Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was it really on direct orders of WTC, or a result of the fact that there were no points to be had? Not arguing, just asking.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
YO mortaaay wrote:
Is cool to see a BMX'er out there.. He really should go for XTERRA, i bet he would slay.. Go DAVE!!

Xterra world's shoe in. Heck, he might even have a shot at an OA podium if he can get his swim squared away. You've got to think Dave could hang with Stoltz on the bike especially if it was very technical, no?

hahahaha he could not hang with stoltz on the bike. i think your underestimating how intense competitive mountain biking is! freestyle bmx is nothing like xc mountain biking .
Last edited by: FKDUPJ: Jul 26, 15 22:11
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:

I think he just needs a lot more run fitness and that can take time.

+1

I am learning this myself. I should have ran track and cross country growing up. Now I am playing catch-up at 41. Ugh...

Formerly TriBrad02
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! [FastGMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FastGMan wrote:
Was it really on direct orders of WTC, or a result of the fact that there were no points to be had? Not arguing, just asking.

I suppose it depends on perspective. The WTC took away money and KPR for the pros. Any pro would still be allowed to do the race, but not as a pro. They would be in the AG race (and I believe still not eligible for awards).

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! [Run For Money] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Run For Money wrote:
He's gonna need the "celeb slot", glad he is bringing some small additional attention to Ironman. But this is what I dislike about this sport, there are so many AG'ers that work harder with a full time job/kids/family and are trying for a KQ. With no real attention or real spotlight, common man could and does throw down that time that Dave Mirra just did without all the fancy bike/equipment/hype/ spotlight/twitter/wind tunnel/instagram updates.

(End of rant). Carry on
I have to agree. He seems like a great guy but there are a lot of great athletes working like a dog for a Kona spot. It's nice he has all the support but if he gets a celebrity spot I think they should give one to everyone in his age group who finished ahead of him.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! [Ty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea, but they're not Dave Mirra.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly. I think he has the potential to qualify if he sticks with it, which he seems motivated to. Qualifying on the first try is a really difficult thing to do. Despite all your training, you can never simulate what that run is going to feel like. He will learn from this race (and I'm sure his coach, who is one of the best out there, will analyze it with him) and make appropriate adjustments for next time.

Quote | Reply
5th AG 40-44 swim1:16/bike5:17/run:3:30 good for 10:09 and took the 4th of 5 spots given to that age group. Dave needs more run experience then yards in the pool.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! [homeloans365] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its all about the run........

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Its all about the run........

yes it is.

But Dave Mirra clearly overbiked......

And just had really nothing for the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My thoughts exactly. If I would have put up that bike with that run my coach would have slapped the shit out of me. After he DNFed the Raleigh 70.3 I would have expected a more balanced performance.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! [7ofClubs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just spoke with him and his run performance was really about nutrition. He made a last minute decision to change it and paid the price. Almost immediately on the run he started having stomach pain and had to duck into portajohns. Sounds like it derailed his whole run and as much as that sucks, nutrition is just as much a part of a good plan and he knows that. Oh well. Lesson learned for next time.

Cheers,

thechromedome
http://www.favoritefinishlines.blogspot.com
http://www.cupcakecartel.org
My 20% off code for 2018 FS Series races: tricred18
"there are no drafters in heaven" - C Bonner
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! [thechromedome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thechromedome wrote:
I just spoke with him and his run performance was really about nutrition. He made a last minute decision to change it and paid the price. Almost immediately on the run he started having stomach pain and had to duck into portajohns. Sounds like it derailed his whole run and as much as that sucks, nutrition is just as much a part of a good plan and he knows that. Oh well. Lesson learned for next time.

Cheers,

What ever feels better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Run For Money wrote:
thechromedome wrote:

Cheers,

What ever feels better.

Oh Lord. Obfuscating ones results isn't how to improve.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only way to improve is to be honest with your own results.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
Not very many < 10 hr finishes today.

Was it a 'slow' day for some reason? Or just not as competitive as in years past?

Dunno why everybody is all over DM for biking a 5:06 - that's not absurdly fast or anything, and he's a very strong biker.
Granted, he died on the run, but does he run an hour faster if he bikes 5-10-15 minutes slower?
Probably not.

He needs to be able to run 3:30-ish off the bike, to have a reasonable shot at KQ.

On some courses that's a pretty conservative split for a stud biker. But on IMLP, just from comparing the splits to others, that seems to be quite fast for this course.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do you know that didn't affect his run to the degree he says it did? Armchair quarterbacking someone else's race isn't usually a particularly effective or helpful gesture.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
How do you know that didn't affect his run to the degree he says it did? Armchair quarterbacking someone else's race isn't usually a particularly effective or helpful gesture.

You do realize this is ST, right?
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! [thechromedome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
11:00 h im seems pretty legit to me.
Congratulations Dave!
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tessar wrote:
On some courses that's a pretty conservative split for a stud biker. But on IMLP, just from comparing the splits to others, that seems to be quite fast for this course.

Looks like he was first off the bike in his age group after having left the water in 86th place. If that's not one hell of a bike split, I'm not sure what is.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
tessar wrote:

Looks like he was first off the bike in his age group after having left the water in 86th place. If that's not one hell of a bike split, I'm not sure what is.

Combine that with having a flat at mile 98 makes it a bit more impressive as well. Not sure if he rode in the last 14 miles on the flat or had to stop and change it but there certainly was time lost in either case.

YMMV,

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tessar wrote:
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
Not very many < 10 hr finishes today.

Was it a 'slow' day for some reason? Or just not as competitive as in years past?

Dunno why everybody is all over DM for biking a 5:06 - that's not absurdly fast or anything, and he's a very strong biker.
Granted, he died on the run, but does he run an hour faster if he bikes 5-10-15 minutes slower?
Probably not.

He needs to be able to run 3:30-ish off the bike, to have a reasonable shot at KQ.

It is pretty fast for LP. But not out of the realm of what very good AG bikers can do there.
In 2011, after the World's Worst Swim, I biked 5:09 at LP, and only rode an IF of .69 to do it.
And while I'm a pretty decent rider, I'm most definitely not Dave F'n Mirra.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He had the 2nd fastest split on the day
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! [IronStork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With a flat tire.
Say what you want. Thats fast.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! [IronStork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IronStork wrote:
He had the 2nd fastest split on the day

Big whoop.

There were NO Pros there.
*Somebody* had to have the fastest bike splits. By default. And it had to be AG'ers - by default.

Perhaps a former Pro rider is a good choice for a likely culprit to do that?

My point was, and remains - that's not an absurdly fast bike split for a strong AG cyclist at LP.

Did he overbike? Maybe, maybe not.
He DEFINITELY under-ran after the bike.

PS - The guy who had the fastest bike split, I used to routinely out-bike when we raced head to head (back a few years ago, when I was in shape).
He looks to have upped his overall game since then, but still - he's a 45-49 guy - that's a VERY solid bike split, but not otherworldly.
Pros routinely go :30+ minutes faster than that on the bike at LP.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply

Prev Next