Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Change to North American Ironman Swim Starts [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At IMLP, is there an estimate as to how long it will take to get all 2,500 in the water swimming? Peter
Quote Reply
Re: Change to North American Ironman Swim Starts [trihard4me] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swim over me and I'll put my heel into your teeth.

If I happen to see your location later in transition then I'll empty a GU on your handlebars and let the air out of your back tire.

Good luck and race hard ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trihard4me wrote:
ga_fE_man wrote:
trihard4me wrote:
fatbastard wrote:
Here's something to consider as well....

1. Tell triathletes to train more the swim, not ROI bs that EN teaches, swimming well is important for your own safety and that of others in the water.

Food for thought....

If that's your food for thought you're serving horsemeat. I'm an OK swimmer and usually post around a 1:05 to 1:10. I went to EN and did their OutSeason program and IM program for IM Texas next week. My swim per 100m has dropped significantly as have the other disciplines.

Now go swim your 5000 meters and tell me how awesome you are.

EN swimming did not make you faster.... swimming more made faster. EN just gave you some bad information and you swam, biked and ran more. Hate to tell you that's the key, shhhhhh.... it's a secret. Don't tell anyone that if you swim, bike and run more and faster you'll get better at swimming, biking and running.

This aint my first rodeo sport. This will be my fifth IM and, I'll save you the effort, my best time was 11:57 and my worst was 14:22. Their approach is significantly different that I've done in the past and, in fact, I'm biking LESS and running MORE (but fewer miles). Swim is about the same.

Thanks for playing though.

Do you have any knowledge of how wide the starting corral will be at IMCDA?
Quote Reply
Re: Change to North American Ironman Swim Starts [Reddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You taking no consideration for someone who is seeded properly yet was accidentally kicked or elbowed and is trying to recover.

It just shows your superficial, reactionary lack of respect of people. When did they let 10 year old race anyway?
Quote Reply
Re: Change to North American Ironman Swim Starts [Joe Public] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
52 is COLD.

I'd probably be willing to soldier through it, but man it would take a lot of motivation.

Last summer I tried to swim across swiftcurrent lake in glacier park. I made it 45 seconds before I turned around. And that was after swimming at IMCDA and thinking it was "nice".

No idea what the water temp was at swiftcurrent, but I've never felt anything like that in my life.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by bcagle25 [ In reply to ]
Re: Change to North American Ironman Swim Starts [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Do you have any knowledge of how wide the starting corral will be at IMCDA?"

no.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Change to North American Ironman Swim Starts [C|earwater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
C|earwater wrote:
Swim over me and I'll put my heel into your teeth.

If I happen to see your location later in transition then I'll empty a GU on your handlebars and let the air out of your back tire.

Good luck and race hard ;)

I'd swim over so fast that you would not have time to react. As for seeing me in transition, you wouldn't.... by the time you got to the run transition, I'd be done cooling off with a cold one. LOL.
Quote Reply
Re: Change to North American Ironman Swim Starts [ga_fE_man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote ga_fE_man EN swimming did not make you faster.... swimming more made faster. EN just gave you some bad information and you swam, biked and ran more. Hate to tell you that's the key, shhhhhh.... it's a secret. Don't tell anyone that if you swim, bike and run more and faster you'll get better at swimming, biking and running.[/quote]

This aint my first rodeo sport. This will be my fifth IM and, I'll save you the effort, my best time was 11:57 and my worst was 14:22. Their approach is significantly different that I've done in the past and, in fact, I'm biking LESS and running MORE (but fewer miles). Swim is about the same.

.[/quote]
So was the 14:22 before or after the EN courses? You've got me confused on this one, "running MORE (but fewer miles)"...... So are you running slower? Another EN less is more thing, run slower and get faster. Plus, your "biking LESS" I'm confused???? How is this bettter for you?

I suppose I am very very old school. But hey, that why I do so well at the races, my competition is getting weaker and I am getting older. Have fun with that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trihard4me,

I haven't seen you trolling around here in awhile. Were you in hibernation for the winter, or have I just not been in the right (wrong) threads? Or are you and hotman one in the same?

"Sweep the leg...Do you have a problem with that?" - John Kreese
Quote Reply
Re: Change to North American Ironman Swim Starts [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's a bit of a strawman or red herring to argue that the guntime/chiptime thing contributes.... because mostly it's not the issue, but also because you're probably right. The real issue is why isn't WTC doing an elite wave (gun time, for awards) and a participant wave (chip time, in corrals).

IOW, the impetus for things not working like a marathon corral system is the draft on the swim, not the gun time/chip time thing.

Slowman wrote:
"Which leads me to the next point. Lot's of people are not going to seed properly. Every single IM I've watched I've seen front line people demolished by 2nd and 3rd row swimmers."

don't you think this might have something to do with the fact that the gun time is everybody's time? do you discount the idea that if people have the luxury of starting in their proper seed corral, without a time and place (and cut-off) penalty, that this might cause folks to self seed with more of an attachment to reality?

i'm surprised when i read that "self seeding at marathons does not work." in my experience it works spectacularly well, especially if you have pace masters setting a reliable pace for those shooting for a target time.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Change to North American Ironman Swim Starts [tdschnei] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tdschnei wrote:
Trihard4me,

I haven't seen you trolling around here in awhile. Were you in hibernation for the winter, or have I just not been in the right (wrong) threads? Or are you and hotman one in the same?

I've been in hibernation, training in the basement. The fresh spring air woke me up..... I'm back:-) As long as Dan does not ban me. I am just getting started too. Don't know who hotman is.
Quote Reply
Re: Change to North American Ironman Swim Starts [bmas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bmas wrote:
fierceSun wrote:
I would love to see some kind of qualification to get into the front corrals.

Agree this is a great idea. Should be easy to implement based on a previous iron or half-iron distance time or other certified time, which is easily verifiable. This works like a charm at the Boston Marathon where corrals are all filled with people of equal speed based on their similar qualification times.

I'm not sure this would work very well.

I know for a fact that an OWS sans wet-suit time would not be any true indication of what I'd do in a fresh-water, wet-suit swim. It would seed me faster than I should be for the conditions - and that's the thing - a mass start would allow me to asses conditions on the day and seed myself accordingly.
Quote Reply
Re: Change to North American Ironman Swim Starts [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bcagle25, devashish_paul

Fair enough, you both make a good points,

Everyone gets nervous; however, if there is a possibility you may flip out and have trouble during the swim then perhaps a bit more experience at smaller races should be gathered before entering a full distance mass start race. I just don’t see why the rules need to be changed to makeraces that sell out a year in advance more accessible, Just my opinion.

Perhaps I should focus on the safety advantages of thechanges rather than perceiving them as diminishing the race.

Last edited by: MattyB: May 9, 13 14:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
IT'S ALL BECAUSE MOST TRIATHLETES (SELF-PROCLAIMED MOPers and BOPers) REALLY SUCK BAD AT SWIMMING....

Generally true, but I know some really fast swimmers who suck at biking/running.

Quote:
They are also will have, "Anchored Resting Rafts".... seriously???
I don't see a problem with this. Would you rather that moper that "sucks at swimming" use you for a resting raft. The only time I've come close to drowning (while swimming) was while attempting to rescue a distressed swimmer.

Quote:
have them ACTUALLY TRAIN IN THE POOL AND OPEN WATER SWIMMING.

This is the most important thing of all (are you reading this, Endurance Nation?).

Quote:
you suck triathletes are ruining the sport.
They are actually making it more affordable for everyone.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Change to North American Ironman Swim Starts [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

They are actually making it more affordable for everyone.[/quote]
I don't how they are making it more affordable? More lifeguard to pay, those floating rafts cost money, the lawsuits against the RD and the venue increase our prices. I say those suck swimmer are costing us more money at the races because they are a liablity, a distaster waiting to happen.

Tell me please, is this a new thing for triathlete swimmers? I see multiple triathletes in the pool swimming 25 yards and then running backwards in the pool 25 yards and then repeating over and over and over. I think they put in 2000 or so yards but half is running in the pool. Is this some new EN thing? They swim hard that 25 yards too. However, it makes circle swimming impossible in a lane with some dude jogging backward in the lane.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trihard4me wrote:
Quote:

They are actually making it more affordable for everyone.

I don't how they are making it more affordable? More lifeguard to pay, those floating rafts cost money, the lawsuits against the RD and the venue increase our prices. I say those suck swimmer are costing us more money at the races because they are a liablity, a distaster waiting to happen.

Tell me please, is this a new thing for triathlete swimmers? I see multiple triathletes in the pool swimming 25 yards and then running backwards in the pool 25 yards and then repeating over and over and over. I think they put in 2000 or so yards but half is running in the pool. Is this some new EN thing? They swim hard that 25 yards too. However, it makes circle swimming impossible in a lane with some dude jogging backward in the lane.[/quote]
That must be some form of crossfit.