Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: FTP indoors outdoors TT position road bike climbing [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is trev trying to bash Coggan's model because of errors in testing protocol? I dont really know of any people who base there entire training off of one indoor power test. Sure, the indoor test is great for getting you in the right area but i was under the assumption that you need to look at a few races and a few tests to see if you are in the right place.
Like data points on a graph.
Last edited by: Lphc4L: Mar 19, 14 9:26
Quote Reply
Re: FTP indoors outdoors TT position road bike climbing [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnman wrote:
Trev The Rev wrote:
Have you considered using the data which is fact instead of using the estimated parameter?

Time, distance and heart rate are all real, not estimates. It is illogical to discard fact in favour of a fashionable estimate.

Trev The Rev wrote:
I use feel, power and heart rate.

Quoted and highlighted for posterity.

I feel that is the second ownage in this thread. Keep them coming.

On the internet, you can be anything you want. It is a pity so many people choose to be stupid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everyone uses feel."If it feels hard it is hard." Who said that?

Only a complete fool would disregard feel or RPE.
Quote Reply
Re: FTP indoors outdoors TT position road bike climbing [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
You can add the woman on top of this podium to the montage:

From giving birth to 4w/kg of FTP in 9 months with the PMC guiding the training.

You know, between our wives and Sarah Haskins-Kortuem's burgeoning comeback, there seems to be a trend here...
Quote Reply
Re: FTP indoors outdoors TT position road bike climbing [Trev The Rev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trev The Rev wrote:

Me.
Quote Reply
Re: FTP indoors outdoors TT position road bike climbing [sub-3-dad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sub-3-dad wrote:
I feel that the OP had two goals when starting this thread:

Demonstrate to everyone how much he knows about 'the FTP model'.

Draw you out, enter a debate and win.

Trev is a well-known troll who has been banned from many a fora. I expect that it will only be a matter of time until he outwears his welcome here.
Quote Reply
Re: FTP indoors outdoors TT position road bike climbing [Trev The Rev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trev The Rev wrote:

Only a complete fool would disregard feel or RPE.

Wrong. A complete fool would disparage the use of estimated (non-factual and non-precision) techniques, then suggest that adherence to the most subjective variable known to mankind (i.e. feeling) is of utmost import.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I disparage techniques which claim to be scientific but are not.

Normalised power is a good example, it is merely an estimate of the power one might have produced if the effort were steady state.

The whole point of feel or RPE is that it is subjective.
Quote Reply
Re: FTP indoors outdoors TT position road bike climbing [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
sub-3-dad wrote:
I feel that the OP had two goals when starting this thread:

Demonstrate to everyone how much he knows about 'the FTP model'.

Draw you out, enter a debate and win.

Trev is a well-known troll who has been banned from many a fora. I expect that it will only be a matter of time until he outwears his welcome here.

As usual, you try to avoid answering valid questions and can't accept criticism so make personal attacks. At least on this occasion you have not resorted to abusive language. Do your worst Andrew, try to get me banned.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That something is an estimate does not make it unscientific.

Science is full of estimates.

Estimates are very useful!

Trev The Rev wrote:

Normalised power is a good example, it is merely an estimate of the power one might have produced if the effort were steady state.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: FTP indoors outdoors TT position road bike climbing [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Estimates are not as useful as facts. You don't go with the estimate when you have the fact.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trev The Rev wrote:
Estimates are not as useful as facts. You don't go with the estimate when you have the fact.

Correct!
But, for example, you might have a fact like "miles" or "hours". Now I could be pedantic and point out that you are just estimating those things too, since no measurement tool is perfect. But for sake of argument, let us call those facts.

But we don't want to know how many hours of miles we biked. That doesn't tell us much about training load. As a proxy for training load, "hours" or "miles" and even "heart rate" and "rep" are all *estimates* of training load, or training stress.

So, if you wanted to try to track training stress, or load, for whatever reason. You can't really get away from estimates. At least for now. Perhaps realtime tracking of lactate and other physiological markers might get you there (remembering of course that all measurements are also estimates!)

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trev The Rev wrote:

The Troll Stress Score^TM on this thread is increasing by the post, more so with such short sharp forays into nonsense that goes well beyond one's Functional Trolling Power^TM, that tends to result in a thread with a high Troll Factor^TM.
Last edited by: Watt Matters: Mar 19, 14 14:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trev The Rev wrote:
As usual, you try to avoid answering valid questions

I'm sorry - is there a question of yours that I overlooked?

Trev The Rev wrote:
and can't accept criticism so make personal attacks.

You seem to take great offense at being called a troll...a case of "if the shoe fits", eh?

Trev The Rev wrote:
Do your worst Andrew, try to get me banned.

No need - you have repeatedly proven yourself capable of it all by yourself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trev The Rev wrote:

Normalised power is a good example

Whomever claimed that normalized power is "scientific"?
Quote Reply
Re: FTP indoors outdoors TT position road bike climbing [Watt Matters] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should really think about copyrighting that shit. Its really pretty funny. I can see the e-book now. "Trolling and Raging with a Sarcasmeter".
Quote Reply
Re: FTP indoors outdoors TT position road bike climbing [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
Trev The Rev wrote:

I'm pleased to see you agree normalized power is unscientific.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
Trev The Rev wrote:

You certainly dress it up as being scientific.

To quote you
http://home.trainingpeaks.com/...ctor-training-stress
Normalized Power, Intensity Factor and Training Stress Score
Sunday, August 10, 2008 | By Andy R. Coggan, Ph.D.

Normalized Power (NP)
To account for this variability, TrainingPeaks uses a special algorithm to calculate an adjusted or normalized power for each ride or segment of a ride (longer than 30 seconds) that you analyze. This algorithm is somewhat complicated, but importantly it incorporates two key pieces of information: 1) the physiological responses to rapid changes in exercise intensity are not instantaneous, but follow a predictable time course, and 2) many critical physiological responses (e.g., glycogen utilization, lactate production, stress hormone levels) are curvilinearly, rather than linearly, related to exercise intensity.

By taking these factors into account, normalized power provides a better measure of the true physiological demands of a given training session - in essence, it is an estimate of the power that you could have maintained for the same physiological "cost" if your power output had been perfectly constant (e.g., as on a stationary cycle ergometer), rather than variable. Keeping track of normalized power is therefore a more accurate way of quantifying the actual intensity of training sessions, or even races. For example, it is common for average power to be lower during criteriums than during equally-difficult road races, simply because of the time spent soft-pedaling or coasting through sharp turns during a criterium. Assuming that they are about the same duration, however, the normalized power for both types of events will generally be very similar, reflecting their equivalent intensity. In fact, normalized power during a hard ~1 hour long criterium or road race will often be similar to what a rider can average when pedaling continuously during flat 40k time trial - the normalized power from mass start races can therefore often be used to provide an initial estimate of a rider's threshold power (see below). End quote.

Interesting how you like to use PhD when you are selling things.
Last edited by: Trev The Rev: Mar 19, 14 15:31
Quote Reply
Re: FTP indoors outdoors TT position road bike climbing [Lphc4L] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lphc4L wrote:
You should really think about copyrighting that shit. Its really pretty funny. I can see the e-book now. "Trolling and Raging with a Sarcasmeter".

Sure, I'll add a chapter to my book, "Things You Wouldn't Read About".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trev The Rev wrote:
Andrew Coggan wrote:
Trev The Rev wrote:

You certainly dress it up as being scientific.

To quote you
http://home.trainingpeaks.com/...ctor-training-stress
Normalized Power, Intensity Factor and Training Stress Score
Sunday, August 10, 2008 | By Andy R. Coggan, Ph.D.

Normalized Power (NP)
To account for this variability, TrainingPeaks uses a special algorithm to calculate an adjusted or normalized power for each ride or segment of a ride (longer than 30 seconds) that you analyze. This algorithm is somewhat complicated, but importantly it incorporates two key pieces of information: 1) the physiological responses to rapid changes in exercise intensity are not instantaneous, but follow a predictable time course, and 2) many critical physiological responses (e.g., glycogen utilization, lactate production, stress hormone levels) are curvilinearly, rather than linearly, related to exercise intensity.

By taking these factors into account, normalized power provides a better measure of the true physiological demands of a given training session - in essence, it is an estimate of the power that you could have maintained for the same physiological "cost" if your power output had been perfectly constant (e.g., as on a stationary cycle ergometer), rather than variable. Keeping track of normalized power is therefore a more accurate way of quantifying the actual intensity of training sessions, or even races. For example, it is common for average power to be lower during criteriums than during equally-difficult road races, simply because of the time spent soft-pedaling or coasting through sharp turns during a criterium. Assuming that they are about the same duration, however, the normalized power for both types of events will generally be very similar, reflecting their equivalent intensity. In fact, normalized power during a hard ~1 hour long criterium or road race will often be similar to what a rider can average when pedaling continuously during flat 40k time trial - the normalized power from mass start races can therefore often be used to provide an initial estimate of a rider's threshold power (see below). End quote.

Interesting how you like to use PhD when you are selling things.

Uh, Trev? I don't work for TrainingPeaks (and never have), don't receive any money for their use of my ideas (except in WKO+, for which I receive a licensing fee of $1/copy), and never sign my name "Andy Coggan, PhD".

Now the fact that I speak/write like a scientist, well, that is on me...
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Mar 19, 14 16:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trev The Rev wrote:
Andrew Coggan wrote:
Trev The Rev wrote:

I'm pleased to see you agree normalized power is unscientific.

Actually, I don't agree. That is, while it hasn't been published in a peer-reviewed paper, it was invented by an internationally-recognized scientist, is based on scientific knowledge, and has been presented at scientific meetings. It is therefore probably best described as "semi-scientific".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
Trev The Rev wrote:

Andrew, Trainingpeaks do here,

Our Trademarks
By introducing scientific tools and methods that have become the industry standard, TrainingPeaks has revolutionized the way that coaches and athletes track, analyze and plan endurance training. Our registered trademarks include TrainingPeaks®, TSS®, Training Stress Score®, IF®, Intensity Factor®, NP®, Normalized Power® and VirtualCoach®.
http://home.trainingpeaks.com/about-us

Normalized Power is clearly sold as a scientific tool or method. So it is most interesting you claim it isn't scientific.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trev The Rev wrote:
Andrew Coggan wrote:
Trev The Rev wrote:

Our Trademarks
By introducing scientific tools and methods that have become the industry standard, TrainingPeaks has revolutionized the way that coaches and athletes track, analyze and plan endurance training. Our registered trademarks include TrainingPeaks®, TSS®, Training Stress Score®, IF®, Intensity Factor®, NP®, Normalized Power® and VirtualCoach®.

Normalized Power is clearly sold as a scientific tool or method. So it is most interesting you claim it isn't scientific.

1. Bully for them.

2, Interesting in what way?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
while it hasn't been published in a peer-reviewed paper, it was invented by an internationally-recognized scientist, is based on scientific knowledge, and has been presented at scientific meetings. It is therefore probably best described as "semi-scientific".

...which, if you think about it, makes it closer to being "scientific" than, say, the methods of Jack Daniels, Fritz Hagerman, Doc Councilman, Peter Coe, etc. Not that that is necessarily a good thing, however!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trev The Rev wrote:

Our Trademarks

For someone who expects such a high degree of rigor from other, you certainly don't apply it to yourself. In the quoted text, TP claims some of their tools and methods are scientific. They then list a number of registered trademarks. At no time do they associate these trademarks with tools or methods much less those that they consider scientific. To say (based on the text) that TP is identified as scientific is fantasy.
Quote Reply

Prev Next