Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! Make That IMMT! [zachboring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks that way. Know whats up chromedome?
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! Make That IMMT! [Printer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So he's more like Macca now, than Starky, it seems.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! Make That IMMT! [donzist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aaaaaand that's a wrap. Pulled out during the last leg of the bike. He felt he was riding within himself.....average HR of 131 which is below the 135 bpm he was planning on, 140s on the climbs. Legs just weren't recovered after LP. Dammit. Knew it would be a tough thing to pull off 3 weeks after LP but hats off to him for giving it a go.

Til next time!

Cheers,

thechromedome
http://www.favoritefinishlines.blogspot.com
http://www.cupcakecartel.org
My 20% off code for 2018 FS Series races: tricred18
"there are no drafters in heaven" - C Bonner
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! Make That IMMT! [thechromedome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In his wife's words: "well, at least he's gonna learn the lessons the hard way, which is a good thing cuz then they'll stick!"

Cheers,

thechromedome
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! Make That IMMT! [thechromedome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not one to criticize as I know he has a good coach, but targeting a HR cap seems odd to me. Most people use power and then HR as a secondary metric to keep tabs on nutrition/hydration/etc. Seems odd to do it the other way. I don't think that played into his result today just an interesting observation. He should have just given it some time before another go.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! Make That IMMT! [zachboring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No matter his background, he simply doesn't have the durability to pull off FINISHING two ironmans in two weeks. Let alone positioning himself for a KQ. The best AGers in the sport would struggle with such an attempt.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess he should have done Cabo, eh?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
is that normal? to not even attempt to begin the run?
guess he knows his body
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! Make That IMMT! [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my opinion he doesn't have what it takes to properly pace himself or endure an IM right now. He has a long way to go in order to qualify. I think part of it is in his head. How many races has he quit this year? He swims poorly, he clearly over-bikes to make up ground, and hasn't shown anyone he can pull off a run worthy of punching his ticket. I give him credit for taking the real route to Kona and hope he can pull it together, but for what I've seen he certainly has work to do. Hope he learns something from today.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! Make That IMMT! [Raw Oyster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has he ever "finished" an IM? Seriously has he? I'm not being a SA, but isn't that part of the process, proving to yourself you can do it
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! Make That IMMT! [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah he did 11:00 in IMLP a couple weeks ago.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! Make That IMMT! [snaaijert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Forgot good point
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most do the race just to finish. Dave seems ultra competitive. If he is goal driven and his main goal is to be competitive.....then perhaps he pulls out when he realizes that his goal is out of reach. This goes against popular 'Never Give Up' ideologies however, its only giving up if he never does another race. Maybe he realized that he screwed up and is smart enough to stop while he isnt too far blasted for a decent recovery soon. Then he can come back for more.

He obviously has alot to learn about the sport, pacing and strategy but to put it in perspective.....how many races has he actually done? I see people that have been doing this sport for 10+ years making similar mistakes....even pros making those mistakes.

"WHEW...I really regret that workout!"..............Noone
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
winchester wrote:
Has he ever "finished" an IM? Seriously has he? I'm not being a SA, but isn't that part of the process, proving to yourself you can do it

Have you?

I finished B2B 09 but then DNF'd Louisville 2010 and Cozumel 2013.

Sometimes it takes a little bit of figuring out how to manage the dark spots.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! Make That IMMT! [Raw Oyster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Raw Oyster wrote:
In my opinion he doesn't have what it takes to properly pace himself or endure an IM right now. (A) He has a long way to go in order to qualify. (B) I think part of it is in his head. (C) How many races has he quit this year? (D) He swims poorly (E), he clearly over-bikes to make up ground (F), and hasn't shown anyone he can pull off a run worthy of punching his ticket (G). I give him credit for taking the real route to Kona and hope he can pull it together, (I) but for what I've seen he certainly has work to do. (J) Hope he learns something from today (K) .

A. In his defense, I believe he proved in IM LP that he can endure an IM even with his current fitness, pacing and nutrtion. 99% certainly wouldn't be able to wing a 11hour IM in your first attempt.
B. The head game comes down to seeing that no individual split required to KQ is out of the ordinary. Meaning swimming at 1:05, biking at 5:05 and running a 3:30 all seem manageable on paper. He's more than capable of all of these. You just can't train for what happens at hour 7 of the race, you have to experience it.
C. Again in his defense, if his main goal was to KQ this year he has every reason to pull out of races. But he is missing out on a lot of experience. With today, he could technically race again very soon. If he would have walked it in at 12-13 hours that would have been off the table.
D. 1:09 is not great, and teethering on the edge of being a deal breaker. I would be more concerned that with a lack of swim base he is probably losing a lot of energy on the swim. if he swims 20K a week, he may only get down to 1:07 but would be a lot fresher.
E. He's not over biking, he is biking as fast as he can to put himself in an outside position to KQ. If he bikes 10 minutes slower, he'd have to run a 3:15. There's really no option for him to bike any slower. I don't think he has the fastest bike split or Swim + bike combo in his AG.
F. I think his fastest 70.3 runs, 13.1 races, 10Ks, and practice runs show's he can pull it off.
G. Me too...
I. true...
J. true...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zach, I have recently started using HR to pace over PM. I still use the PM however, its just something I check secondary to my HR. The reason is that I get way too amped for a race. My background of Football and Sprinting just takes over and I find myself chasing or trying to stay at that power number even if my HR is at 180! Just too aggressive! So I started focusing on that HR number and getting it back down to where it should be 150-160...and then, only after I get my HR settled do I see where my power numbers are. It has seemed to help. i wouldnt be surprised if this may be the strategy DM coach gave him...because it seems Dave is also a very aggressive competitor. And thats just a hunch.

"WHEW...I really regret that workout!"..............Noone
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zachboring wrote:
I'm not one to criticize as I know he has a good coach, but targeting a HR cap seems odd to me. Most people use power and then HR as a secondary metric to keep tabs on nutrition/hydration/etc. Seems odd to do it the other way. I don't think that played into his result today just an interesting observation. He should have just given it some time before another go.

Not really, HR is still a very valuable metric to follow especially for an IM.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thechromedome wrote:
That's absolutely right, and precisely what makes this exciting to watch!

Cheers,

I suppose if you are a fan of fantasy.

Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! Make That IMMT! [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think they go hand in hand. But to me HR is an output and power an input.

I'm not saying you should blow past your hr numbers and go on like situation normal. But a lot influences your HR. This isn't to say you can't be successful off HR as many people do it (and to much faster times than me) that's just my thoughts.
Last edited by: zachboring: Aug 16, 15 13:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HR is output, buts it's one that is reflective of your bodies condition that day and accounts for external conditions as well in regards to temperature.

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! Make That IMMT! [B Bartels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing bad should be happening at hour 7 of your race,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like I said, pieces of a puzzle. But you typically don't see people using power this way. Why have power during the race then? Really no point in looking at it if you aren't adjusting for it except for after the fact analyzation.

If you know your power should be X at approximately Y HR, and your HR is sky high you adjust back on the power and anlyze your hydration and nutrition intake to that point. If your power is normal and HR low, you don't crank up the power because your feeling good. It just doesn't work that way and you will crack if you push too hard.

HR and power alone paint an incomplete picture. Both together allow you to really think about what is going on with your body while competing. Relying on a specific target for either is a strategy, bUT not an optimal one in my mind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All true and he uses them hand in hand for sure. I feel like maybe there's more focus on whether or not he was using the metric that way or not, which I guess is my fault if the way I stated it comes off that way. The man knows his power and HR numbers and how to use that data. Let's remember he has a great coach in Cliff English. And he can put down a great run from what I've seen and shared on the road with him. Having not done a marathon prior is his method and until he throws down a perfect race there's gonna be skepticism for sure. But for those that have had that kind of race probably had some that weren't first. Let's allow him that, huh?

Cheers,

thechromedome
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just find all the hype surrounding him odd, I had no clue who he was a year ago and now that I do see no reason why at this point he's a real contender to KQ beyond the marketing of him.

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave Mirra is a legend outside of Triathlon. He won many X Games medals in BMX

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply

Prev Next