Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
I'd imagine he'd be a shoo-in for a celebrity slot, if he wanted to get in that way.

He was already offered a celeb spot and declined. He said the only way he goes would be if he earned it.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is cool to see a BMX'er out there.. He really should go for XTERRA, i bet he would slay.. Go DAVE!!
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! [thechromedome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's somewhere at mile 23 on the run. Looks like a 10+ hr im.
Maybe 10:25 ..
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! [YO mortaaay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YO mortaaay wrote:
Is cool to see a BMX'er out there.. He really should go for XTERRA, i bet he would slay.. Go DAVE!!

Has been fun to follow him he's about the nicest guy ever I had a chat with him about 10 years ago waiting on a flight. Guy seems to have a more headroom to bump the speed hope he keeps at it!
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. Looks like he pulled a starky. Fast bike, pedestrian 'run'.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! [whiteandy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
whiteandy wrote:
I agree. Looks like he pulled a starky. Fast bike, pedestrian 'run'.

LOL. 3rd OA in his last race is "pulling a Starky". We should all suffer such a fate on raceday.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4:33 marathon. Ouch...

Probably a good learning day for him. I hope he sticks with it and kq's.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave Mirra is an Ironman!!!!!!! So cool watching the journey and seeing my friend commit no matter the outcome! Despite not checking off all his goals I'm still extremely proud of him and his family that backed him. I don't know if he'll try this again. He may not. But for sure he's gonna continue his journey in triathlon and that's pretty cool!

Cheers,

thechromedome
http://www.favoritefinishlines.blogspot.com
http://www.cupcakecartel.org
My 20% off code for 2018 FS Series races: tricred18
"there are no drafters in heaven" - C Bonner
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not very many < 10 hr finishes today.

Was it a 'slow' day for some reason? Or just not as competitive as in years past?

Dunno why everybody is all over DM for biking a 5:06 - that's not absurdly fast or anything, and he's a very strong biker.
Granted, he died on the run, but does he run an hour faster if he bikes 5-10-15 minutes slower?
Probably not.

He needs to be able to run 3:30-ish off the bike, to have a reasonable shot at KQ.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My hat is off to him. He went in knowing it was a bit of a gamble to qualify so he played his strong hand (the bike). It didn't work out, but at least he had the balls to roll the dice, then grind it to the end and finish. Good job, Dave.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! [billwaltondd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well said.

Cheers,

thechromedome
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I concur. Congrats to him for completing his first full.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! [YO mortaaay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YO mortaaay wrote:

Xterra world's shoe in. Heck, he might even have a shot at an OA podium if he can get his swim squared away. You've got to think Dave could hang with Stoltz on the bike especially if it was very technical, no?
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
YO mortaaay wrote:

Xterra world's shoe in. Heck, he might even have a shot at an OA podium if he can get his swim squared away. You've got to think Dave could hang with Stoltz on the bike especially if it was very technical, no?

I'm sure he's an absurdly good bike handler, but - he'll need to do more than "get his swim squared away" to be in shouting distance to the really fast overall guys.
And he still hasn't shown he can run well off a hard bike (at least not today), so, there's that too.

But yes, he would KILL at Xterra in general. Could definitely make Worlds as an AG'er, if that's what he wanted to do.
The BMX guys that I MTB with all have crazy bike skills, and these are just local pikers, not Dave f'n Mirra.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All these things about him at Xterra are true. Murphyslaw has it right. But I can tell you Xterra is not where his heart is. Maybe one day perhaps but not now.

Cheers,

thechromedome
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
Mike Alexander wrote:
I know he is super dedicated to Triathlon and has thrown down great bike splits at 70.3's.....but do you think he blew his wad on the bike? I would think he would have better coaching that would have prevented that if it was the case.

I think he just needs a lot more run fitness and that can take time.

I agree with this. People rarely KQ at their first rodeo. The Ironman marathon is way different than most people anticipate!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:

He needs to be able to run 3:30-ish off the bike, to have a reasonable shot at KQ.

Really? Aren't there like, 5 slots in that age group? Seems like he could finish around 10 hours and still have a pretty good shot at a KQ. I think he could get away with a 3:45-ish marathon. Especially if he takes 5-10 mins off his swim too.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! [vo3 max] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vo3 max wrote:
Murphy'sLaw wrote:

Really? Aren't there like, 5 slots in that age group? Seems like he could finish around 10 hours and still have a pretty good shot at a KQ. I think he could get away with a 3:45-ish marathon. Especially if he takes 5-10 mins off his swim too.

Really.

If you are a meh swimmer, and stud biker, you need to also be able to bring it on the run.

An adult-onset swimmer (I assume), who can crush the bike, is going to have a lot easier time getting faster on the run, than in the pool.
Trust me, I know. I've seen this movie before, and I know how it ends.

float , hammer , and jog

Last edited by: Murphy'sLaw: Jul 26, 15 16:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was going back and forth with Dave today on the run. Super super nice dude. Pulling into the oval I was literally right in front of him. About 50 yards into the oval I got a massive hamstring cramp and he passed me and crossed before I did. Was happy to see that he got in the water before me so I still edged him out on the overall time, which was about 30 minutes slower than I had expected.

For some reason a lot of people today had trouble in the back half of the run - myself included. It wasn't unusually hot but think the sun was beating down and no shade on that course. Likely very humid too with the rain we had last night.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
His swim isn't doing him any favors...at all. 71 minutes is way the fuck off the back.
It makes him a 1 trick pony. Swim to survive but lose a lot of time then ride like a mofo and hang on for the run.

Now change that swim from a liability to something towards a 65 then he can actually race smarter and becomes less of a 1 trick pony.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He's gonna need the "celeb slot", glad he is bringing some small additional attention to Ironman. But this is what I dislike about this sport, there are so many AG'ers that work harder with a full time job/kids/family and are trying for a KQ. With no real attention or real spotlight, common man could and does throw down that time that Dave Mirra just did without all the fancy bike/equipment/hype/ spotlight/twitter/wind tunnel/instagram updates.

(End of rant). Carry on
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! [Run For Money] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Run For Money wrote:
He's gonna need the "celeb slot", glad he is bringing some small additional attention to Ironman. But this is what I dislike about this sport, there are so many AG'ers that work harder with a full time job/kids/family and are trying for a KQ. With no real attention or real spotlight, common man could and does throw down that time that Dave Mirra just did without all the fancy bike/equipment/hype/ spotlight/twitter/wind tunnel/instagram updates.

(End of rant). Carry on

So you think the 10h AGers are common man and not super gifted athletes that chose a better day job than triahlons?

I could bike for 10 years and I doubt I could match mirras bike split.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! [Run For Money] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I raced LP today in the same age group as Dave. Big props to him for doing things the right way and trying to get Kona on merit. When an elite athlete like DM is challenged on a course like this, it brings honor to those that competed with him. Dave -- come back and do it again! I am sure he can improve that run.

General thoughts on the race:
It didn't seem like there were any/many pros present. That had a lot to do with the slow times.
Swim was fine. Nothing special to report there, other than that the slower swimmers really cause congestion on the second loop. It would be nice to have a single loop course, but obviously not possible on Mirror Lake.
Bike was a good test. Weather held out fine. Roads were good enough. The draft packs were ridiculous. I saw the single uniformed official cruise right past a pack and do nothing. There were a lot of people drafting without any hesitation/remorse. Have some integrity!
Run course is a little gimmicky. That late hill is a silly pain-inducer that doesn't properly test a runner. If it was a stand-alone marathon, I would say the course sucks, but IM usually sets run courses based on logistical convenience over competitive purposes.
I didn't think it was really that hot, but the attendant at the finish said it was 90 degrees. That seems wrong, but there was some carnage out there. That top female competitor that was on the brink of collapsing (being mostly carried by two fellow runners) reminded me of the Swiss runner in 1984 Olympics. I hope she is ok. She was inspiring, albeit in a very dangerous and concerning way.

Bottom line: IMLP is a terrific event.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! [copperman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
copperman wrote:
Run For Money wrote:

(End of rant). Carry on

So you think the 10h AGers are common man and not super gifted athletes that chose a better day job than triahlons?

I think you missed my point. And yes 10h AGers are common man that work really really hard that have some talent, I can't understand the other part you said.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra Takes on IMLP Today! [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It didn't seem like there were any/many pros present. That had a lot to do with the slow times.

There weren't any pros there on direct order from the WTC powers that be. I'm skeptical that it had anything to do with the speed of the AGers.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply

Prev Next