Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Computrainer going under? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone else here received that email circulating online?

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer going under? [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wahoo introduced a solution for studios last year. Not sure whether that is already available but that would be a candidate.

TriTamp wrote:
I know you can just keep using the computrainer. what about the software? I'm just curious because I go to a cycling class once a week with computrainers setup. obviously they'll have to now change those out once they die, if ever. I suppose they can't just keep using the computrainers and software until one or both die. Does trainerroad have a setup where you have have multiple users running at same time on same display?
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer going under? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
I'm shocked they are still in business.

They should have sold their tech to a bigger company and cashed out years ago instead of dying a slow death due to lack of innovation.

I agree, I have one and I know I won't have issues just need to get on and ride. I am on the old software version I think it's a lot easier to use than the new pretty one but that may be just me.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer going under? [Tri Nut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Nut wrote:
Kickr Snap and Magnus are both solid trainers and you will be happy with either one.

Oh I'm no thanks in the market. Just curious what some cycling centers might move to
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer going under? [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
I'm shocked they are still in business.

They should have sold their tech to a bigger company and cashed out years ago instead of dying a slow death due to lack of innovation.

I agree, I have one and I know I won't have issues just need to get on and ride. I am on the old software version I think it's a lot easier to use than the new pretty one but that may be just me.

I have had no choice but to use the old sw since they never got the new stuff updated to work with the Velotron, even though I was promised multiple time
for years it was being worked on. :(

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had my Computrainer for 7 years and it has had no issues. I use it exclusively with Zwift now, so I don't care about software updates. When the thing finally does fail, I'll just move on to a Neo or Hammer or whatever else is popular when I look for a replacement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure about TR but I imagine a lot of studios could use perfpro studios with a mix of computrainer/kickr/whatever as the old computrainers slowly die.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Computrainer going under? [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At least, for me, the Velotrons will continued to be produced. Yea

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer going under? [carlosflanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
carlosflanders wrote:
I bought a Magnus last year. Regret it. Would dearly swap it for a CT.

Great hardware. Software control is ok now. Road feel is fine. Wired connections beat ant+ every time.

THIS

For me, if I'm doing a workout at 5:30am fresh out of bed, I just need to show up and pedal. I need something that just works. No diagnosing wireless connections, unplugging the trainer and then plugging it back in, restarting your computer, etc. There's plenty of bullshit to deal with in the course of a normal day. There's no reason you should have to deal with it on your stationary trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriTamp wrote:
JoeO wrote:
I wonder what all those bike shops with indoor cycling classes/ time trials will use going forward. You have all that investment in hardware. Plus It seems that for a situation in which people come and go, the fact of not having to take off a wheel/worry about gearing/compatibility, etc is probably the most convenient for them.

after computrainer, what's considered next best on wheel trainer? wahoo kickr snap? cycleops magnus? are those as solidly built as computrainer?

I don't know that there is one. Search around a bit: plenty of issues with the kickr snap and the Magnus. Tacx seems far from bulletproof in this department too and KK's new wheel-on erg seems to be having significant teething problems as well. I would almost say get a Neo, Drivo, or just stick with a dumb trainer like the KK Road Machine.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer going under? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
TriTamp wrote:
JoeO wrote:
I wonder what all those bike shops with indoor cycling classes/ time trials will use going forward. You have all that investment in hardware. Plus It seems that for a situation in which people come and go, the fact of not having to take off a wheel/worry about gearing/compatibility, etc is probably the most convenient for them.

after computrainer, what's considered next best on wheel trainer? wahoo kickr snap? cycleops magnus? are those as solidly built as computrainer?

I don't know that there is one. Search around a bit: plenty of issues with the kickr snap and the Magnus. Tacx seems far from bulletproof in this department too and KK's new wheel-on erg seems to be having significant teething problems as well. I would almost say get a Neo, Drivo, or just stick with a dumb trainer like the KK Road Machine.

I have a tacx vortex smart. It's works fine but not as solid as my old cycleops fluid 2. Not a fan of tacx tightening mechanism compared to cycleops. I'm curious what cycling studios that use computrainers will turn to
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PerfPRO Studio is the way to go:

www.perfprostudio.com

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
carlosflanders wrote:

Great hardware. Software control is ok now. Road feel is fine. Wired connections beat ant+ every time.

THIS

For me, if I'm doing a workout at 5:30am fresh out of bed, I just need to show up and pedal. I need something that just works. No diagnosing wireless connections, unplugging the trainer and then plugging it back in, restarting your computer, etc. There's plenty of bullshit to deal with in the course of a normal day. There's no reason you should have to deal with it on your stationary trainer.

Definitely a good point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't had any hands on yet, but I think the Kinetic Road Machine Smart Control has a lot of potential to be the Computrainer replacement. The Road Machine is a solid trainer from a frame/construction perspective. It also has a USB port, so you don't have to go wireless. Wireless connectivity has been one of the biggest pains I've had to deal with when setting up different studios and groups with multi-rider systems.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have great respect for Chuck and the gang at Computrainer. I hope this is not true. I have owned my CT since 2000, and have used it regularly (at least 2x/wk) since then with no issues. Like the old Timex commercial, it just keeps on ticking and does everything a 66 year old body needs to do to keep on ticking as well.

Dean Wilson
http://www.anaerobiczone.com
Bicycle Protection Indoors & Out
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer going under? [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Travis R wrote:
I haven't had any hands on yet, but I think the Kinetic Road Machine Smart Control has a lot of potential to be the Computrainer replacement. The Road Machine is a solid trainer from a frame/construction perspective. It also has a USB port, so you don't have to go wireless. Wireless connectivity has been one of the biggest pains I've had to deal with when setting up different studios and groups with multi-rider systems.

Counterpoint:

Really poor reviews here, here, and here (on Zwift problems).
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer going under? [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gabbiev wrote:
BryanD wrote:
Innovate or get left behind. The Wahoo Kickr started a new trend of trainers.

Based on inaccuracy and unreliability--dead on right. Definitely aspirational. But then, I've always been a CT advocate. Now, all Kickr needs is integrated storage and disc brakes, and you'll be set.

My thought is that Wahoo should just buy up CT's technology and merge the best attributes of both worlds. That would be solid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

As a longtime CT user I used to feel this way, i.e. it just works and that makes me happy. However, after my final Ironman in 2014 I decided to liquidate much of the trip related items, including the CT.

Well, fast forward a couple of years and I'm getting into riding again. I ended up picking up a Kickr2 this past December. While I can't say it's better than the CT, it certainly isn't worse. I haven't had any issues with it over the last 2.5 months of use. It just works and that makes me happy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems to be confirmed now:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...ases-production.html

Quote:
In e-mails with the company this evening, I have confirmed the above e-mail is correct. A more formal and public announcement from Chuck Wurster is to be sent sometime this week clarifying further on the exact details. However, the good news is that customers aren’t entirely left out in the cold. The exact details are still being finalized, but here’s roughly what’s planned.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer going under? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
gabbiev wrote:
BryanD wrote:
Innovate or get left behind. The Wahoo Kickr started a new trend of trainers.

Based on inaccuracy and unreliability--dead on right. Definitely aspirational. But then, I've always been a CT advocate. Now, all Kickr needs is integrated storage and disc brakes, and you'll be set.

My thought is that Wahoo should just buy up CT's technology and merge the best attributes of both worlds. That would be solid.

I'll 2nd that. A Kickr Snap that actually works properly (and has the option for a wired connection) would be really nice.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer going under? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whichever company is honest enough to admit their products are flawed, buys them and then updates the software wins the trainer wars.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
carlosflanders wrote:

THIS

Verbatim, this is the reason I sold my Computrainer after much frustration. It was easy to use the way a 1987 IBM was easy to use.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer going under? [chrisgrigsby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisgrigsby wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
carlosflanders wrote:

THIS

Verbatim, this is the reason I sold my Computrainer after much frustration. It was easy to use the way a 1987 IBM was easy to use.

I should have mentioned that I have it hooked up to a dedicated computer running TrainerRoad. That's about as easy as it gets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
chrisgrigsby wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
carlosflanders wrote:

THIS

I should have mentioned that I have it hooked up to a dedicated computer running TrainerRoad. That's about as easy as it gets.

Same here. Easy, accurate and translates into GREAT results! I've been on board since the 90's.......and it's still the best. Hopefully I'll never have to buy another, but if so it would be a Saris product.
Quote Reply

Prev Next