Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Fastest tubular?? [SteveDDS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My thoughts were to go with the Vittoria Corsa speed or the Veloflex record initially due to the low crr. I spoke with the HED rep when I bought the wheel and he suggested the Conti Attack. Not sure if that was for aero reasons or just durability, but I was leaning away from Conti tires due to no latex. Thoughts??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SteveDDS wrote:
My thoughts were to go with the Vittoria Corsa speed or the Veloflex record initially due to the low crr. I spoke with the HED rep when I bought the wheel and he suggested the Conti Attack. Not sure if that was for aero reasons or just durability, but I was leaning away from Conti tires due to no latex. Thoughts??

Conti tubs are crap. I'd avoid them at all costs personally. haven't ridden one in over 20 years. Always found it amazing that they could produce such great clinchers and complete POS tubs.

IMHO, of course. Wink

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest tubular?? [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:
I would give the Vittoria Corsa G+ speed a shot, glue the shit out of them add some sealant and burn. that is my tire of choice for the up coming season for my wheels; HED Stinger 9/ Stinger Disc or GT3/Stinger Disc.

Hope you are racing on smooth roads... they are paper thin and puncture prone
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest tubular?? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
LAI wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
LAI wrote:
Tom A's list can be found here: https://docs.google.com/.../edit#gid=1224624714

Not a whole lot of tubulars on there, though.

Oh wow...I just realized I've got a bunch of tires (10 or so) to add there...

I stalk your blog looking for updates. :) I really appreciate you posting up the results of your tests. Thank you for doing so.

Thanks. A bit of "life intervening" happened since my last update earlier this year...that's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it ;-)

Would that be with Vittoria or Continental mastic?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SteveDDS wrote:

The Conti Attack is a decent clincher but the tubular is not as good as the Continental Competition. And even with the Competition, you are giving up some watts because of the butyl tube. It is also possible your rep knows nothing about tubulars at all and thinks you are asking about a clincher tire. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My understanding is that crr is far more important in the rear than the front tire where aero is more important in the front. I read somewhere that it is about 75/25% and vise versa. That having been said, I'm looking for something I can get in a 22mm-23mm tire in front on the gt3 and a 23-25mm with very low crr to put on a Zipp 900 disc for the rear. Please correct me if I'm wrong and suggestions welcome. Leaning towards either Vittoria Corsa speed or Corsa g+ in front and Corsa g+ in rear but unsure of aero for these tires.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would go out on a limb here and say that Vittoria is the one of the few companies that make a latex tubed Tubular. Sounds like you are splitting hairs here..go with a 23mm Corsa G+ up front and a 25mm Corsa G+ in the rear. Maybe stay away from the Corsa G+ Speed due to it being a more fragile tubular. Like i said in my earlier post, I don't think you can go wrong with a pair Corsa G+ Speed wrapped on your race wheels with some orange seal in them. Or you can spoil yourself and get a pair of FMB Record Silks.
Last edited by: mike s: Dec 16, 16 15:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Challenge and Michelin are also on latex - not sure about others :-)

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice. I think I am going to go with the Vittoria G with the 25 in the back and 23 in the front. Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone tried / tested filling the gap between the tyre and rim with anything ?

Something like silicon sealer to mimic the strip that mavic offer ?

I am not going to try it - just interested ... :-)

Quote Reply
Re: Fastest tubular?? [WD Pro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WD Pro wrote:

Zipp's are Latex as well and lose pressure rather quickly, at least my 27 does.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Re: Fastest tubular?? [WD Pro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WD Pro wrote:
Has anyone tried / tested filling the gap between the tyre and rim with anything ?

Something like silicon sealer to mimic the strip that mavic offer ?

I am not going to try it - just interested ... :-)

There are a few wheels out there that use the additional rim width as a trip, so I wouldn't think about it unless it was designed in that fashion.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest tubular?? [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LAI wrote:
WD Pro wrote:

So are Veloflex's, and mine lose pressure at an expected rate. I always pump up my tires before each race, so no biggie. The free watts from the latex are more important.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest tubular?? [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RichardL wrote:
LAI wrote:
WD Pro wrote:

So are Veloflex's, and mine lose pressure at an expected rate. I always pump up my tires before each race, so no biggie. The free watts from the latex are more important.

Agreed. My veloflexs loose air pretty quick too. The Zipp and Veloflex loose air faster than my clinchers setup with latex tubes (bontrager xxx) and the only other tubular with latex that I have which is a schwlabe HT; however, both feel so much better than any of my clinchers w/latex.

On pumping up tires I always do before any ride or race regardless of tube material.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Re: Fastest tubular?? [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Back in the 90s there were some people running a bead of latex between the rim and tire to smooth the transition. I never heard of anyone doing any tunnel testing on it though.

rich
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest tubular?? [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RichardL wrote:
Veloflex Record.

http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/...vguard-clincher-2014

I have the Schwalbe ultremo which I like a lot except it is a bit on the fragile side [2 punctures in 1st 100 km]
The newer "schwalbe one" tests quite highly

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest tubular?? [RoYe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RoYe wrote:

I have the Schwalbe ultremo which I like a lot except it is a bit on the fragile side [2 punctures in 1st 100 km]

The tested versions are clinchers. We are talking about tubular tires here.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest tubular?? [RoYe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RoYe wrote:
RichardL wrote:
Veloflex Record.

I have one Ultremo HT left that is latex, but be forewarned that Schwalbe made a move to butyl in all their tubulars. I was very dissappointed in my Ironman and my "Roubaix" Ones when I discovered they were both Butyl. The latter actually isn't a bad tire, but would rather have had a latex tube in it.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Conti Podium TT.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest tubular?? [juha-pdx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Newer Zipp Tangente SL Speed 27C Tubular will be very hard to beat, see for yourself ......

https://docs.google.com/.../edit#gid=2028370507

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/...peed-course-and.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

The Vittoria Crono CS is the fastest tubular I have ever tested. It is faster than any of the tires (clincher or tubular) currently on Tom's spreadsheet. Remember that gluing technique matters. If you use tape instead of a good glue like Mastik 1, you will have terrible rolling resistance regardless of the tire you use.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest tubular?? [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

jens wrote:

The Vittoria Crono CS is the fastest tubular I have ever tested. It is faster than any of the tires (clincher or tubular) currently on Tom's spreadsheet. Remember that gluing technique matters. If you use tape instead of a good glue like Mastik 1, you will have terrible rolling resistance regardless of the tire you use.

Thats good to know.

Do you have test results on the Newer Zipp Tangente SL Speed 27C Tubular ?
How does it compare to the Vittoria Crono CS tubular ?
What size was the Vittoria Crono CS tubular ? Looks like they only come in 22 and 24.

My BMC TMR01 has a pretty stiff ride so I am loving how the Zipp Tangente SL Speed 27C Tubular and lower air pressure feels. What other wide tubular would you suggest that would be better then ?

Thanks for the info.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest tubular?? [KarlC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Vittoria Crono has absolutely no puncture protection. So you better have clean roads or a bit of luck when using them. Kind of like racing on a track tire.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest tubular?? [KarlC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KarlC wrote:

What size was the Vittoria Crono CS tubular ? Looks like they only come in 22 and 24.

Mine was a 20C. I would guess the wider ones would roller faster. I haven't tested any other tubulars recently. I still have a bunch of Dugast and other tubulars in my garage that I intend to sell sometime....

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest tubular?? [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi jens, how are you testing these tires? On a roller drum? Can I ship you a Veloflex Record 21C tubular tire properly glued to a Zipp 404 650c rear wheel with PowerTap G3C hub to test?
Quote Reply

Prev Next