Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Flo Cycling Launches Carbon Clinchers! [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like you say. I was on the fence for the old flo's only thing holding me back was I wanted full carbon. I bet other people feel the same way that this just made my decision easier and I will be buying these in the near future (if available). I was going to rent wheels but when I tried to rent them I was unable too because they sold them out already, I just said I am buying them.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Last edited by: mknight84: Mar 1, 16 5:42
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Cycling Launches Carbon Clinchers! [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
The real brilliance in this marketing is that just as they started to get stock in their old wheels, they develop something new that everyone will want but won't be able to get because of the selling model-it will keep these wheels relevant for years to come as people continue to line up every few months to buy them.

I'm hoping I can pick up a 60/Disc set of the new aluminum tracked Flo's. New bike doesn't have wheels, so I need a set before Raleigh 70.3.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Cycling Big Announcement Tomorrow! [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The real question is does it make the womp womp sound ;)

---------------------------------------------
I taught Chuck Norris everything he knows

Quote Reply
Re: Flo Cycling Big Announcement Tomorrow! [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
mknight84 wrote:
I could be wrong but it looks like the nipples are outside of the carbon which is different than that they had before being under the fairing.

It probably just looks like it cant tell for sure.

I think I can distinguish the spoke nipples in the photo, so I agree with structural carbon. This would address their weight issue, but I am not sure I would trust a full carbon brake track in a budget wheel.

Someone like Zipp has the engineering resources and QC to do a decent job and there is enough evidence of a serious problem with these things to override my inherent cheapness.

Not only does Zipp have the resources for engineering, but they also have the risk analysis dept / lawyers of SRAM who the engineers have to deal with. I like Jon and Chris - super nice dudes. In this case you aren't paying the full premium of Zipp, in which case was on of my main points in the Ventum thread about paying a premium for an unproven product. In this case FLO has been around for a while and has established a great reputation. If I was to go with a less expensive Carbon Clincher this would probably be the one I would go with. However, frustrating to see companies design wheels around such slow tires. I know Zipp tests on the 4000s too and I understand appeasing the masses but the Supersonic is very nice and wish more companies tested it as well.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello, and congrats on the new product offering. It appears to be really well tested. I am curious, is the rim shape proprietary? They appear highly similar to the rims from light-bicycle. Also, I am curious if you observed material changes in drag by varying the internal width in CFD.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Cycling Big Announcement Tomorrow! [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was $1 off. But if it was the price is right, I guess I went over so I lose. But I'll be buying these so I'll be a winner yet! Good for Flo! Great guys. Great company.

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the new wheels, I have the 2013 Flo 60 Front and was going to pick up the Flo 90 Rear in the next sale, Is there any issue running the 2013 and the 2016 together in terms of aero benefit?
Last edited by: thepilo: Mar 1, 16 6:25
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Cycling Big Announcement Tomorrow! [thepilo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thepilo wrote:
Congrats on the new wheels, I have the 2013 Flo 60 Front and was going to pick up the Flo 90 Rear in the next sale, Is there any issue running the 2013 and the 2016 together it terms of aero benefit?

Yes, mixing years will cause both wheels to instantly go flat, and the display screen to flash VOID VOID VOID VOID.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations, this is a very impressive product introduction. I think you're now making the transition to being a major industry player.

From a user standpoint it's nice to have so many wheel choices, although from a business standpoint I'm not quite as sure if it makes as much sense, but don't doubt you guys know what you're doing and you're going to sell so many wheels it really won't matter if a few of your offerings aren't as big a hit.

Hope you've made a lot of molds of that 60 CC rim, you're going to need them. The new 45 should do very well with roadies.

I think a ton of people will be queued up at their computers on your sale date.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Cycling Launches Carbon Clinchers! [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How fast will the classifieds fill up with people unloading their old Flo's?
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Cycling Launches Carbon Clinchers! [jeremyscarroll] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeremyscarroll wrote:
How fast will the classifieds fill up with people unloading their old Flo's?

Said someone every time there was a new product launch. That's life. Old wheels are still perfectly fine, anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Cycling Launches Carbon Clinchers! [jeremyscarroll] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably not that fast if most people miss out on the first order or two
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well done Chris. You and Jon just stepped the game up for the industry in terms of data and science behind the product.

Quote | Reply
Canadian wrote:
Liaman wrote:
Quick question around your yaw findings when out on course:

What kind of typical cruising speeds were you cycling at to get these results? 16, 18, 20mph?
Obviously wind conditions on the day etc will have their own effects, I'm just trying to work out what sort of skew I should apply for my own riding. Faster = less yaw etc

We rode at a variety of speeds during our studies. Of course higher speeds produce lower yaw angles, but there wasn't a significant enough difference to worry about. What the overwhelming result was, no matter where we rode, is that yaw angles are typically much lower than we believed in the past. Our data shows that 50% of your time is spent between 0 and 5 degrees, and by the time you get to 10 degrees of yaw, you have accounted for 80%. You spend only 20% of your time between 10 and 20 degrees of yaw, and as the angles get higher, the percentage of time gets lower.

Long story short, what I've said above really holds true for the average speeds almost any athlete is maintaining.

Make sense?

Congratulations guys! It looks like you guys nailed it again. I'm still super happy with my FLO 60s from pre order #1, and my FLO 30's from their first order. I've trained and raced a lot of different conditions putting 10's of thousands of miles on those wheels without a single issue thus far. No complaints.

I'd be all over the new ones if it wasn't for the damn CAN$ sucking these days.

Plissken74 wrote:
maybe they manage to improve their online ordering system before adding new fancy stuff to their "store"
you can have the best stuff at this world but if you can't sell it properly...

Almost all of our wheels have been in stock since November. Just recently we finalized sales of our final models. The FLO 30, the only wheel we did not redesign, is still in stock now.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Cycling Big Announcement Tomorrow! [CoreyLMay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CoreyLMay wrote:
The real question is does it make the womp womp sound ;)

Haha. No it does not. It sounds the same as our Aluminum + Carbon FLO DISC. It's just more compliant.

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Cycling Big Announcement Tomorrow! [Bonesbrigade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep same with the $aus; it ain't worth diddly. Will
Keep my 'old' flos for a while yet. It's the engine that needs more work!
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Cycling Big Announcement Tomorrow! [thepilo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thepilo wrote:
Congrats on the new wheels, I have the 2013 Flo 60 Front and was going to pick up the Flo 90 Rear in the next sale, Is there any issue running the 2013 and the 2016 together in terms of aero benefit?

No issue at all. You'll just be faster than running a full 2012 model set :)

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Cycling Big Announcement Tomorrow! [pyf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pyf wrote:
Congrats on the new products, first they seem awesome, second they are very well introduced with all the information available at the same time !

I do have a couple of questions :
1- I saw you molded the shape of the GP4000S II 700x23 on the FLO30 to get it right and then develop your wheels around it. Very smart. My question about that process is : did you take into account the shape the tire might take from the 17mm internal width of the 45mm carbon clincher which is your minimum internal width if I read correctly to the 19.4mm internal width of the FLO30 and the new carbon/alloy model ? Or was the difference small enough between 17 and 19.4mm that it did not really matter (big difference going from 15 to 17mm but then differences gets smaller when going bigger).
2- Since lower yaw angles were getting higher in the priority list, I'm sure Attack 700x22 or the narrow Supersonic 700x23 were tested in your 20 tires pre-test, how did they compare at lower yaw angles to the GP4000S II 700x23 you ended up choosing ? Since the 45 is narrower at brake track, is it possible that those narrower tires make more sense on the 45mm model but you standardized with one tire (actually two 700x23mm models) just to keep the information easily readable ?
3- Per you own specs and graphs the carbon clincher disc is 40gr lighter but also slightly less aero than the carbon/alloy disc, would you recommend the carbon/alloy disc most of the time (it also has the wider internal width which makes the 40gr extra weight even easier to accept) and only recommend the carbon clincher version to the custommer wanting to save the very last gram ? I would pick carbon clincher all the time for all rims just because I'm not a fan of the big holes in carbon/alloy (don't want to start the debate, it's just a personnal preference) but since the discs are the same kind of construction in both carbon clincher and carbon/alloy I honnestly wonder which one I would pick.

Looking forward to reading your answer, and congrats again... I was not sure I needed new wheels but I think I do ;-) !!!

I'm also interested in questions 1 and 2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chris, quick question: with your new carbon clinchers, can the end user replace the hub? I'm thinking along the lines of getting a 90 rear and having it replaced with a powertap g3. What about the spokes?
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Cycling Big Announcement Tomorrow! [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:
Congratulations, this is a very impressive product introduction. I think you're now making the transition to being a major industry player.

From a user standpoint it's nice to have so many wheel choices, although from a business standpoint I'm not quite as sure if it makes as much sense, but don't doubt you guys know what you're doing and you're going to sell so many wheels it really won't matter if a few of your offerings aren't as big a hit.

Hope you've made a lot of molds of that 60 CC rim, you're going to need them. The new 45 should do very well with roadies.

I think a ton of people will be queued up at their computers on your sale date.

Thanks for the kind words. We do have a fairly compressed shipping schedule from the factory early this year, which should hopefully help. We are still growing every year. It will certainly take a little sorting out to determine sales percentages of Carbon Clincher vs. Aluminum + Carbon, but if you want to grow, it's something you have to attempt to do. We'll keep doing our best.

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Cycling Big Announcement Tomorrow! [JustinNorCal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JustinNorCal wrote:
Well done Chris. You and Jon just stepped the game up for the industry in terms of data and science behind the product.

Thanks Justin!

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Cycling Big Announcement Tomorrow! [Bonesbrigade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bonesbrigade wrote:
Canadian wrote:
Liaman wrote:
Quick question around your yaw findings when out on course:

What kind of typical cruising speeds were you cycling at to get these results? 16, 18, 20mph?
Obviously wind conditions on the day etc will have their own effects, I'm just trying to work out what sort of skew I should apply for my own riding. Faster = less yaw etc

We rode at a variety of speeds during our studies. Of course higher speeds produce lower yaw angles, but there wasn't a significant enough difference to worry about. What the overwhelming result was, no matter where we rode, is that yaw angles are typically much lower than we believed in the past. Our data shows that 50% of your time is spent between 0 and 5 degrees, and by the time you get to 10 degrees of yaw, you have accounted for 80%. You spend only 20% of your time between 10 and 20 degrees of yaw, and as the angles get higher, the percentage of time gets lower.

Long story short, what I've said above really holds true for the average speeds almost any athlete is maintaining.

Make sense?

Congratulations guys! It looks like you guys nailed it again. I'm still super happy with my FLO 60s from pre order #1, and my FLO 30's from their first order. I've trained and raced a lot of different conditions putting 10's of thousands of miles on those wheels without a single issue thus far. No complaints.

I'd be all over the new ones if it wasn't for the damn CAN$ sucking these days.

Haha! My parents are feeling the same pain with the US dollar this year. Thanks for the continued support.

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, How will the inventory be for the April order?
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Cycling Big Announcement Tomorrow! [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Chris, quick question: with your new carbon clinchers, can the end user replace the hub? I'm thinking along the lines of getting a 90 rear and having it replaced with a powertap g3. What about the spokes?

Yes you can! No more fairing interference issues to worry about with our new carbon clincher rims. You can lace any hub you want into those wheels. The spokes will/may vary depending on the size of the hub flanges in the new hub you are using. A PT build option from us is something we are currently looking at. We'll have updates on that as soon as we know more.

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply

Prev Next