Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Epic Camp... Are you kidding?!
Quote | Reply
I hope I don't sound uninformed or out of the loop, but has anyone heard of Epic Camp? It is a 2 week training camp for elite triathletes run by Scott Molina and a few other Professional Triathletes. To be accepted to the camp you must have finished an IM in under 10 hrs. Here is one week of training totals:

Day – Swim/Bike/Run
One – 6.5k/161k/14k
Two – 6.5k/231k/14k
Three – 6.5k/128k/12k
Four – 6.5k/204k/12k
Five – 6.5k/183k/12k
Six – 4.0k/140k/12k&12k
Seven – 7.0K&6.5k/91k/12k&21k

Weekly Totals
Swim: 50,125 meters over 13.4hrs
Bike: 1,138k over 40.6hrs
Run: 121ks over 9.9hrs

Does this seem insane to anyone else?!?! I mean, obviously you are at a level I cannot even comprehend to finish an IM in under 10 hrs anyway, but this doesn't seem real. This is the equivalent of riding one week of the Tour de France and running 3 marathons at the same time! Not to mention all the swimming!

Please let me know if I am overreacting here. I admit, I have never done an IM... and never will if this is what it takes!

Check it out- www.epiccamp.com

--------
"Texas is a state of mind. Texas is an obsession. Above all, Texas is a nation in every sense of the word" - John Steinbeck
Quote Reply
Re: Epic Camp... Are you kidding?! [lonestar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They're clearly not swimming enough. Only 1 double? :-)

Marty Gaal, CSCS
One Step Beyond Coaching
Triangle Open Water Swim Series | Old School Aquathon Series
Powerstroke® Freestyle Technique DVD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They've been doing these for a while now, and have had some some excellent results coming out of the camps. If you're elite enough to hang in there, it would be an awesome experience. Me, I like reading the reports. ;)

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Epic Camp... Are you kidding?! [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't get me wrong... I would love to be able to hang with those guys. And you're right, it would be an incredible experience. I had just never heard of such intense training. If you had asked me I wouldn't have believed it was possible.

Very interesting to follow, though. (Once you stop being freaked out!)

--------
"Texas is a state of mind. Texas is an obsession. Above all, Texas is a nation in every sense of the word" - John Steinbeck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IF I was faster I would sign up! and I hope some of them are planning on the quintuple (think that is what they are calling it this year) Iron in Mexico..they've done the homework!

I can't comprehend the speed they are going. IF I could I would be an entirely different athlete, but the distance is doable at a slower pace (for me) and not at all absurbd. Now the speed AND the distance, damn..I am just jealous!

I agree with Mike..only one double on the swim :-) I would want at least more double swims to break up the abuse from the running and biking. It is the running that will get you.

Hmmm..wonder if Scott needs a massage therapist for his endeavor. Anyone knows him tell him I am available for hire. Still need to raise my race fee for November.
Quote Reply
Re: Epic Camp... Are you kidding?! [Eileen Steil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My G-d, I feel slow and out of shape! I honestly couldn't finish ONE of those days! Maybe the swim and bike, but I would keel over before the end of the run.

I've gotta go.... it seems I have alot of training to do!

--------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The thing is, these guys aren't going "hard". They're just going way longer than they've ever gone before. Gordo does 6.5k in the pool @ 1:30 LCM, which is his "relaxed pace". They "cruise" the bike for 200 odd k. Clas does his easy runs in the 4min range.

It's a whole other world, these elites...

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lonestar..you COULD finish one of those days..it is in kms not miles! It only looks daunting until you try. Now at their speed..even if they are relaxed..no freakin way for me. But the distance is SO doable...that is what blows me away. So many people SEE the distance but doesn't TRY the distance. If you ignore the number and TRY you will be amazed what your body can do! Now the speed component..no freakin way..not for me..others yes. Don't sell yourself short is what I am saying, don't say no to something that you haven't tried to keep going and going comes solely down to nutrition and hydration. Your own mind blocking you from trying a distance is what stops most (I've done it). It isn't something you want to just go try tomorrow, you do have to build up to it..but the distance is very achievable..with hard work and the desire. If any of those elements are missing, won't happen.
Quote Reply
Re: Epic Camp... Are you kidding?! [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last year ST did their own version of this, everyone who participated put in some big numbers and we posted them here. I didn't join in because of work commitments. This year I have a week of vacation first week in July and will be trying to emulate this in Traverse City Michigan which has some decent hills. Of course I will put in no where near their mileage. But am shooting for 200miles on the bike, 7-10 hours of swim, and 50 miles or so of running.

I know some of you do this mileage regularly, I gotta start somewhere. I am thinking that it would be nice if any michigan ST'ers wanted to join in on the weekends we could get some groups rides/runs in.

Also, anyone know of a pool in Traverse City, I will be on a a lake and able to swim open water but a pool is good for drills and pacing your workout.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Re: Epic Camp... Are you kidding?! [Eileen Steil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't talk now... must train...

My goal this year is my first 1/2 IM. I'll let you know later this year if I plan on doing a full IM. Baby steps for me, I'm a weenie.

The distance (with proper training) is doable, you're obviously right, the speed... incomprehensible.

--------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lonestar,

There's an order to everything. With the 1/2IM as your goal, a simple 5K run must seem laughable to you now. To someone sitting on the couch, they might think "I couldn't run 3 miles if someone was chasing me with an axe!"

Before I had done an IM, I could think of riding my bike for 112 miles......Last year I did a camp with 270 miles on the bike in 2 days - definitely the longest rides to date. It's all a matter of scale and changing perceptions.

Relax2dmax

Relax2dmax

"Just remember there is only 2 letters difference between STUD and STUPID." Heard on the course of the 1998 Lost Boys Ultramarathon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Day – Swim/Bike/Run
One – 6.5k/161k/14k
Two – 6.5k/231k/14k
Three – 6.5k/128k/12k
Four – 6.5k/204k/12k
Five – 6.5k/183k/12k
Six – 4.0k/140k/12k&12k
Seven – 7.0K&6.5k/91k/12k&21k

Weekly Totals
Swim: 50,125 meters over 13.4hrs
Bike: 1,138k over 40.6hrs
Run: 121ks over 9.9hrs
Don't forget the epic pricetag.
Quote Reply
Re: Epic Camp... Are you kidding?! [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL... I guess that if you're paying that much you want to get your money's worth in training!

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know, it is definately not something everyone can afford (me included), but it didn't seem outrageously priced to me. 2 wks in AUS including room, meals, supplements, massage, etc. for under $3,000 is not extravagant. Just my opinion.

--------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it makes my Do It Yourself Epic Camp of last march look week...
although I was on my own

with smartasscoach we are looking at doing a smartasscamp in AZ...cost would be around $700 for 8 days...
Last edited by: Francois: Jan 20, 05 5:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>>Don't forget the epic pricetag.<<

Actually cheaper than a Tour de France trip for the same time period.

I know a few of the fellows (non-pro) who are there and who have done EC in the past and they all think it's a good experience.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Epic Camp... Are you kidding?! [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>Last year ST did their own version of this, everyone who participated put in some big numbers and we posted them here.<<

We need to do that again! Say next week?

clm, 6 wks and 2 days to IM NZ

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Epic Camp... Are you kidding?! [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WE, (the north) just got 6 inches of snow. I did 3 miles running today and an hour of yoga, This weather is not good for mileage, on the other hand I spent 2 1/2 hours in the gym yesterday and I hate the gym.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Re: Epic Camp... Are you kidding?! [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Details guys details - a lot of us would love an excuse to travel to Arizona

http://www.endurancesports.ca
Coaching and Training Camps

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
because its fully supported... paying for a large staff of people to take care of you, your bike, etc... and to fund the elites who are there
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois - Sign me up for Smartass in the Sun 2005. Seriously.

As for Epic, yes it is pricey but intentionally so. Originally it was a camp for gordo and his elite pals. Then all the neo-elite punters on his website saw it and wanted in. So gordo said: if you want to pony up the dough and promise not to cry like a baby you can come along. Now it is evolving into a bigger better organized enterprise, which is Gordo's prerogative - Demand sets the price. But to my mind 12 days is too long for non-pro elites. I think that may be a consensus from many of the non-pros on epic aussie. I think more than a few had to take a day or 2 off, and/or EZ recovery days riding really flat. 5-7 days really whacking yourself with hi-volume ought to do the job.
Quote Reply
Re: Epic Camp... Are you kidding?! [johnthesavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
we are still looking at technical details (that are a pain in the butt because neither of us is a US citizen or permanent resident)...

Plan (note this is not a 100% go...still working the details)

1. week of spring break in Phoenix (march 21st to 28th)
2. fine tuning for IMAZ or more general training for others.
3. no mega mileage.
4. Olaf Sabatschus, Sergio Marques, SAC present

Price would be around $700 to $800
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do not fear these camps. Something happens when you spend all your time either training or recovering. I did a couple of these types of camps in my swimming days. You definitely get fatigued, but you definitley get through it. And once you recover and absorb it, you're a completely different athlete.

Having the structure around you is critical. Your whole experience needs to be about sleep, eat, train. Nothing, and I mean nothing else. That's why I think it's worth the price, even for the more expensive ones. I personally just can't get into that monk-like state at home.

I think it's worth noting that the whole point of Epic Camp is that it's not for everyone. I salute Gordo, Molina and co. for creating such a thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what would be the requirements???? i would be definitely into that as well :)

----------

“You can't coach desire.” --Dathan Ritzenhein
http://xtreme4.com/ -- an extreme ride for extreme change: go green
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yesterday when I read Gordo's report I was curious to how fast this aveaged.

It ended up being 2.1 mph on the swim, ~17 mph on the bike, and running 8 min miles over ~63 hours of training!
Quote Reply

Prev Next