Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]

anybody else running out of popcorn?
I need a cerveza (or three) Negro Modelo please - icy cold with lime. It's 5 o'clock some where :-|

I think I just do a rolling feed of this thread and sit on my trainer and watch. Who needs soap operas, when you've got this thread?

Maybe I'll sprint every other posting as they fly by; kinda like a Tabata workout. (no long boring posts please - for my legs sake)

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [tri-run] [ In reply to ]

Jordan's participation on ST is mutually beneficial, I don't see it requires additional compensation beyond that.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]

When and how was the first claim/assertion made?

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]

Rappstar wrote:
chicanery wrote:
dev, this is not correct.

There are two failure modes. One is the seat post slipping, which would be generally non-catastrophic.
The other failure is with the pivot on the beam. The difference between the Dimond design and the original Zipp is that the Zipp had both the pivot, AND an m5 bolt. Normally that bolt is not under much load, unless the pivot were to fail. Then it would be under an enormous load and would probably fail. Steel bolt into a steel cam/pivot system into a threaded steel shaft into aluminum epoxied into the frame.

If the Dimond pivot fails, the beam comes off. You will crash. If the carbon AT the pivot fails, the beam will come off, and you will crash.

Since I was fixing a defect in the seat post area of my beam, I also added 3 layers of UD carbon to the pivot area on each side of my beam. It's not a terrible design, but Jordan is right that the tolerances must be extremely tight, and that Dimond's QC is not good enough in that respect.

Correct. This is my exact assertion. And one that I expressed to Dimond on multiple occasions well in advance in of making my statement here. And I have records of that.

The statement in bold there are a lot of if's. Could we not say the same about failure of any frame member on a conventional bike. If my head tube fails or fork fails, I crash. And so on.

The point here, is that it is just conjecture by Chicanery and Jordan that the pivot MIGHT fail. Did you do the destructive testing etc etc to determine that, or was it a random guess based on your engineering intuition. My engineering intuition at visual inspection suggests lots of products MIGHT fail, however, the engineers working at those companies have the design-test-validation-field testing and released products to the public based on much more thorough testing than us consumers. In this thread, Colin Laughery posted TJ's statement that Dimond has not had any field failures.

Where all all these Dimond field failures?

I get it that Jordan is an engineer but to my best knowledge his field of engineering is not designing bikes. Maybe Dimond cut some corners, maybe their testing is not up to others, or maybe their QA is bad or maybe none of that. But in spite of all of that their bikes can be safe for riding even if they creak or they MIGHT look like they could explode.

I like both Jordan and TJ and it is no secret that I have been a fan of what he is doing with his bikes. Early in this thread, I wished the thread would just go away and the gentleman would resolve the dispute offline from lawyers and the internet.

But I see zero proof so far that the bikes are unsafe so I am being the pain in the ass guy asking for the proof. Can they do better on attention to detail and finer craftmanship? Seems like after some growing pains a lot of owners are saying they are.

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [ck21trhc] [ In reply to ]

It's clear that this is a PISSING MATCH, no other reason for the initial post...pull the pin lob the grenade and see what happens. The more this continues...the more both sides come out looking equally bad and guilty. I suspect somebody called someone a name and it turned into the "F&#$ You" game. It's unfortunate, because I think a lot of people will or already have changed their views and opinions of both parties as a result of this incident.

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]

DFW_Tri wrote:
If I were Jordan, I would also be thinking about, what will a potential juror think of a gofundme account used for the legal defense. that may be admissible.

How would that be relevant? Yes, seeking funds to pay attorney's fees and costs may not be privileged, but how does that make a material fact more or less likely?

Say I get sued for negligence. I can't afford the defense, so I ask my parents for assistance? Is that relevant? How does that get before a jury. Say my parents don't have the funds, so in a desperation, I turn to gofundme. Has is that any different?

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [sharkbaitguy] [ In reply to ]

This is a great example of how a company should not treat somebody it 'supports', and how that somebody should not treat the company 'supporting'. Its bonkers - you wash your laundry behind closed doors, or the only people that win are the lawyers. I am not donating simply because this should have been sorted behind closed doors, and its currently only hurting the sport we all take part in and love. Sort yourselves out.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.

milesthedog wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
If I were Jordan, I would also be thinking about, what will a potential juror think of a gofundme account used for the legal defense. that may be admissible.

I imagine you're referring to this post: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6292359#p6292359

I agree, you can probably bank on a juror in Iowa (or anywhere for that matter) falling into the resource-deficient camp and not quite understanding why a Princeton trained engineer who lives in a pretty nice area north of LA is asking for public financial support. It puzzles me - but then, I provided my best analysis of the motive driven value system that could lead to the decision to set up a gofundme campaign.

time heals everything in this hyper-paced digital world... well, time and silence. I'd opt for the latter right now and let the prior just happen and let Dan write his story.

As I asked before, how is requesting assistance to defend against a lawsuit relevant to any material fact of the case? Because if it's not, it doesn't get before your hypothetical biased juror.

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [lovegoat] [ In reply to ]

Wow. I really thought when I came home from work and checked this post that the thread would be pulled.
I agree that I don't see any good coming from this on either side. I was surprised it was here and even more surprised by the length and content.
I am also surprised by the lack of support for Jordan. He seemed like the golden boy of ST.
I think if Jordan had asked for help with his case but not put all the in-depth stuff about Dimond that maybe it would have had a better response

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]

Get on the phone with each other...... and work this out because every day this is going on....you both are losing credibility and buisness......and it will cost both of you financially.

I have deal with dimond and only had great services. The bikes had some issues and saying they are perfect isnt true. I have witness some issue/cracks etc. But i would not say they were unsafe or bad bike. i actually have a very positive outlook at the bike and company.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]

Because it's posted on the internet and the post that goes with the request is crawling with discoverable and admissible information. Maybe the judge would make them scrub the funding part of the posting; maybe not. If I gave it some more thought I could probably articulate at least an argument as to why the funds themselves *may be* admissible

Jordan may have discussed the pros and cons of this with his attorney. I don't know.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Apr 27, 17 13:40

True.

it is sitting before us, though.

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram

None of that means it gets before a jury.

It's no more admissible than the fact that Dimond here is, in comparison, can afford its own attorney's fees.

milesthedog wrote:
True.

it is sitting before us, though.

Fortunately, none of us will ever be on that jury, if it ever gets there.

Here we go

http://trstriathlon.com/...jordan-rapps-claims/

Follow me on Twitter @CK21TRHC
I use what I love: ISM, Blue70, Trek, FLO

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [earthling] [ In reply to ]

earthling wrote:
This is a great example of how a company should not treat somebody it 'supports', and how that somebody should not treat the company 'supporting'. Its bonkers - you wash your laundry behind closed doors, or the only people that win are the lawyers. I am not donating simply because this should have been sorted behind closed doors, and its currently only hurting the sport we all take part in and love. Sort yourselves out.

Agree...DO THE RIGHT THING and CUSTOMER SERVICE "should" be the core values of any business that wants to succeed.

How much money is really involved? How much more will be wasted on legal fees? Both parties should sack up walk away, move on and donate the legal fees to a cause that is worth something rather than the YOU PISSED IN MY CHEERIOS contest they started.

Wasn't that pretty much posted earlier in this thread.

And didn't Jordan claim that he did in fact notify Dimond of his concerns prior to the lawsuit being filed, claiming to have documentary evidence. I believe he mentioned that here. If that's the case, then someone's not being honest.

I understand that people have lost respect for Jordan, primarily on account of his prior endorsement of a product he not claims wasn't satisfactory. He seems to have owned up to that, at least to a point.

I would also assume people have lost respect for Dimond, not based on the merits of its lawsuit, but because it overreached in filing the suit in the first place. Prior to the lawsuit, it had not suffered any damages other than the loss of a sponsored athlete, a few bikes, and some sponsorship fees, most of which Jordan had allegedly offered to return and pay back. Rather than trying to settle the matter, apparently, they chose instead to file a lawsuit, demanding a ridiculous amount in damages. And the lawsuit triggered Jordan's public response regarding the integrity of their product, something that he apparently would not have done but for the lawsuit.

If I were a professional or elite triathlete, I would never sign up with Dimond.

And this is all about shitty beam bikes. Fuck!

TRS is about 3 hours late. This response was an email sent to all Dimond club members.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6292306#p6292306

blog

400 posts, and no official thread name yet?

- DimondGate
- TJ and the Beam
- Boy Named Sue
- Rappture

Whatcha got?

--------------------------------------------
TEAM F3 Undurance

Put on your plaintiff's attorney hat for a moment.

That statement was absolutely NOT written but TJ but instead the legal team. Nevertheless, I'm going to venture to say that Jordan's lawyers will have a field day doing discovery and taking depositions on this gem:

Quote:
No customer who has purchased a production bicycle has advised Dimond of any failure in a bicycle that has resulted in any safety incident.

So many caveats, loopholes, etc. Off the top of my head I can think of 10-15 document requests and I've been out of the litigation game/sport for 10+ years.

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [Multisportsdad] [ In reply to ]

Multisportsdad wrote:

- DimondGate
- TJ and the Beam
- Boy Named Sue
- Rappture

Whatcha got?

They'll have a hard time coming up with something better than finman. If only Rapp had made some reference to a gorilla suit.

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [Multisportsdad] [ In reply to ]

Multisportsdad wrote:

- DimondGate
- TJ and the Beam
- Boy Named Sue
- Rappture

Whatcha got?

Dimond gets a bad Rapp?

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"

Re: Dimond Is Suing Me. I'm Asking For Your Help. [earthling] [ In reply to ]

earthling wrote:
This is a great example of why you shouldn't try to control someone's voice through a contract.

If they brought Rapp as a representative but gave him free reign to promote or criticize the product, it would've lit a fire under their asses to fix any perceived shortcomings. Sure it might've put a damper on the initial enthusiasm for the bike. But if it's not genuine then you eventually get to the implosion we're seeing now.

DFW_Tri wrote:
Put on your plaintiff's attorney hat for a moment.

Problem is that the vast majority of plaintiff's attorneys are shitty attorneys. YOu might as well ask me to put on my workers' comp atty hat.

Prev Next