Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [boothrand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
and here's my guess, the next one is going to be Zen meditation increases performance.
Damn...I was hoping it was to going be frequent orgasm's increase performance..(triathlon, that is)

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nah....that just grows hair on your palms.

Badabing!
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [M Marriott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only have a moment here today, but I'll try to make my point quickly and succinctly.

1. At this point in my life, its going to take something substantially more than: "if you've got the guts" to get my attention. I am happy to let someone "sit in" on a few of my workouts and see if they can hang, because I'm going to be doing the same workout regardless.

2. And really, if I were to take my time and come up there to cherry pic some CF event, that'd be a pretty lame-assed thing to do; like beating up a little kid or something. NO, I think the challenge (as stated by an earlier CF post-er) is pretty good "as is".

3. This is an OPEN INVITATION, any CF'r who wishes to come do this AG'rs weekly training program can just PM me. This is as transparent an offer as I can create. No hostility, I"ll be nice; I promise. Like I said, this is what I do week in and week out anyway....................

persequetur vestra metas furiose
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [boothrand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
As you can see from the positive comments about CFE here, the ironic thing about this exercise program and debate is that the program will most likely be adopted in triathlon training programs, and by triathletes, just like triathlon absorbs every new training and technique fad, much like Total Immersion, Natural Running, Pose Method, Chi Running, Core Strength Training, and now Yoga. Yoga is hot right now. But so is core strength. And it seems like every year, its something else.

In five years, it may be Karate or Judo, helps triathlon endurance or performance, or, and here's my guess, the next one is going to be Zen meditation increases performance.

None of these fads (aside from the ones that ARE swimming, biking or running, like TI and Pose/Chi) replace swimming, biking or running. And none of them will necessarily help you beat someone who's just swimming, biking and running.
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [tsmagnum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This certainly has been an interesting thread. I agree that CF/CFE could help athletes more like me, ie. not very good ATM. I cannot see how squatting 350 lbs will/would help me qualify for Kona. Not sure if anything could. In general, strength training, core strength and flexabily most likly will help to an extent. At 5' 10", 235 lbs, and no, i am not fat anymore, anything that adds even more weight to me, will kill me on a hilly bike course and any run.
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [E_moto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Only have a moment here today, but I'll try to make my point quickly and succinctly.

1. At this point in my life, its going to take something substantially more than: "if you've got the guts" to get my attention. I am happy to let someone "sit in" on a few of my workouts and see if they can hang, because I'm going to be doing the same workout regardless.

2. And really, if I were to take my time and come up there to cherry pic some CF event, that'd be a pretty lame-assed thing to do; like beating up a little kid or something. NO, I think the challenge (as stated by an earlier CF post-er) is pretty good "as is".

3. This is an OPEN INVITATION, any CF'r who wishes to come do this AG'rs weekly training program can just PM me. This is as transparent an offer as I can create. No hostility, I"ll be nice; I promise. Like I said, this is what I do week in and week out anyway....................

Your right. The "If you've go the guts" comment was childish and uncalled for.
For that I apologize.
V/R
Mike Marriott
LtCol USMC, Retired
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmmmm.....How to be mediocre in 10 hours or less. Stick to training fat old people champ.
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [Rocketman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Indeed Rocket Man...I think it's gonna be a long long time...(sorry for the bad joke...it's the morning)
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry for bringing up an old post but I just found this forum through a crossfit affiliate posting and it's really a great topic that I think will only heat up over the next 5 to 10 years.

First, I am no elite athlete but I am an experienced competitive swimmer, track runner, XC runner, mtn biker, cyclist (RR, TT and Crit), boxer (yes, its and endurance sport...try it!) and triathlete.
With regard to CF (not CFE), the purpose is to develope the highest levels of overall fitness that can be applied to all physical challenges. While a CF athlete might not be the best 10k runner they would not be that far behind a comparable 10k runner and then CRUSH the 10k runner at any task involving strength, speed, power, coordination (all aspects of fitness). CF proudly claims it is not about specializing but in developing the highest level of general fitness. It show cases a world class decathlete as a better example of fitness than a marathoner... makes sense if your definition of fitness includes endurance, stamina, strength, speed, power, coordination.
There is a reason that the Marine Corps, SPECOPS/SEALs, fire fighters, law enforcement, UFC fighters are rushing to CF. It's not because its cool and trendy its because it works. Look at the list I just layed out...these are people that rely on fitness for their lives!! Some have posted that Marine PFT scores have gone down because of CF. First I would say that the PFT is a specialized event. Lower scores could mean the Marine grew in some other capacity that increased overall fitness...such as improved deadlift capabilty or faster sprint...two thing that I think are more significant to a combat bound Marine than sit ups. Second, perhaps the units implementation of CF was flawed- that is fairly common. Third, for every story that has been posted how CF made a Marine/soldier less fit I have read ten that say the opposite. One that comes to memory was of a 40-something Gunney that did nothing but CF (no CFE) and CRUSHED the PFT, far surpassing his PFT scores as a young Marine. Here's one from personal experience. During my last tour in the navy I was an officer recruiter and one of the other recruiters was a SEAL. I had been doing CF for about 5 months when I got him into it. Six months later he said he was in the best shape of his life...better than when he graduated from BUD/s!

With regard to CFE it is unproven in elite levels of competition, granted, BUT does that mean it should automatically be thrown out? There are a lot of dismissive attitudes here that would lend me to believe a lot of you know everything there is to know about training. The fact is that no one does... we will all learn more and better techniques. That is unless we are too close minded. Also, what is considered to be the pinnacle of performance today (Allen, Macca, Armstrong) does not dictate the truth of tomorrow. We might all be surprised in 10 years and find out that CFE had it right. All I am saying is be more open minded...maybe even try a CF workout!

On the CFE principles, they are interesting and could provide some value. I remember from all my forms of competition that swimming was the only sport that I did intervals every day. When I first got into tris I learned swimming was the only discipline where you could do intervals every workout without having problems...so you do intervals. Why? Because its the most effective even for racing distances of +500 meters. Yes, you put in the yardage but its all intervals. Maybe there is something to learn from that.
Lastly, as stated I am not some elite athlete and I would wager that neither are most of you. If you could spend 1/3 of your time training and still get good if not better results at the amatuer level and spend more time with friends, family and other passions, why wouldnt you? Why wouldnt you at least look into it?

-Andre
Last edited by: XFitRunner: Jul 21, 09 9:03
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [XFitRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kool-aid

------------------------------
Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [Vagabond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
kool-aid

Life has taught me that when you question someone's beliefs, the way they view the world, their values they are threathened and can become dismissive or combative. They will dismiss your ideas not by addressing them but by dismissing you with insults. This just means they are afraid of your ideas and what it might do to theirs.

Oh, and thanks for reiterating my point on close mindedness.
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [XFitRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Also, what is considered to be the pinnacle of performance today (Allen, Macca, Armstrong) does not dictate the truth of tomorrow. We might all be surprised in 10 years and find out that CFE had it right.

//

Yes you put in the yardage but its all intervals. Maybe there is something to learn from that.
You realize that those athletes that you mention - Allen, Macca, Armstrong - span close to 20 years of top level athletic competition and that they basic tenets of how they train extend at least as far back as Emil Zatopek (1950s), who - maybe it's news to you - was actually one of the folks who brought the concept of interval training to endurance running a good 50+ years before CF even existed (at least as a marketed program). So if you want to say that in 10 years from now, we'll see that how elite athletes have been training for the past 60 or so years is incorrect, be my guest, especially when your argument is contradictory - maybe not Allen so much, but certainly Macca & Armstrong know the lessons of "interval training" (which is really just proper endurance training) well. And as for your swimming analogy, it's not "all intervals." There is plenty of over-distance work as well (400m swimmers definitely do plenty of 800+ continuous "intervals" within their training). And part of the reason that intervals are more relevant for swimming is that even a swim race is basically a continuous set of intervals ranging from ~25yds - 50m in length. I can guarantee you that if there was the equivalent of a flip-turn in cycling or running, training would change to adapt to that, and run and bike training would likely look more like swim training. The same thing would also likely happen if the longest event in either running or biking lasted <20min. Any good cycling or running program also incorporates a good deal of interval work - either structured or unstructured "fartlek" style. Do a little research on Zatopek. So it's not only arrogant - it's ignorant - to say that there is a something to be learned from looking at intervals in swimming, as if somehow nobody ever thought of applying that to biking or running.

In Reply To:
While a CF athlete might not be the best 10k runner they would not be that far behind a comparable 10k runner and then CRUSH the 10k runner at any task involving strength, speed, power, coordination (all aspects of fitness).[/quote] That actually doesn't really make any sense as you've written it -- "they would not be that far behind a comparable 10k runner." Isn't that the definition of a "comparable" 10k runner? Someone that you are not too far behind/ahead of? So if you take a 40min 10km runner who only runs and a 41min 10km runner who also does CF, it is somehow supposed to be impressive that the guy who does CF stuff is better at the other stuff?

Here's what I'd argue: take a CF athlete and a typical triathlete. Pick guys who could run a roughly equivalent time for a mile, so not too biased towards endurance training or short distance training. Have both guys do a basic CrossFit benchmark workout (usually like a 500m row, some pull-ups, push-ups, etc.). And ALSO have them go to the pool and swim 1/2mile, then bike 10miles, and then run 3miles (with rest between). Then compare the percentage difference between the CF guy and the triathlete on the CF test and on the swim, bike, and run portions. Because here's what I think. Being able to competently swim, bike, and run are just as relevant in terms of "all aspects of fitness" as being able to do pull-ups, push-ups, and deadlifts. And that's really the fundamental problem that I have with CF. It's this air of superiority, that somehow being "CrossFit" is what fitness is really about, rather than being able to complete events that are just as useful in day to day life. Late for work? It's nice to be able to run to catch a bus or a train. Want to save on gasoline? Ride your bike to work. Swimming? Well, I think people just ought to know how to swim. It's a valuable life skill. Look at how many deaths there are from downing every year and then let's compare that with the number of times being able to do a pull-up would save your life. There are equally as many applications for triathlon fitness as CF fitness.

What I think would be most interesting would be to have a "get from A to B" competition and compare triathletes and CF athletes there. A test that is neither specific to CF style fitness nor endurance style fitness, but a competition where you use the skills you've got in whatever manner you can. And then see how folks stack up.

In the meantime, I think that every CrossFit evangelist ought to be forced to read Jack Daniels, Arthur Lydiard, Ernest Maglischo, Tudor Bompa and spend a little time learning about Zatopek, Shorter, Gebreselassie, LeMond, Merckx, and many more before they start speaking about all of the lessons CrossFit can offer. There are plenty of people who train stupidly, but that's not because it's not known how to train for endurance events. It's because people are stupid.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [nproximos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'm glad you caught that -- thats the importance of specificity for god's sake!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

CF goes against the principle of specificity of training which is proven. If you don't believe me - just become a swimmer for 6 months, then after that period of time try and run a 5k and see how it goes.

If I don't want to be good at anything in particular then i would be happy to do CF. Also because CF is relatively new I would be interested to see injury rates over the next couple of years due to the multitude of olympic lifting that is done and often done incorrectly at least from the videos i see posted on the internet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

There is a reason that the Marine Corps.... are rushing to CF. It's not because its cool and trendy its because it works. Look at the list I just layed out...these are people that rely on fitness for their lives!! Some have posted that Marine PFT scores have gone down because of CF. First I would say that the PFT is a specialized event. Lower scores could mean the Marine grew in some other capacity that increased overall fitness...such as improved deadlift capabilty or faster sprint...two thing that I think are more significant to a combat bound Marine than sit ups.
Lastly, as stated I am not some elite athlete and I would wager that neither are most of you. If you could spend 1/3 of your time training and still get good if not better results at the amatuer level and spend more time with friends, family and other passions, why wouldnt you? Why wouldnt you at least look into it?

-Andre
Laziness and time comes to mind here. Little easier on the schedule to knock out a 20 minute workout than do 2-4 hours of cardio, and you still feel like you did something, albeit not much. I tried the fad for several months to answer that question also. I still did cardio(30-40 MPW running) in addition to the base crossfit workout as if i did not i would get fat/slow. I was not impressed. I had far better results from the cross training program i had developed on my own. So much so that my PR for events like Fight Gone Bad were higher at the start than at the end (345 dropped to 320 iirc)

No reasonably fit Marine is struggling with Sit-ups. It's the Pull-ups and Run that kill their scores. Die hard cross fitters generally have the pull-ups down, which i promise is where the 40 Yr Old Marine improved his score from when he was young. It's the Aerobic event of a simple 3 mile run that kills them. Running a sub 18 minute 3 mile is not THAT hard with proper run training. While the basic PFT is no where near the end all indicator of fitness, it does show your aerobic fitness level.
As a Reconnaissance Marine, i've seen lots of training fads come and go. Thankfully crossfit has been on its way out since it spiked in popularity about a year ago.
Increasing your max deadlift doesn't help a team of Recon Operators make long range movements through the mountains with heavy packs where your heart is averaging 145 BPM for 4 hours and spiking in the 180's on hills. Funny enough, endurance training on a bike, running, swimming, and hiking with the pack itself does help this effort. Cross training with weights, gymnastics and plyometrics has it's role to help sustain core and other strengths, but cardiovascular endurance should be the bulk(70% or more) of the training.
There is not one crossfitting Marine in my unit i have not dropped on a ruck run by a large amount. Coincidently, my 3 mile is many minutes faster also. My aerobic capacity and muscular endurance is significantly higher as a result of better training.

Crossfitting makes you good at crossfit.

Andre, Crossfit is not a bad program. I am all about a program that the masses get excited about and follow. 99% of the population is going to see good results using crossfit as their base workout. The athletes here are focused on going long. No one here gives a shit about how fast they can complete helen. We are interested in completing Ironmans, Half's and Oly's as fast as we can.
To most here the satisfaction of setting a new PR riding our bikes up a 5000 Ft climb and gazing out over the mountains we just conquered is more satisfying than adding 10 pounds to a deadlift in a stuffy Gym where folks can't stop admiring themselves in the mirror.
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and... (to piggy back) if the cf athelete was a comprable runner, but was stronger then he is lacking endurance. Because as my college weight coach taught us (i am a swimmer) there is no race that is see who can go the longest. It is who can go this set distance the fastest. If he was a comprable runner, yet stronger as an athelete then he is lacking endurance. Since it is said that they could run at similar paces then it would suit the CF to improve his endurance slightly and he would be dominant. So in all honesty i agree that methods of training need to be constantly adapting to new ideas and trying new things especially as science improves it understanding of the human body. But in say this sport in general i think that there is a trade off. If say you took that great runner and added this to his program and his strength went up then he would be faster. I read an article that i am sure ill never find (strength coach gave me) that says that endurance athletes can see better improvement by replacing one endurance workout a week with strength training. It comes down to who has the fastest time over that distance increase strength while maintaining endurance you will get faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where's the x-fit forum I can log into where I can regurgitate somebody else's theories about the benefits of triathlon training on a bunch of people who aren't interested in my goals or what I have to say in a condescending, "holier than though" tone?

-------------------------------
Ignorance is bliss until they take your bliss away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Sorry for bringing up an old post
While a CF athlete might not be the best 10k runner they would not be that far behind a comparable 10k runner and then CRUSH the 10k runner at any task involving strength, speed, power, coordination (all aspects of fitness).

I'm sorry that you brought this up too.

You know, I have never seen that asterisk on a 10K results page. You know, the one that denotes this guy could kick the winner ass in throwing around a kettle ball and should be taken in account for his results.

repeat after me. base, build and peak. throw in your cf if you want, but it comes down to those three words in all three sports. If you have time for anything else, good on you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironically, your first post was an answer to my post, and I happen to be one of those who's tried CrossFit. I've been doing it for 2 months, because I wanted to try (since going to a gym is waaaayy to boring) and because I have some time right now to actually try.
My experience is that, first, it's actually fun. There is always some competition, when you workout 20min, you really workout 20min, unlike when you hit the gym.
Second, I'm lucky I guess. The place where I go, the guys have all majored in exercise physio, and understand training very well. They're aware that the best training for a sport, is sport specific. They won't tell you that CF will make you a better runner if you're already a 32min 10km runner, but they will say that it may help overall fitness if you're in the 50min range, and they may have a point (keep in mind that 32min is still amateurish for a 10km...it's not elite by any means).
Third, you'd be surprised how well trained triathletes would do at CF. Except for days with super heavy reps (that I just avoid because I don't want to bulk up one bit), all the other days, if there is 'as many rep as possible' (amrap) for a given time, or X reps and go for time, where you tap into more endurance stuff, LT etc...I always have more reps or lower times than anyone (and I'm far from a big guy, at 140lbs)...
That said, I'll go on for a bit, because I'm enjoying it :)
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Also, what is considered to be the pinnacle of performance today (Allen, Macca, Armstrong) does not dictate the truth of tomorrow. We might all be surprised in 10 years and find out that CFE had it right.

//

Yes you put in the yardage but its all intervals. Maybe there is something to learn from that.
You realize that those athletes that you mention - Allen, Macca, Armstrong - span close to 20 years of top level athletic competition and that they basic tenets of how they train extend at least as far back as Emil Zatopek (1950s), who - maybe it's news to you - was actually one of the folks who brought the concept of interval training to endurance running a good 50+ years before CF even existed (at least as a marketed program). So if you want to say that in 10 years from now, we'll see that how elite athletes have been training for the past 60 or so years is incorrect, be my guest, especially when your argument is contradictory - maybe not Allen so much, but certainly Macca & Armstrong know the lessons of "interval training" (which is really just proper endurance training) well. And as for your swimming analogy, it's not "all intervals." There is plenty of over-distance work as well (400m swimmers definitely do plenty of 800+ continuous "intervals" within their training). And part of the reason that intervals are more relevant for swimming is that even a swim race is basically a continuous set of intervals ranging from ~25yds - 50m in length. I can guarantee you that if there was the equivalent of a flip-turn in cycling or running, training would change to adapt to that, and run and bike training would likely look more like swim training. The same thing would also likely happen if the longest event in either running or biking lasted <20min. Any good cycling or running program also incorporates a good deal of interval work - either structured or unstructured "fartlek" style. Do a little research on Zatopek. So it's not only arrogant - it's ignorant - to say that there is a something to be learned from looking at intervals in swimming, as if somehow nobody ever thought of applying that to biking or running.

In Reply To:
While a CF athlete might not be the best 10k runner they would not be that far behind a comparable 10k runner and then CRUSH the 10k runner at any task involving strength, speed, power, coordination (all aspects of fitness).[/quote] That actually doesn't really make any sense as you've written it -- "they would not be that far behind a comparable 10k runner." Isn't that the definition of a "comparable" 10k runner? Someone that you are not too far behind/ahead of? So if you take a 40min 10km runner who only runs and a 41min 10km runner who also does CF, it is somehow supposed to be impressive that the guy who does CF stuff is better at the other stuff?

Here's what I'd argue: take a CF athlete and a typical triathlete. Pick guys who could run a roughly equivalent time for a mile, so not too biased towards endurance training or short distance training. Have both guys do a basic CrossFit benchmark workout (usually like a 500m row, some pull-ups, push-ups, etc.). And ALSO have them go to the pool and swim 1/2mile, then bike 10miles, and then run 3miles (with rest between). Then compare the percentage difference between the CF guy and the triathlete on the CF test and on the swim, bike, and run portions. Because here's what I think. Being able to competently swim, bike, and run are just as relevant in terms of "all aspects of fitness" as being able to do pull-ups, push-ups, and deadlifts. And that's really the fundamental problem that I have with CF. It's this air of superiority, that somehow being "CrossFit" is what fitness is really about, rather than being able to complete events that are just as useful in day to day life. Late for work? It's nice to be able to run to catch a bus or a train. Want to save on gasoline? Ride your bike to work. Swimming? Well, I think people just ought to know how to swim. It's a valuable life skill. Look at how many deaths there are from downing every year and then let's compare that with the number of times being able to do a pull-up would save your life. There are equally as many applications for triathlon fitness as CF fitness.

What I think would be most interesting would be to have a "get from A to B" competition and compare triathletes and CF athletes there. A test that is neither specific to CF style fitness nor endurance style fitness, but a competition where you use the skills you've got in whatever manner you can. And then see how folks stack up.

In the meantime, I think that every CrossFit evangelist ought to be forced to read Jack Daniels, Arthur Lydiard, Ernest Maglischo, Tudor Bompa and spend a little time learning about Zatopek, Shorter, Gebreselassie, LeMond, Merckx, and many more before they start speaking about all of the lessons CrossFit can offer. There are plenty of people who train stupidly, but that's not because it's not known how to train for endurance events. It's because people are stupid.
Wow, I thought I kept my post as cordial and tame as possible. Some amazing responses here considering that I made no grand or outlandish claims.

First, no where did I imply that interval training is something new to endurance sports that was bestowed upon us by CF. And it may be news to you but the ancient Greeks were doing intervals for their distance runners thousands of years before Zatopek. Your accusation is in itself "arrogant" and "ignorant".
Second, I never claimed that the training of the past 60 years was incorrect...unless by that you were refering to my wild claim that there will be improvements in the future. Improvement does not mean everything prior was incorrect. Do you not believe there will be improvements, CF or otherwise?
Third, I dont agree with your comparison of a swim race to a series of intervals. A flip turn does not provide the adequate opportunity to rest between the next maximal effort. I'm not sure of your training but when I do intervals I take breaks longer than 5 seconds and I actually allow myself to breathe. And cycling would be a better comparison...sitting in the peloton waiting for a break or the next climb.
Fourth, admittedly my use of the word "comparable" is inadequate. A better example would be if you took a world class decathlete and stacked them up against a world class 10k runner, the decathlete would be closer to the runner, in terms of percentage, on the 10k run than the 10k runner would any decathlon event or any event that required speed, power, strenght....
Fifth, I 100% AGREE WITH YOU THAT ENDURANCE (and the ability to bike, swim and run well) ARE JUST AS AN IMPORTANT ASPECT OF FITNESS AS ANYTHING ELSE...problem is do you or others here really believe that? That implies that strength, power and speed are just as important as endurance. If everyone here believed that then we wouldnt have this debate.

Also, CrossFit is ABSOLUTELY all about fitness that can be applied to every day life. "...strive to blur distinctions between "cardio" and strength training. NATURE HAS NO REGARD FOR THIS DISTINCTION.' ---CrossFit. Run for the bus or train? Unless you are running 10k in your work clothes to catch said bus I am guessing the CFer is going to out sprint the average triathlete to the bus stop. Where do some of you get the idea that there is no cardio development or even running in CF. Just because you are not doing "cardio" doesnt mean you are not developing your cardiovascular system. Plus, CF leads to a balance of skeletal strength which helps in everyday life. Swimming is a skill. I havent been in the pool for a while and would consider myself out of swimming shape but I still have the skill to not drown and even out swim someone that is in shape but a bad swmmer.
Sixth, with regard to your "get from a to b" type race it really depends on how you set it up. I would argue that if it called for equal parts endurance, strength, power, speed, coordination, agility then the CF would beat out the triathlete. If you would set it up otherwise then that only proves that you do not hold up those other capacities with the same regard as endurance.
Seveth, are you implying that I have to study all those greats to have an opinion that might have any value? Talk about an "air of superiority".
Eigth, may of you are right by saying that you need to specialize in a sport to be competitive in it. No where does CF argue otherwise and CFE is simply the attempt utilize the CF principles and help endurance athletes specialize in a different, they would argue, better/more efficient manner.
Finally, NO WHERE DID I SAY OR IMPLY THAT CF ENDURANCE WAS BETTER THAN WHAT YOU OR ANYONE ELSE DOES!!!!! IN FACT I AM NOT ENTIRELY CONVINCED MYSELF!! (seriously, some of you are a little defensive) CFE is an interesting concept that should be explored and tested before it is so willfully disregarded...what is wrong with that idea?
Last edited by: XFitRunner: Jul 21, 09 11:23
Quote Reply
Re: Crossfit Endurance article: says endurance athletes don't know how to train [Karaya0321] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

There is a reason that the Marine Corps.... are rushing to CF. It's not because its cool and trendy its because it works. Look at the list I just layed out...these are people that rely on fitness for their lives!! Some have posted that Marine PFT scores have gone down because of CF. First I would say that the PFT is a specialized event. Lower scores could mean the Marine grew in some other capacity that increased overall fitness...such as improved deadlift capabilty or faster sprint...two thing that I think are more significant to a combat bound Marine than sit ups.

-Andre
Laziness and time comes to mind here. Little easier on the schedule to knock out a 20 minute workout than do 2-4 hours of cardio, and you still feel like you did something, albeit not much. I tried the fad for several months to answer that question also. I still did cardio(30-40 MPW running) in addition to the base crossfit workout as if i did not i would get fat/slow. I was not impressed. I had far better results from the cross training program i had developed on my own. So much so that my PR for events like Fight Gone Bad were higher at the start than at the end (345 dropped to 320 iirc)

No reasonably fit Marine is struggling with Sit-ups. It's the Pull-ups and Run that kill their scores. Die hard cross fitters generally have the pull-ups down, which i promise is where the 40 Yr Old Marine improved his score from when he was young. It's the Aerobic event of a simple 3 mile run that kills them. Running a sub 18 minute 3 mile is not THAT hard with proper run training. While the basic PFT is no where near the end all indicator of fitness, it does show your aerobic fitness level.
As a Reconnaissance Marine, i've seen lots of training fads come and go. Thankfully crossfit has been on its way out since it spiked in popularity about a year ago.
Increasing your max deadlift doesn't help a team of Recon Operators make long range movements through the mountains with heavy packs where your heart is averaging 145 BPM for 4 hours and spiking in the 180's on hills. Funny enough, endurance training on a bike, running, swimming, and hiking with the pack itself does help this effort. Cross training with weights, gymnastics and plyometrics has it's role to help sustain core and other strengths, but cardiovascular endurance should be the bulk(70% or more) of the training.
There is not one crossfitting Marine in my unit i have not dropped on a ruck run by a large amount. Coincidently, my 3 mile is many minutes faster also. My aerobic capacity and muscular endurance is significantly higher as a result of better training.

Crossfitting makes you good at crossfit.

Andre, Crossfit is not a bad program. I am all about a program that the masses get excited about and follow. 99% of the population is going to see good results using crossfit as their base workout. The athletes here are focused on going long. No one here gives a shit about how fast they can complete helen. We are interested in completing Ironmans, Half's and Oly's as fast as we can.
To most here the satisfaction of setting a new PR riding our bikes up a 5000 Ft climb and gazing out over the mountains we just conquered is more satisfying than adding 10 pounds to a deadlift in a stuffy Gym where folks can't stop admiring themselves in the mirror.

You almost lost me after you implication that Marines are lazy...after noticing that you served I'll give you a pass :) I have actually read studies that a crossfit-like program actually better prepares soldiers for the riggors of modern combat than does an XX mile hump. I am sure you are aware better than I the injuries associated with these heavy humps. I am guessing these are the reasons that the Marines, SEALs, LEO, fire fighter and MMA fighters use CF.

Your level of fitness is obviously superb. While you "Fight Gone Bad" score (nice score by the way) may have gone down, I am guessing your strength (assuming you followed the program) went up. Now as a triathlete maybe you don't care about your total strength. Totally understandable as I would understand that from anyone on an endurance forum. You are in a sport and you have to specialize in that sport! Those that workout without application are just doing it for health or to look good. I know that doesnt apply tou people here. CF would not argue otherwise. Most CFers dont CF just for the sake of CF (although CF is a growing sport) but do it for sports application. In fact CF puts sport at the top of its Theoretical Heirarchy of Function. So, yes, absolutely specialize in your sport!

Perhaps this entire debate is tainted by the word "CrossFit"? Imagine a triathlete taking their current program and greatly reducing the LSD and increasing the interval training and incorperating complex, anerobic, multi joint strenght training...is it possible that this would create a better triathlete? THat is the real question regardless of whether you prescribe to CF and CFE or not this is an interesting idea. Let's not be so quick to dismiss it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

You almost lost me after you implication that Marines are lazy...after noticing that you served I'll give you a pass :) I have actually read studies that a crossfit-like program actually better prepares soldiers for the riggors of modern combat than does an XX mile hump. I am sure you are aware better than I the injuries associated with these heavy humps. I am guessing these are the reasons that the Marines, SEALs, LEO, fire fighter and MMA fighters use CF.
the Marines, SEALs, LEO, fire fighters and MMA fighters Also smoke cigarettes, chew tobacco; and drink copious amounts of alcohol. So, maybe it isnt the CF that's causing your purported benefits.

persequetur vestra metas furiose
Last edited by: E_moto: Jul 21, 09 12:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Imagine a triathlete taking their current program and greatly reducing the LSD and increasing the interval training and incorperating complex, anerobic, multi joint strenght training..[/quote] So, to paraphrase, "imagine someone training the way pretty much every elite endurance athlete trains?" Wow. What a concept...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Imagine a triathlete taking their current program and greatly reducing the LSD and increasing the interval training and incorperating complex, anerobic, multi joint strenght training..[/quote] So, to paraphrase, "imagine someone training the way pretty much every elite endurance athlete trains?" Wow. What a concept...
So, you are in fact implying we have reached our capacity to understand training and there is no room for improvement? Interesting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why won't this thread JUST DIE?!?!?
Quote Reply

Prev Next