Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Fastest disc wheel out there today? [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
Details on this 800g Corima disc wheel? Which tire are you running? Only wheels I'm aware of that light are the Lightweight ones and those have a 20mm external width and are limited to tubular which makes them a non-starter.

Marc Sasso
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest disc wheel out there today? [m_sasso] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is indeed very light. How wide is it and what tire are you able to run?

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest disc wheel out there today? [dkennison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dkennison wrote:
Yes and the difference in our disc at $850 running a 25 or 28 mm tire ccr vs the other disc at $2,500 running a 22 mm tire ccr should more than make up the difference 😊

I’m willing to take on the road ride challenge as well.

Are we testing tires or comparing wheels?

Marc Sasso
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
m_sasso wrote:
dkennison wrote:
Yes and the difference in our disc at $850 running a 25 or 28 mm tire ccr vs the other disc at $2,500 running a 22 mm tire ccr should more than make up the difference 😊

Doesn't matter. 500g saves you 3 seconds at 200 watts on a 10% 1km climb. Hardly "way" faster for a 390second climb. The difference is less at higher power.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"In the wind tunnel maybe, on the road way different, and happy to wager before the testing begins which is faster." - you 20 minutes ago.

Make up your mind. I'm good either way :-)

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
m_sasso wrote:
dkennison wrote:

The wheel directly affects the tire choice. As mentioned previously it will affect tubular vs tubeless vs clincher and thus the type of tube (if necessary) then what size tires can be run. That has shown over the past few years to have similar or more affect on speed in the real world.

My Strava | My Instagram | Summerville, SC | 35-39 AG | 4:41 (70.3), 10:05 (140.6) | 3x70.3, 1x140.6 | Cat 2 Cyclist
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey - I'm just messing with you :-). You have a great disc and it is a good choice.

There are a lot of good choices out now.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is BS - the Corima tubi is just over a 1000g and the clincher runs 1200+g. Even the track front disk is 900+ grams…what exactly are you showing us here, the track wheel with the hub busted out?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
m_sasso wrote:

The fastest wheel can be very slow with the wrong tire / tube choice.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Fastest disc wheel out there today? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:

HED makes a true carbon disc. The Jet line is aluminum rim and carbon walled. The Vanquish line is full carbon and I believe also wider.

Unfortunately not and I was misled by the tech data on their Vanquish Pro RC disc which states spokes: n/a.

Their disc is essentially an RC6 with a carbon cover, not a structural carbon wheel.
Last edited by: LOW2000: Feb 1, 23 19:07
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest disc wheel out there today? [LOW2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought you were referring to the rim. There's nothing wrong with spokes in a disc wheel. Why does it matter to you?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just my 2c on this: I like my disc wheel like I like my (Mexican) wife: LOUD :) The HED discs are dead silent
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
I thought you were referring to the rim. There's nothing wrong with spokes in a disc wheel. Why does it matter to you?

Because it was advertised as not having spokes yet it does. If you ordered a structural disc and received a spoke and cover disc it wouldn’t matter to you?
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest disc wheel out there today? [LOW2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No I don't, because filling and spokes are two ways of achieving the same thing. In a disc wheel I care about price, width, aero, and weight, roughly in that order. What's inside doesn't matter to me just as it doesn't matter what kind of filling they use if it's solid or anything else that isn't visible/measurable.

I'll agree showing NA for spokes is misleading, though. That's not cool even if there's no functional difference.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest disc wheel out there today? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Entirely true IMHO. On that note, the world is shifting rapidly towards wider tires. Zipp, Enve etc are all running 28s on their new wheels but every disk I can see on the market still has a super narrow rim eg. Zipp Super 9 disk brake is only 18mm!

Does anyone make a disk with internal of >20mm? I'd love to have something I can fit a wider tire to (disk brake compatible)
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest disc wheel out there today? [aka_finto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dont know what the internal sizing is of the HED Vanquish Disc, but they mark 28 mm width to be optimal, check this:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aka_finto wrote:
Entirely true IMHO. On that note, the world is shifting rapidly towards wider tires. Zipp, Enve etc are all running 28s on their new wheels but every disk I can see on the market still has a super narrow rim eg. Zipp Super 9 disk brake is only 18mm!

Does anyone make a disk with internal of >20mm? I'd love to have something I can fit a wider tire to (disk brake compatible)

https://www.lightbicycle.com/WUFO-C21-Full-Carbon-Disc-Wheel-Clincher-Rear-Disc-Brake.html

This meets your specs, but I've heard some people having issues with LB discs and needing to return them. It's a good company though, I have a wheelset of theirs on my road bike.
Last edited by: treyxt: Feb 2, 23 6:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jet disc and V disc, 21 internal.

Andy Tetmeyer (I work at HED)

Quote Reply
Re: Fastest disc wheel out there today? [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
m_sasso wrote:
marcag wrote:
m_sasso wrote:
dkennison wrote:
If anyone wants to do a wind tunnel comparison - I'd be happy to send our disc wheel. :-)

No one's wheel will be faster +/- "margin of error" in the tunnel.

I remember when the bike companies participated in an unbiased test (including our frame) a few years ago - they all wished they had not. Kind of cut through all the marketing!!

Be serious, you are trying to tell me your 1290 gram disk wheel is going to have the same performance as my 800 gram Corima disk? In the wind tunnel maybe, on the road way different, and happy to wager before the testing begins which is faster.

How is it "way different" ?

Get out your fist year physics book and calculate how much faster a 800 gram weight will get to the top of a 1km/10% hill when compared to a 1290 gram weight when the same amount of force is applied to booth.

Ok, let me turn to page 113.

On flat at 40km/h you it will cost .490 * 9.81 * .004 * 11.11 = .21 watts. in rolling resistance.....yawn

On a 4% incline, at say 30km/h, 1km = .490 * 9.81 * 40m = 192joules / 120s = 1.6 watts.....yawn....you get some of that on the way down, btw

I guess you were doing the TT on the Planche des belles filles.

Carry on

You made me splash out my gulp of Coke all over my iPad Pro :-) LOL

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest disc wheel out there today? [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRIPRO wrote:

You made me splash out my gulp of Coke all over my iPad Pro :-) LOL

Jeroen

And the funny part is the Corima road (not track), clincher (not tubular) weighs the same thing as the Premier at 50% more.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest disc wheel out there today? [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get +1.86 watts up a 4% grade (~360 watts 75 to 75.5 kg 30 kph)

At the same speed i get 4.2 watts up a 10% grade but that's the difference between 728.2 and 724 watts

At 16 kph (~360 watts 75 kg .24) i get 2.3 watts difference (75 to 75.5 kg)
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest disc wheel out there today? [treyxt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just received my Light Bicycle disc wheel, having had some reservations based on a couple mentions in the forum.

Aside from some slight cosmetic fiber layup distortions under the clear paint, the wheel is impressively fabricated.

More true than my other top name brand disc wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest disc wheel out there today? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
I get +1.86 watts up a 4% grade (~360 watts 75 to 75.5 kg 30 kph)

At the same speed i get 4.2 watts up a 10% grade but that's the difference between 728.2 and 724 watts

At 16 kph (~360 watts 75 kg .24) i get 2.3 watts difference (75 to 75.5 kg)

All still in the 1/2 to 3/4% range, or 2-3 seconds in a 5+ minute climb.

[not intending to disagreeing with you. Just pointing out the relative significance, compared with Mr. Sasso's claim of "way". Where'd he go anyway?]
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest disc wheel out there today? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I understand.

The calculator I created can show difference in watts and it's tedious to find the differences in velocity and time.

I agree, it's not much at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest disc wheel out there today? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Ron Aeron X and I like it so far. It's lightweight (1190 grams), relatively inexpensive, internal rim width is ok (18mm internal 27.5 external, 25mm tire recommended but 28mm can be used, currently using Schwalbe Pro One TT 25), it’s stiff, and sounds just as good as high end discs. I was deciding between this one and Hunt wheels disc wheel but they weren’t in stock. This did take several weeks to be delivered, from Poland. Matt Hansen is sponsored by them, of course he’ll use what he’s given rather than what is fastest so that may not be saying much. It’s also my first disc wheel and only one I’ve used so can’t compare.
Quote Reply

Prev Next