Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dave Mirra -RIP [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
npompei wrote:
Cherish what you have and live every day like it's your last. Life is too short.

x2

"Enjoy every sandwich" - Warren Zevon

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra -RIP [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Giant Steps wrote:
WTF? Not only did he end his life, he seriously screwed up the lives of his wife and kids.

Seriously? Show some respect and get a basic understanding about depression.

We had a suicide in our family on Monday, and a lot of us are very confused and saddened that a young man with everything going for him would do this. His mother, father and brother are absolutely being destroyed by grief. So if I sound angry and harsh, I've got my reasons.

Live long and surf!
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra -RIP [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bikerumor has a nice video up of Dave
http://www.bikerumor.com/.../120691/#more-120691

I am a year older than him and can remember always being impressed with what the guy can do with a two wheeled "toy". RIP Mirra, prayers for you family.

Contemplating a multi-sport comeback
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra -RIP [Giant Steps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Giant Steps wrote:
Power13 wrote:
Giant Steps wrote:
WTF? Not only did he end his life, he seriously screwed up the lives of his wife and kids.

We had a suicide in our family on Monday, and a lot of us are very confused and saddened that a young man with everything going for him would do this. His mother, father and brother are absolutely being destroyed by grief. So if I sound angry and harsh, I've got my reasons.

One would think that that would be a reason to actually be more understanding and compassionate, not ignorant and hateful.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra -RIP [YTS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YTS wrote:
Giant Steps wrote:
Power13 wrote:
Giant Steps wrote:

One would think that that would be a reason to actually be more understanding and compassionate, not ignorant and hateful.

The feelings are still too raw.

Live long and surf!
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra -RIP [ttmonkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While he was in his X-Games prime I almost always stopped channel surfing if I came across Dave and his contemporaries in action. Years later, I got to tell him as much towards the end of a great phone conversation regarding his tri fit. As so many others have said, he came off as such a regular guy...you wouldn't have known he was a star. RIP.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra -RIP [Giant Steps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Giant Steps wrote:
YTS wrote:
Giant Steps wrote:
Power13 wrote:
Giant Steps wrote:

The feelings are still too raw.

I am truly sorry for your loss....but if your feelings are too raw, maybe you should just not post on this thread. His friends and family may well see it....

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra -RIP [FastGMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nicely said. Thoughts to his family and friends.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra -RIP [offrhodes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
offrhodes wrote:
Bikerumor has a nice video up of Dave
http://www.bikerumor.com/.../120691/#more-120691

Good that they added this

"If you or someone you know is struggling with thoughts of suicide, check out the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, call 1-800-273-TALK, or many of the other resources available"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra -RIP [thechromedome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My deepest condolences to you and the rest of Dave's close friends. I feel the deepest sorrow for his wife and kids. There are some things we just can't make sense of. I first met Dave when he stormed on to the BMX scene 25+ years ago. It was immediately obvious that he was someone special. He made a positive impression on so many since he first came in to the spotlight. Hopefully he is at peace now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My condolences to your family and his. My wife met Dave in Kona a couple of years ago, trained with him in Tucson and kept up with him online. From this limited interaction, I felt like I knew him. Everything I see about him indicates that he touched most people in this same way. A very special individual. He will be missed.

As others have mentioned, if there is anything we can provide to help his family please let us know.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra -RIP [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really don't know at this point. Coming together and recognizing the great man he is and how he embraced this community with everything he had and with love and utmost respect for all triathletes, fast and slow, is a start. The haters got to him, and it got worse over the last months. He taught me never to say anything negative about anybody, cuz you just don't know. The derogitory posts on the Dave Mirra Ironman threads cut him deep and I felt responsible since I started the threads. I still do. I guess I'm just saying that love goes a long way but sometimes one small bit of hate can unravel it all. And we need to watch ourselves on this on ST as much as anywhere else.

If I learn anything that you guys can do I'll be sure and share. Prayers, for now, if you don't mind giving them to his family.

Peace,

thechromedome
http://www.favoritefinishlines.blogspot.com
http://www.cupcakecartel.org
My 20% off code for 2018 FS Series races: tricred18
"there are no drafters in heaven" - C Bonner
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From the front page article by Herbert:

"Ellie at Ironman asked if I wanted to race if I did not make it, and I said no and she respected it and was cool with it. There are people who try forever and never make it. I qualified for 70.3 Worlds last year and when I was at the event I looked around and thought If I didn’t make it here on my own I wouldn’t want to be here racing. This is for people who made it and it is not just another race. It is the ultimate," said Dave Mirra in an interview as he got ready for the 2015 IRONMAN Lake Placid

This is what I thought was so awesome about him. He was a superstar but he wanted to earn it just like every other "average Joe" who competes. I cannot imagine the pain his family is dealing with right now.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra -RIP [ttmonkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The below was posted by "GentlemanJerseyDave" over in the TRS Triathlon forums on this topic and it's really well written and provides an important perspective for all of us. Please read and consider.

"This is such a lovely tribute. He was such a talent as both an athlete and personality. His transition to triathlon shows so much about his level of physicality. The hardest thing in the world to ask for is help. And the hardest thing for those who don't suffer from depression is to understand when someone is asking for that help. In these moments I like to remind people to keep their ears and hearts open to those around them. Because I can tell you from experience that asking for help is so damn hard the first time, it's pretty much impossible to do a second. My thoughts are with him and his family and all those suffering.

I'd like to also just toss out something I learned a while back. Those in psychology, who deal with suicide in particular, say the person "Died by Suicide" instead of "Committing Suicide". It's a subtle but important acknowledgment to the underlying mental disorder that leads to the action - it is as much a cause of death as it is an act. I've mulled through this a ton. When my friend died by suicide in August I kept saying "committed" in anger but my goodness - the pain you must be in to do this when being a parent. I lean back often upon the love of my son and that bond in my worst moments and I can see the pure beauty - to be so sick, in so much pain to not feel that has to be excruciating. I honestly can't imagine anything worse.

I've been modestly open over the years with people about my struggles as a manic depressive and severe anxiety disorder sufferer. I've been less specific about some of the details because of the stigma that's often attached. I always find these stories so hard to read and I hope in the end we all can just look in 360 degrees around us and remember that someone is likely hoping you ask how they are - keep an open mind and heart and a couple fewer stories like this will be written along the way."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thechromedome wrote:
I really don't know at this point. Coming together and recognizing the great man he is and how he embraced this community with everything he had and with love and utmost respect for all triathletes, fast and slow, is a start. The haters got to him, and it got worse over the last months. He taught me never to say anything negative about anybody, cuz you just don't know. The derogitory posts on the Dave Mirra Ironman threads cut him deep and I felt responsible since I started the threads. I still do. I guess I'm just saying that love goes a long way but sometimes one small bit of hate can unravel it all. And we need to watch ourselves on this on ST as much as anywhere else.

If I learn anything that you guys can do I'll be sure and share. Prayers, for now, if you don't mind giving them to his family.

Peace,

That is sad to hear. It also makes me think of the other people that have been chewed up and spit out by Slowtwitchers.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra -RIP [flynnzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flynnzu wrote:
The below was posted by "GentlemanJerseyDave" over in the TRS Triathlon forums on this topic and it's really well written and provides an important perspective for all of us. Please read and consider.

"This is such a lovely tribute. He was such a talent as both an athlete and personality. His transition to triathlon shows so much about his level of physicality. The hardest thing in the world to ask for is help. And the hardest thing for those who don't suffer from depression is to understand when someone is asking for that help. In these moments I like to remind people to keep their ears and hearts open to those around them. Because I can tell you from experience that asking for help is so damn hard the first time, it's pretty much impossible to do a second. My thoughts are with him and his family and all those suffering.

I'd like to also just toss out something I learned a while back. Those in psychology, who deal with suicide in particular, say the person "Died by Suicide" instead of "Committing Suicide". It's a subtle but important acknowledgment to the underlying mental disorder that leads to the action - it is as much a cause of death as it is an act. I've mulled through this a ton. When my friend died by suicide in August I kept saying "committed" in anger but my goodness - the pain you must be in to do this when being a parent. I lean back often upon the love of my son and that bond in my worst moments and I can see the pure beauty - to be so sick, in so much pain to not feel that has to be excruciating. I honestly can't imagine anything worse.

I've been modestly open over the years with people about my struggles as a manic depressive and severe anxiety disorder sufferer. I've been less specific about some of the details because of the stigma that's often attached. I always find these stories so hard to read and I hope in the end we all can just look in 360 degrees around us and remember that someone is likely hoping you ask how they are - keep an open mind and heart and a couple fewer stories like this will be written along the way."

Thanks for posting this. I recently read a quote, which went along the lines of, "If you only had 1 year to live, how would you live today/tomorrow/next week/next month". It brings a bit of clarity into what is and what is not important in life. If he was thinking along the lines of taking his life, outwardly he could be doing everything you would do if you knew you did not have a long time to live, towards friends, family and public. Who knows. Maybe this is why we are most surprised when someone who has it all actually turns out to be battling himself/herself internally. I had a college classmate last summer die from suicide ~10 years after coming back from deployment in Afghanistan, outwardly with a great life with an awesome family, and working in the tech field etc. He posted on fb visiting his grandfather's grave in Europe from WW2 not long before he died. He just looked like a late 40's guy with kids grown up, professionally set, and doing just fine. He had to make some tough decisions at work laying off staff, and I think his military loyalty to his troops was too much in civilian life. In the military we are entrusted with the lives of men and women, and treat that with intense loyalty because that's the job of an officer. In the civilian world, staff are resources in the same category as capital assets, inventory, account receivable, to be monetized into earnings. It is hard leap. We're not sure if this triggered his downward spiral. I guess you never do. The family left behind is the one stuck with questions for life. The rest of us get to move on and it does not affect us day to day.

As an athlete, I wonder if his mindset would be happier if he got what he wanted out of triathlon and if it was filling the void after pro BMX.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my love and prayers to Dave's wife and daughters.. may his memory be eternal..

flynnzu wrote:
"GentlemanJerseyDave" over in the TRS Triathlon forums:
Those in psychology, who deal with suicide in particular, say the person "Died by Suicide" instead of "Committing Suicide". It's a subtle but important acknowledgment to the underlying mental disorder that leads to the action - it is as much a cause of death as it is an act.

we were discussing suicide in the men's group at church. A suicide can't be buried in the church - it is the only unforgiveable sin in Orthodox Christianity, as it closes off the possibility of repentance. Our priest who is a good man, noted it is always allowed to do a pastoral service for a suicide who was not in their right mind. I discussed this later with my sons, my younger boy asked, "does anyone ever commit suicide in their right mind ?"
a good question..

I have seen the effects of suicide first-hand in several families of close friends. That has been a good defense against thoughts of taking the quietus: my family is an anchor in the world.

most of the gun deaths in USA are suicides. It's one of the strongest arguments for more rigorous gun control..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
flynnzu wrote:
I'd like to also just toss out something I learned a while back. Those in psychology, who deal with suicide in particular, say the person "Died by Suicide" instead of "Committing Suicide". It's a subtle but important acknowledgment to the underlying mental disorder that leads to the action - it is as much a cause of death as it is an act. I've mulled through this a ton. When my friend died by suicide in August I kept saying "committed" in anger but my goodness - the pain you must be in to do this when being a parent.

“The so-called ‘psychotically depressed’ person who tries to kill herself doesn’t do so out of quote ‘hopelessness’ or any abstract conviction that life’s assets and debits do not square. And surely not because death seems suddenly appealing. The person in whom Its invisible agony reaches a certain unendurable level will kill herself the same way a trapped person will eventually jump from the window of a burning high-rise. Make no mistake about people who leap from burning windows. Their terror of falling from a great height is still just as great as it would be for you or me standing speculatively at the same window just checking out the view; i.e. the fear of falling remains a constant. The variable here is the other terror, the fire’s flames: when the flames get close enough, falling to death becomes the slightly less terrible of two terrors. It’s not desiring the fall; it’s terror of the flames. And yet nobody down on the sidewalk, looking up and yelling ‘Don’t!’ and ‘Hang on!’, can understand the jump. Not really. You’d have to have personally been trapped and felt flames to really understand a terror way beyond falling.” --Author David Foster Wallace, who eventually hung himself.

Hard to know what contributed to it for Dave Mirra--Traumatic brain injury, substance abuse, trauma history... Different for all.

flynnzu wrote:
I lean back often upon the love of my son and that bond in my worst moments and I can see the pure beauty - to be so sick, in so much pain to not feel that has to be excruciating. I honestly can't imagine anything worse.

Agreed. In the context of the above quote, I as a parent would never jump. But when I was much younger and felt this way, my thinking was that anyone who actually cared about me wouldn't want me to continue existing in that state just for their sake. And through help, and working on myself, it fortunately became, and has remained, a non-issue for a very long time.

--------------
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra -RIP [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
thechromedome wrote:

Peace,

That is sad to hear. It also makes me think of the other people that have been chewed up and spit out by Slowtwitchers.

If you have a poor tolerance for trolling assholes, this may be the wrong website for you. They are not in short supply.

--------------
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra -RIP [N. Dorphin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
N. Dorphin wrote:

Hard to know what contributed to it for Dave Mirra--Traumatic brain injury, substance abuse, trauma history... Different for all.

Could have been Chronic traumatic encephalopathy, I'm guessing he'd taken a fair few hits to the head in his BMX days.
Last edited by: tom1111: Feb 6, 16 14:48
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra -RIP [tom1111] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tom1111 wrote:
N. Dorphin wrote:

Could have been Chronic traumatic encephalopathy, I'm guessing he'd taken a fair few hits to the head in his BMX days.

I am no doctor, but this doesn't square with me for one single reason - Mirra was still an enormously capable rally driver. I get that CTE is big in the news right now, but when you read these stories about guys like Joe Montana - with nerve damage in one eye from the hits, or the basic inability to focus or even remember small details, that just doesn't fit with the enormous focus required to drive at a competitive level.

It may well turn out to be CTE. But I think that using CTE to "explain away" what happened is risky. I.e., if it was NOT CTE and people assume it was, that is a worse outcome than assuming it was "regular" depression and it turns out not to be the case. I.e., talking about depression is a more productive conversation, I think, than talking about the possibility of CTE from stunt BMX, which I think is obviously not without risks, but which I think is likely (albeit based only on instinct, not data... for now) safer than football.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra -RIP [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
tom1111 wrote:
N. Dorphin wrote:

I am no doctor, but this doesn't square with me for one single reason - Mirra was still an enormously capable rally driver. I get that CTE is big in the news right now, but when you read these stories about guys like Joe Montana - with nerve damage in one eye from the hits, or the basic inability to focus or even remember small details, that just doesn't fit with the enormous focus required to drive at a competitive level.

It may well turn out to be CTE. But I think that using CTE to "explain away" what happened is risky. I.e., if it was NOT CTE and people assume it was, that is a worse outcome than assuming it was "regular" depression and it turns out not to be the case. I.e., talking about depression is a more productive conversation, I think, than talking about the possibility of CTE from stunt BMX, which I think is obviously not without risks, but which I think is likely (albeit based only on instinct, not data... for now) safer than football.

Jordan,
As someone who used to do my share of freestyle BMX back in the day I'd say that it's far more dangerous than football. Sure, I don't want to be flattened by a 270 lb. lineman who runs a 4.7 forty but I'd take that over falling 20' on my head. I probably had half dozen concussions in my BMX days and I stopped when I was about 17. Dave did it until his mid-30's and he was a thousand times the daredevil I was... and he did it nearly every day for almost 20 years. Some of his crashes were horrific.

I agree that jumping to the CTE card is a bit premature and conversationally dangerous but I guarantee Dave bonked his noggin countless times and god knows how many concussions he sustained.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra -RIP [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to everyone who shared in this thread. Lots of great stuff that made me think hard about something that affected me way more than I thought it might as I first heard the news. Put together some thoughts with a lot of inspiration pulled from the posts in here - http://www.slowtwitch.com/...s_On_Loss_j5629.html

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra -RIP [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
Thanks to everyone who shared in this thread. Lots of great stuff that made me think hard about something that affected me way more than I thought it might as I first heard the news. Put together some thoughts with a lot of inspiration pulled from the posts in here - http://www.slowtwitch.com/...s_On_Loss_j5629.html

very well written . thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra -RIP [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
even worse was Todd Lyons... Dude was always knocking himself out. I wonder how he's doing. He was a big muckety muck at PK Ripper last I heard.

The GMAN wrote:
Rappstar wrote:
tom1111 wrote:
N. Dorphin wrote:

Jordan,
As someone who used to do my share of freestyle BMX back in the day I'd say that it's far more dangerous than football. Sure, I don't want to be flattened by a 270 lb. lineman who runs a 4.7 forty but I'd take that over falling 20' on my head. I probably had half dozen concussions in my BMX days and I stopped when I was about 17. Dave did it until his mid-30's and he was a thousand times the daredevil I was... and he did it nearly every day for almost 20 years. Some of his crashes were horrific.

I agree that jumping to the CTE card is a bit premature and conversationally dangerous but I guarantee Dave bonked his noggin countless times and god knows how many concussions he sustained.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply

Prev Next