Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Crr for the Conti GP TT?...and more... [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jens wrote:
MTM wrote:
When and where are they from? My two samples from early summer last year (also grey sidewall) measure more like 27mm on my HED Jet Black, which should have same internal bead width.

The more relevant question is where is my Hed Jet from. It is supposed to measure 25mm on the outside. It's closer to 24mm.

Mine is more like 25.5mm or 26mm outside width IIRC - but those are Jet Blacks, so maybe they are a bit different? Or maybe your sample is just quite small?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jens wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
For some reason, I couldn't get as consistent results from my PT wheel data as from the crank PM...I think it might have to follow with the relatively low power levels of the testing and the resolution of the PT readings. I still use the PT wheel for most testing, but not its power output.

I'm still waiting on my Garmin speed sensor. In the meantime, I ran both tires again at 120 PSI and 25.2 mph.

Here's what I got:

Vittoria Corsa: 57 watts (crank); 55 watts (hub)
GP TT: 66 watts (crank); 65 watts (hub)

This is on the TT bike instead of the road bike, so the weight distr. and wattage are a little different for both.

Based on the crank power, that gives me CRRs of .030 for the GP TT and .0259

Since I ran the GP TT second this time, I figured I'd run it a bit more. I did observe that the by the 5th minute, the power had dropped from 66 watts to 63 watts at the crank and 65 to 63 at the hub. As has been suggested above, it could be that Conti tires improve disproportionately with temperature. That would certainly explain why historically they have done relatively poorly on my tests. I use the first stable reading, rather than allowing the tires to warm up.

IME, it's not so much that one type of tire heats up differently than another, than it is that higher Crr tires heat up more (in an absolute sense) than lower Crr tires...which makes sense from a physics standpoint.

That's also why my temperature compensation is in terms of %change per degree. I also found that when riding on the road, the tires DO end up hotter than ambient (with the delta larger for higher Crr tires), with the absolute number controlled by the ambient air temp. That's why I "correct" my results to 20C ambient.

All tires take quite a bit of time to heat up and stabilize, which is why I've settled on the protocol of running the tires for 5 minutes at 95 rpm, followed by a quick power meter zeroing, and then 4 minutes at 90 rpm. The data reported is then the average of the final 2 minutes of the 90 rpm stretch. With that initial higher power "charge" the steady state temp at 90 rpm seems to occur earlier. It also seems to result in a fairly steady power requirement in the final 2 minutes, but I can usually still detect some power drop during the first 2 minutes of the 90 rpm run if I look at the power trace carefully (i.e. power axis magnified).

Btw, in your Crr numbers you're stating, are you missing a zero?

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Crr for the Conti GP TT?...and more... [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:
I have to agree with rruff.
Over many years of wind tunnel testing I've been hoping for a handmade tire to do well in the tunnel.
Even though the tread edge is miniscule, nevertheless it seems to trip the flow and separate it from the tire -- and almost always from the rim as well. Leads to early stall and the accompanying increase in drag, unfortunately.

True, but as we've seen, if the Crr is low enough, then despite that early stall condition, the tire/wheel combo can be faster overall, especially within the narrow (relatively speaking) yaw angle range in which I'd expect a fast guy like Jens to be operating ;-)

That said though, if one can find a smooth tire (like the SS) that has nearly the same low Crr, then yeah...it's probably better to go that route, from an overall speed standpoint.

Quote Reply
Re: Crr for the Conti GP TT?...and more... [J Layne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just put fresh 4000s tyres (23) on a flo 90 front and super 9 rear. Sans a puncture I'm leaving watts in the Table it seems. After all these years of the King being recommended on this forum why has it taken this long for info to come out? Or wS it always out there if you dug deep enough ...
Quote Reply
Re: Crr for the Conti GP TT?...and more... [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Always been out there. The GP4ks is still a very good tire crr+aero, and for the average triathlete it is a good option. Anything beyond that is mostly a matter of risk tolerance. I've always felt most comfortable with the GP4ks but this year I think I'm going with a pair of Conti TTs to save a few watts.
Quote Reply
Re: Crr for the Conti GP TT?...and more... [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:
Or wS it always out there if you dug deep enough ...

It's always been out there. GP4ks have great aero and puncture resistance, so they are the best choice for most people. They don't have the best Crr and they aren't the flat out fastest though (usually).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your work on testing the TT and the Corsa speed. I was looking at those 2 for my enve 7.8. I decided on the GP TT because of the added protection from vectran layer.But since enve does not recommend latex tubes, I'd be using light butyl tubes. My other option is to run the corsa speed tubeless. It doesn't have an anti puncture barrier, but sealant should take care of punctures, right?

I might have to bite the bullet and try both out.
Quote Reply
Re: Crr for the Conti GP TT?...and more... [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

rruff wrote:
jens wrote:
Good luck with your racing! My ability to exercise and recover took a sudden downturn a couple years ago and I haven't found a reason. Oddly on short efforts (~1 min or less) I'm as strong as ever, but aerobically I'm down 10% or more on power, and can't recover worth a damn. And I'm only 56!

Thanks Ron!

Great to hear from you! IIRC, you were the one who original gave me the spreadsheet (or formula) to convert the roller numbers to CRR. I'm 55, so I hear you on the age thing. I can still pound out decent power for 20 to 40 minutes (which is how long a lot of the TTs are), but then it takes forever to recover.

Tom A. wrote:
jens wrote:

Btw, in your Crr numbers you're stating, are you missing a zero?

Oops. Yup.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jens wrote:
Great to hear from you! IIRC, you were the one who original gave me the spreadsheet (or formula) to convert the roller numbers to CRR.

Yep, that's me. Hope you have a good comeback year! What races are you planning?
Quote Reply
Re: Crr for the Conti GP TT?...and more... [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
What races are you planning?

World Masters Games, US Nationals, UCI Master Worlds (Austria), Oregon & CA state TTs, Mt. Ashland Hill Climb. Some of these may just turn out to be vacations if I'm still in poor shape....

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Re: Crr for the Conti GP TT?...and more... [astig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
astig wrote:
But since enve does not recommend latex tubes, I'd be using light butyl tubes.

Say what?
Quote Reply
Re: Crr for the Conti GP TT?...and more... [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what I said. I had my shop call enve and check
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TH3_FRB wrote:
astig wrote:
But since enve does not recommend latex tubes, I'd be using light butyl tubes.

Say what?

I talked to someone at Enve a couple of months ago and they said that latex tubes were ok to use on the new rims with the new textured brake track.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's their rationale? What do the wheels have to do with the tubes you run?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
astig wrote:
Taken from their website

https://enve.zendesk.com/...ENVE-Clincher-Wheels

Their "inflate the tube outside the tire" example is laughable...and I bet they were using plastic rim strips with the latex tubes. Don't do that. Use tape intended for tubeless applications.

Of course,braking on carbon surfaces is silly in the first place, so....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:

Of course,braking on carbon surfaces is silly in the first place, so....

Never specifically had a problem with my 404 or 808/Super-9. Although I tend to minimize braking as much as possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
damon_rinard wrote:
Over many years of wind tunnel testing I've been hoping for a handmade tire to do well in the tunnel.
Even though the tread edge is miniscule, nevertheless it seems to trip the flow and separate it from the tire -- and almost always from the rim as well. Leads to early stall and the accompanying increase in drag, unfortunately.

True, but as we've seen, if the Crr is low enough, then despite that early stall condition, the tire/wheel combo can be faster overall, especially within the narrow (relatively speaking) yaw angle range in which I'd expect a fast guy like Jens to be operating ;-)

That said though, if one can find a smooth tire (like the SS) that has nearly the same low Crr, then yeah...it's probably better to go that route, from an overall speed standpoint.

Agreed: We know +/-10 degrees yaw is more common than we used to think, so that range is most important. Wider yaw is less important. But not unimportant. An objective weighting scheme is attractive, to include high yaw performance at the right level of importance.

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:
This sounds unlikely.
A trip would normally be expected to cause early transition from laminar to turbulent flow but rather than cause flow separation and an early stall it would normally cause the exact opposite. Turbulation would energise the boundary layer, delaying flow separation (stall).
Earlier transition to turbulent boundary layer would increase drag a little. So at low angles of attack the drag would likely be higher for a "tripped" design. However at greater angles of attack (i.e. bigger "wind yaw" angles) the tripped boundary layer should be more robust to separation and delay a sharp increase in drag due to stall.
Of course if some other part of the tyre/wheel trips the flow further aft anyway, then drag may always be higher for the tripped tyre, but I don't think your comments about flow separation are correct. This is just based on the underlying aerodynamics. I don't have any direct experience with tyres/wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
TPerry wrote:
"That result for the GP TT makes it the new "top dog" for brand new tires I've roller tested. One caveat on that tire though...it measures much larger (24.6mm) than it's rated 23C on my narrow Mavic Open Pro rim, or nearly 2mm wider than a Continental SuperSonic 23C (22.8mm) on the same rim, and is only .0001 lower Crr (~1W difference at 40kph for a pair, or what I consider "tied")."

Tom, from your statement above, when Cda is taken into account what's your guess as to how these two tires compare?

Thank you for sharing your "hobby" results with all of us. I have to admit it is tremendous fun trying to find these marginal gains.

Tim

Without any aero data to go on, my guess would be the SS23 would be slightly faster overall, especially between 0-10deg of yaw angle. In any case, it's tough to go wrong with either as a choice.

Tom, what are your thoughts on tire choice for a rear wheel in a frame that fares the majority of the leading edge, for example my P3C? Should we be biasing our decision-making even further towards crr and not worrying so much about aero? On my Renn 555 in the back of my P3C I've been running the Force 24C because a) low crr, and; b) it is fairly wide which might help a bit with arse comfort (Renn disc is very stiff, obviously).

That tire probably isn't the very best match to the Renn but I'm thinking with probably the upper 80% of the leading edge being hidden from the wind anyway, maybe it doesn't matter. But then I wonder if what happens at the trailing edge is important. Overthinking, no doubt.

But in general, in a fared back wheel is crr the boss?

Cheers,
Rich.
Quote Reply
Re: Crr for the Conti GP TT?...and more... [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:

Tom, what are your thoughts on tire choice for a rear wheel in a frame that fares the majority of the leading edge, for example my P3C? Should we be biasing our decision-making even further towards crr and not worrying so much about aero? On my Renn 555 in the back of my P3C I've been running the Force 24C because a) low crr, and; b) it is fairly wide which might help a bit with arse comfort (Renn disc is very stiff, obviously).

That tire probably isn't the very best match to the Renn but I'm thinking with probably the upper 80% of the leading edge being hidden from the wind anyway, maybe it doesn't matter. But then I wonder if what happens at the trailing edge is important. Overthinking, no doubt.

But in general, in a fared back wheel is crr the boss?

Cheers,
Rich.

No, you're right to worry about what happens at the trailing edge as well. Too much of a discontinuity isn't a good thing there either drag-wise.

Yes, for rear tire selection, Crr tends to weigh in more than aerodynamics than it does on the front. That said, there are a LOT of tires with low Crr that aren't uber-wide, so it's not necessarily an "either/or" situation. But, as you point out, other factors (such as the ability to run a lower pressure with a slightly wider tire, and hence "comfort") might come into your personal calculus as well.

In other words, "it depends" ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Crr for the Conti GP TT?...and more... [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
damon_rinard wrote:

This sounds unlikely.
A trip would normally be expected to cause early transition from laminar to turbulent flow but rather than cause flow separation and an early stall it would normally cause the exact opposite. Turbulation would energise the boundary layer, delaying flow separation (stall).
Earlier transition to turbulent boundary layer would increase drag a little. So at low angles of attack the drag would likely be higher for a "tripped" design. However at greater angles of attack (i.e. bigger "wind yaw" angles) the tripped boundary layer should be more robust to separation and delay a sharp increase in drag due to stall.
Of course if some other part of the tyre/wheel trips the flow further aft anyway, then drag may always be higher for the tripped tyre, but I don't think your comments about flow separation are correct. This is just based on the underlying aerodynamics. I don't have any direct experience with tyres/wheels.

Sorry, you're right and I've sloppily misused the word "trip." The edge of the tread doesn't trip the flow in terms of boundary layer transition, but it may disrupt the flow. And in the adverse pressure gradient on the leeward side of the tire, this may lead to the earlier separation seen on some tires than on otherwise similar tires with a smother tread edge. We can often see earlier stall and the characteristic increase in drag.

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
damon_rinard wrote:

This sounds unlikely.

Sorry, you're right and I've sloppily misused the word "trip." The edge of the tread doesn't trip the flow in terms of boundary layer transition, but it may disrupt the flow. And in the adverse pressure gradient on the leeward side of the tire, this may lead to the earlier separation seen on some tires than on otherwise similar tires with a smother tread edge. We can often see earlier stall and the characteristic increase in drag.

I'm curious how much of that observation about "open tubular" style constructed tires is due to the "lip" ("Don't you give me no lip!" ;-), and how much is due to the naturally rounder leading edge shape that a very flexible casing with a thin glued-on tread will take...especially as compared to some of the "tunnel queen"-type tires like the GP4000S that have a decidedly parabolic profile molded into the tread area?

This sounds like something that could be studied with CFD...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
sebo2000 wrote:
I later loaned that Aerostick system to the engineers at Felt, and didn't find out until the bikes were revealed, but apparently it was used during the development of their "left side" track bikes. The guys at Felt sent me a kit (jersey/shorts) as thanks for the loaner. But, in the end, nothing mentioned in this paragraph has to do with the Crr spreadsheet.

Funny how that worked out! Such a small world, eh?
Quote Reply
Re: Crr for the Conti GP TT?...and more... [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
sebo2000 wrote:
I later loaned that Aerostick system to the engineers at Felt, and didn't find out until the bikes were revealed, but apparently it was used during the development of their "left side" track bikes. The guys at Felt sent me a kit (jersey/shorts) as thanks for the loaner. But, in the end, nothing mentioned in this paragraph has to do with the Crr spreadsheet.

Funny how that worked out! Such a small world of bike aero geeks, eh?

Fixed it for you :-)

Quote Reply

Prev Next