Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: For a triathlete to an aspiring crit racer: how dangerous is it? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
cloy wrote:
As a preface: I've been doing triathlon for six years. It's been a blast and I still enjoy it (most days). But I just got a new job that has the possibility of taking a lot of time away from my "hobby" of triathlon. Fitting in two workouts a day might be difficult (I haven't started yet). I have a history of head injuries (i.e., at least 8 concussions and one collision induced seizure). So with that said

How dangerous is crit racing?

My girlfriend and I went to the Littleton Twilight Criterium this past weekend and we were both in awe. The atmosphere is way more exciting than the vast majority of triathlons we've done. It's far more like real racing than a triathlon is. But, we witnessed 3 crashes in the P-1-2 race. These guys were traveling over 27mph the entire race.

I think I would be pretty solid in the lower categories; I have a good engine (320 FTP; 4.2 w/kg), but my handling skills are that of a normal triathlete. I'm hesitant at the thought of going down and knocking my head. I couldn't care less about road rash and even broken bones, but my fear is solely due to the possibility of another concussion and it really messing me up long term.

Yeah i wouldn't bother. I wouldn't call it dangerous, but there's a reasonable chance of you taking a stack. I mean you can hang back and avoid the drama if you want, might be you're not as competitive, but at least you race?

I've only done a few and only found it got fruity the last 800m of the last lap.

Yeah forgot about that, if you’re not in a position to sprint for something that matters, just sit up. That will probably lower your risk a good bit.
Quote Reply
Re: For a triathlete to an aspiring crit racer: how dangerous is it? [ChasingPB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChasingPB wrote:
If you want all the fun of crit racing with significantly less severe crash risk, cyclocross.

Fun is subjective but for me there is no way CX is as much fun as a crit. A crit is tactical and fast with tight shoulder to shoulder corners. CX is more timed suffering.
Quote Reply
Re: For a triathlete to an aspiring crit racer: how dangerous is it? [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
ChasingPB wrote:
If you want all the fun of crit racing with significantly less severe crash risk, cyclocross.

Fun is subjective but for me there is no way CX is as much fun as a crit. A crit is tactical and fast with tight shoulder to shoulder corners. CX is more timed suffering.

It's the tight shoulder to shoulder corners that often crash dudes (and dudettes) out.

To the OP - CX falls are typically low speed, and very often onto soft ground - washing out on off-camber grass and/or mud is probably the most common way to eat it, and they're not even all that common.

Just don't be like Joey, and you'll be fine.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply

Prev Next