Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [jans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jans wrote:
To all Direto owners, knowing what you know now after using your Direto, would you purchase it again?

Definitely yes. I have had no issues at all.

Edit: not really an issue...but I routinely unplug it when finished with a session, to keep it from entering a “bad state”. That way it will connect without difficulty at my next session.

Been riding 3.5-4 hours on it since October 1st, and it works fine.

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Last edited by: chxddstri: May 19, 18 10:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [chxddstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone have an opinion on the Direto vs. the new KICKR? With the ongoing DCR/CleverTraining 20% off discount the price differential is $180. The KICKR comes with a cassette and a Wahoo cadence sensor so that gap is cut in half. At a $90 price differential is the KICKR truly better?
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [daleks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
daleks wrote:
Anyone have an opinion on the Direto vs. the new KICKR? With the ongoing DCR/CleverTraining 20% off discount the price differential is $180. The KICKR comes with a cassette and a Wahoo cadence sensor so that gap is cut in half. At a $90 price differential is the KICKR truly better?

I’ve never used a Kickr, so no first hand experience. I don’t like the sound of the Kickr (from what I’ve heard on DC rainmaker videos online). That was the deal breaker for me, cassette included or not.

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I own a Direto and I am very happy with it since day one. While I do not have 1st-hand experience with the new kickr, being price similar my purchasing recommendation would be the kickr if you are in the US due to better after sales support. In Europe Elite's prices are more competitive and the brand has a wider presence so the direto is usually a better deal.
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [JonathanNYC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have ridden my Direto for about 6 months without incident, but today, during an FTP test of all things, this loud knocking noise started. Any thoughts?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpOLTJPZRVU

Strava
Last edited by: kornpett: May 21, 18 5:38
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [kornpett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Join the Elite direto group on Facebook. Elite monitors the group and can answer questions there. They are quite quickly there and will walk you through what to check....I am so happy with mine btw.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only thing that I am missing...
How can I get left/right balance from Direto to Garmin 520 or 935?
Can anyone help me ?
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [uva0224] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uva0224 wrote:
Can anyone help me ?

You can't, it's only available in their app if you pay.
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marklemcd wrote:
uva0224 wrote:
Can anyone help me ?

You can't, it's only available in their app if you pay.

He can indeed, when paired as powermeter it broadcasts L/R balance and you can setup a data field to see it.- No other pedalling metrics though. Also, if you don't have the wired cadence sensor (optional) the trainer does not know what is right and left so the value could be inverted (but you can easily figure it out unbalancing the stroke on purpose.

Last edited by: iker2: May 22, 18 8:49
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [iker2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
can anyone tell me roughly what the wattage floor is, say, for the big ring and 25 tooth? I want to buy one, and dont really want to do intervals in the small front chain ring in erg mode.
Can you get buy under 100 watts on the big ring in erg mode or are you changing gear?
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:
can anyone tell me roughly what the wattage floor is, say, for the big ring and 25 tooth? I want to buy one, and dont really want to do intervals in the small front chain ring in erg mode.
Can you get buy under 100 watts on the big ring in erg mode or are you changing gear?

I made this table some time ago so you can figure it out. Big ring is a 50 compact here. Short answer is yes if your cadence is below 85 aprox
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
daleks wrote:
I'm happy with my direto and would buy it again but if the price is close I might consider the kickr for two reasons:
1- proven durability. There are people online who have had their kickr since 2014 and say they're built like tanks. Direto has not been around that long.
2- Ability to add on kickr climb. Not saying I'd get one for sure but I'd consider it since I ride indoors 6 months a year and since I particularly like using zwift to train for long climbs since I do not have any where I live. I don't know what kind of reviews the kickr climb is getting.
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [AndyCaleb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bought one as soon as they were available. More than happy with it. Quieter than the kickr. Flawless so far and would buy again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iker2 wrote:
coates_hbk wrote:

I made this table some time ago so you can figure it out. Big ring is a 50 compact here. Short answer is yes if your cadence is below 85 aprox

That’s an awesome table! I wonder what 53 would look like across the board
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:

That’s an awesome table! I wonder what 53 would look like across the board

Here is another version of the same data, by a user (credit to David Whelan at the facebook Direto owners group). In this case for a 52 semi-compact chainring, there will be little difference with the 53 (2-3 rmps lower for the same power ranges)

Last edited by: iker2: Jun 1, 18 1:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You’re a jet

Sitting on the 53-21 the minimum is about 100 watts at 80rpm it seems/
I see why the other owner said it’s borderline chaining into the front smaller ring for recovery efforts.
Thanks heaps again this is the best info I have seen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was my first trainer, but have had a great experience with it so far. Pretty quiet when I use the small chain ring in ERG mode. Gets a little louder if I use the big chain ring (even at same power).
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [devx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Need some advice please. I have been riding trainer road for over a year on a Kinetic Road Machine with the kinetic power meter. No iissues and I could always hold my power steady within a few watts.

I just set up my new Direto trainer and did my FTP test. I did the trainer road calibration first. My spindown shows 0s. I am in resistance (non ERG) mode with the resistance set to "none". I have power match disabled (no other power meter).

My power was all over the place! I'm talking instant 20-30 watt swings without any change in cadence. Is this normal?? I'm not saying my power is dead on even, but 20-30 watt changes in the same gear with no cadence change seems high. Also, when intervals would start, the resistance would change to 50% without me doing anything.

Any advice would be appreciated. Worried I shelled out a bunch of money and have a trainer with a problem. I tested a workout with ERG mode on after the FTP test and that seemed to hold power a little better. However, still some decent swings and without ERG mode on it's all over the place.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [Rossguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rossguy wrote:
Need some advice please. I have been riding trainer road for over a year on a Kinetic Road Machine with the kinetic power meter. No iissues and I could always hold my power steady within a few watts.

I just set up my new Direto trainer and did my FTP test. I did the trainer road calibration first. My spindown shows 0s. I am in resistance (non ERG) mode with the resistance set to "none". I have power match disabled (no other power meter).

My power was all over the place! I'm talking instant 20-30 watt swings without any change in cadence. Is this normal?? I'm not saying my power is dead on even, but 20-30 watt changes in the same gear with no cadence change seems high. Also, when intervals would start, the resistance would change to 50% without me doing anything.

Any advice would be appreciated. Worried I shelled out a bunch of money and have a trainer with a problem. I tested a workout with ERG mode on after the FTP test and that seemed to hold power a little better. However, still some decent swings and without ERG mode on it's all over the place.

Thanks!

The power reported by the direto can be a little too spiky with default settings, sort of like an instant power reading. There is a setting in the trainer parameters (accesible through myetraining software) that you can adjust to get a more smoothed value reported to trainerroad
Last edited by: iker2: Jun 7, 18 2:54
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [Rossguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since you stated you did the road calibration first, the latest Direto app recommends you warm up the trainer for at least 20 minutes before calibrating it. Not sure if that will help the spikiness, but mine seems pretty accurate after I followed those instructions.

Quote | Reply
Thanks for the help. I did not notice the advanced settings in the myETraining app. I warmed up the trainer, calibrated in myETraining, and turned the power smoothing from 2 to 5. Things are MUCH more stable in trainer road now. We'll see if the problem persists where it automatically ups the resistance to 50% for no reason.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Comparing my assioma duo with my direto, i suspect it to be reading about 8% higher. It's hard to tell if the pedals are pessimistic or the train optimistic. I made several comparison of my pedal with bestbikesplit and i would tend to think the lower reading are more correct so i tend to suspect the direto. Anyway to tweak that ? Changing belt tension maybe ?
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [Ajaj191] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It could be partially that the assioma is reading closer to where you generate power (i.e. the pedal) vs. the Direto (which is measuring at the hub). Many people have found this to be the case (see DCRainmakers reviews or GPLama). I am not sure if it accounts for the 8% you are experiencing but the Duo is supposed to be quite accurate so that would account for some of it. I would be interested to hear what DC and GPLama say about that. Maybe we will get lucky and they will put in their more professional two cents (vs. my paraphrasing of what I have read from their posts).

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So i did a lot of search on forums and comments and it looks like you can contact elite with a file containing a power meter and a the direto and they can adjust coefficient to make them match. plus or minus 8-10% looks to have happen a few time. I bet most people will do with the stock reading in particular if they have no way to check (or if the make them happy, looks like stages read high good for your Zwift races XD).
Quote Reply

Prev Next