Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Challenge Miami Race Day Banter [piratetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
piratetri wrote:
We need more Greg Bennett commentating! He is a great interviewer and has excellent perspective

Yeh he was good. When all the shit talk started about 4:06 miles he shut that nonsense down immediately.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Miami Race Day Banter [Adman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anyone have a link to the results
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Miami Race Day Banter [piratetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
piratetri wrote:
We need more Greg Bennett commentating! He is a great interviewer and has excellent perspective

I didn’t get to see the race, but his podcast is about as good as any out there. He is such a humble guy but has the appropriate knowledge/background to as the appropriate questions. I actually look forward to Mondays so I can listen
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Miami Race Day Banter [swimslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Miami Race Day Banter [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jan is a GOAT, no doubt about it

BUT...I`m struggling with this feeling for years now, but I have to admit ->

I AM A LIONEL SANDERS FAN BOY

and today I realize that. I will get some help...but admit the problem is the first step! Right? haha
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Miami Race Day Banter [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man, Lionel is an ugly runner, but he gets it done - faster run split than Jan. Jan looks so effortless when he runs, and is quite the contrast to LS.

I remember Muskoka 70.3 in 2013 when I was heading out on the run - one of the Raelert brothers was there and was expected to win. The first male pro coming back was some young guy with Sanders on his bib. Who the F is this, I thought. Turned out, someone pretty good.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Miami Race Day Banter [tinman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tinman wrote:
Oh jeez, Nike super shoes now in the women's lead. Synthetic is gonna have a conniption fit!

uh isnt everyone wearing some version of super shoes? so it makes the race equal, and positions are being given respect here over run times.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Miami Race Day Banter [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew (not Andy) Starykowicz seems a little stressed as of late.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Miami Race Day Banter [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lionel had a great run split. Jan didn’t have to run at all...it would be crazy to see what he would run if pressured. Not sure he has been pushed since SA 70.3 Worlds where he ran out of his hip :(
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Miami Race Day Banter [Jicawa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jicawa wrote:

That interview was not his finest hour.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Miami Race Day Banter [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ecce-homo wrote:
She's an Olympic swimmer and ex European record holder in a number of distances. And also my coach ;-)

That's cool AF that she's your coach!!! I looked her up on Wiki and saw that she swam the breast leg of the 400 medley relay for Spain in 2004. She went 1:10.62 for 100 LCM breast, which pretty freaking fast IMO; the WR at the time was 1:06 high:)) Looks like she turned 33 in Jan 2021 so not quite as young as Lucy and some others.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Miami Race Day Banter [writersblock12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What did he say in the interview? I can't find it
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Miami Race Day Banter [writersblock12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
writersblock12 wrote:
Jicawa wrote:

True, but also literally just like every interview he's ever done. People like Wurf are fun for the sport - Wurf is loud and outspoken, but entertaining. Starky is just an asshole.

Re: Challenge Miami Race Day Banter [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uh, sure. But I wouldn't call Wurf fun for the sport either, he comes off as a jerk.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Miami Race Day Banter [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IKnowEverything wrote:
writersblock12 wrote:
Jicawa wrote:

True, but also literally just like every interview he's ever done. People like Wurf are fun for the sport - Wurf is loud and outspoken, but entertaining. Starky is just an asshole.

Agreed. The bulk of the others, when outspoken, are generally decent in nature. Starkey just seems like an un-fun and insecure jerk.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Miami Race Day Banter [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Uh, sure. But I wouldn't call Wurf fun for the sport either, he comes off as a jerk.

The difference for me is that Wurf has no problem giving himself as much shit as he gives everyone else. Self deprecation is integral to his humor. Starkey takes himself way too seriously for that.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Miami Race Day Banter [MRid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sara Perez Sala (ESP, 33) is a former Olympic Swimmer in Athens 2004 where she achieved the 7th place with Spanish Team in 4 x 200 Medley.

She tried to get her slot in 100 meters breaststroke in Beijing 2008 (being 20) but was unable to achieve the score by 0.3 seconds. She quitted from elite swimming in 2010 and started in Triathlon in 2012 just for fun.

In 2016 she started to fight for being in Tokyo 2020, but at this moment she is 64th and 3rd as spanish so it´s very difficult to achieve it as the other 2 Spaniards deserve their slots in these moments.

She Owns a Time Trial Bike (Cervelo P5 Disc) only one year ago (bought in a local shop) but she is able to score higher watts in the aerobar than in a hill in her road bike.

Her obvious skill is the swimming, but she experienced several problems in her adaptation to Open Water at the beginning of her triathlon career. She is a born-to-time trial, but she is not a former pro cyclists, although she competed in 2020 in 2 races for a UCI Team.

She is not a natural runner, but able to score a sub 37 in a 10K Race.

Hope she can grow in 70.3 races next seasons, as she is not interested in Ironman distance right now.
Last edited by: luarca: Mar 13, 21 1:15
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Miami Race Day Banter [tinman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was there volunteering all day yesterday to do my part and help out.

It was really pretty windy yesterday.

It’s a great venue to get to see some racing which seems like a silly thing to say but you simply walk up to the side of the track and they zip by. If you have a chance to visit or participate I suggest it.

Mask wearing was very much enforced in the registration area - temps were taken at entrance.

All the participants had to do extra paperwork on site and it really slowed things down. Two pages with a lot of the same info that went online. BUT everybody I helped was very very very calm and patient about it. Just thankful to get a chance to race I think.

The venue is HUGE. Like every new race I think they probably have about 1/10 of the directional signs that they will want for participants / spectators but that will come with time.

I’m very curious how the Sunday middle distance will go because I think they have the bike course using a Small section of us-1 (which is like a highway at that spot). I know the challenge team takes road closures seriously so I’m not questioning it I’m just curious to see how they do it. It wil be a very pretty bike course on card sound road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
Man, Lionel is an ugly runner, but he gets it done - faster run split than Jan. Jan looks so effortless when he runs, and is quite the contrast to LS.

I remember Muskoka 70.3 in 2013 when I was heading out on the run - one of the Raelert brothers was there and was expected to win. The first male pro coming back was some young guy with Sanders on his bib. Who the F is this, I thought. Turned out, someone pretty good.

I was in that race. Given I did it in about 6 hours Lionel was coming in on run as I was going out. Same reaction. Who is that guy? My daughter's highschool math teacher beat Lionel at Hamilton 30 K back at about the same time. Lionel got second in Around the Bay which is pretty high level. Good memories.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:

Is there any doubt in your mind that Jan could have run faster if he needed too, though? I didn’t watch but I’m confident he only did what he needed to win on the run.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Miami Race Day Banter [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does Lucy finish 2nd in every race? It's unreal she's like the Buffalo Bills of the 90's.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Miami Race Day Banter [bretzky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a Buffalo guy, this comparison hurts my soul.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bretzky wrote:
Does Lucy finish 2nd in every race? It's unreal she's like the Buffalo Bills of the 90's.

Haha, since we are on the championless QB theme, for now it looks like Lucy is in the club as Jim Kelly, Dan Marino and Fran Tarkenton. She just needs that one Kona win like Hellriegel in Kona 1997 that got him out of that club. She's young though. Elway pulled himself out of that group closing off his career. I think Peyton Manning took around 8 years for a Superbowl win....so Lucy has time. Not everyone can be like Paula Newby Fraser, Dave Scott, Mark Allen and Tom Brady
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also is it possible that Lucy is over swimming in many races. Just because you can swim fast does not mean it is not using incremental energy and building up lactate. Maybe if she just swam a touch slower she could have more for the back end of the run course. In smaller races she does not need as much juice to win by running faster. The incremental swim gap may not be worth the added fatigue that slows down the run a touch. I think she also had Covid19 for Challenge Daytona, and I don't know if it was a non event covid19 bout that was asymptomatic or if she got somewhat sick and lost training time.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Miami Race Day Banter [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have to feel bad for her though with her timing in the sport and the careers of Daniella and now Annie. Looking back at her past couple Kona performances not so much the swim but I wondered if she pushed too hard on the bike even if she just pulled back by a few minutes.
Quote Reply

Prev Next