Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: East Coast Ladies of Slowtwitch Training Weekend [Nicole!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where are you located New York City and the Catskills
How far would you be willing to travel a few hours in the car, ie, NY state, New England, Pennsylvania
Suggestions for locations upstate NY or New England sound nice but maybe PA or somewhere a little further south? would be more in the middle, better for southerly types?
Suggestions for timing early October would be great as no conflicts w/summer races, if not thought of so much as focused training weekend but more fun & training weekend

This is a great idea! I said that before in my "intro" first post. Now I mean the weekend. Before I meant the womens forum.

- Mindy
Quote Reply
Re: East Coast Ladies of Slowtwitch Training Weekend [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's great to see so much interest here for an East Coast version of the ladies training weekend. The vast majority of people who have responded are from NYC/Boston/New England/New Jersey area. I know we can't find a way to make everyone happy, but I think we have to go with the numbers and find something that will work for the most people. So, who would be willing to commit to the following:

Date: October 9 to 13th
Cost: $60 - 70/night (just a rough guess at this point, but I don't think it would be more than this)

New Paltz is about 90 miles north of LaGuardia airpot and 70 miles south of Albany. I can find lots of possible vacation rentals in that area that will work for us. We'd need at least 8 to 10 people to commit before we can go ahead with this.

The added benefit of this timing and location is that it's also the weekend of American Zofingen.

Let me know if you'd be willing to commit to this now (ie. send a deposit). If you can't commit, then let me know that you're at least considering it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is SOOOO tempting! (Though I can't believe y'all want to go NORTH when it's cold! What's a native Georgian to do?!?)

I'm tentatively in (and will put in a deposit even if I end up not being able to make it -- may be a close-to-game-time decision) and would probably drive up from DC either the day before or very early (read:overnight) the morning of the 9th. If I end up going and if anyone wants to carpool, I'd be up for that. (I'd have room for one more bike on the roof-rack.) Or maybe Amtrak's an option ... though I'd likely have to change trains in NYC, and from experience, that's a disaster for me!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if my ex will trade weekends or I can bring Ben and Noah (10 and 12) I am in

---

cat
Sponsored by Suntheanine, Lycored and Celadrin
http://www.lycored.com/web/content/library.asp http://suntheanine.com/Research.cfm http://celadrin.com/pages/studies.php
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I don't do a Oct marathon, I might be interested in flying out for this... ;-) Esp since it looks like I will miss April in CA.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: East Coast Ladies of Slowtwitch Training Weekend [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll keep my fingers crossed that you can still make it in April. If you think about coming out for the East Coast version, you should really look into American Zofingen. Lots and lots of climbing, so I think it would be ideal for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Date: October 9 to 13th

Well shoot, I'll be in Kona.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: East Coast Ladies of Slowtwitch Training Weekend [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oooohhh - I forgot about that little race. Hmmmmm...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about some time when it's, you know, warm?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweet, I like climbing ;-)

re: April, yeah I really want to come, but it's working through arrangements with the ex. I gotta make sure K's taken care of first eh ;-)

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: East Coast Ladies of Slowtwitch Training Weekend [csb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about some time when it's, you know, warm?

I think it will be harder for people to come in the summer because of race season. I really thought the fall would be better. I think most people responded that fall is better for them schedule-wise too. That time of year in the 'gunks is absolutely beautiful with the leaves starting to turn color. The riding and running will be fabulous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds good to me as long as we don't have a Giant game. I'll commit better in 2 months when the schedule comes out!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
True. Though trying to schedule around racing season is going to be tough no matter what, unless you do it really early or really late in the year. You still have lots of races well into November, including B2B, IMFL, and IMAZ.

I thought we were originally thinking September. Is that off the table now?

(Oh, and I checked the temps for late September/early October for New Platz -- not too bad, but definitely knee warmers and long sleeves!)

And please know that I'm giving you a hard time just for the sake of doing it! You're a doll for putting this together! If I can get there relatively easily and I'm not underwater at work, I'm there!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
probly too close to IMAZ but will check it out & pm you if it's ok.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm willing to commit altho Oct in NY says no outdoor swimming to me.
Quote Reply
Re: East Coast Ladies of Slowtwitch Training Weekend [dreaming~big] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, that is well in advance of IM AZ. I think it would be a FABULOUS idea. If Dawn will be there, she can work you hard!

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would be in for a few days, doing AZ!!
Tamela
Quote Reply
Re: East Coast Ladies of Slowtwitch Training Weekend [csb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about August? My racing calender slows down in August and picks back up in September. Is this true for anyone else?
Quote Reply
Re: East Coast Ladies of Slowtwitch Training Weekend [njtrigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would totally be in! Don't know any of you, but sounds great. Also FYI I have a place in the Catskills, about an hour and a half (or maybe a little less) away from New Paltz... If anyone wanted to stay there I have room for a couple of people, probably. Might be a bit far but might be do-able.

Still a bunch of races I think in August around here...

Mindy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a good idea. I'd love to join in on some rides or runs if I can arrange babysitting for my little ones (ages 4 & 5), and can help with recommending a good course. I live in Gardiner, 5 minutes from New Paltz.

Laura
Quote Reply
Re: East Coast Ladies of Slowtwitch Training Weekend [janiceb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Janice, you might be surprised how swimmable it is in October. I remember specifically, I had a visitor (online friend) from the midwest in October and we had a lovely wetsuit free swim in Oct in Northern NJ.

My husband and I swam our lake up til November without wetsuits. Then...within a couple of weeks we were skating on it.

Anyway, I am pretty sure that with wetsuits swimming is a can-do. And if I get around to ordering that "spare wetsuit" I mentioned in another thread, I'll have a loaner in case someone's traveling light. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: East Coast Ladies of Slowtwitch Training Weekend [WeRide] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You swim sans wetsuit in Oct in NJ?!?! I'm jealous. Maybe I'm a wimp (quite likely, actually) but I swim at Walden Pond (Boston) and I can barely put my face in the water in late September. As the boys would say, HTFU....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't mean to hijack the thread and talk about water temp -- but yeah... it was cold but swimmable in October. I never really got into swimming in water that is so cold you *need a wetsuit. As you mentioned, one's face freezes regardles sof what's on the body.

IME, it matters what the circumstances are. Pumped up for a race, I can take the cold. Excited to have a friend to swim with in OW , who is in fact faster than me and gives me a challenge to keep up, I can take the cold. Flopping around doing laps on my own....not so much.

For a meeting with ST-ers I could take the cold. :-)

Which reminds me , has anyone thought of a code name for ST women, bitches on wheels or something more clever?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did an ocean swim in Oct. a couple years ago in Delaware for a race. I was one of the few that decided not to wear a wetsuit, but it was such a short swim it seemed silly. I was cold but it was okay.

It depends on what body of water we swim in. A small pond or lake can get cold quickly if the weather is cold. We will probably be able to swim in wetsuits in Oct. We are tough east coasters after all.
Quote Reply
Re: East Coast Ladies of Slowtwitch Training Weekend [njtrigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
We are tough east coasters after all.
Quote Reply

Prev Next