Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Charbot Swim Domestique for Sanders [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Rappstar wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
How do we know the racer did not get up in the morning not feeling well? Or they started to get sea sick? Or got hit hard at the start of the swim.

The same way that everyone on here knows you are an idiot - some things are just obvious.

Wow. Rappstar for the thread win.

I disagree. This forum is turning to bullshit because insulting someone is now being accepted as a manner of discrediting another person's position (or beliefs).

This reminds me of high school. "Man, you don't know whether I slept with the teacher... you are stupid and everyone knows it..."

Proud Representative of Slowtwitch Anti-Atheists Society.
Quote Reply
Re: Charbot Swim Domestique for Sanders [noneoftheabove] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Meh, read the entire thread. H2o was thoroughly discredited. Rapp was just done with reading his idiotic ramblings.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Charbot Swim Domestique for Sanders [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
As my motivation for this topic is being questioned: I became a referee at the beginning of this season and therefore wanted to familiarize myself with the triathlon rules more thoroughly than I would ever have wanted or needed as an athlete. And this was a somewhat frustrating experience, as triathlon rules are simply a mess, and IM is not the exception. ITU, USAT, other national federations all have rules that would greatly benefit from a major overhaul too. There are rules that are inconsistent, superfluous, ambiguous, non-sensical, over-regulating some details, failing to regulate some other important details, you name it. The situation gets more complicated if two rulebooks cumulatively apply to one race.

Here, here!

Could not have said it better myself.

The whole of the sort of triathlon would be well served by a significant over-haul of the rules and a unification of rules so that no matter where you race and who is administering those rules, they are ALL under one umbrella.

Yes, Yes

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Charbot Swim Domestique for Sanders [noneoftheabove] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noneoftheabove wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Rappstar wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
How do we know the racer did not get up in the morning not feeling well? Or they started to get sea sick? Or got hit hard at the start of the swim.

The same way that everyone on here knows you are an idiot - some things are just obvious.

Wow. Rappstar for the thread win.

I disagree. This forum is turning to bullshit because insulting someone is now being accepted as a manner of discrediting another person's position (or beliefs).

This reminds me of high school. "Man, you don't know whether I slept with the teacher... you are stupid and everyone knows it..."

Yep

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Meh, read the entire thread. H2o was thoroughly discredited. Rapp was just done with reading his idiotic ramblings.

Discredited, discredited from what? Saying folks attacking others is wrong? Saying we should look to see if rules, websites, etc could be improved?
I look to look and move forward, not deal on the past, especially when the ST bullies come out in full force. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

I have read the whole thread, but neither do I agree that H2ofun has been discredited, nor should under any circumstances a thread be won by calling someone an idiot.

Achim Traut
Quote Reply
Re: Charbot Swim Domestique for Sanders [kman74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kman74 wrote:
mungub50 wrote:
I haven't read the empire thread, but are you all talking about Barry Siff, or Barry Shepley? Shepley is not with USAT as far as I know.

Shepley asked Siff to email Jimmy about drafting in the swim. They both are involved. Siff was the one who was super vague in the email. Shepley is the one who cooked up the entire idea. Shepley is not with the USAT.

From Lionel's blog post from yesterday: http://lsanderstri.com/...19/kona-15-the-data/ - Looks like Lionel feels like he was misled, at a minimum:

Quote:
My advisor reassured me that he had consulted with the head referee of Ironman and that not only did he say it was within the rules of the sport, but that he actually thought it was a good idea! I found out a few days after the race that this conversation actually never happened.

Assuming his advisor was Sheply and not Siff, what it really sounds like was that Barrie thought this was a good idea which revved him up and biased all his thinking, and resulted in him using nuanced words to describe the activity, and not follow up in other ways. It's possible that after the eMail exchange he told Lionel he had a conversation (misleading, although it was an eMail 'conversation' through a 3rd party) with Jimmy and that he 'thought it was a good idea', with no mention that the question he asked was not the qualified 'it' that Lionel though it was.

------------------

- I do all my own stunts
Quote Reply
Re: Charbot Swim Domestique for Sanders [Rick in the D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rick in the D wrote:
kman74 wrote:
mungub50 wrote:
I haven't read the empire thread, but are you all talking about Barry Siff, or Barry Shepley? Shepley is not with USAT as far as I know.

Shepley asked Siff to email Jimmy about drafting in the swim. They both are involved. Siff was the one who was super vague in the email. Shepley is the one who cooked up the entire idea. Shepley is not with the USAT.

From Lionel's blog post from yesterday: http://lsanderstri.com/...19/kona-15-the-data/ - Looks like Lionel feels like he was misled, at a minimum:

Quote:
My advisor reassured me that he had consulted with the head referee of Ironman and that not only did he say it was within the rules of the sport, but that he actually thought it was a good idea! I found out a few days after the race that this conversation actually never happened.

Assuming his advisor was Sheply and not Siff, what it really sounds like was that Barrie thought this was a good idea which revved him up and biased all his thinking, and resulted in him using nuanced words to describe the activity, and not follow up in other ways. It's possible that after the eMail exchange he told Lionel he had a conversation (misleading, although it was an eMail 'conversation' through a 3rd party) with Jimmy and that he 'thought it was a good idea', with no mention that the question he asked was not the qualified 'it' that Lionel though it was.

I just wish folks would move on with positives, rather than continue the finger pointing as in the blog
"I told him what happened and how I felt that I had been greatly mislead. He also felt that he had been greatly mislead and manipulated."

But just how I try to deal with issues in my life.

Quote Reply
Re: Charbot Swim Domestique for Sanders [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Rick in the D wrote:
kman74 wrote:
mungub50 wrote:

Quote:

I just wish folks would move on with positives, rather than continue the finger pointing as in the blog
"I told him what happened and how I felt that I had been greatly mislead. He also felt that he had been greatly mislead and manipulated."

You realize, of course, that youa re doing exactly what you are criticizing others of doing, right?

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

God forbid he actually say what he actually thinks in his blog.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Charbot Swim Domestique for Sanders [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

God forbid he actually say what he actually thinks in his blog.

I guess if someone did not read the entire blog, things could be missing.

"I felt absolutely terrible. I immediately found the number for the head referee and gave him a call. I told him what happened and how I felt that I had been greatly mislead. He also felt that he had been greatly mislead and manipulated."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read the blog. What's your point?

He's saying what he thinks. I'd much rather hear someone's honest opinion than have them just try to "play nice". Playing nice just ensures that the people who should be accountable, aren't.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

He's saying what he thinks. I'd much rather hear someone's honest opinion than have them just try to "play nice". Playing nice just ensures that the people who should be accountable, aren't.

Does not look like he is taking much accountability by his post, IMO.

Again, why not put this energy into improvements?

Quote Reply
Re: Charbot Swim Domestique for Sanders [heartpatient] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
heartpatient wrote:
BLeP wrote:

I have read the whole thread, but neither do I agree that H2ofun has been discredited, nor should under any circumstances a thread be won by calling someone an idiot.

Based on when your profile says you joined, you have not been here long enough to see what a cancer Dave is to this community. The vast majority of reasonable and patient people have come to that conclusion. Of course it is probably best to ignore him so I am not completely disagreeing with your second statement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

What makes you think he isn't? The swim decision was 2 paragraphs out of the entire blog (and he doesn't mention his "advisor" by name). Everything else he is saying was his decision, the bottles, the camelback, not working with a swim coach on a regular basis. He's taking ownership of all that stuff.

looks like the blog post is mostly about deconstructing what he didn't do well, a bit of what he did, and what he can do to make improvements.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Why do you assume he is not doing that? The two ideas are not mutually exclusive.

And if you think he is not taking accountability for his actions, I think you need to re-read his blog and his posts here...as well as review his actions post-race (i.e. calling Jimmy and asking to be removed from the results).

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Charbot Swim Domestique for Sanders [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
heartpatient wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Based on when your profile says you joined, you have not been here long enough to see what a cancer Dave is to this community. The vast majority of reasonable and patient people have come to that conclusion. Of course it is probably best to ignore him so I am not completely disagreeing with your second statement.

Meh,

Dave IS an idiot, but he's our idiot. I like him, in spite of, or perhaps because of, all his flaws.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Someone described him as an eccentric engineer. To some degree I see that and agree (with you).
Quote Reply
Re: Charbot Swim Domestique for Sanders [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
heartpatient wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Low blow based on what I am dealing with but why would anyone care how words can hurt others.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave I will pray for you and your family tonight. My mom, brother, and sister all battled cancer. They all survived but it sucks. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't realize that. Cancer sucks.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

My Mom just passed away from Multiple Myeloma cancer and ALS a few weeks ago. ALS SUCKS! Just finished up the video for my mom with the memorial service,
celebration of life and other video of her and our families life we made from them last Christmas when see what still able to interact with us.

This is why for me after going through this, and seeing I am not that young, so many stupid things we fight about mean NOTHING on a persons death bed,
let alone what is talked about at a memorial service or celebration of life. No one will care I ran Boston. No one will care I went to various worlds.
No one will care I posted on Slowtwitch. :)

But, they will talk about all the family videos I have made. All the crazy trips to Disneyland in one car and staying all together in one hotel room.
When one is young and thought the only thing that matter is me, which I have been there, it will change if one has to live through seeing family members
die.

Oh well, life goes on. :(

Quote Reply
Re: Charbot Swim Domestique for Sanders [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
Dave,

I've never seen someone who so consistently invests as much energy into caring about why others care as you. Your most consistent refrain is, "I just don't understand why people care about X." Yet, by repeatedly posting that same hook over and over and over, you yourself are demonstrating that you are guilty of the very thing you claim to lament.

Why do YOU care that other people care about X? Why do you feel the need, every time someone posts about something you just don't find of interest, to wade in with, "why do you care what other people do?" Why do YOU care what other people do?

Based off that behavior, I can only conclude that you are a troll, the greatest "meta" comedian since Andy Kaufman, or are simply obtuse.

I'm sorry to have insulted you, but there is a richness to you coming on here and accusing others of simply adding fuel to the fire and not helping move the issue forward towards a positive outcome. That is pretty much the definition of what you do. All. The. Time. You simply add fuel to whatever fire is going on through willful ignorance, strawmen, and general non sequiturs.

I've been on this forum a long time, and I cannot think of a single issue where I thought, "wow, Dave Campbell really had a unique insight. I never considered that. That really helped me think of things in a new/different/better way."

Most of the time, I just choose to ignore it. It doesn't really matter to me that you don't care about professional athletes, that you don't actually care about scientific consensus if you like something, or any of the other typical opinions you choose to weigh in with.

But when there is a topic of actual substance that actually matters to me where you continue to blather on, it offends me. There's no debating with you. There just isn't. If you think there is, I think you misunderstand the meaning of the word "debate," or you've spent too much time watching Fox News.

The rules are clear. The idea that somehow we should just rewrite the rules until every possible hypothetical scenario is covered in them is just absurd.

I don't even know why I'm replying to you. I can answer the question as to why I care, but I can't answer that...

Jordan, i have to say when i initially read your comment if i'd had coffee in my mouth it would have been all over the screen.

and then i felt sad for Dave...

yeah.

i think Dave is quite honestly very confused as to why no-one can see his POV because it is SO OBVIOUS (and that he is right). and that causes him some frustration. and i think that maybe he isn't the most socially umm.... talented? person around. and that causes further divide. i don't think he is trolling. i think he is literal to a fault. like absolutely, positively literal to the point that he is so tunneled into that light that he is so incredibly focused on, he hears no whistle and no squealing of brakes and can't figure WTH the engineer just had a heart attack about. and then sees something shiny and gets pissed off at the train that almost hit him.

i think he, like all of us, likes to contribute and gets satisfaction from contributing. so he does. and maybe that is what we can take away from this - that not only is he a trying individual, he actually is trying too. so there is some solace that can be taken there?

and unfortunately i have no assvice because i can see his side and i can see your side. well, i mean i can see a reason as to why he posts like he does and i can see your argument on the topic and i have to totally agree with dan - it shouldn't be something (i'm back on the rule now in case you got lost) you should have to define as it should be something you just Know but i can also understand Dave needing to have every single example specified in rules.

oh, sorry about this. i had this and today's thread opened in 1 tabs and got them confused. sorry to bump an old one.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Last edited by: kathy_caribe: Nov 10, 15 16:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

My Mom just passed away from Multiple Myeloma cancer and ALS a few weeks ago. ALS SUCKS! Just finished up the video for my mom with the memorial service,
celebration of life and other video of her and our families life we made from them last Christmas when see what still able to interact with us.

This is why for me after going through this, and seeing I am not that young, so many stupid things we fight about mean NOTHING on a persons death bed,
let alone what is talked about at a memorial service or celebration of life. No one will care I ran Boston. No one will care I went to various worlds.
But, they will talk about all the family videos I have made. All the crazy trips to Disneyland in one car and staying all together in one hotel room.
When one is young and thought the only thing that matter is me, which I have been there, it will change if one has to live through seeing family members
die.

Actually, I know a guy who was a USA Worlds Team member many times in his 30s and 40s; he used to come down south every summer on vacation and proceed to win 2 or 3 races, then go back home to Ohio. He won the Kiawah Island Triathlon (oly dist) in 1:57, so he was pretty quick. Anyway, he just keeled over one day of a heart attack at age 50, right after a fairly routine 50-mi bike ride. Acc to his obit, he was buried in his Team USA uniform. Now I don't know what was said at his memorial service but i would *assume* that triathlon was discussed to some extent. AFAIK, this guy did not post on ST but obv he cared a lot about triathlon, enough to the point of being buried in his team kit. Say what you will but it would appear that triathlon was fairly central to his life.

So, i would counter that life is not all about "crazy trips to Disney World". In fact, i would say stuff like that is at the very bottom of my list of "important things to do in life".

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Charbot Swim Domestique for Sanders [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

die.

Actually, I know a guy who was a USA Worlds Team member many times in his 30s and 40s; he used to come down south every summer on vacation and proceed to win 2 or 3 races, then go back home to Ohio. He won the Kiawah Island Triathlon (oly dist) in 1:57, so he was pretty quick. Anyway, he just keeled over one day of a heart attack at age 50, right after a fairly routine 50-mi bike ride. Acc to his obit, he was buried in his Team USA uniform. Now I don't know what was said at his memorial service but i would *assume* that triathlon was discussed to some extent. AFAIK, this guy did not post on ST but obv he cared a lot about triathlon, enough to the point of being buried in his team kit. Say what you will but it would appear that triathlon was fairly central to his life.

So, i would counter that life is not all about "crazy trips to Disney World". In fact, i would say stuff like that is at the very bottom of my list of "important things to do in life".

Yep, luckily we all like to do different stuff.

This sport is still a hobby to me, and always will be.

Go look at my last 3 run races on Athlinks. I was I believe the dead last person in each race.

Quote Reply

Prev Next