Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
For a triathlete to an aspiring crit racer: how dangerous is it?
Quote | Reply
As a preface: I've been doing triathlon for six years. It's been a blast and I still enjoy it (most days). But I just got a new job that has the possibility of taking a lot of time away from my "hobby" of triathlon. Fitting in two workouts a day might be difficult (I haven't started yet). I have a history of head injuries (i.e., at least 8 concussions and one collision induced seizure). So with that said

How dangerous is crit racing?

My girlfriend and I went to the Littleton Twilight Criterium this past weekend and we were both in awe. The atmosphere is way more exciting than the vast majority of triathlons we've done. It's far more like real racing than a triathlon is. But, we witnessed 3 crashes in the P-1-2 race. These guys were traveling over 27mph the entire race.

I think I would be pretty solid in the lower categories; I have a good engine (320 FTP; 4.2 w/kg), but my handling skills are that of a normal triathlete. I'm hesitant at the thought of going down and knocking my head. I couldn't care less about road rash and even broken bones, but my fear is solely due to the possibility of another concussion and it really messing me up long term.

Suggestions? Advice? I'd love to hear from the ex-triathletes that realized being mediocre at three sports isn't as satisfying.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: For a triathlete to an aspiring crit racer: how dangerous is it? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:
As a preface: I've been doing triathlon for six years. It's been a blast and I still enjoy it (most days). But I just got a new job that has the possibility of taking a lot of time away from my "hobby" of triathlon. Fitting in two workouts a day might be difficult (I haven't started yet). I have a history of head injuries (i.e., at least 8 concussions and one collision induced seizure). So with that said

My girlfriend and I went to the Littleton Twilight Criterium this past weekend and we were both in awe. The atmosphere is way more exciting than the vast majority of triathlons we've done. It's far more like real racing than a triathlon is. But, we witnessed 3 crashes in the P-1-2 race. These guys were traveling over 27mph the entire race.

I think I would be pretty solid in the lower categories; I have a good engine (320 FTP; 4.2 w/kg), but my handling skills are that of a normal triathlete. I'm hesitant at the thought of going down and knocking my head. I couldn't care less about road rash and even broken bones, but my fear is solely due to the possibility of another concussion and it really messing me up long term.

Suggestions? Advice? I'd love to hear from the ex-triathletes that realized being mediocre at three sports isn't as satisfying.

then this isn't for you

My worst crash came in my third crit race. Concussion + broken teeth. None of my crashes since was anything nearly as bad

Of course, most crit crashes don't result in anything comparable, but then again, it's not where i'd look if one would want to avoid brain injuries.

Wash outs in corners are probably the most prevalent forms of crashes in crits, and results of those are generally tame. The more unpredictable ones are the ones where someone goes down in the middle of the pack, and you are too far behind to notice it immediately, but still can't escape the carnage radiating outward from the initial crash. No telling how you'd fall in such a situation
Last edited by: echappist: Aug 7, 19 9:24
Quote Reply
Re: For a triathlete to an aspiring crit racer: how dangerous is it? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the likelihood of additional concussions is high...

I entered my first crit in 2002. I was a novice bike rider but in excellent shape as a rower. By some miracle I made the late breakaway that stuck to the end. I was in a sprint with 5 guys to the line. Then I woke up on a gurney being loaded into an ambulance after being unconscious for 30 minutes. Had a serious concussion, no skin left on my face and a upper lip ripped completely in half.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have totalled 3 helmets in 10 years of bike racing. Thankfully no concussions or serious head injuries.
I can't say the same for my teammates. Many concussions, and one life altering brain injury.
Stay the fuck away from bike racing if you already have a history.

After being taken down by an inattentive asshole at the start of this year, I gave up road racing entirely and only do gravel events now.

FWIW, I found crits much safer than road races. Due to the speed and corners, people are forced to pay attention the whole time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got into Cyclocross for the same reasons you mentioned.

Debated Crit racing, also for same reasons. In talking to a few friends, I actually think the lower categories are the more dangerous, since it is all of the newbs. Less confidence and refined skills=higher chance for major crash. Unless you just solo away every race until you get pulled up. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's probably not as dangerous as it's made out to be. 3 crashes in a p,1,2 race seems way out of the ordinary. If you race regularly though, you will go down at some point. I've been doing a weekly race for almost 20 years and I've crashed 3 times. One of those crashes involved being knocked out for a few minutes and a minor concussion.

It's great fun but the risks are real.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crashing in crit racing is pretty much inevitable if you do enough of it. Most forms of group road racing to be honest, not just crits. It's not necessarily your handling skills that are the issue, it's everybody else in the race. You'll hear advice to stay near the front of the pack, but that's often easier said than done when everybody else is trying to do the same thing. Based on my experience I think concussions from those crashes are pretty rare - road rashes comes with the territory, broken arms and collarbones are fairly common, I've seen a few broken hips and cracked pelvises, some whiplash, but off the top of my head can't think of anybody who concussed themselves. Guess helmets are pretty good these days which helps. But you're certainly increasing your chances of it happening.

Totally empathise with trying a single sport focus. I enjoy triathlons but cycling was always my favourite and strongest leg, I'm currently focused on just cycling and honestly not sure if or when I'll do another triathlon. Certainly makes fitting in the training much easier and I'm getting better results. Have you thought about TTing? Not as much of an adrenaline rush but it's a good fit with your tri background, presumably you already have the bike and helmet, and at least in TTing you're in control of your own destiny and aren't going to get wiped out by another rider. Or road races tend to be a little calmer than crits, especially the longer ones with some hills to naturally spread the field out so people aren't trying to force a selection so much by hammering through corners.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:

I came from Tri from Crits. My $.02 - Expect to crash in a crit. It may never happen to you, but crashes in races were, in my experience, not at all uncommon. Usually they involved road rash and some broken bike parts, sometimes broken bones, and often they involved broken helmets. Crashes were more likely in the traditional Cat 3, 4 and 5 races than they were in masters races.

As for a potential head injury, I went back to racing after brain surgery (unrelated to bikes, hockey is dangerous). I stopped racing because, after taking about a year off because of travel obligations for work, when I toed the line again I realized I was no longer interested in 90 degree corners with my shoulder resting on the guy next to me, hoping that the crunching sound behind me wasn't going to take me out. I wasn't as keen as you are to have road rash and broken bones. I personally believe that the risk of head injury is non-trivial.

If you do race, work on your bike handling, go to a few "on bike" racing clinics and try to get with a team which has some masters riders willing to show you the ropes. Learn how to absorb impact. Learn how to find the wind and hide from it. Don't worry about a breakaway in a Cat 5 race. Try to stay in the first 9 bikes at all times, and understand that the winner is usually the guy who has done the least for the longest.

If you decide Crits aren't for you, maybe try mtb x country, or cyclocross.
Last edited by: island rider: Aug 7, 19 9:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would suggest a few road races and then if you like them try crits

The acceleration in crits can be amazingly fast

First timers often get dropped within the first couple of minutes and basically their race is over
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you're not unsure...and being unsure in a crit is not safe for you, or others if you have true "triathlon handling skills." Crit races are fun to watch, but cross races are fun to be in (hand-ups, getting dirty like a little kid, and other interactions with the crowd).
Quote Reply
Re: For a triathlete to an aspiring crit racer: how dangerous is it? [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
It's probably not as dangerous as it's made out to be. 3 crashes in a p,1,2 race seems way out of the ordinary. If you race regularly though, you will go down at some point. I've been doing a weekly race for almost 20 years and I've crashed 3 times. One of those crashes involved being knocked out for a few minutes and a minor concussion.

x2. I've had about the same experience. ~20 years and hundreds of starts from Cat 5 to P12. I went down twice in Cat 5, once breaking my steerer, but walking away from both. I crashed once in P12, sliding out in the rain, walked away. Never so much as a scratch on my helmet, no broken bones.

I will add that not crashing isn't just dumb luck (though luck certainly factors in). In a crit I spend nearly 100% of the time exactly where I want to be in the field (until crossing the finish line, when I'm usually not exactly where I want to be). I'm always riding behind guys I want to be around, and almost always in the top 15. I'm always aware of my escape routes if something happens in front of me. Crit racing involves making hundreds of little decisions every minute. If you're just going along for the ride mid-pack and not thinking about much, you're probably not minimizing your crash risk.
Last edited by: trail: Aug 7, 19 9:53
Quote Reply
Re: For a triathlete to an aspiring crit racer: how dangerous is it? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
I would suggest a few road races and then if you like them try crits

The acceleration in crits can be amazingly fast

First timers often get dropped within the first couple of minutes and basically their race is over

most road races aren't materially safer

dodgy descents, off camber turns, pinch points, etc. Those injuries really get gnarly. Crits may be fast, but it's never 40 mph fast until the really end; different story in road races
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you race crits, you will crash. Not every time. But the crashes will come. At best, you will just destroy bikes. (Don't race a bike you can't afford to replace. Crits are what cheap aluminum bikes are for.) At worst, you will have head injuries.

And while I won't name names . . . some crit race organizers -- even of major crits -- set up courses seemingly for the purpose of maximizing the possibility of carnage. Just as with NASCAR, a lot of crit fans just come to watch the crashes. Some race organizers keep safety in mind. Others seemingly cannot resist throwing in a high-speed, downhill, off-camber, sharper-than-90* turn. It's just what they do. Beware any crit that promotes a "dead man's curve" or similar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I loved racing crits in college. I will never do them again because I'm not a reckless youth anymore.

Skills to master: people touching you and leaning into you as you ride. I had my handle bars actually get intertwined with another rider's handlebars. We simultaneously unhooked and pushed off each other and somehow didn't wreck.

You need to be comfortable on your bike, like your bike is part of you. That comes from hours and hours of riding every day.

Before the race and during, you need to be able to identify the other riders who will wreck you. Watch how people warm up. Watch where they direct their attention. You need to identify seasoned riders and learn from them and ride near them. Stay away from newbies like yourself.
Last edited by: Calamityjane88: Aug 7, 19 10:07
Quote Reply
Re: For a triathlete to an aspiring crit racer: how dangerous is it? [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your power would likely make you a pretty strong crit racer once you get the tactics down. I went the opposite way, went from MTB/Crits to Tri.
If you are over 35 it is much safer. But stuff still happens. I would guess I have raced over 150 crits, from C5 to P12, and never had a major crash (other than a warm up lap where I went down at high speed) BUT I was a break away rider. I spent very little time in the pack. My role for our team was to just attack all the time. I would suggest you try the same. You won't win often, but you will animate the race, be less prone to crashes, and have a lot of fun. Once you get the basics, you can try to sit in a bit more, and go from there.
I would say if you are worried about head injuries field sprints are not for you. Field sprint crashes are just one of those "not if but when"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You mention having a decent ftp. While that is good overall it’s not something that will really help you win a race unless you break away from the beginning, and in car 5 races everyone chases the rabbit so it’s not happening.

Being able to responds to watts above threshold is way more important. I went into several cat 5 & 4/5 races first getting into it last year with a 4.6 watt/kg threshold, and while I could stay with the pack I wasn’t a real factor in the race because of not having the above and way above threshold stuff. Something to be aware of.

Also if you’re worried about concussion and with your history I’d avoid it because why take the chance?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got into triathlon the day after doing my first cycling stage race. On the road race stage, two guys sprinted for KOM points, crashed into each other and as we rode by, one of the riders was on the ground having a seizure. The following day in the crit I pretty much hung onto the back, then eventually fell back into a smaller group of 3~4 people.. which was actually great fun. Being in the large pack made me nervous. I will admit though that I don't do a lot of group riding, so I'm not totally comfortable with it.

The next day, I started looking into triathlon, as I figured any bike crashes would be basically my own fault. They still happen, but not as frequent. I watch about one crit a year, and it's like NASCAR.. just waiting for the big one to happen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triathlete since 1999 and this year decided to add road racing to the mix. I have ridden bikes my entire life and consider myself to have decent handling skills - but don't all. Racing Cat 5 definitely puts you in the mix with a wide range of skill/strength levels.
Crits are fun (and hard) but the course design/location can make a big difference in the result of a mid race incident, my N-1 examples:
Davy Crockett TT - the course was a simple rectangle with relatively benign corners, the race felt safe.
Bear Creek Crits - the course is in a park with gentle drop offs from the road so if you need to avoid the crash in front you can easily ride onto the grass and then continue (your race will be over but your upright)
Houston Grand Crit - course was basically a rectangle but had one 180 corner that was narrow. This year in the 4/5 races there were multiple crashes, some serious, some of these in the 180 corner but some on straightaways (one bad move and then the 15 riders behind all go down as well). I got taken out in a group crash, was able to restart, then in a second race had bike go down mid-corner right infront of me that I manged to avoid but lost the group.
Memorial Crits - relatively easy course but there is no run-off, you go off course you're going down hard.

Road Races - Cat 5 road races can be a cluster! These are not a safer option to crits - you can have a large group (75+) of riders that don't normally ride together who are suddenly squeezed together. I've never braked more often or harder and generally felt like the group was going to go down the whole time - I did not enjoy road racing.

TTs - ride hard.

So, as others have said, if you ride your bike you have a chance of being in a crash, if you race your bike you increase your chance of being in a crash. I thought I would enjoy road racing but that was not my idea of fun. The right crit can be a lot of fun.
Quote Reply
Re: For a triathlete to an aspiring crit racer: how dangerous is it? [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:

This. While there are inherit risks in crit/bike racing (as in any sporting event that involves moving fast with others around you), it's not doom and gloom. I do agree that it's a bit more sketchy in 5/4 cats, but you can find yourself piled up in 3/2/1. FTP means nothing in these types of races. Well, ok...if you're the one dude that can ride off the front of a beginner cat and take it to the line, congrats. But that's not going to happen much. If anything, the beginner cats are too "eager" and feel like they can dump anyone and everything behind them. Let em go! and then reel them in after a nice comfortable effort with the rest of the group when they pop.

Alot of it depends on the crit too. If they have alot of time or prize bonuses, you can find some eagerness on the lap which, when combined w/ lack of vision or handing, can cause some tense moments. But it's crazy fun and a great way to supplement other endurance training.
Quote Reply
Re: For a triathlete to an aspiring crit racer: how dangerous is it? [phoenixR34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I raced the Cat 5 at the littleton twilight last weekend for what its worth I decided to try crits this year from Tri the last 5 I have a similar FTP as you and thought it would make it pretty easy. However, the amount of tactics and strategy involved can quickly make your power not mean shit haha

I have all the same concerns as you with injury and its what stopped me from trying crits earlier. I have had some good fun doing the practice crits at CSP Wednesday nights, even though they have had some crashes as well. Honestly it just does not give me the same feeling as tri and i am still worried about crashing. The cost of gear and injury would really piss me off.

Also keep in mind that race last weekend is one of the bigger ones in Colorado so the Energy and crowds are much much different at that one then most other normal ones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been crit racing a few years when younger.
And track racing a few years recently.

Looking at the "dangerous" side : you will crash, and it is dangerous, and even more if your handling skills are below average (like a typical triathlete).

I quit mass start bike racing for this reason, concentrating on TT and Tri (no draft). When I want to do a mass start, I do a half marathon or a trail race.
Quote Reply
Re: For a triathlete to an aspiring crit racer: how dangerous is it? [Exige] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exige wrote:
I raced the Cat 5 at the littleton twilight last weekend for what its worth I decided to try crits this year from Tri the last 5 I have a similar FTP as you and thought it would make it pretty easy. However, the amount of tactics and strategy involved can quickly make your power not mean shit haha

I have all the same concerns as you with injury and its what stopped me from trying crits earlier. I have had some good fun doing the practice crits at CSP Wednesday nights, even though they have had some crashes as well. Honestly it just does not give me the same feeling as tri and i am still worried about crashing. The cost of gear and injury would really piss me off.

Also keep in mind that race last weekend is one of the bigger ones in Colorado so the Energy and crowds are much much different at that one then most other normal ones.

We went to the one Sunday, too—the Bannock Street crit. We watched the women's 4s and the mens masters 1-2-3 (i think). It was definitely way lower energy, but the men were definitely still gutting it out.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Last edited by: cloy: Aug 7, 19 10:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:

It's cliche only because it's true: It's not a question of if, but when. And how severe.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:

It's not if you don't mind being toothless and scabby.
Quote Reply
Re: For a triathlete to an aspiring crit racer: how dangerous is it? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have to ask, racing crits isn't for you. The recommendation for cyclocross instead was an excellent one.
Quote Reply

Prev Next