Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Eagleman swim? [flaniganrj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Why are you all continuing to debate this w/ H2OFUN. He is not going to concede even if he's dead wrong.
There is a long history of that archived here on ST. Its easy to criticize while playing Monday morning quarterback.
The RD put on an amazing event and dealt with the situation with amazing professionalism.

There is no such thing as a perfect event for everyone. CTA did a great job.

That is the issue, am I dead wrong, or dead right? Maybe you thought the race was run perfect, but from some who were their, do you call them monday morning quarterback.
The common issue I will keep beating on is any group, whether it is WTC or USAT or ITU who has done a poor job with rules. So far, the group that clearly needs the most improvement in how to write rules, with the needed details, is WTC from what I have seen a number of times. Not saying anything about if I agree with the rules changes, just how they are documented. But, I guess this little silly issue should just be ignored, right. :O)

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman swim? [ericM35-39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was inevitable that some would try and morph this into a "learn to swim" string. That's not the issue. If you're comfortable swimming without a wetsuit, good for you.

The issue is the lack of notice (and the lack of a contingency plan). People came to this event from cold water climates, like Rochester, where the water is too cold this early in the season to train in open water without a wetsuit (and unsafe to do so). They did so knowing that Eagleman has always been a wetsuit race, and believing that the USAT rule posted on the race site indicated that water temps between 78-82 would make it wetsuit optional w/o the chance for awards. People DID NOT KNOW that temps 78 or higher would turn it into a mandatory non-wetsuit swim for everyone. If they knew that, this thread wouldn't exist. How you interpret the Ironman rule, and then suggest someone else's alternative inerpretation is unreasonalbe, really highlights the issue. If people knew the water temps were hovering around 78, and that at 78 the swim would convert to mandatory non wetsuit for everyone, people would have saved money and planned accordingly.

At the pre-race meeting, the RD asked "how many of you are doing your first 70.3 race"? More than half raised their hands. It's no secret that this wasn't a field of 2200 elite athletes competing for a Kona spot. They marketed this event as an ideal first timer's race, and they confirmed that at the pre-race meeting, when they also confirmed it was a wetsuit swim.

Here are the questions no one seems able to answer: Why did the race director tell everyone on Saturday it would be a wetsuit swim and that the water was 76.something (to resounding applause amongst the racers in attendance)? How did the river heat up over 2 degrees overnight? Please, tell me how the river heated up over 2 degrees overnight.

Don't lead people to believe it's a wetsuit swim all along, including the day before the race, and then tell people while in transition a couple of hours before the swim starts that the water temp went up 2 degrees overnight, that the race is now non wetsuit for everyone, and that the 78-82 optional wetsuit/no award rule doesn't apply.

The reason people are upset about this is because they DIDN'T KNOW it could happen, and were being led to believe all along that it was a wetsuit swim. It's irrelevant whether you personally liked the RD's call or not, and it's irrelevant whether you think people should learn to swim better.

People had a right to know and plan accordingly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The RD put on an amazing event and dealt with the situation with amazing professionalism.

Ask the masses of DQ'ed people whether they agree.
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman swim? [Macho Grande] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Three Garmins had it 300 meters long and the current added to the swim disaster.

Bob

A swim which is 300 meters longer than anticipated constitutes a disaster? What is it like to live in a world of such profound hyperbole?
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman swim? [Skewer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It was inevitable that some would try and morph this into a "learn to swim" string. That's not the issue. If you're comfortable swimming without a wetsuit, good for you.

The issue is the lack of notice (and the lack of a contingency plan). People came to this event from cold water climates, like Rochester, where the water is too cold this early in the season to train in open water without a wetsuit (and unsafe to do so). They did so knowing that Eagleman has always been a wetsuit race, and believing that the USAT rule posted on the race site indicated that water temps between 78-82 would make it wetsuit optional w/o the chance for awards. People DID NOT KNOW that temps 78 or higher would turn it into a mandatory non-wetsuit swim for everyone. If they knew that, this thread wouldn't exist. How you interpret the Ironman rule, and then suggest someone else's alternative inerpretation is unreasonalbe, really highlights the issue. If people knew the water temps were hovering around 78, and that at 78 the swim would convert to mandatory non wetsuit for everyone, people would have saved money and planned accordingly.

At the pre-race meeting, the RD asked "how many of you are doing your first 70.3 race"? More than half raised their hands. It's no secret that this wasn't a field of 2200 elite athletes competing for a Kona spot. They marketed this event as an ideal first timer's race, and they confirmed that at the pre-race meeting, when they also confirmed it was a wetsuit swim.

Here are the questions no one seems able to answer: Why did the race director tell everyone on Saturday it would be a wetsuit swim and that the water was 76.something (to resounding applause amongst the racers in attendance)? How did the river heat up over 2 degrees overnight? Please, tell me how the river heated up over 2 degrees overnight.

Don't lead people to believe it's a wetsuit swim all along, including the day before the race, and then tell people while in transition a couple of hours before the swim starts that the water temp went up 2 degrees overnight, that the race is now non wetsuit for everyone, and that the 78-82 optional wetsuit/no award rule doesn't apply.

The reason people are upset about this is because they DIDN'T KNOW it could happen, and were being led to believe all along that it was a wetsuit swim. It's irrelevant whether you personally liked the RD's call or not, and it's irrelevant whether you think people should learn to swim better.

Great post, now will see if you can get any real, non emotional answers. And I thought it was just me who was interested in this mess. :o)

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman swim? [bloxomo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Ask the masses of DQ'ed people whether they agree.

Nah, if they had just learned to swim, they would not have had to worry about something simple like rules and processes. :o)

Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman swim? [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Three Garmins had it 300 meters long and the current added to the swim disaster.

Bob

A swim which is 300 meters longer than anticipated constitutes a disaster? What is it like to live in a world of such profound hyperbole?

When folks complain about the bike and run being a little off, what do you call a swim that is off around 15%? So, it would be okay if the bike was 64.4 miles and the run was 15 miles? Might has well make all the legs equally long.

Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman swim? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure if it's been posted, but these are the CURRENT Ironman wetsuit rules as posted on Ironman.com:

Until Sept. 1, 2010 there are no restrictions on the type of wetsuit worn, provided the water temperature is less than 78 degrees Fahrenheit. Athletes may choose to wear a wetsuit in water temperatures between 78 degrees Fahrenheit and 84 degrees Fahrenheit, with the understanding that they will not be eligible for awards, including World Championship slots. Wetsuits are prohibited in water temperature greater than 84 degrees Fahrenheit.
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman swim? [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Not sure if it's been posted, but these are the CURRENT Ironman wetsuit rules as posted on Ironman.com:

Until Sept. 1, 2010 there are no restrictions on the type of wetsuit worn, provided the water temperature is less than 78 degrees Fahrenheit. Athletes may choose to wear a wetsuit in water temperatures between 78 degrees Fahrenheit and 84 degrees Fahrenheit, with the understanding that they will not be eligible for awards, including World Championship slots. Wetsuits are prohibited in water temperature greater than 84 degrees Fahrenheit.

We would not want to worry about a little detail like what is a current rule, vs an old one. Great find!! Now, I wonder how they will mod this when it is 76 degree on Sept 1st. And I wonder why so many are saying this is not the rule and it was okay for eagleman to ignore it. Yes, if I were one of those 100 DQed folks, yep I would be all over ST pissed, but I just need to learn how to swim. :o)

Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman swim? [bloxomo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

5. Wetsuits are allowed for all athletes if the water is 78 degrees Fahrenheit or colder.

If you think that means that wetsuits aren't disallowed if the water is over 78, then you are living in an alternate universe.

Mathematically, "if" is not the same as "if and only if." "If the water is 78 or colder then wetsuits are allowed" doesn't state what happens when the water is above 78. It is still a true statement if the water is 79 degrees and wetsuits are allowed: a conditional statement is automatically true if its antecedent is false. "Wetsuits are allowed if and only if the water is 78 or colder" is quite clear.

Exactly why I referenced an alternate universe. It obviously isn't explicitly iff, but anyone living in this universe should understand that iff is implied.

I'm all for "say what you mean, mean what you say," but after 52 years I've come to the conclusion that it just isn't worth it to do that level of parsing. At some point, one profits by asking what was the intention of the statement.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Bob

When folks complain about the bike and run being a little off, what do you call a swim that is off around 15%? So, it would be okay if the bike was 64.4 miles and the run was 15 miles? Might has well make all the legs equally long.

Buoys do that all of the time. I used to lifeguard at the beach in San Diego. I've seen quite a few things which were supposedly buoyed move quite a bit with the current. It happens swim buoy locations are highly dynamic.

Run and bike turns are at fixed points. Unless the fixed points somehow move overnight due to an earthquake or some act of God, then I wouldn't expect the run course to change materially from one day to the next.

For a multiple turn-buoy swim course, where the buoys are placed in a dynamic, active, flowing river, I would assume 15% is well within the margin of error.
Last edited by: Flanagan: Jun 14, 10 11:07
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman swim? [Just Old Again] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
At some point, one profits by asking what was the intention of the statement.

You mean like how one profits by having racers spend lots of money at the event expo the day before the race/morning-of surprise announcement about the rule change?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm curious as to why no one has commented on the yellow buoys moving. I guess I am probably wrong to assume that most know they do not have to go around the yellow buoys but rather ony go around the turn buoys??? If you followed I could certainly see the extra yardage coming into play.

Congrats to Vigo on his decision and as "Not so" Slowterp said - preventing further peril
RD makes all decisions and is also therefore held personally accountable for anything that happens on course. Put that weight on your shoulders one morning with 2700 athletes about to race.

Lastly - head official did tell me in the morning she measured in 7 different places and she could not find legal temperature.

Did we have a new head official that plays by the rules? Ok we all know she does!!! Did they previously?

Is it a circumstance of know that it has been brought to the RD's attention he must adhere to rules or face some negligence issue if something happens?

We will never know what was going thru his mind that morning .... but I'm sure he made what he felt was the safest and smartest decision.

.... tin can ironman ....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

5. Wetsuits are allowed for all athletes if the water is 78 degrees Fahrenheit or colder.

If you think that means that wetsuits aren't disallowed if the water is over 78, then you are living in an alternate universe.

Mathematically, "if" is not the same as "if and only if." "If the water is 78 or colder then wetsuits are allowed" doesn't state what happens when the water is above 78. It is still a true statement if the water is 79 degrees and wetsuits are allowed: a conditional statement is automatically true if its antecedent is false. "Wetsuits are allowed if and only if the water is 78 or colder" is quite clear.

Exactly why I referenced an alternate universe. It obviously isn't explicitly iff, but anyone living in this universe should understand that iff is implied.

I'm all for "say what you mean, mean what you say," but after 52 years I've come to the conclusion that it just isn't worth it to do that level of parsing. At some point, one profits by asking what was the intention of the statement.

In this case the intention was made unclear by other links (at least the Event FAQ, Key Race Info, and Most Common Violations) that quoted the standard USAT rule.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Quote:

You mean like how one profits by having racers spend lots of money at the event expo the day before the race/morning-of surprise announcement about the rule change?

(I have no clue what this means, unless you are suggesting that people bought wetsuits the day before a half ironman? Talk about lack of preparation)

Why is it that people assume that, because it's never happened before, a race is always wetsuit legal? I just don't understand this mindset. Be prepared: the Choptank isn't the St. Lawrence River. Every triathlon has the possibility of odd weather, including water that is way beyond normal temperatures. Deal with it and stop whining. Nothing in any set of rules anyone comes up with says that a race is guaranteed to be wetsuit legal or illegal. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman swim? [Gnome Express] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm curious as to why no one has commented on the yellow buoys moving. I guess I am probably wrong to assume that most know they do not have to go around the yellow buoys but rather ony go around the turn buoys??? If you followed I could certainly see the extra yardage coming into play.

Congrats to Vigo on his decision and as "Not so" Slowterp said - preventing further peril
RD makes all decisions and is also therefore held personally accountable for anything that happens on course. Put that weight on your shoulders one morning with 2700 athletes about to race.

Lastly - head official did tell me in the morning she measured in 7 different places and she could not find legal temperature.

Did we have a new head official that plays by the rules? Ok we all know she does!!! Did they previously?

Is it a circumstance of know that it has been brought to the RD's attention he must adhere to rules or face some negligence issue if something happens?

We will never know what was going thru his mind that morning .... but I'm sure he made what he felt was the safest and smartest decision.

.... tin can ironman ....

So, based on the officials measurement on race morning, who measured the day before and got 2 degrees cooler? Can you say 77.9. Thank you USAT official for doing your job correctly!!!

Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman swim? [bushpilot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I won't complain about the rule interpretation of USAT VS WTC.
I went and did packet pickup around 3:30 on Saturday and no one mention water temp or westsuit over there
I did a practice swim Saturday around 5:30 PM and that water was really warm I would say 80 at least once you warm up it felt really hot.
After that practice swim I knew a wetsuit swim was not happening.
Here somebody didn't told the truth about water temp on Saturday or just as they anounnce on Sunday they were not prepare on how to know who was wearing a wetsuit and who was not.
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman swim? [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh for crying out loud, this is ST, I get my hyperbole. In the grand scheme of things, this is really only comparable to the Gulf DIsaster and, perhaps, the death of Michael JAckson.

And,the "disaster" was mostly a personal once since I, uh, got off course twice an, uh, swam a good it slower than I thought I would.

Bob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Quote:

(I have no clue what this means, unless you are suggesting that people bought wetsuits the day before a half ironman? Talk about lack of preparation)

Why is it that people assume that, because it's never happened before, a race is always wetsuit legal? I just don't understand this mindset. Be prepared: the Choptank isn't the St. Lawrence River. Every triathlon has the possibility of odd weather, including water that is way beyond normal temperatures. Deal with it and stop whining. Nothing in any set of rules anyone comes up with says that a race is guaranteed to be wetsuit legal or illegal. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

Participants would evaluate those chances differently for no-wetsuits-over-78 vs. no-wetsuits-over-84. One might register for an event if one figured there was a 1 in 100 chance of not being allowed to wear a wetsuit but not if there was a 1 in 20 chance. Thus the need for explaining the rules clearly beforehand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Why is it that people assume that, because it's never happened before, a race is always wetsuit legal? I just don't understand this mindset. Be prepared: the Choptank isn't the St. Lawrence River. Every triathlon has the possibility of odd weather, including water that is way beyond normal temperatures. Deal with it and stop whining. Nothing in any set of rules anyone comes up with says that a race is guaranteed to be wetsuit legal or illegal. You pays your money and you takes your chances. "

Exactly. I keep coming back to the question of why everyone is so worked up over the fact that wetsuits weren't allowed. If you go to a race which historically has been wetsuit legal, but is not the day you show up, is that the RD's fault? No. There is no guarantee that any race will be wetsuit legal (other than Alcatraz, but you get my point).

Now, I understand that if Vigo stated on Saturday that it would be wetsuit legal, then changed that on race morning, people may have a legitimate gripe about being misled, etc. I would tend to agree with that, since the water temps likely don't increase overnight and perhaps he should't make such absolute statements if there was ANY chance they would not hold true. Also, the announcements yesterday morning clearly stated that they weren't allowing the "optional wetsuits swim" because they would have no way of telling who wore one and who didn't for purposes of awards, slots, etc. Again, probably not a legit excuse and definitely something that could be dealt with via some advance planning.

However, with all that said, I simply think each athlete needs to show up for any race prepared to swim w/o a wetsuit. Look, I suck at swimming and had a 45 minute swim yesterday. Would I have preferred using my wetsuit? Of course. But after swimming in the river on Friday, I definitely thought there was a good chance they'd scrap the wetuits. It was just too freaking warm to do the 1.2 miles in a fullsuit. Some posters have said that the decision to swim naked ruined people's races because they had to expend so much more energy, but I think just as much damage could have been done if it was a wet suit swim and people started overheating before they even got to the bike. No matter what teh case, there will always be people who are not happy.

On a positive note, I think the race was well run and CTA puts on a great event. The conditions were pretty tough in all three disciplines so whether you had the race of your life or just finished, it was a good effort and congrats to you. Personally, I will be signing up for another Eagleman.

I proudly DO NOT post my workouts on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman swim? [BigBloke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Long or what?

Everybody are slower than usual....

Seems unlikely that it was particularly long. Tri Columbia tend to know what they're doing.
Far more likely to have been due to current and possibly chop. When it's long people tend to go a similar percentage slower than normal, regardless of speed, but when there is current the slower swimmers spend a disproportionate amount of extra time swimming into the current, so they swim further than the fast folk, and thus their times are disproportionately slower, which seems to be born out in the results today.

To turn our attention back to something perhaps more productive than arguing about whether CTA did a good job of explaining/following rules yesterday...

What exactly was the deal with the current yesterday? I see that high tide was at 5:43am. Were we swimming into a strong outgoing tide? And I did not notice any difference on the inbound leg -- were we swimming the wrong way around an eddy?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Someone's purported ignorance of the rule that day is analagous to racing a bike course you have never seen, and trusting that all the turns will be clearly marked and marshaled. They trust that the RD and his deputies will bail them out by telling them where to turn and if not, then they better hope they get it right. Exactly that scenario happened a couple of years ago at Columbia when Chris McCormack and a couple of other leading men rode off the course because they didn't know a turn and no marshal happened to be standing there. To their credit, they acknowledged their responsibility: stuff happens sometimes. It's up to the athlete to know the rules before race day.

In Reply To:

I don't know. I was not there. Giving you the benefit of any doubt, look to my earlier post on the process of measuring water temperature in the day before and the morning of the race. Can the water change two degrees overnight? I have no idea (physicists and meterologists, help!). Maybe they took a bad reading the day before? Maybe someone dumped an ice chest 10 meters away from where they dropped the thermometer. Who knows? What every athlete should know is that the ruling is not carved in stone until race time, and then it is the head referee's call, without regard to anything the RD did, or did not, say at the meeting the day before.

In Reply To:

See above. That is exactly the procedure called for in the rules. Yes, it is rare. In fact I have never seen it changed from the day before the race, but that is what's called for if the temp is 78 or above.

In Reply To:

I would take your statement and turn it around: people have a responsibility to plan accordingly, including the foreseeable possibility (not certainty, not even likelihood, but the possibility) that they would not be permitted to wear a wetsuit. It seems like you did not have the Eagleman experience you were hoping for, so that is always disappointing and you have my sympathy for that. But if your disappointment is based solely on having your wetsuit taken from you in transition on race morning, then I think it is sorely misplaced.
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman swim? [GIO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Now, I understand that if Vigo stated on Saturday that it would be wetsuit legal, then changed that on race morning, people may have a legitimate gripe about being misled, etc. I would tend to agree with that, since the water temps likely don't increase overnight and perhaps he shouldn't make such absolute statements if there was ANY chance they would not hold true. Also, the announcements yesterday morning clearly stated that they weren't allowing the "optional wetsuits swim" because they would have no way of telling who wore one and who didn't for purposes of awards, slots, etc. Again, probably not a legit excuse and definitely something that could be dealt with via some advance planning.

On a positive note, I think the race was well run and CTA puts on a great event. The conditions were pretty tough in all three disciplines so whether you had the race of your life or just finished, it was a good effort and congrats to you. Personally, I will be signing up for another Eagleman.

Does anyone know what the water temp was on Saturday? That would give us an idea if it went up 2 degrees or not. I've read a lot of people state it was warm. It probably should have been posted at Registration to give everyone an idea/expectation if it would have been wetsuit legal or not. Then race morning, you can bring your wetsuit or not when the final decision is made.

"The men who try to do something and fail, are infinitely better off than those who try to do nothing and succeed." Lloyd James
Last edited by: Tri-Bum: Jun 14, 10 12:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed.

Vigo is one of the top RDs in the country. He made the right call based on the rules and situation at the time of the race.

------------------------------------------
http://twitter.com/tridave

| Bonzai Sports | Blue Seventy | First Endurance |
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman swim? [ElGordo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Someone's purported ignorance of the rule...

Back to the argument...

How are we supposed to be aware of a rule that is never stated? And don't point to the "Race Rules" because, as I mentioned above, it does not logically follow from that statement that wetsuits are disallowed at temperatures above 78.
Quote Reply

Prev Next