years ago [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been wearing a watch 24X7 since I got my 935 in 2019
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like taking my watch off at night, or even for naps. Might be because it's a Fenix 6x.

I had a 955 but returned it. Couldn't justify spending 1k on 2 watches (Black Friday purchase and early June).

I'll probably get the 955 again on black Friday... hopefully it will be 50 to 100 off. Hopefully.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had an old Garmin 925 (I think 8 years old) anyway upgraded to the 955 only about 3 weeks ago so it is still “learning” my training history but yesterday I had a training readiness of a 1 out of 100. It was a rest day for me and I had been ramping up my training for the last two weeks and am now tapering for Salem, Oregon this weekend. My sleep is rated poor most nights. Not long enough and little REM, or deep sleep. Hopefully it will get better. So many more metrics than my old watch.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 955 is screaming at me to take a day off, maybe this is how I dug myself into a hole 2 years ago [Decker21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan Plews has done several pieces on training with HRV, interesting reads/listens.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 955 is screaming at me to take a day off, maybe this is how I dug myself into a hole 2 years ago [Decker21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most of the time my sleep is rated as good but only because of the lack of deep sleep. I know that I sleep light but it could be the algorithm as well.

My sleep duration is much better than it used to be, the fireworks from the guy behind me didn't help last night.

Not much has changed from yesterday but the training readiness came up to 41. Looks like it's held down by HRV status.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Most of the time my sleep is rated as good but only because of the lack of deep sleep. I know that I sleep light but it could be the algorithm as well.
Sleep tracking is my one knock of the 955. I wear a Fitbit Inspire 2 along with my Garmin, and the Fitbit seems to be the best all-around at sleep detection. I know all the stages are mostly guesses, but the nut is that the sleep score on Garmin is consistently lower than FB. The way that I feel the next day highly correlates to my FB sleep score, but not so much the Garmin score.

The Garmin does not pick up my awake time almost at all. And it also seems to massively understate my REM sleep. Garmin assigns most of my sleep time to "Light."
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 955 is screaming at me to take a day off, maybe this is how I dug myself into a hole 2 years ago [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would agree with this. I lie in bed and read 30 minutes before sleep. It incorrectly thinks that is sleep because I am still and my RHR is 40.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri Bread wrote:
My watch (945) beeps ... what first couple of minutes of the workout are like. I think its on a scale from -10 to +10,

I've never found this to be overly useful. It's clearly focused on pace or power relative to HR. But if I'm trending towards overtraining then my HR is suppressed and these metrics look better. Conversely if I'm unusually well rested the HR goes up easier and they look worse. Also, for running in particular, it doesn't seem to normalize for hills, so if you are going up to start (common for me), it doesn't recognize that you climbed 300ft the first mile, just that the pace was nearly 10min and your HR was way too high for that . . . RED ALERT.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The mornings I remember the most dreams seems to correlate with high REM sleep readings.

I wear my watch on my left wrist and I can only sleep on my right side so the watch may think I'm more active than I really am and therefore give me lower deep sleep scores. I've tried wearing it on my right but it bothers me and then I can't sleep at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 955 is screaming at me to take a day off, maybe this is how I dug myself into a hole 2 years ago [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
Tri Bread wrote:
My watch (945) beeps ... what first couple of minutes of the workout are like. I think its on a scale from -10 to +10,

I've never found this to be overly useful. It's clearly focused on pace or power relative to HR. But if I'm trending towards overtraining then my HR is suppressed and these metrics look better. Conversely if I'm unusually well rested the HR goes up easier and they look worse. Also, for running in particular, it doesn't seem to normalize for hills, so if you are going up to start (common for me), it doesn't recognize that you climbed 300ft the first mile, just that the pace was nearly 10min and your HR was way too high for that . . . RED ALERT.
Yeah the Garmin performance condition is something you should turn off. It is simply heart rate vs pace within the first few mins of your run. It can give you a false sense of direction. If you start your run down a hill it will say you are in the best condition of your life. If you do a thorough dynamic warm up which causes your heart rate to rise up faster than no warm up then your watch will say you are in poor condition even though you are actually more ready to performn than no warm up.

What is the Performance Condition Feature on My Garmin Fitness Device? | Garmin Customer Support
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Anyone else have their watch telling them to ease up?
Does your body feel like it needs to ease up? I've seen some athletes become slaves to their watches and stress metrics for no good reason. I've seen other athletes learn that a X form score on TrainingPeaks usually leads to a period of fatigue and poor training if they push beyond it. Listen to your body and what you've learned in previous experiences.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 955 is screaming at me to take a day off, maybe this is how I dug myself into a hole 2 years ago [piratetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was planning to take at least one day off or very easy, this would be my third week of my 2/1 cycle and the load for the entire week was going to be reduced.

I have never been a slave to technology, just to training philosophy. I use the technology as indicators, I wanted to know if others were experiencing the same as I was and their opinions of the metrics.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 955 is screaming at me to take a day off, maybe this is how I dug myself into a hole 2 years ago [piratetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
piratetri wrote:
ericlambi wrote:
Tri Bread wrote:

Yeah the Garmin performance condition is something you should turn off. It is simply heart rate vs pace within the first few mins of your run. It can give you a false sense of direction. If you start your run down a hill it will say you are in the best condition of your life. If you do a thorough dynamic warm up which causes your heart rate to rise up faster than no warm up then your watch will say you are in poor condition even though you are actually more ready to performn than no warm up.

What is the Performance Condition Feature on My Garmin Fitness Device? | Garmin Customer Support

Or you can use it as one indicator. I like it. You can’t be wedded to it every day for many reasons, but you can see trends over time…and those + numbers clearly correlate to better fitness in my experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the most part, the FR955 is pretty solid when it comes to the Treadining Readiness aspect (which is new here). Specifically the numerous factors involved means that if it's repeatedly telling you to take a day off, you probably deserve that yelling.

Meaning, Training Readiness is most impacted by Sleep (duration heavily, but also quality), and workout Recovery Time. Factors like HRV, Stress, and recent sleep also play a part, but the big two are last night's sleep and current recovery hours. Now, when you first get a Garmin device you could get a scenario where you are right in a high training block and it hasn't established that being the norm. But even in that case, there's new blocks in place to prevent it from being upset at you for just that alone.

Pretty consistently over the last two months, if Training Readiness is saying I'm low-value, then I deserved it. Inversely, if it's saying go hard, it's usually spot-on.

Though, you're HRV-High aspect is actually interesting because that puts you into a slightly different category of folks (more unusual), that spike their HRV values when they get strained. As others have said, some good articels on that. Garmin accounts for it (which is why it's wanring you), though for others (like me), when it says HRV High, it means I've been too lazy too long (vacation/tons of sleep).

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 955 is screaming at me to take a day off, maybe this is how I dug myself into a hole 2 years ago [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your insights, I've really dug myself into a hole in the past and am trying to avoid it. It seems that around age 49 I haven't been able to recover as well as I did previously.

I've improved sleep and decreased load but still want to train like I did in my mid 40's when I was at my best. I used to be able to hit it hard Tue, Wed, Thu, go easy on Fri ,Mon and go longer on Sat and Sun. I started going easy on Wed then Thu, now I even need to back it down on one of the weekend days.

The HRV thing is not something I have looked at until now. I'm still reading about it. I definitely needed a day off and took two. I feel so much better today and will ease back into training this week. It's an easier/recovery week so I should be caught up by the weekend.
Quote Reply

Prev Next