Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Crr for the Conti GP TT?...and more... [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have Michelin pro 4 tubulars that have latex tubes and removable cores ?

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Crr for the Conti GP TT?...and more... [WD Pro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Key in your statement is "tubular." They haven't been making RVC latex tubes for clinchers. That doesn't mean it won't change.
Quote Reply
Re: Crr for the Conti GP TT?...and more... [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
RChung wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

Also, I think Michelin stopped making latex tubes a couple of years ago...

I bought a couple when I was in France last summer.

New Old Stock (NOS)?

https://www.bike24.de/...earch=Michelin+latex

Yeah, in a quick search, I found them on Wiggle and Chain Reaction as well...including the MTB sizes!

Then RChung sent me a pic of the side of one of the boxes he picked up in France last year. Here's what's printed on the side:

So, I guess when Michelin said they wouldn't be selling latex tubes any longer, they meant just in the US :-/

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Crr for the Conti GP TT?...and more... [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been using the Michelin mtn bike ones for years. They are quite thick and durable - careful about ordering schrader vs. presta - I've made that mistake.

I haven't had great luck with the Michelin road versions. All mine seem to fail at the base of the stem. On my last pair I tried gluing a piece of an old latex tube around this area to kind of 'beef it up' and it did seem to work. The pink Vittorias are my go-to now though.

Bonesbrigade wrote:
I've been using the Michelin mtn bike ones for years. They are quite thick and durable - careful about ordering schrader vs. presta - I've made that mistake.

I haven't had great luck with the Michelin road versions. All mine seem to fail at the base of the stem. On my last pair I tried gluing a piece of an old latex tube around this area to kind of 'beef it up' and it did seem to work. The pink Vittorias are my go-to now though.

I've never used latex tubes. Building a couple of models on bestbikesplit for IM St. George 70.3 (chosen because it's my first race of the year) gives a time advantage of 81 seconds for the latex tubes. I understand that latex tubes are much more...finicky? than butyl tubes. Is that time savings worth the latex hassle? I'm asking because I honestly have no idea what the 'latex hassle' is.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Crr for the Conti GP TT?...and more... [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think there's really any more of a hassle. Maybe an extra 30 seconds to ensure none of the tube is sticking out on the tire. But besides that's I think it's pretty simple. Pump them up a bit, put them in the tire, get tire all the way on rim (careful if using tool), deflate, check tube, pump up and ride smooth!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PSA: Pro Bike Kit UK is selling the TT at 42 ea. Looks like I will be trying a new tires this year. : )
Still love the GP4K II and will continue to use it for training and rougher race courses.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
Bonesbrigade wrote:

I've never used latex tubes. Building a couple of models on bestbikesplit for IM St. George 70.3 (chosen because it's my first race of the year) gives a time advantage of 81 seconds for the latex tubes. I understand that latex tubes are much more...finicky? than butyl tubes. Is that time savings worth the latex hassle? I'm asking because I honestly have no idea what the 'latex hassle' is.

The hassle is mostly in setup (using tubeless-style rim tape helps a LOT in my experience, i.e. "Stan's" or the like) and learning to install them without having the tube under the bead before inflation. jackmott did a good article here (and I gave him the title idea :-)

http://austintriathlonstore.blogspot.com/.../01/latex-tubes.html

Otherwise, the only things you'll notice is that you'll need to inflate more often, and that they pinch flat/puncture less than butyl. Oh, and that they actually "feel" nicer (at least they do to me :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I gotta say, that's a pretty strong endorsement. I pump my tires before most rides anyway.

Edit: Ha! Just read that blog post. I ALWAYS check and double check my tube around the whole circumference of the tire to make sure none is sticking out. My friends think I'm insane.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Last edited by: CCF: Jan 23, 17 15:54
Quote Reply
Re: Crr for the Conti GP TT?...and more... [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 25 GP TT mounted on my rear wheel now. Been riding it for about a year. Put it on to test it out then just never took it off.

Edit just to say - what was I thinking by responding without reading all the comments first. Shockingly someone else already pointed this out before me. But hey, one more notch on the post count...
Last edited by: Jnags7: Jan 23, 17 19:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom - this is invaluable work. Can I ask your opinion on my setup?

Currently running 22 Attack, and 24 Force on an 808 and a Super 9, which doesnt look too bad on the face of it. Michelin Latex Tubes also.

Have considered a 23 GP4kS2, and 25 GP4kS2, much value in changing these out? or just changing the front out? I seem to flit backwards and forwards between tire choice for 2017, and its going to end up costing me a lot of money!

Cheers,

Austin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[quote Tom A.][font "Arial"]You'll find it here:[/font]
[url "http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/2017/01/getting-caught-up-ii.html"]
[/url]
[font "Arial"][url "http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/2017/01/getting-caught-up-ii.html"]http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/...ng-caught-up-ii.html[/url][/font]

Summary:

Continental GP TT 23C = .0028, 26W for pair @ 40kph
Continental GP Force 24C = .0030, 27W for pair @ 40kph
Continental SuperSonic 20C = .0030, 28W for pair @ 40kph
Continental GP4000SII 25C = .0031, 28W for pair @ 40kph
Spec. S-Works Turbo TL 26C = .0032, 30W for pair @ 40kph (tubeless)
Continental GP Attack 22C = .0033, 31W for pair @ 40kph
Continental GP4000SII 23C = .0034, 31W for pair @ 40kph
Schwalbe One Tubeless 25C = .0037, 34W for pair @ 40kph
Schwalbe One Tubeless 23C = .0041, 38W for pair @ 40kph
Felt TTR1 23C = .0048, 45W for pair @ 40kph
Continental Gatorskin 25C = .0048, 45W for pair @ 40kph
Continental Gatorskin 23C = .0052, 48W for pair @ 40kph[/quote]

Really great work, thanks a lot for sharing Tom.

If you don't mind asking, can you share who is sponsoring those tests, is it paid assignment? Do you buy the tires yourself or get them for free for review? Just curios if this is independent test or sponsored by tire/wheel manufacturer?
Quote Reply
Re: Crr for the Conti GP TT?...and more... [sebo2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sebo2000 wrote:

If you don't mind asking, can you share who is sponsoring those tests, is it paid assignment? Do you buy the tires yourself or get them for free for review? Just curios if this is independent test or sponsored by tire/wheel manufacturer?

Thanks. It's all sponsored by ME. I'm a hobbyist and this is just something I do in my spare time.

The tires are sourced variously. I usually mention where the source of the tires are in the posts I make on the results, but here are some examples of what's happened in the past:
  • A lot of times, I just buy them myself because I'm curious (such as the Corsa Speed TLRs that just arrived yesterday). Sometimes the tires are sent to me by other cyclists. A surprisingly large number of the tires in my spreadsheet were sourced in these ways.
  • There have been times that tires have been supplied by wheel manufacturers. For example, the majority of the tires in the post above where sent to me by the guys at Flo, and are the SAME tires they used in their wind tunnel tests. I've known Jon and Chris for a while now, and I did that roller testing for them both because I really liked the way the data was going to be presented (aero drag + rolling resistance) and they've been extremely kind to me in the past (such as sending me a wheel after hearing that mine was stolen). Another example is when I tested a bunch of tires for Zipp when they were developing their latest line of Tangente tires. They sent me competitor tires to test along with their own.
  • A couple years back, when Greg Kopecky was with ST, he had sourced a large group of tires from various manufacturers (Vittoria, Challenge, Michelin, etc.) which he then sent to me for testing so he could include that information in his reviews hosted here on ST. I had already written a couple of technical articles for ST at that time.
  • I've developed a relationship over the years with a couple of the technical guys at Specialized, and at various times they've had their tire guys send me models to test, if they think I'd be interested.

In none of those cases have I ever been paid to do the testing with cash. Sometimes I'm allowed to keep the tires that are sent to me, but many (most?) times the owner merely pays for the shipping for them to be returned. Of the ones I get to keep, if they aren't something I'd likely use myself, I'll give them to friends to use. For the Zipp testing, they wanted all of the tests to be done on their disc for consistency, so they sent me a Super9 for the clincher testing, along with a handful of tubular discs with tires already glued on (I told them I wouldn't do the gluing ;-) The tubular discs were all returned at the end, but they generously told me I could hold onto the Super9 in case they wanted some more tires tested in the future. Unfortunately, that wheel too was stolen (during the same garage break-in that the Flo wheel was taken - along with 3 road bikes...bastards!)

I've had bike industry manufacturers approach me before about how much I charge for testing...and I always say "I don't know what to charge...I'm just doing this for fun." If it's something I feel I want to spend the time on, then I'll either do it just because I'm curious, or we'll figure out some sort of exchange...I had one manufacturer give me a couple of water bottle cages as "compensation", for example ;-)

About the only time I felt I was "paid" for doing roller testing, was when I was approached by Andy Froncioni of Alphamantis. He had a customer who wanted to get some controlled information on some prototype tires they were developing. Andy contacted me to see if I was interested in providing that testing...and he insisted on paying me for the work. Since I had no idea what to "charge", he offered to send to me one of the few protoype Alphamantis Aerostick systems as compensation. I was a bit shocked by that, but wasn't going to say no ;-) Obviously, since the tires I tested at that time were prototypes for that particular manufacturer, those test results never made it into the tire listing spreadsheet. Interestingly enough, I later loaned that Aerostick system to the engineers at Felt, and didn't find out until the bikes were revealed, but apparently it was used during the development of their "left side" track bikes. The guys at Felt sent me a kit (jersey/shorts) as thanks for the loaner. But, in the end, nothing mentioned in this paragraph has to do with the Crr spreadsheet.

So...I guess that a long way of saying "not sponsored"...I just wanted to put that all out there to be totally transparent on what my motivations are. It's really just technical/sporting curiosity on my part. Yeah, it's not as "independent" as a "Consumer Reports"-type review (where all tires are bought in a shop or online), but it's fairly autonomous. I just report the data as I find it.

I hope that answers your question.

Last edited by: Tom A.: Jan 24, 17 7:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"That result for the GP TT makes it the new "top dog" for brand new tires I've roller tested. One caveat on that tire though...it measures much larger (24.6mm) than it's rated 23C on my narrow Mavic Open Pro rim, or nearly 2mm wider than a Continental SuperSonic 23C (22.8mm) on the same rim, and is only .0001 lower Crr (~1W difference at 40kph for a pair, or what I consider "tied")."

Tom, from your statement above, when Cda is taken into account what's your guess as to how these two tires compare?

Thank you for sharing your "hobby" results with all of us. I have to admit it is tremendous fun trying to find these marginal gains.

Tim
Quote Reply
Re: Crr for the Conti GP TT?...and more... [TPerry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TPerry wrote:
"That result for the GP TT makes it the new "top dog" for brand new tires I've roller tested. One caveat on that tire though...it measures much larger (24.6mm) than it's rated 23C on my narrow Mavic Open Pro rim, or nearly 2mm wider than a Continental SuperSonic 23C (22.8mm) on the same rim, and is only .0001 lower Crr (~1W difference at 40kph for a pair, or what I consider "tied")."

Tom, from your statement above, when Cda is taken into account what's your guess as to how these two tires compare?

Thank you for sharing your "hobby" results with all of us. I have to admit it is tremendous fun trying to find these marginal gains.

Tim

Without any aero data to go on, my guess would be the SS23 would be slightly faster overall, especially between 0-10deg of yaw angle. In any case, it's tough to go wrong with either as a choice.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you interested in doing a test on the newer SS 23 mm? If you are interested, I can send you a pair if you don't have some already.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
[
A lot of times, I just buy them myself because I'm curious (such as the Corsa Speed TLRs that just arrived yesterday).

Boom!
Quote Reply
Re: Crr for the Conti GP TT?...and more... [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Are you interested in doing a test on the newer SS 23 mm? If you are interested, I can send you a pair if you don't have some already.

I'll probably get a chance at some point. In any case, it's not that difficult to do yourself...or, at least do a side-by-side comparison to another tire you're interested in http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/...ollers-chartand.html

I HIGHLY encourage people to try for themselves :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
sebo2000 wrote:

Thanks. It's all sponsored by ME. I'm a hobbyist and this is just something I do in my spare time.

The tires are sourced variously. I usually mention where the source of the tires are in the posts I make on the results, but here are some examples of what's happened in the past:
  • A lot of times, I just buy them myself because I'm curious (such as the Corsa Speed TLRs that just arrived yesterday). Sometimes the tires are sent to me by other cyclists. A surprisingly large number of the tires in my spreadsheet were sourced in these ways.
  • There have been times that tires have been supplied by wheel manufacturers. For example, the majority of the tires in the post above where sent to me by the guys at Flo, and are the SAME tires they used in their wind tunnel tests. I've known Jon and Chris for a while now, and I did that roller testing for them both because I really liked the way the data was going to be presented (aero drag + rolling resistance) and they've been extremely kind to me in the past (such as sending me a wheel after hearing that mine was stolen). Another example is when I tested a bunch of tires for Zipp when they were developing their latest line of Tangente tires. They sent me competitor tires to test along with their own.
  • A couple years back, when Greg Kopecky was with ST, he had sourced a large group of tires from various manufacturers (Vittoria, Challenge, Michelin, etc.) which he then sent to me for testing so he could include that information in his reviews hosted here on ST. I had already written a couple of technical articles for ST at that time.
  • I've developed a relationship over the years with a couple of the technical guys at Specialized, and at various times they've had their tire guys send me models to test, if they think I'd be interested.

In none of those cases have I ever been paid to do the testing with cash. Sometimes I'm allowed to keep the tires that are sent to me, but many (most?) times the owner merely pays for the shipping for them to be returned. Of the ones I get to keep, if they aren't something I'd likely use myself, I'll give them to friends to use. For the Zipp testing, they wanted all of the tests to be done on their disc for consistency, so they sent me a Super9 for the clincher testing, along with a handful of tubular discs with tires already glued on (I told them I wouldn't do the gluing ;-) The tubular discs were all returned at the end, but they generously told me I could hold onto the Super9 in case they wanted some more tires tested in the future. Unfortunately, that wheel too was stolen (during the same garage break-in that the Flo wheel was taken - along with 3 road bikes...bastards!)

I've had bike industry manufacturers approach me before about how much I charge for testing...and I always say "I don't know what to charge...I'm just doing this for fun." If it's something I feel I want to spend the time on, then I'll either do it just because I'm curious, or we'll figure out some sort of exchange...I had one manufacturer give me a couple of water bottle cages as "compensation", for example ;-)

About the only time I felt I was "paid" for doing roller testing, was when I was approached by Andy Froncioni of Alphamantis. He had a customer who wanted to get some controlled information on some prototype tires they were developing. Andy contacted me to see if I was interested in providing that testing...and he insisted on paying me for the work. Since I had no idea what to "charge", he offered to send to me one of the few protoype Alphamantis Aerostick systems as compensation. I was a bit shocked by that, but wasn't going to say no ;-) Obviously, since the tires I tested at that time were prototypes for that particular manufacturer, those test results never made it into the tire listing spreadsheet. Interestingly enough, I later loaned that Aerostick system to the engineers at Felt, and didn't find out until the bikes were revealed, but apparently it was used during the development of their "left side" track bikes. The guys at Felt sent me a kit (jersey/shorts) as thanks for the loaner. But, in the end, nothing mentioned in this paragraph has to do with the Crr spreadsheet.

So...I guess that a long way of saying "not sponsored"...I just wanted to put that all out there to be totally transparent on what my motivations are. It's really just technical/sporting curiosity on my part. Yeah, it's not as "independent" as a "Consumer Reports"-type review (where all tires are bought in a shop or online), but it's fairly autonomous. I just report the data as I find it.

I hope that answers your question.

Thanks for your great and quite comprehensive response, it makes your research/findings and hard work so much more valuable and respectable not only in my eyes, but also in thousands of people that are totally sick and tired of all the marketing blob BS.

You are the "reason" I'm on TTs and supersonic for quite long time now :), I was just trying to make sure nothing has changed in the last few years and you continue to be THE BEST and only source of bicycle tire truly independent testing. Wheel, few tires and bottle cages in multi-million dollar industry is not even a question.

Thanks a lot for your work, I enjoy reading any independent blogs\ empirical research and observations a lot, I do not even look at the marketing flyers anymore :)
Quote Reply
Re: Crr for the Conti GP TT?...and more... [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
I've just switched to Gatorskins for my road bike which coincided with a month off cycling and have really struggled. I put it down to lack of cycling fitness, but perhaps the Gatorskins are a significant contributor??

On a podcast, the TrainerRoad and Flocycling guys noted a recent Kona contender had raced on gatorskins. They calculated how much time he lost doing that, and sure enough, it was enough that he would have won the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:

I installed them when I got my new wheels. Certainly no big deal with installation. You can't pinch them - sure, but you can't pinch butyl, either, so I don't see the difference.

Had them on the bike for about 4 weeks, couple of outdoor rides using F&R latex tubes. Most of the time has been the front with a latex tube, and a trainer tire with butyl tubes on the rear. No issues so far. You have to pump them up every time you ride - again I do not see the big deal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Yeah, in a quick search, I found them on Wiggle and Chain Reaction as well...including the MTB sizes!

Then RChung sent me a pic of the side of one of the boxes he picked up in France last year. Here's what's printed on the side:

So, I guess when Michelin said they wouldn't be selling latex tubes any longer, they meant just in the US :-/

The ones I found a couple weeks ago must be old stock.

I'll give them a whirl once winter leaves the IL/WI area.
Quote Reply
Re: Crr for the Conti GP TT?...and more... [alathIN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alathIN wrote:
zedzded wrote:
I've just switched to Gatorskins for my road bike which coincided with a month off cycling and have really struggled. I put it down to lack of cycling fitness, but perhaps the Gatorskins are a significant contributor??

On a podcast, the TrainerRoad and Flocycling guys noted a recent Kona contender had raced on gatorskins. They calculated how much time he lost doing that, and sure enough, it was enough that he could have won the race.

I thought this correction might be a bit more accurate ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I fired up the good old rollers today. Then I got out "old greenie" -- the only Michelin 18-20c latex tube ever made with a long valve stem and the one I used for all my roller tests over a decade ago!

Here are the preliminary numbers:

Conti GP TT: 0.278
Vittoria Open Corsa: .232

On my rollers with a stand, it was a 12 watt difference -- 71 vs. 59 to go ~25mph. Not even close.

Incidentally, on this rim, the width of the Conti TT measured 23.15 and the Vittoria only 22.71. I didn't adjust for the difference in wheel circumference, so that would improve the numbers for the Conti somewhat.

This is just a preliminary run -- I didn't carefully measure temperature like Tom and Alan do. But the difference is large enough that I know what I will be using.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Last edited by: jens: Jan 26, 17 20:23
Quote Reply
Re: Crr for the Conti GP TT?...and more... [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doesn't make sense compared with Tom's testing. he had GP TT at 13w per tire at 40kph. if you take 12w off that puts your corsa at 1w
Quote Reply

Prev Next