Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: FTP indoors outdoors TT position road bike climbing [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
If you want to measure training load/stress, you have options, in approximately decreasing order of estimation of reality:

hours - the data is a hard fact but doesn't reflect training load well. A 4 hour road race would be the same as a 4 hour cruise smelling the flowers. Obviously insane

miles - the data is a hard fact and has built in some notion of how hard you were going, but still doesn't reflect training load well. A windy ride for an hour would look like less training load than a windless day for an hour, when the opposite would be true. Group ride would get more miles simply because of drafting. Moving to a place with smoother roads, all your mielage stats go up even if you didn't actually work any harder.

kilojoules - the data is a hard fact about how much energy you spent, so this is *really* good. But it still doesn't account for the fact that say, alternating 100 and 300 watt intervals is a lot harder than just averaging 200 watts. So, it is still an estimation of reality.

TSS or BikeScore - takes into account that the stress at a given power is nonlinear. Not going to be perfect, but then neither are any of the above methods. It shouldn't ever be more misleading than kilojoules is. Even a "NP buster" workout where NP ends up way above what you can do for a 40k will be less misleading than kilojoules about how 'hard' the ride was.

I'm not a coaching expert, I know people who are, that think TSS is stupid. They mostly express that on twitter with sarcastic comments that are too short to reveal good reasons why. They may have them good reasons though. I imagine ultimately that they just reject the notion of trying to quantify training load/stress in the first place, and prefer to approach it qualitatively. Given that nobody knows what the perfect pattern of training is anyway, a smart person approaching it qualitatively may indeed be no worse than trying to track it quantitatively.

I'm just rambling here sorry.

Not unreasonable points, for the record I don't use TSS or TP.

I don't care who does or who doesn't, ultimately it's about extracting performance from where you are to where you want to end on race day. There are some really good threads on here about how an athlete may use TSS in certain phases to influence an outcome year over year. So if for example they decide to increase intensity and volume in programming and they look at TSS as a week over week indicator and they find an individual correlation then I think that's great.

If they don't find a correlation then that could lead to other avenues of exploration, thats great too, if it leads to a direct negative correlation then thats great too. I don't care, it's up to people to find their own way to what they want to achieve.

In terms of the points above, yes I would say that load is different for a given workout. whether it applies directly to the formula is up for debate on an individual basis. How NP correlates to the individual response to training or directly to BL response…..is well individual. I think if people wanted to they could use this in conjunction with other metrics and individually tailer input vs outcome success etc…It's up to them not me which is why I don't care a whole bunch about TSS and what people do with it. But like I said before it is up to the individual, and there are post's in which people use it to their advantage.

I guess I am agnostic on TSS, if it works great, if it doesn't grab a pad of paper and a pen and write down notes as to why. Or maybe use excel and start adding certain values on your own for indoor vs outdoor etc.

If you clearly hate it then don't use it, even if there is just a 10% value metric in TSS if you are pre-disposed to hating its author or the methodology then you won't see that 10%.

I guess maybe we look at different things, using our own correlations or evaluations. PM usage is about 30% so maybe 4-5 out of 15 athletes, so to start TSS really doesn't work for 2/3rds or so. It also may have issues in running/swimming but I think this has been discussed before.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: FTP indoors outdoors TT position road bike climbing [Trev The Rev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trev The Rev wrote:
Pooks wrote:
so do you have suggestions for a better method, or are you just loudly complaining that everything sucks?

Yes, I do have suggestions for a better method of training with power.

We've been waiting but all I can hear is the sound of tumbleweeds rolling down a lonely desert highway. Perhaps a few crickets in the evenings.
Quote Reply
Re: FTP indoors outdoors TT position road bike climbing [Trev The Rev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trev The Rev wrote:
The watts are not estimated, the heart rate is not estimated. Feel is subjective.

When you estimate based on two measured units and one subjective unit the result will always be subjective.
If there was an SI unit for subjectivity - once you put that unit in the equation it's automatically in the result.

Do you really think this is a stronger argument than NP (Which as you wrongly state is not "...merely an estimate of the power one might have produced if the effort were steady state").

If you are going to be the aggressor in the debate (which I believe was your mission from the start) then you'll have to give facts.

You are trying to blow every argument out of the water by disputing it's scientific merit but can't give any scientific merit for your own arguments.

I'm enjoying the argument but can't help but feel that you are not interested in debate, just mud slinging like a stubborn child.

#######
My Blog
Quote Reply
Re: FTP indoors outdoors TT position road bike climbing [sub-3-dad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My system is based upon maximum average power and sustainable heart rate derived from a 20 minute test.

Power is average power over the 20 minutes. Sustainable heart rate is derived only from minutes 10 to 17 in the test. A ten minute structured warm up is required.

No numbers for feel or RPE are used other than as notes, no score is given.

Training is scored using both power and heart rate. I also look at power / heart rate ratio.

There is a heart rate score and a power score and a combined score.
It is pretty obvious when you should re set your 20 minute power number.

I'm not prepared to go into more detail. Particularly after reading some of the comments posted above.
Last edited by: Trev The Rev: Mar 21, 14 3:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Through this whole all I have seen is somebody who is being rude and disrespectful for his own purposes. Now I read your 'system', all I can say is that you are an arse.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trev The Rev wrote:
My system is based upon maximum average power and sustainable heart rate derived from a 20 minute test.

Power is average power over the 20 minutes. Sustainable heart rate is derived only from minutes 10 to 17 in the test. A ten minute structured warm up is required.

No numbers for feel or RPE are used other than as notes, no score is given.

Training is scored using both power and heart rate. I also look at power / heart rate ratio.

There is a heart rate score and a power score and a combined score.
It is pretty obvious when you should re set your 20 minute power number.

I'm not prepared to go into more detail. Particularly after reading some of the comments posted above.

Why only minutes 10-17?
How do I calculate my hour power?
How do I use this to monitor my training on a 4 hour ride.

These are only questions from me, those with more knowledge and experience will no doubt have more, and better questions.

In all honesty, until such point as you are prepared to go into detail and even go so far as write a paper and get it peer reviewed, you are just making yourself look even more a little more silly than you already do.

On the internet, you can be anything you want. It is a pity so many people choose to be stupid.
Last edited by: chrisbint: Mar 21, 14 4:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trev The Rev wrote:

What, for fear of being trolled on the interwebs?
How ironic.
Quote Reply
Re: FTP indoors outdoors TT position road bike climbing [Watt Matters] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yet another internet forum turns on Trev
Quote Reply
Re: FTP indoors outdoors TT position road bike climbing [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Andrew Coggan wrote:
jackmott wrote:
what is your system trev?

Presumably the same as Warren Geissert's, Kraig/Kirk Willett's, The Old Guy's, and all the others out there who love to criticize but lack the intelligence/insight/knowledge/understanding/background to come up with a better - or indeed, even any cogent alternative - approach. Meanwhile, those at the pointy end of the field (and not just in cycling) keep coming to me for assistance, while the number of imitators/emulators continues to grow...

Hi Andy, it’s been a few years eh? I have a couple of questions for you, since you brought me into this:

Why are you smearing, mischaracterizing, and misrepresenting me on this forum?

What measures of intelligence/insight/knowledge/understanding/background do you use to judge folks as being capable of managing performance differently than your approach?

I believe there are many different approaches and many different paths to the same goal, and I apologize if you didn’t/don’t understand mine.
Last edited by: Kirk_Willett: Mar 22, 14 6:33
Quote Reply
Re: FTP indoors outdoors TT position road bike climbing [Kirk_Willett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kirk_Willett wrote:
Andrew Coggan wrote:
jackmott wrote:

Presumably the same as Warren Geissert's, Kraig/Kirk Willett's, The Old Guy's, and all the others out there who love to criticize but lack the intelligence/insight/knowledge/understanding/background to come up with a better - or indeed, even any cogent alternative - approach. Meanwhile, those at the pointy end of the field (and not just in cycling) keep coming to me for assistance, while the number of imitators/emulators continues to grow...

Hi Andy, it’s been a few years eh? I have a couple of questions for you, since you brought me into this:

What measures of intelligence/insight/knowledge/understanding/background do you use to judge folks as being capable of managing performance differently than your approach?

I believe there are many different approaches and many different paths to the same goal, and I apologize if you didn’t/don’t understand mine.

Functional Threshold Power, Normalized Power, Training Stress Score have never been presented in a peer reviewed paper.

There is no evidence whatever that Andrew Coggan's ideas, as laid out in Training and Racing with a Power Meter work any better than just counting heart beats and watts.

Due to the difficulties in establishing FTP which varies with temperature, TT Bike / Road Bike, turbo / outdoors, etc etc and the way TSS scores eg 300 watts on a turbo in excessive heat in TT set up when fatigued as it does outdoors on a road bike when totally fresh, which is ludicrous, it is probably far better to track training stress by heart rate and use power in watts as a measure of performance.

Coggan also does a disservice to an entire generation of cyclists by continually disparaging anyone who advocates using power with heart rate.

There is no evidence his methods work better than merely quantifying training by adding up all the heart beats and all the watts and keeping a close eye on the trend of power : heart rate ratio, and or following advice about using power with heart rate from Joe Freil and others.

TSS has been criticised by many, Coggan always reverts to the same defence, which is to attack the person then boast about his track record.

It is no argument to call people who criticise some your ideas names.

Coggan and his followers can call me all the names they like, but they will fail to bully me off this or any other forum.

The fact he resorts to name calling exposes his inability to answer valid criticisms.

Power is for measuring performance, heart rate is a simple and reliable way to measure and quantify training stress. It has many advantages, it increases for a given power as you fatigue and get hotter. It increases and hangs to reflect hard efforts, in fact it automatically normalizes.

There is not a shred of evidence Coggan's system works any better than using heart rate, or simply adding up the watts or both, or in fact just adding up the miles, hours or even pedal strokes.

Coggan is fond of boasting about his scientific background and the papers he has written, note how he has consistently failed to present a paper on FTP, Normalized Power and TSS.
Quote Reply
Re: FTP indoors outdoors TT position road bike climbing [Kirk_Willett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kirk_Willett wrote:
Andrew Coggan wrote:
jackmott wrote:

I don't believe that I am smearing, mischaracterizing, or misrepresenting you in the least. You have been highly critical of the approaches I have developed (which many, including those at the very pinnacle of the sport, consider quite useful), but have routinely failed to offer any alternative of your own (aside from vague comments about "the gold is in the files", as if - as Jack Mott points out - using newer tools to obtain an overview somehow prevents one from also examining individual data files in detail).

If you've since come up with something better than that, well, now is the time to share...
Quote Reply
Re: FTP indoors outdoors TT position road bike climbing [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
Kirk_Willett wrote:

Andrew Coggan wrote:
jackmott wrote:

I don't believe that I am smearing, mischaracterizing, or misrepresenting you in the least. You have been highly critical of the approaches I have developed (which many, including those at the very pinnacle of the sport, consider quite useful), but have routinely failed to offer any alternative of your own (aside from vague comments about "the gold is in the files", as if - as Jack Mott points out - using newer tools to obtain an overview somehow prevents one from also examining individual data files in detail).

If you've since come up with something better than that, well, now is the time to share...

I am going to ask that you please stop smearing, mischaracterizing, and misrepresenting me on this forum and elsewhere, Andy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trev The Rev wrote:
Functional Threshold Power, Normalized Power, Training Stress Score have never been presented in a peer reviewed paper.

Uh, you're wrong there (just not by me).

Trev The Rev wrote:

Coggan and his followers can call me all the names they like, but they will fail to bully me off this or any other forum.

The fact he resorts to name calling exposes his inability to answer valid criticisms.

Calling you a troll is simply stating facts. After all, if I were the only one who held that opinion, you wouldn't have been banned from so many forums.

Trev The Rev wrote:
Coggan is fond of boasting about his scientific background and the papers he has written

You're dreaming: I rarely mention my professional endeavors.

Trev The Rev wrote:
, note how he has consistently failed to present a paper on FTP, Normalized Power and TSS.

Actually, I presented my ideas as an invited speaker at a symposium at ACSM a number of years ago. I don't get paid to do applied sport science research, though, so it is up to somebody else to do a formal study (as Lindsay Edwards and Simon Jobson started on about 10 y ago...too bad they never finished it, since the results were quite supportive).
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Mar 23, 14 11:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kirk_Willett wrote:
Andrew Coggan wrote:
Kirk_Willett wrote:

Andrew Coggan wrote:
jackmott wrote:

I am going to ask that you please stop smearing, mischaracterizing, and misrepresenting me on this forum and elsewhere, Andy.

I am not smearing, mischaracterizing, or misrepresenting you here or, for that matter, anywhere else. I am simply stating facts, i.e., you have been highly critical of my ideas, but have never offered any alternative other than "the gold is in the files".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
Kirk_Willett wrote:
Andrew Coggan wrote:
Kirk_Willett wrote:

Andrew Coggan wrote:
jackmott wrote:

I am not smearing, mischaracterizing, or misrepresenting you here or, for that matter, anywhere else. I am simply stating facts, i.e., you have been highly critical of my ideas, but have never offered any alternative other than "the gold is in the files".

Please stop continuing to do this, Andy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kirk_Willett wrote:

So which part are you disputing: that you have been highly critical of my ideas, or that you haven't offered any alternative other than focusing on individual files?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
Kirk_Willett wrote:

So which part are you disputing: that you have been highly critical of my ideas, or that you haven't offered any alternative other than focusing on individual files?

It's not either/or. I am asking you, politely, to stop personally smearing, mischaracterizing, and misrepresenting me. WRT your quote above, yes, I have been critical, particularly regarding the exploration of meanings, error margins and magnitudes. I have discussed a different approach and potential changes. If you didn't appreciate them, understand me, or agree with them; that's fine, I apologize.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As usual Coggan tries to smother the argument by making personal attacks.

He has no evidence using power alone is any more effective than using heart rate to measure training stress.

Heart rate has advantages, particularly to those who do more than just do all their training on a bicycle. You can use heart rate across sports, running, swimming, rowing, cycling, and heart rate takes account of the added stresses of heat, awkward positions, etc etc.

The man should stop disparaging the use of heart rate on its own or in conjunction with power.

Coggan should produce scientific evidence which proves his methods are superior to using heart rate alone or using heart rate in conjunction with power.

Heart rate has another advantage, it soon tells you when your power meter need re calibrating or fixing.

Power in watts is a measure of performance, a measure of output, nothing more. Heart rate is a measure of the bodies response to power output.
Last edited by: Trev The Rev: Mar 23, 14 13:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trev The Rev wrote:
Power in watts is a measure of performance, a measure of output, nothing more. Heart rate is a measure of the bodies response to power output.

If that's the case why don't you just use RPE? After all that's a measure of both the body AND minds response to power output. Hell of a lot simpler and cheaper.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
Trev The Rev wrote:

Uh, you're wrong there (just not by me).

Trev The Rev wrote:

Calling you a troll is simply stating facts. After all, if I were the only one who held that opinion, you wouldn't have been banned from so many forums.

Trev The Rev wrote:
Coggan is fond of boasting about his scientific background and the papers he has written

You're dreaming: I rarely mention my professional endeavors.

Trev The Rev wrote:
, note how he has consistently failed to present a paper on FTP, Normalized Power and TSS.

Actually, I presented my ideas as an invited speaker at a symposium at ACSM a number of years ago. I don't get paid to do applied sport science research, though, so it is up to somebody else to do a formal study (as Lindsay Edwards and Simon Jobson started on about 10 y ago...too bad they never finished it, since the results were quite supportive).

So the best he can come up with is that 10 years ago a formal study was started but never finished.

We will have to take his word the unpublished results were supportive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kirk_Willett wrote:
WRT your quote above, yes, I have been critical, particularly regarding the exploration of meanings, error margins and magnitudes.

Okay, one down.

Kirk_Willett wrote:
I have discussed a different approach and potential changes. If you didn't appreciate them, understandfo me, or agree with them; that's fine, I apologize

Sorry, I must have missed where you suggested an approach for analyzing powermeter data other than looking closely at individual files. Can you point me to it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trev The Rev wrote:
So the best he can come up with is that 10 years ago a formal study was started but never finished.

Hey, don't blame me because others are apparently unwilling/unable to pick up the ball and run with it. Goodness knows I've put plenty of ideas out there for people to test, which is pretty much all I'm able to do.

Trev The Rev wrote:

Actually, you don't have to take my word for it, as the results have been shared in various locations, e.g., on the wattage list, on the TRWPM blog, etc. If you can't keep up/are late to the game, well, there's not a lot I can do about that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
Actually, you don't have to take my word for it, as the results have been shared in various locations, e.g., on the wattage list, on the TRWPM blog, etc.

http://www.trainingandracingwithapowermeter.com/...ional-threshold.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
Trev The Rev wrote:

Hey, don't blame me because others are apparently unwilling/unable to pick up the ball and run with it. Goodness knows I've put plenty of ideas out there for people to test, which is pretty much all I'm able to do.

Trev The Rev wrote:

Actually, you don't have to take my word for it, as the results have been shared in various locations, e.g., on the wattage list, on the TRWPM blog, etc. If you can't keep up/are late to the game, well, there's not a lot I can do about that.

There are no results, they never finished the paper. You are talking about things posted on blogs and forums not independent scientific evaluations.

No power-based metrics have been validated in peer-reviewed scientific studies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What exactly are you trying to accomplish here besides getting in a pissing match with AC? If you are trying to change the hearts and minds of the people here, I'd wager you are going about it the wrong way.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply

Prev Next