Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Charbot Swim Domestique for Sanders [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Always fun to see who the real "professional" ones are by their posts. :)"

dave, i think the problem here is you take somebody like jordan (or me, for that matter) this sport is subject to entropy, just like everything else in the universe. unless you pump the tires up, every day, things go to hell. so, whether it's doping, course cutting, outside assistance, drafting, you either keep the tires pumped up or the sport turns into a doped-up draftfest with folks doing as many laps as they feel like before turning into the finish chute.

when you come up with these zingers like why do you care? did it affect your race? it's kind of insulting to folks like me who could've paid the typical guy's mortgage for the last several months with what i've paid in legal fees recently to fend off a threat because i showed interest in whether folks in your age group race complete the entire course.

so, yeah, this stuff does matter. if not to you, to some other folks. you could just, you know, say thank you, and go on your way, or pick up a weapon, and, instead of writing a post, stand one.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Power13 wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
How do we know the racer did not get up in the morning not feeling well? Or they started to get sea sick? Or got hit hard at the start of the swim. Just because they swam slower ST is going to accuse them of cheating?

Why are SO many worried about what others do?

Why do you insist on building strawmen? None of those scenarios occurred and the participants in this situation have already acknowledged their mistakes.

Why should focus focus on attacks on those involved with I believe there is enough gray area to go around to all of them. But what value does it give to have folks attack them, see PC posts, throw folks under the bus, etc?

Clearly I see a come point in basically everyone posts. The rules were not totally clear. So, why should it not make sense to try and make this into a positive by working on the rules, rather than continue with the attacks?
Well, one clear answer, this would not be ST if this were to happen. :)

Not surprisingly, none of that answered my question....and yes, in this case, the rules are clear and everyone involved acknowledges that.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Charbot Swim Domestique for Sanders [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bravo! I'm loving your stands more and more. Well done.

Rappstar wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
How do we know the racer did not get up in the morning not feeling well? Or they started to get sea sick? Or got hit hard at the start of the swim.

The same way that everyone on here knows you are an idiot - some things are just obvious.
Quote Reply
Re: Charbot Swim Domestique for Sanders [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

dave, i think the problem here is you take somebody like jordan (or me, for that matter) this sport is subject to entropy, just like everything else in the universe. unless you pump the tires up, every day, things go to hell. so, whether it's doping, course cutting, outside assistance, drafting, you either keep the tires pumped up or the sport turns into a doped-up draftfest with folks doing as many laps as they feel like before turning into the finish chute.

when you come up with these zingers like why do you care? did it affect your race? it's kind of insulting to folks like me who could've paid the typical guy's mortgage for the last several months with what i've paid in legal fees recently to fend off a threat because i showed interest in whether folks in your age group race complete the entire course.

so, yeah, this stuff does matter. if not to you, to some other folks. you could just, you know, say thank you, and go on your way, or pick up a weapon, and, instead of writing a post, stand one.

Dan look at the posts and see who are the folks calling others liars, etc? Sure not me!

IMO, the sign of a true leader, professional, or whatever word you want to use, is how these folks deal with others that just might have a different "opinion" than theirs.
When folks attack others when they just have a different "opinion", what does that say about them? I know what is says about them IMO.

You and I over the years have different opinions on topics. But I never remember me attacking you personally with insults, or you me. We are just debating.

But some others, well, their writing says all that needs to be said.

And yes, it is always interesting to see some of these leaders, etc. deal with others opinions that might be different.

Personally, I think you have added fuel to this fire that is just not as black and white and how you seem to want the rest of us to see it. But rather than helping to direct
this energy into trying to make some positives out of what happened, it seems you have been willing to point the finger on who you think is telling the truth and who is not.

I again ask, does it now seem the rules are not that clear? I feel folks did the best they could to ask the right questions, not trying to be sneaky or anything. I am going to stay with
the positive about folks.

Does this stuff matter? Yep, or I would not be posting. But what is the best way to move forward and make a positive outcome. I guess we just have a different view on where to focus
the energy.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Charbot Swim Domestique for Sanders [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Rappstar wrote:
The same way that everyone on here knows you are an idiot - some things are just obvious.

Wow.

Who are your sponsors again?

I was thinking the exact same thing. Time to toss some support to Jordan's sponsors just for that comment alone.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave,

I've never seen someone who so consistently invests as much energy into caring about why others care as you. Your most consistent refrain is, "I just don't understand why people care about X." Yet, by repeatedly posting that same hook over and over and over, you yourself are demonstrating that you are guilty of the very thing you claim to lament.

Why do YOU care that other people care about X? Why do you feel the need, every time someone posts about something you just don't find of interest, to wade in with, "why do you care what other people do?" Why do YOU care what other people do?

Based off that behavior, I can only conclude that you are a troll, the greatest "meta" comedian since Andy Kaufman, or are simply obtuse.

I'm sorry to have insulted you, but there is a richness to you coming on here and accusing others of simply adding fuel to the fire and not helping move the issue forward towards a positive outcome. That is pretty much the definition of what you do. All. The. Time. You simply add fuel to whatever fire is going on through willful ignorance, strawmen, and general non sequiturs.

I've been on this forum a long time, and I cannot think of a single issue where I thought, "wow, Dave Campbell really had a unique insight. I never considered that. That really helped me think of things in a new/different/better way."

Most of the time, I just choose to ignore it. It doesn't really matter to me that you don't care about professional athletes, that you don't actually care about scientific consensus if you like something, or any of the other typical opinions you choose to weigh in with.

But when there is a topic of actual substance that actually matters to me where you continue to blather on, it offends me. There's no debating with you. There just isn't. If you think there is, I think you misunderstand the meaning of the word "debate," or you've spent too much time watching Fox News.

The rules are clear. The idea that somehow we should just rewrite the rules until every possible hypothetical scenario is covered in them is just absurd.

I don't even know why I'm replying to you. I can answer the question as to why I care, but I can't answer that...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
Dave,

I've never seen someone who so consistently invests as much energy into caring about why others care as you. Your most consistent refrain is, "I just don't understand why people care about X." Yet, by repeatedly posting that same hook over and over and over, you yourself are demonstrating that you are guilty of the very thing you claim to lament.

Why do YOU care that other people care about X? Why do you feel the need, every time someone posts about something you just don't find of interest, to wade in with, "why do you care what other people do?" Why do YOU care what other people do?

Based off that behavior, I can only conclude that you are a troll, the greatest "meta" comedian since Andy Kaufman, or are simply obtuse.

I'm sorry to have insulted you, but there is a richness to you coming on here and accusing others of simply adding fuel to the fire and not helping move the issue forward towards a positive outcome. That is pretty much the definition of what you do. All. The. Time. You simply add fuel to whatever fire is going on through willful ignorance, strawmen, and general non sequiturs.

I've been on this forum a long time, and I cannot think of a single issue where I thought, "wow, Dave Campbell really had a unique insight. I never considered that. That really helped me think of things in a new/different/better way."

Most of the time, I just choose to ignore it. It doesn't really matter to me that you don't care about professional athletes, that you don't actually care about scientific consensus if you like something, or any of the other typical opinions you choose to weigh in with.

But when there is a topic of actual substance that actually matters to me where you continue to blather on, it offends me. There's no debating with you. There just isn't. If you think there is, I think you misunderstand the meaning of the word "debate," or you've spent too much time watching Fox News.

The rules are clear. The idea that somehow we should just rewrite the rules until every possible hypothetical scenario is covered in them is just absurd.

I don't even know why I'm replying to you. I can answer the question as to why I care, but I can't answer that...

Time to wrap up this thread so you can start training for IM Arizona!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Charbot Swim Domestique for Sanders [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah. I was thinking the same thing. This is at least 50% the result of being in Hawaii for another day, by myself, not ready to really yet be back into training, and still full of residual race emotion. Not that I disagree with anything that I wrote, but once I reply to Dave and/or post the keyboard-rage GIF, I know it's time to take a break for a while...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I again ask, does it now seem the rules are not that clear?"

to keep with my we follow orders or people die theme, are the rules clear? crystal.

if you read the article on the front page, the rules were already there. i'd written about this back in 2011, almost the same article. since that time ironman has made it extremely clear to the pros via a second more expansive and obvious explanation.

look, other than random acts of sportsmanship that crop up in the course of a race, it's an individual sport. people can work together inside of the rules as long as each is going for the win. when somebody is not going for the win, and instead focuses his efforts on another's race, whether husband/wife, boyfriend/girlfriend, top male AG racer helping female pro, brother helping sister, we've seen it all, that's against the rules. easy peasy.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An athlete can work WITH another athlete (within the confines of the other rules), an athlete cannot work FOR another athlete.

Yup, pretty straightforward.

Sure, it is not always easy to tell which is going on in every scenario and mistakes will be made, but the fact that it is complicated to enforce doesn't mean it shouldn't be a rule.

Quote | Reply
I think the rule which you say is crystal is not. To me it is very vague. Who makes the determination and what is the definition of someone abandoning their race? Where is the proof that their was any actual aid rendered? For all we know he could have actually hurt his time. The burden of proof is on the referees and is not as easily called as a drafting penalty on the bike. That being said I also think the email to Jimmy was very underhanded and should have been more specific. Would any of this changed any outcome I really don't think so. But for the pros on here I totally get being upset. That is a spot you could have had, such as at Silverman a few weeks ago. The language in the rules just needs to be defined a little clearer in my opinion and everyone will be happy.
Quote Reply
Re: Charbot Swim Domestique for Sanders [LSandersTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3S0wu4Zbfk

At the least we want to see one of these. :0)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"I again ask, does it now seem the rules are not that clear?"

to keep with my we follow orders or people die theme, are the rules clear? crystal.

if you read the article on the front page, the rules were already there. i'd written about this back in 2011, almost the same article. since that time ironman has made it extremely clear to the pros via a second more expansive and obvious explanation.

look, other than random acts of sportsmanship that crop up in the course of a race, it's an individual sport. people can work together inside of the rules as long as each is going for the win. when somebody is not going for the win, and instead focuses his efforts on another's race, whether husband/wife, boyfriend/girlfriend, top male AG racer helping female pro, brother helping sister, we've seen it all, that's against the rules. easy peasy.

Our sport has never ever been 100% individual! The rules support this 100% with the swim. Most races have lots of drafting that never gets called. Our sport is going more to DL races, which will clearly be tactic focused,
as shown by the DU and Tri AG world sprint races are DL. The Olympic Tri is DL.

So clearly, IMO, it never has been 100% individual, and is clearly even legally by the rules going further away.

In your opinion, the rules are crystal clear. In my opinion, they are not. Why is this so bad? You are old enough and experienced enough, like me, to know other than death and taxes, everything is an opinion, and not 100% fact.

Oh well, I pride myself that I do not attack others. Do I believe I have the right, as everyone on social media, to be able to post an opinion that might be different than the bullies. Yep. And I will go to my grave with this value.

And I get accused of being Mr. Black and White.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"In my opinion, they are not. Why is this so bad?"

we can't have a successful race, or sport, if you and i disagree what the rules are. if the rules are there, for everyone to read, and the head ref of the whole organization explains the rules, interprets them, that ought to be enough. there should not be any disagreement between us. we can disagree as to whether a rule (or a law, for that matter) is wise or just or enforceable, but there is no reason for us to disagree about what the rule (or law) says, especially if it's right there, and especially if our sport's "supreme court" explains that it means what it says.

"
I pride myself that I do not attack others."

many don't realize you are a contrary. i know that if i come up to you in a race and you say, "goodbye, my enemy" what's in your heart is, "hello, my friend." others don't know that about you. they haven't read little big man (good movie, great book).

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
Dave,

I have never ever attacked you personally! I do not believe I have ever attacked anyone personally on ST.

Debate, what is a debate? It is not to convince the other person that you are right. It is to stick up for what you believe. And if I hear facts that I am wrong, my reputation at work is I could swing faster
with a opinion change than anyone, when I saw my facts were clearly wrong.

The best Covey principal of strong leaders is the ability to understand before trying to be understood. But most have no idea what this means.

There are LOTS of posts in ST I ignore, do not post in. But, there some that I do have an opinion on, and yep, I do post in these. But boy does the ST mob usually come and attack.
I know in the forums I moderate personal attacks are not allowed. Opinions, yep, all the time. But if anyone attacks another for an opinion, I delete the post. After a few times they either get the message
or ....

You have never met me. You have no idea who I am. And you have no idea what skills I have. Thats fine. But I would put my life up against anyone with how I have always helped others. But you clearly
would never believe that.

Oh well, I have learned how to deal with the bullies in social media. You just ignore them when they attack personally. It's too bad since a number of folks ask me some great questions
I would love to give my opinion on, but, ....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Wow, really? I missed this post. I cannot believe some cheating turd or non-cheating turd, it really doesn't matter. Would feel the need to sue one of the nicest and most open members of the Triathlon community because of a forum post/opinion. This should be a thread but I understand why it isn't. What is this world coming to?

Quote Reply
Re: Charbot Swim Domestique for Sanders [blaxxuede] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blame Obama.
Quote Reply
Re: Charbot Swim Domestique for Sanders [blaxxuede] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I think the rule which you say is crystal is not. To me it is very vague."

i will answer your questions to the best of my ability.

"Who makes the determination and what is the definition of someone abandoning their race?"

some things are "self evident." if you don't believe this, if we need to stop right there, if you don't stipulate to that, then we can't have a discussion (let alone a republic). along with "all men are created equal, and are imbued with certain inalienable rights..." etc., so on and so forth, another axiom that is self evident in athletic competition is that when the gun goes off we all are out there to perform as well as we can and by "well" i mean finish the race according to the operative metric, which in the case of everything in endurance sports except the hour ride (and run) is "time."

so, once somebody very obviously abandons the attempt to do that, then we can say that this athlete has abandoned his or her race ambition. you might say, "different folks have different ambitions," and it may well be that somebody says, "my ambition was to help this person get across the line faster than what otherwise might have been the case." for the purpose of this rule we're defining "ambition" in the context of this truth that we hold to be self-evident, that when you toe the line you're actually attempting to finish as high and as fast as you can.

who makes the determination? the official, and it's made kind of like how we have been catching course cutters: when your speed very obviously changes versus a reasonable expectation, you're caught. if you get out of the water, pedal at 13mph until your girlfriend catches up, then start pedaling 26mph, you're caught. official makes the call.

"Where is the proof that their was any actual aid rendered?"

another truth we hold a self-evident is physics. when you swim or ride directly in front of someone, it makes it easier for the person directly behind. but even alongside is an aid, if you're taking upon yourself the duty of thinking about the pace.

"
For all we know he could have actually hurt his time."

yes. and if i cut the course, and instead take a long-cut instead of a short-cut, because i'm a bad navigator or map reader, i still am guilty. if i let you draft behind me but i go too slow and you're too stupid to notice, we're both still guilty of the infraction.

hope this helps.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"In my opinion, they are not. Why is this so bad?"

we can't have a successful race, or sport, if you and i disagree what the rules are. if the rules are there, for everyone to read, and the head ref of the whole organization explains the rules, interprets them, that ought to be enough. there should not be any disagreement between us. we can disagree as to whether a rule (or a law, for that matter) is wise or just or enforceable, but there is no reason for us to disagree about what the rule (or law) says, especially if it's right there, and especially if our sport's "supreme court" explains that it means what it says.

"
I pride myself that I do not attack others."

many don't realize you are a contrary. i know that if i come up to you in a race and you say, "goodbye, my enemy" what's in your heart is, "hello, my friend." others don't know that about you. they haven't read little big man (good movie, great book).

I agree about the rules. This is why I have asked head officials many times for clarity. But in this case, I believe the HO was asked, and answered. Now some are trying to twist what happened to make some look good and some look bad.
Why? You believe many had sneaky motives. I do not. So why are you right and I am wrong? But clearly in this case, many have stated the rules are not written as clear as others believe. So why not work on improving the wording?

No way am I an contrary. If you can up to me in a race, as I had posted on ST before Donner, my comment to you is I hope you do not kick my butt too badly. Enemy, I have no enemies. Life is too short for that type of baggage!!

I am far for PC. I say what is on my mind which does not always come out correct. But boy, you can tell who your true friends are by how they react. True friends assume the positive and ask the covey question which is was that what you meant!
So so few have this skill. I continue to try and improve in this area.

Oh well, I really am bummed we missed our Donner meeting. It has been all down hill since then with my health. Am hoping to get it back for next season.

I just get so sick of the bullies and mob tactics. So yep, I push back against this by just offering different opinions when I disagree and watch the attacks begin. But as I say, you do not see me join them in the mud!!

Oh well, I just hate to see others attacked and like to stick up for them on ST. I just continue, as I have been pushing for over many years, to see our sport have a common set of rules, and enough details in them that
this type of thing is the exception, not the norm at times it seems.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I call BS on Coach Barrie.
It's easier to beg for forgiveness then ask for permission.
I've been around triathlon a long time and have had the "pleasure" to deal with Barrie a few times. Less then impressed every time.
To me he is like Don King. Preys on young naive up and comers.
He knew better - and was just covering his ass with the way he sought "approval".
He was/is the head of the Canadian national team and involved in tris for decades. Disgraceful.
This should be a wake up call to LS to move on.

"There may be men that can beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it." Steve Prefontane
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan

I am sorry I was not clear in what I was trying to point out. I am not questioning the rules as they have been discussed in this thread. As this also offers the testimonies of those involved. Kind of a non-moot point since parties have admitted guilt and the head ref has chimed in.

I'm speaking as of the ref actually seeing it during the race. I'm thinking in his shoes. In my mind at that point in time all the questions I asked you are going through my mind do I DQ these athletes or not? That is a lot to put on a ref or even a group of refs without a major discussion of the rules as has been had here. There were also 2000 other athletes on the course that day they had to worry about.

*I did add in there about not helping his time because I believe it did not* That does not apply

*I also am not the best with trying to say what I'm thinking: whether speaking or on paper
Last edited by: blaxxuede: Oct 14, 15 18:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"You believe many had sneaky motives. I do not."

what do you mean by sneaky motives? lionel said an arrangement was in place, in advance, for him to swim on/with/behind/beside matt chrabot. that seemed to happen. motive? sneaky? no. the goal was for lionel to exit with a faster time than otherwise (because chrabot could navigate better, hold a better pace, provide a draft, i don't know). why would matt agree to this? because he's a nice guy. because he was asked.
don't know. doesn't matter. beside the point.

"
why not work on improving the wording?"

no need. wording is fine. it would just be nice if folks said okay, i didn't really understand; or i hadn't read that language in the rules; or i didn't think you actually meant it; now i know you mean it. whatever. this wasn't doping. it wasn't course cutting. it was minor. it didn't change the outcome of the race. no need to sanction anybody. but it might've altered the outcome of the race, and next time it might, and when it does do you think people are not going to be screaming? so, this is a nice, easy, no-harm, no-foul opportunity to set this right, once and for all.

"
Oh well, I really am bummed we missed our Donner meeting. It has been all down hill since then with my health. Am hoping to get it back for next season."

we're old. it's hard getting to the starting line. just know that i'm going to kick the engine over, warm it up, and get ready again to meet you somewhere next season.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

And I will go to my grave with this value.

How soon?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"You believe many had sneaky motives. I do not."

what do you mean by sneaky motives? lionel said an arrangement was in place, in advance, for him to swim on/with/behind/beside matt chrabot. that seemed to happen. motive? sneaky? no. the goal was for lionel to exit with a faster time than otherwise (because chrabot could navigate better, hold a better pace, provide a draft, i don't know). why would matt agree to this? because he's a nice guy. because he was asked.
don't know. doesn't matter. beside the point.

"
why not work on improving the wording?"

no need. wording is fine. it would just be nice if folks said okay, i didn't really understand; or i hadn't read that language in the rules; or i didn't think you actually meant it; now i know you mean it. whatever. this wasn't doping. it wasn't course cutting. it was minor. it didn't change the outcome of the race. no need to sanction anybody. but it might've altered the outcome of the race, and next time it might, and when it does do you think people are not going to be screaming? so, this is a nice, easy, no-harm, no-foul opportunity to set this right, once and for all.

"
Oh well, I really am bummed we missed our Donner meeting. It has been all down hill since then with my health. Am hoping to get it back for next season."

we're old. it's hard getting to the starting line. just know that i'm going to kick the engine over, warm it up, and get ready again to meet you somewhere next season.

Some have posted that some folks knew they wanted to cheat, so they did things to try and be sneaky to get Jimmy to say yes. I just do not read all that what happened being sneaky, and still do not agree with all the spinning after the fact. Someone had an idea to try and improve their race within the rules, asked
what they thought was the right question, and got back an answer to what that person that was going to happen. To now try to spin after the fact is what I am pushing back against. Move forward.

Man, I guess we never would have worked well together. If you were to write technical documents that I had to review at work, and came back to you with things I either did not understand and I thought were worded poorly and you said basically, tough, I guess are bosses would have been talking a lot and one of us would have been out of a job. :) I was paid for years to review technical documents and find things that were not clear. I guess I made a lot of folks unhappy, but the folks from other countries that had to read this stuff were happy.

Yep, one of these days our paths will cross.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

Dan, I fully agree with you that the rules and the spirit of the sport matter, and my impression from Dave's posts is that he cares about them too. What he doesn't seem to care about as much as you do is a verdict on Matt Chrabot's behaviour.
I greatly appreciate how you stand up for the integrity of the sport; I think it's awesome that you provide this forum without buckling under legal threats and I find the vast majority of what you write very insightful and well balanced.
What I don't get is how you and Jordan can say the rules are fine. Dave says effort should be focussed on improving the rules, and I think he's right.
On the IM homepage are the IM rules
http://www.ironman.com/...s.aspx#axzz3oRB5TS8F which claim to be The official competition rules governing all IRONMAN and IRONMAN 70.3 events and which DO NOT contain the wording about someone subordinating their race. So not only has the WTC published wrong rules, which is bad enough, it hasn't even, despite several days of a public discussion, been bothered to correct them, or at the very least change the wording above the link to clarify that the pros have different rules and provide a link to those pro rules. If this matters to you, Jordan and many others, how can you not be outraged that the WTC apparently doesn't give a sh*t?

Fwiw, it's beyond me why it should be ok for an age group athlete to subordinate his race to another athlete.

Achim Traut
Quote Reply

Prev Next