Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dave Mirra -RIP [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the chance to chat with him at 70.3 worlds at Tremblant, and he was a super cool guy who was very interested in everything triathlon. He was very genuine and didn't seem to exeude any celebrity status. This is just so sad for his family, and especially young kids.

So many questions that may remain unanswered. RIP Mr Mirra - you've left a positive mark on many.

Wonder if his bikes could be auctioned off for CTE research if that is related to his passing.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra -RIP [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Read about this last night ... "Chest Thump" RIP

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra -RIP [ttmonkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Raced with him down in Key West. Had to do a double take because I didn't realize he did tri. Needless to say, it's unfortunate.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra -RIP [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From the type of method they will not be able to test. Hence why Dueren and Seau both shot themselves in the chest.

On another note, this one actually did hit me bc of all the love on here about him and his family. Hope that they will be able to cope and still have the people around that were positive from Dave's side of life.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra -RIP [Polarbeartri02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Polarbeartri02 wrote:
We can never know the demons that drive some to such an act of such gravity and finality as suicide. They are often the same that drive us to go the extra mile and push the extra watt in training. Dave Mirra's ability on a BMX inspired me to get on a bike as an overweight pre-teen which slowly morphed into a love for triathlon many years later. I only wish I could have racked my bike next to him at a race and shared pre-race jitters or post-race triumph. Thoughts and prayers with his family. RIP Dave.

x2 on the parts in bold that you wrote. Really gutted for his family. We can never know outwardly what people are going through and certainly more so for a "public person" who has to be all smiles and outgoing in public, whereas inside they might be battling but cannot even share it with anyone due to their public persona/image. If anything for a public person we should not be surprised that they can appear happy in public and struggle privately. Most of us, if we are in a bad mood we can be grumpy/assholes in public with no downside. Public guys and girls, always have to put on a public image and that in itself can become additive to any depression or negative cycle. RIP to a fellow athlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra -RIP [adambeston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've only seen “apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound” but no mention that it was to the head

So tragic, especially when we always think of him as so upbeat and positive

The Reaper has been a Total Douchebag lately

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra -RIP [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very sad news. Dave was a guy I looked up to for a long time...most recently for his dedication to his family along with his tri pursuits. He will continue to serve as an inspiration and will be greatly missed. RIP Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra -RIP [Wingspan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wingspan wrote:
Very sad news. Dave was a guy I looked up to for a long time...most recently for his dedication to his family along with his tri pursuits. He will continue to serve as an inspiration and will be greatly missed. RIP Dave

Shocked here... I spent many years being taunted by Dave in Dirt 2 - when I learned he was doing triathlons as well, I felt some kind of connection. Can't say I knew him, but I can say I always read anything in the news about him. You can never know what is going through one person's head...

RIP.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, what a huge loss. Such an inspiration. My thoughts and prayers go out to those who morn him.

Ready or not here I come!
Coaching NY's Southern Tier
Swift^3
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra -RIP [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:

The Reaper has been a Total Douchebag lately

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra -RIP [Givingchase] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll second a lot of the people on here saying that you shouldn't assume that just because someone is outwardly happy they are not inwardly struggling with depression. Depression can be very hard to reason with. It's something I've struggled with myself and even when I was at my lowest points I always "knew" my life was good, but how I FELT was very different. That is part of the hopelessness that comes with depression - you can look around and know you have everything you always wanted in life but feel that you are condemned to feel awful and worthless no matter what you have or how much others love you. Outwardly I come across as a very energetic and happy-go-lucky person; most people I know are pretty shocked when they find out I've struggled with depression and anxiety.

It could have been CTE or just plain old, garden-variety depression that came about through a combination of genetic and environmental factors that we still don't fully understand.

I'll get on my soapbox for a minute and say that I think as men we need to learn to get away from this tough-guy notion that mental health problems are only OK if you acquired them doing something "manly." There seems to be this prevalent assumption that athletes and people in other traditionally masculine professions (soldiers, etc) only commit suicide as the result of some sort of severe trauma, be that physical or psychological. They are just human and vulnerable as everybody else, and many, many of them struggle with the same issues as us mere mortals - there are as many explanations for it as there are people. It often has little to do with their profession.

As men we should all remember that it doesn't have to be this way - it's OK to ask for help. It doesn't matter whether you need help because you hit your head a few too many times, because you saw a little too much in Iraq, because you had abusive parents growing up, or because you just got unlucky in the genetic lottery.

RIP Dave.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra -RIP [UrsusMaximus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UrsusMaximus wrote:
I'll second a lot of the people on here saying that you shouldn't assume that just because someone is outwardly happy they are not inwardly struggling with depression. Depression can be very hard to reason with. It's something I've struggled with myself and even when I was at my lowest points I always "knew" my life was good, but how I FELT was very different. That is part of the hopelessness that comes with depression - you can look around and know you have everything you always wanted in life but feel that you are condemned to feel awful and worthless no matter what you have or how much others love you. Outwardly I come across as a very energetic and happy-go-lucky person; most people I know are pretty shocked when they find out I've struggled with depression and anxiety.

It could have been CTE or just plain old, garden-variety depression that came about through a combination of genetic and environmental factors that we still don't fully understand.

I'll get on my soapbox for a minute and say that I think as men we need to learn to get away from this tough-guy notion that mental health problems are only OK if you acquired them doing something "manly." There seems to be this prevalent assumption that athletes and people in other traditionally masculine professions (soldiers, etc) only commit suicide as the result of some sort of severe trauma, be that physical or psychological. They are just human and vulnerable as everybody else, and many, many of them struggle with the same issues as us mere mortals - there are as many explanations for it as there are people. It often has little to do with their profession.

As men we should all remember that it doesn't have to be this way - it's OK to ask for help. It doesn't matter whether you need help because you hit your head a few too many times, because you saw a little too much in Iraq, because you had abusive parents growing up, or because you just got unlucky in the genetic lottery.

RIP Dave.

This. So much this.

Patti in NJ
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fucking guns, if you are battling depression don't own a gun.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra -RIP [RallySavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RallySavage wrote:
Fucking guns, if you are battling depression don't own a gun.

That's why mental health screening in gun laws would be a good idea, so you don't hurt yourself or others

A friend of mine lost her husband to PTSD, but he didn't shoot himself

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra -RIP [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks man. I really don't know what to say right now. We were gonna share a training ride tomorrow. Waking up and realizing it's all still real.........I just don't understand why I didn't know. I can't stop repeating every conversation in my head looking for clues. So gutted.

Please pray for his wife, Lauren, and his daughters Madi and Kenz. We all want Dave back so much.

Prayers,

thechromedome
http://www.favoritefinishlines.blogspot.com
http://www.cupcakecartel.org
My 20% off code for 2018 FS Series races: tricred18
"there are no drafters in heaven" - C Bonner
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra -RIP [thechromedome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so sad. lots of good points made here. I can't help but wonder if the few trolls there were giving him a hard time on Instagram feel a shred of accountability for this. Not saying that it did or did not play a factor in this, but I just wonder what they are thinking.

I've never met him or anything but for some reason this one is affecting more than other celebrity tragedies which I've unfortunately almost become numb to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Met Dave at IMLP this year. Such a nice guy. We went back and forth on the course for a bit only to have him pass me in the oval when my hamstring cramped up. In my finish line video as I'm approaching and Dave had just crossed you can hear Mike Reilly say "that guy does stuff on a bike that is just unreal". Amen to that.

So sad. RIP Dave.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Condolences to Dave's family and friends. Read about this yesterday and it's still a shock and unbelievable. Really feel for his wife and kids. Just still shocked.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra -RIP [UrsusMaximus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X2 what Ursus said. IT'S OK TO ASK FOR HELP! Guys generally suck at talking about feelings but there has to be another way before you make a decision that is so final and so devastating for family. RIP Dave.

UrsusMaximus wrote:

RIP Dave.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WTF? Not only did he end his life, he seriously screwed up the lives of his wife and kids.

Live long and surf!
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra -RIP [Giant Steps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't sleep well last night and to be honest, I'm still not right. Never met Dave, nor did I really know him as a person. But I felt like I knew him through this site and following him on IG. I was devastated last night.

I put my 4yr old to be around 830, then read the news afterwards. He gets out of bed like he normally does (which typically bothers the shit out of me) for about 30min to an hour every single night. But after reading this, when he got up, I didn't get mad. I went up and hugged that little bugger harder than I ever have before. And I'll admit, I cried. I cried for his girls. Because little does my little dude know, but he has me. And I have him. And for those few moments, in a dark 4yr old's bedroom, I loved my kid more than I ever have.

Cherish what you have and live every day like it's your last. Life is too short.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't know Dave, I never had a BMX (where I gew up it would be as much use as a boat on the Moon), so i'd barely heard of him before his switch to triathlon, but I was interested after seeing him on a P5, and seeing thechromedome's blog about the P5 gift too. Started following Dave on social media, seemed that he was a genuine good guy - almost every post was 'proud dad with daughters' theme.
He will be missed.
Every day, guaranteed, at some point, I think, "beadadnotafad" and i'm sure my 2 little people will be grateful of that input.
RIP

'to give anything less than the best is to sacrifice the gift'...Pre
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra -RIP [Giant Steps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Giant Steps wrote:
WTF? Not only did he end his life, he seriously screwed up the lives of his wife and kids.

Seriously? Show some respect and get a basic understanding about depression.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Mirra -RIP [npompei] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
npompei wrote:
Cherish what you have and live every day like it's your last. Life is too short.

x2

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thechromedome wrote:
Thanks man. I really don't know what to say right now. We were gonna share a training ride tomorrow. Waking up and realizing it's all still real.........I just don't understand why I didn't know. I can't stop repeating every conversation in my head looking for clues. So gutted.

Please pray for his wife, Lauren, and his daughters Madi and Kenz. We all want Dave back so much.

Prayers,

Can you inform this community if there is something we can do for and/or send to his wife and children that would be supportive (and appropriate).

thanks
Quote Reply

Prev Next